Quantcast

For the 888 owners...I don't know if you ever saw this...

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Brian, just so you know I'm running my 888 with the factory crowns and am very happy with it. Feels perfect to me,
That's because the front end of your choppered out bike actually got lower when you switched to the 888 :p ;) :D

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
I still want to see that.... Only because I am told there is only mm's to spare with the stock crowns set in the lowest position... But I don't typically run anything bigger than a 2.5, so I am not concerned about the 3.0 thing myself....

Brian
yeah, GR is claiming it will fit a 3.0 Gazz with the crown set at minimum height. There was a pic floating around a while ago...

I can see accomodating 2.8's b/c it's a popular race tire, but I think the 3.0 thing is a bit nuts - SO few people race on those anymore, and I think it's pretty well established that they're a lot slower than a smaller tire.....

Sep 10, 2001
But, DBR, not everybody who buys an 888 is interested in racing. I personally don't understand the whole 3.0 thing, but I get to hear from plenty of people how a 3.0 tire is the best thing since the invention of the DH bike....

Brian

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Did the 888R raise my HA? Yes. But I think it sits nicely and rides pretty damn good with the stock crowns. My reason for ordering the go-ride lower is because of my stupid tall head tube. I'm talking 166mm total stack. The max for the 888R is 167mm. I'm pushing the envelope, and want to error on the side of caution.

It has nothing to do with looks, as I like the all black look on the 888R, and the go-ride is not black. It is more of a safety thing, and being able to have just a little bit more adjustability
:p

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
I still want to see that.... Only because I am told there is only mm's to spare with the stock crowns set in the lowest position... But I don't typically run anything bigger than a 2.5, so I am not concerned about the 3.0 thing myself....

Brian
the bottom of the GR crowns are profiled to the tire radius to gain clearance.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
The G-R crowns fits gazza 3.0. I would love to hear WHY Marz actually made the 888 so tall.

Of cource, you can run more sag etc, but WHY????

888 is taller than a 200mm Monster, and taller than any other 200mm fork on the planet. Its taller than my prevois DHS8 (wich actually got more than 200mm travel and THICK crowns.

Ist 5 cm taller than a WBDH3

Just one question, WHY?

E

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Aw Brian, you suck j/k love ya man. So... should I cancel my go-ride order? It will be another week or two before they are ready any how.

I know you said I'll be all right with my fork the way it is. But it's kinda scary to think about sometimes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Risse has been building forks much longer than the guys @ GR, I think there crown/steerer looks fine to me. Plus I don't think thats a fair statement to make unless you have one in each hand. I can tell you already, I prefer the bolt on steerer is over the pressed one.
Most of the people that were around for their "earlier" stuff are gone.

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
BTW all.... I just ordered the crowns from Risse Racing. They will be shipping tomorrow, I believe that is what he said.

They were not that expensive and come in "BLACK". I will try them out and be the guinea pig. I'll let all you monkeys know how they work.

Brian, I'll still get the drop crown from you folks when they come out.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by binary visions
I would never buy a product from Risse, based strictly on the number of people who have commented how much weed they smoke on the job.

Speaking of which, last night I called Stratos to ask them for a price on a part that I need. I spoke to Catherine...super nice, knew her stuff and had all the info in front of her (plus she's originally from Montreal). Anyways, reminded me of the days with Grady there.

Then I call Risse today to ask them for something, some dude picks up and sounds like he's on a cordless phone in the backyard! Pretty funny...I have to admit they 'sound' pretty...ummm....carefree. It was nothing bad, I just noticed the difference that's all.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Speaking of which, last night I called Stratos to ask them for a price on a part that I need. I spoke to Catherine...super nice, knew her stuff and had all the info in front of her (plus she's originally from Montreal). Anyways, reminded me of the days with Grady there.

Then I call Risse today to ask them for something, some dude picks up and sounds like he's on a cordless phone in the backyard! Pretty funny...I have to admit they 'sound' pretty...ummm....carefree. It was nothing bad, I just noticed the difference that's all.
Yeah, it's like their day job is to smoke weed, and on the side they make some forks and shocks...:D

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ya, they spend the little they earn on the forks on weed, and they all live in that truck theyre sitting in.

By the way Jm If you put $5 down, and have good enough credit for 2% interest, you can own M6s by paying $8.72 a month for the next five years :thumb: I think you should change the signature to Finance Hopes

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Ya, they spend the little they earn on the forks on weed, and they all live in that truck theyre sitting in.

