Quantcast

floor pumps w/ tubeless tanks

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anyone using them? brand / model? opinions? considering getting one (i'm in need of a new floor pump anyways). i did a google and 2 different sites both recommended the Lezyne version, but curious to see what others are using.

FWIW i have an air compressor, but that isn't something i can toss in my car and take to the trails.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
anyone using them? brand / model? opinions? considering getting one (i'm in need of a new floor pump anyways). i did a google and 2 different sites both recommended the Lezyne version, but curious to see what others are using.

FWIW i have an air compressor, but that isn't something i can toss in my car and take to the trails.
I can see if i can remember the brand, but i wanna say Crank Brothers. There is one that you can fill the reservoir in the pump and use it as a compressor to seat TL tires. But its over 200! BRB.

Edit: Found it, it is Crank Brothers. Saw someone use it on a live stream on YT, and it worked great.
https://www.crankbrothers.com/collections/floor-pumps/products/klic-floor-digital-canister

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do those things actually work for tough to seat tire/rim combos?

(by that I mean, NOT maxxis TR versions)
from the article/reviews I've read, the Lezyne sounds like it does, and this is also including evaluation for seating tubeless road tires which run at higher pressures. i'll dig up the links

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
yea that's the style i'm looking at, pump w/ tank. the lezyne one is $160 for the digital guage version.
Link on original reply. Not sure if one is better. I'm sure there is a side by side video.

Do those things actually work for tough to seat tire/rim combos?

(by that I mean, NOT maxxis TR versions)
Yes, saw it work on a live stream, it was very impressive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you already have a good floor pump?
no, hence why i'm looking at the pump/tank combo. i have a 33gal air compressor at home, this would be for on the road use and those times late at night when the kids are already in bed and i don't feel like risking firing the compressor up.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
fwiw, I once needed to replace the head on one of my floor pumps. I ponied up and bought a Lezyne for $35. It was simple to use, just push and twist (or was it twist and pull? or push and twist? or twist and push?), anyways... it fell apart after a couple of months of use because I couldn't remember the proper sequence to use it, and would up unscrewing all the giblets that promptly fell all over the floor. with one critical part being lost forever. I wasn't impressed, and didn't bother buying a nother replacement head. I stuck to the $2 one from MEC (canadian equivalent to REI).

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Why not a good floor pump and then one of those air tank things separately? I feel like a lot of the combo pumps are gimmicky.

Look we combined these two functional items into one non functional item!! Progress.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Got one of these. Had it over a year.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/airwave-airblast-tubeless-tyre-track-pump/rp-prod142714
does what it's meant to do absolutely fine.
The only minor things i'd prefer it to do are.
1. have a slightly more detailed pressure guage. (but all the way up to going to 250psi is why it's not all that easy to judge the sweetspot between 25-40psi)
2. The gauge reads nothing close to accuarately until you pump some air into the line (because of the Airblast chamber)
3. have an automatic presta/shraeder valve head (it has a reversible chuck that takes 15 secs to switch over)
None of these things matter masively. But if they did a separate pressure gauge costs very little.
I tend to use my normal track pump for calibrating my pressures anyway.
Being from CRC. Anything goes wrong with it. Free shipping and fast warranty turn around.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why not a good floor pump and then one of those air tank things separately? I feel like a lot of the combo pumps are gimmicky.

Look we combined these two functional items into one non functional item!! Progress.
or... oh... look cyclists.. make 'em PAY TWICE for two separate expensive items that one cheaper product will do the same jobs just fine.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
oh... There actually is a huge advantage in using a combo tubeless track pump.
once it's shot it's load into your tyre you can continue pumping rather than just hope that one shot is enough to seal it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

or... oh... look cyclists.. make 'em PAY TWICE for two separate expensive items that one cheaper product will do the same jobs just fine.
oh... There actually is a huge advantage in using a combo tubeless track pump.
once it's shot it's load into your tyre you can continue pumping rather than just hope that one shot is enough to seal it.
Yea.... I'm with Gary on this one.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I know I can't believe what I'm saying either, but here we are.
lol, maybe there are some better ones out there than what I've seen, but the ones I've seen in action usually don't check all the boxes that I'd wan't in a floor pump. Such as the one Gary has that doesn't do a good job of reading pressures since it goes up to 10,000psi.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@rockofullr Nah... the gauge is actually accurate. the problem is reading the measurement...

you shouldn't have the same problem.
I'm old (and generally drunk) remember.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
We used an Airshot in our last multi-day trip. Worked like a charm when pumped with a dual-action hand pump, and we could seat two 27.5 tubeless tires with one charge. We got it to Max PSI with a floor pump before starting the trip, and then refilled it with a hand pump afte patching a sidewall cut. One of my riding buddies got it on a bro deal, so it was a winner on all accounts. 10/10 would bang it myself.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
@rockofullr Nah... the gauge is actually accurate. the problem is reading the measurement...

you shouldn't have the same problem.
I'm old (and generally drunk) remember.
Your thumb is probably a better pressure gauge than that thing.
Pressure gauges are considered to have questionable accuracy in the first and last 20% of their scale. So, on a 260 psi max gauge, it is questionable to use for pressures around 50 psi and under. In other words, useless for a mountain bike.
However, you can always buy a new gauge with a usable range for cheap. Almost all gauges use an 1/8” NPT thread IIRC, so replacements are fairly universal. Buy a snubber to put inline as well to prevent pressure spikes from killing the gauge.
That same rule of thumb holds true for digital gauges.

Your thumb is probably a better pressure gauge than that thing.
Pressure gauges are considered to have questionable accuracy in the first and last 20% of their scale. So, on a 260 psi max gauge, it is questionable to use for pressures around 50 psi and under. In other words, useless for a mountain bike.
However, you can always buy a new gauge with a usable range for cheap. Almost all gauges use an 1/8” NPT thread IIRC, so replacements are fairly universal. Buy a snubber to put inline as well to prevent pressure spikes from killing the gauge.
That same rule of thumb holds true for digital gauges.
And torque wrenches...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have the jenson pump. It works pretty well. Major complaints are build quality (it's pretty flimsy, but also 1/2 the price of competitors), and that it takes a lot of time for the air to reach the tire. IE, you kind of have to pump more to reach the same pressure as on another pump.

That being said, it's inflated G5s on stan's flows, cheap 2.8s on cheapo rims, ardents on chiner carbon rims, and specialized controls on chiner carbonz. The only thing it couldn't do was a continental der baron with a worn out bead on my stans flows.

in summary, I think it was totally worth the price and I would buy it again, but I also bought a 0-30 psi presta gauge, and have a separate pump for the garage. I don't think it's a great pump for a shop, but it's heckin good for your basement/garage workstation.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still have to try one of these before I give in and fire up the compressor, I have no idea how your Imperial system works but they pump a jug of beer or more each stroke.