Quantcast

? for car peeps

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
make up for it by doing your own 60, 80, 100k services. they are very easy on impreza's, and help can usually be bot by beer on NASIOC.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
make up for it by doing your own 60, 80, 100k services. they are very easy on impreza's, and help can usually be bot by beer on NASIOC.
I will. This is the first time in over ten years I've had to take any of my cars into someone else to have something fixed. The subie is due for a 60k, the dealer tried to get me to let them do it. I said no thanks.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
do you know if the person before you installed he remote start system himself or did a "pro" shop do it?
we never touched cars where people installed their own remote start or alarm systems....especially the ones that came with a vhs or dvd on how to install it :rofl:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
do you know if the person before you installed he remote start system himself or did a "pro" shop do it?
we never touched cars where people installed their own remote start or alarm systems....especially the ones that came with a vhs or dvd on how to install it :rofl:
No clue. Until yesterday I was completely unaware of its existence. Based on the pieces Subaru gave me I don't think its a self install, but if a shop did it they weren't a good one. I certianly don't wire aircraft like that. :eek:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Based on the pieces Subaru gave me I don't think its a self install,but if a shop did it they weren't a good one. I certianly don't wire aircraft like that. :eek:
what parts did they give you back? the remote starters "brain" and wiring harness?
the problem with doing a hack job on a remote start install, is that it can fvck with everything related to running your car.
thankfully, your short was easy enough to detect.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
what parts did they give you back? the remote starters "brain" and wiring harness?
the problem with doing a hack job on a remote start install, is that it can fvck with everything related to running your car.
thankfully, your short was easy enough to detect.
Just the harness, a relay, and a sh*t load of connectors.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Man I have done WAY too many repairs on cars with customer add ons. Man I really hate when people start diggin in the wiring under the dash.

Few months ago I had a customer calling about the air bag light. They were the second owner and had no idea about an alarm system that was installed in the car, neither did I at that time. Explain to customer Diag starts at an hour at 95 per.....

About four hours later I get another call from same customer..... Says he wanted to try to see is he could see something, when all of a sudden he says he could hear but his ears were ringing.... seems the airbag went off....

Car gets to the shop come to find out the previous owner instaled an alarm, and accidently pinched the air bag wire when running wiring for the alarm. A little static shock from the new owners finger in that mostly broken wire and BOOM.... Both air bags deployed

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Car gets to the shop come to find out the previous owner instaled an alarm, and accidently pinched the air bag wire when running wiring for the alarm. A little static shock from the new owners finger in that mostly broken wire and BOOM.... Both air bags deployed
wow, thats pretty horrendous.
i didnt even know there was a wire to pinch for the airbag or that something like that could happen when doing a alarm. hacks...airbag replacement is a pretty penny too.
basic electrical work on cars is fairly easy, but alarms and remote starters should be left to professionals or someone who knows wtf they are doing.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
So it didn't occur to this guy that maybe he should disconnect the battery before screwing with electrical crap? I'm horrified of the airbags going off, I always pull the ground off the battery. Airplanes are the same, its basic safety stuff. :disgust:

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
check that the connector that goes to the alternator from the batter terminal is all the way in. I had this problem with my leggy, it should be a two prong connector grey and slightly rectangular (2.2l/2.5l) , goes in the left side of the alternator. Just give it a try without it connected the alt doesn't feed the battery so the car will die out when you use electronics.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
So it didn't occur to this guy that maybe he should disconnect the battery before screwing with electrical crap? I'm horrified of the airbags going off, I always pull the ground off the battery. Airplanes are the same, its basic safety stuff. :disgust:
Thats the fun part with air bags....... Not only do you have to disconnect the air bag, you also have to discharge the capacitors in teh Air bag unit properly before touching them..... Even then, a static spark from your hands can set them off..

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
*le sigh*

Got a call from teh wife at work. Car was making a "funny" noise I could hear over the phone. I'm in the process of pulling of the crank pulley/timing belt cover and bearings fall out. Having problems with the pulley so not for sure what it is yet, but this :monkey: is less than pleased right now.

Edit: In b4 try it now!

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Well there's your Problem!

I guess I'm done for the night, parts store is closed and I need a drink. Taking tomorrow off from work to work on the car instead of the planes. Cars are dirty. :disgust:

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
*le sigh*

Got a call from teh wife at work. Car was making a "funny" noise I could hear over the phone. .
Can I come back to this? "funny" noise that was bad enough for you to hear over the phone, but the car was not immediately turned off... women.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I was driving home last night on the highway alongside a pickup, with my windows up. Suddenly I started hearing a high-pitch whining noise. I open my window, hear a bang noise and smell a strong scent of gear oil. Clearly the pickup had a differential blow up on him. I felt bad.

Hope this helps you.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I was driving home last night on the highway alongside a pickup, with my windows up. Suddenly I started hearing a high-pitch whining noise. I open my window, hear a bang noise and smell a strong scent of gear oil. Clearly the pickup had a differential blow up on him. I felt bad.

Hope this helps you.
moving from colorado back to tennessee the first time...i lost 5th gear in my 85 gti just outside of denver....drove to kansas with no 5th....swapped in a jetta with a lower 5th trans in kansas and resumed the drive with better gas mileage.

end cool story.