By the way Jm If you put $5 down, and have good enough credit for 2% interest, you can own M6s by paying $8.72 a month for the next five years :thumb: I think you should change the signature to Finance Hopes
No way, you wont believe this, but my local shop (that my buddy luke works at) got sent hope mono6 Tis by MISTAKE today. So I got to check em out :D

And they say nothing is free these days. I asked about putting my 8" hayes HFX in the box and sending it back like that....

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Jm_
These guys put an 888 on a 4" travel FSR-max frame...
Its the same as the FSR DH. At least it had the top gusset.

Thise crowns do look interesting though. Hopefully I will be getting one soon. Prob will just stick with the top crownns.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yeah, but the "cartoonish" features of paint were pretty fitting.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Repack
Its the same as the FSR DH. At least it had the top gusset.

Thise crowns do look interesting though. Hopefully I will be getting one soon. Prob will just stick with the top crownns.
Yeah, I know. It's the 6" version, but I was exaggerating, and an 888 on that bike is still Fing retarded.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
i can hear it now at Risse:

Worker A and B have a conversation

A - Dude some guys are making fun of our potheadness on RM

B - Those bitches no one makes fun of us, im gonna beat them up

A - These guys are hundreds of miles away man

B - Oh man, well theres nothing we can do

A - Except smoke weed !!!

B - Thats a great Idea

A - I'll meet you at the truck

B - I wonder why people think were such potheads?

A - I dont know man, but my hands are telling me to buy more weed

B - Your hands give you the best advice

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Why do you need a tensioner with a single ring and a Rolloff. The chain length should stay about the same on a FSR right?

The bike the 888 is on does look like a old 99 FSR extreme or a 00 Big Hit. I do think it is a FSR DH though. With their kits you can get 6--7-8 inches of travel with those bike. With the 7" 888 and their lowrider crowns I bet that bike would be pretty nice. Those old FSR bikes are pretty sweet.

My wifes is 6" rear with Arrow 3.0x24 and 7" front with a 26x2.8 Michy. The bike rails and weighs 37 lbs. I am having a Fox "PUSHED" as we speak for the bike.

Hey now dont knock the old FSR bikes till ya ride one or Ill have to sick my wife after ya.:D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Kanter
Why do you need a tensioner with a single ring and a Rolloff. The chain length should stay about the same on a FSR right?

you need a concentric pivot to not run a tensioner. The FSR would be no different from a Stinky in this case

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by steve45
hehehe, so apart from them being a bunch of potheads why do they have such a bad rep??
My guess would be that it has something to do with their customer service??? Maybe I'm wrong but from the 2 minutes I spent with a guy there, I didn't think I could get into an indepth conversation about anything. Gotta keep it simple and straight forward.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by BlackDiamond
BTW all.... I just ordered the crowns from Risse Racing. They will be shipping tomorrow, I believe that is what he said.

They were not that expensive and come in "BLACK". I will try them out and be the guinea pig. I'll let all you monkeys know how they work.

Brian, I'll still get the drop crown from you folks when they come out.
Come on man, spill it! How much are they!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Brian,

Do you have any idea on availability of the new drop crown? Do you think it will be an option soon?

I know you said that all you've seen was a pic of the new drop crown, so I doubt you have much info yet, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

.......But I went and bought an engagement ring instead....
That awesome man! Congrats!

As for Risse, a couple of summers ago I met up with some of their earlier/original employees that had left. They said that the quality of the product was dropping considerably, and the owner was doing anything possible to make an extra buck, like reducing the amount of overlap on the dh forks, so they could use less tubing, using lower quality materials, they would reuse old seals when people would send their forks in for warranty.........

it's too bad. seems as though they have some good ideas, if they could get their heads on straight, they might be able to produce some nice stuff

Sep 10, 2001
Actually, I have seen more than a pic of the drop crown, I have seen the first sample mounted on a large V10. They should be available in the next couple of weeks.

Brian

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How far are they going to drop the fork? Weight? Colors? Come on Brian give us a little taste.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Wonder if it will be affordable...I would hope they could make good and offer it for a cheaper price then the GR's

Sep 10, 2001
I don't have exact numbers right now.... But it is a pretty good drop. The one I have seen was raw, fresh out of the shop,but I would expect black on the color.

We are having them CNC'ed by a machine shop we have been working with for our moto clamps.

I can't get a final price until our total numbers we need to run are finalized.

Brian