Quantcast

Floor pump?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’ve been using an $18 nashbar pump for about 20 years. Zero maintenance. It’s blue colored and it lives in my car.
This orange SKS is my shop / garage pump now and hopefully it will last me the rest of my life.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Unlike a lot of mtb consumers, I don’t buy stuff simply because it’s more expensive.

Pumps are 150 year old tech and folks used to DIY them back in the day.
I was gonna say, how long to the Topeak's last? Given the parlance of our times, I doubt anything lasts over 25 years these days.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Preferable choice is to own a good HP pump for road tyres, a decent high volume pump for mtb and a compressor or booster pump for seating tubeless. any one floor pump that does all of that is going to be a compromise.
Or just make it simple and dont ride road bikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The best pump can pump air without a presta valve core. Its the main restriction to seating tubeless.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Unlike a lot of mtb consumers, I don’t buy stuff simply because it’s more expensive.

Pumps are 150 year old tech and folks used to DIY them back in the day.
my $18 bell department store HV pump is by far my best, like 8 years old. If that won’t seat it, the tank-style ones wont either, since the restriction is the valve.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The best pump can pump air without a presta valve core. Its the main restriction to seating tubeless.
Well. not quite. sufficiently fast air delivery over a reasonable continuous time is still a requirement for stuborn bead/rim combinations or high volume tyres and hand pumps or booster tanks simply cannot match a decent compressor in that respect

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well. not quite. sufficiently fast air delivery over a reasonable continuous time is still a requirement for stuborn bead/rim combinations or high volume tyres and hand pumps or booster tanks simply cannot match a decent compressor in that respect
Im of the opinion that it should not be necessary to own a compressor to own a mountain bike. If that cant be supported, then tubeless is not matured yet.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Im of the opinion that it should not be necessary to own a compressor to own a mountain bike.
and it doesn't.
But the fact of the matter is in order to seat certain tyre/tube combos tubeless one is required. Luckily there are still shops who have one and staff who can happily sort out your misfortune for a small fee

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Gary this Pump is All World. No need for a compressor. Even the Hose is Sick. I am working on the newest Model. Artical is from 2014.

No that is the One,and Sold Out,and 500 Dollars now.

I think I have found it,The Holy Grail,The One and Only,Second to None. Behold Monkeys,do we have the Winner?

Avy

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sorry, I'm not a dentist so I can't subscribe to this.

That said, my $50 beat up pump gets used 90% of the time. The expensive fancy Joe Blow pump sits in the shed collecting dust.

The cheap one works, it pumps up tires, doesn't bend or unscrew valves and heck, if it gets run over by a car or something, no loss really.

And actually, the cheap one is much easier to get off the valve. I've bloodied my knuckles countless times on the brake rotor and cassette with the expensive pump, it really grips onto the valve and needs a good yank to get off.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Gary this Pump is All World. No need for a compressor. Even the Hose is Sick. I am working on the newest Model. Artical is from 2014.

I think I have found it,The Holy Grail,The One and Only,Second to None. Behold Monkeys,do we have the Winner?

Avy

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I’ve been using an $18 nashbar pump for about 20 years. Zero maintenance. It’s blue colored and it lives in my car.
This orange SKS is my shop / garage pump now and hopefully it will last me the rest of my life.
Just ordered a new hose for my 12yr old Lezyne.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Sorry, I'm not a dentist so I can't subscribe to this.

That said, my $50 beat up pump gets used 90% of the time. The expensive fancy Joe Blow pump sits in the shed collecting dust.

The cheap one works, it pumps up tires, doesn't bend or unscrew valves and heck, if it gets run over by a car or something, no loss really.

And actually, the cheap one is much easier to get off the valve. I've bloodied my knuckles countless times on the brake rotor and cassette with the expensive pump, it really grips onto the valve and needs a good yank to get off.
Mabye not you’re floor plump,but I’m positive that All of you’re Bikes look like a Dentist salary. Nothing wrong with that. I just was dreaming lookin for the Best Floor Pump. I think I found it,mabye not?

Avy

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That enve is pretty cool but don't do road bikes so precision psi isn't my thing and the silca is pretty bad ass.. definitely made to be a workhorse and I'm sure the design internally is built to last...but I'll take my 60' of hose ony roof mount retractor with a park tools dual head filler/gauge...

I will say that both those items are pretty badass....If I had any sort of use for em that made sense financially I would get them...mainly the floor pump it's like a really cool tool to own just for appreciation that someone can create a cool tool.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I use one of these. Theoretically the gauge should be more accurate at MTB pressures since the middle of it's range is 20-30psi. It agrees with my digital pocket gauge, but I have no idea how accurate that is either.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis

Avy
Would you believe, I have one.

20230213_185515~2.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
when you spot those grips it'll feel felt like finding a penis on that beautiful woman.

*easily fixed I suppose

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't worry. I'm fairly sure it's not for a penis.

My guess is it's there to split the rear triangle to install a belt drive drivetrain. Which would still be a poor choice BTW

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Don't worry. I'm fairly sure it's not for a penis.

My guess is it's there to split the rear triangle to install a belt drive drivetrain. Which would still be a poor choice BTW
If that is the case,I would agree whole heart. I’ll have todo some homework on that.

I remember a while back this guy and his buddy did a long trip on the Belt Driven Reeb,but she was a EBike on youtube. CO to somewhere? Not a single complaint if I recall. It was a paid trip.

That caught my attention. For the Life of me I can not remember that bolt on the Frame? It was a HardTail.
I really think Reeb is a Top Notch Company. I Love Steel,and anybody workin with it.

Avy

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I use one of these. Theoretically the gauge should be more accurate at MTB pressures since the middle of it's range is 20-30psi. It agrees with my digital pocket gauge, but I have no idea how accurate that is either.

I have the same pump. Large volume, camo paint, reasonably accurate gauge, not so convenient hose management. A good pump.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I was gonna say, how long to the Topeak's last? Given the parlance of our times, I doubt anything lasts over 25 years these days.
I bought a Blackburn that had a lifetime warranty, after two years the chuck internals carved a hole through themselves and my LBS couldn't get parts. I remember my brother having Blackburn lights that were the best designed thing ever, the pump was a turd sandwich.

I bought a Specialized floor pump a couple of months ago because it had a big gauge and was made in Taiwan, it works and is hard to lose because it is bright as fuck.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If that is the case,I would agree whole heart. I’ll have todo some homework on that.

I remember a while back this guy and his buddy did a long trip on the Belt Driven Reeb,but she was a EBike on youtube. CO to somewhere? Not a single complaint if I recall. It was a paid trip.

That caught my attention. For the Life of me I can not remember that bolt on the Frame? It was a HardTail.
I really think Reeb is a Top Notch Company. I Love Steel,and anybody workin with it.

Avy
Yes the bolt is to split the frame for a belt, almost every ЯEEB hardtail has one.

I ran a belt a long time ago, was pretty solid.
img_1_1663240541118~2.jpg