Quantcast

Fort William World Cup - Live Thread

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Aaron Gwin is 4th overall in World Cup right now.

Calling the history buffs again, but, its been over a decade since that has happened?

USA USA USA

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Aaron Gwin is 4th overall in World Cup right now.

Calling the history buffs again, but, its been over a decade since that has happened?

USA USA USA
Yeah surely Myles Rockwell was the last yank to be this competitive, circa '99/'00

Gwin's demeanor is all business, no bull, just performance, switched to clipless because it made me faster even though flats are the accepted "cool" choice. Everything he does is based on the result, fantastic to have him mixing it up in the top 5. Unfortunately he ran a too big a gear in the final pedally section today, cost him big......always learning!

Also Cam Cole possibly cost himself the win with his sick whips of the hip and final jump haha!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The people say on WC circuit, split times arent to trust, they arent correct.
So what's the deal? How are the split times done? We now have splits at one of the UK's regional series, and the times are as reliable as the finish time, as they're done in exactly the same way - with extra light gates on the way down. They even have a speed trap (using two close light gates) now too! :)

A mini write-up

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
What is happening with Peaty?
Is the fit or the new bike?

"Gwin's demeanor is all business, no bull, just performance, switched to clipless because it made him faster even though flats are the accepted "cool" choice"

He rode Schladming 2009 and Maribor last race on flat pedals.

Cant wait for Champery and Val di Sole.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004

"Gwin's demeanor is all business, no bull, just performance, switched to clipless because it made him faster even though flats are the accepted "cool" choice"

He rode Schladming 2009 and Maribor last race on flat pedals.
Yeah he chooses what pedals suit best for the conditions, but seems he is favouring clipless now more and more

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah he chooses what pedals suit best for the conditions, but seems he is favouring clipless now more and more
Which might be explained somewhat by James Wilson's blog posts during the winter on the subject of clipless or not. James kept trying to pitch to his readers the idea that flats are just as efficient. It takes a pretty naive perspective to say that flats are equally or even more efficient tools for pedaling. They're simply equal tools for standing on your bike. Pedaling involves a bit more than standing on your pedals.

At the risk of sacrilege (mentioning roadies in the DH forum), there's a really good reason all road riders and XC racers use clipless. And it's not about having an anal-retentive personality, a lycra fetish, or a leg-shaving clique.:D

Last edited:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Which might be explained somewhat by James Wilson's blog posts during the winter on the subject of clipless or not. James kept trying to pitch to his readers the idea that flats are just as efficient. It takes a pretty naive perspective to say that flats are equally or even more efficient tools for pedaling. They're simply equal tools for standing on your bike. Pedaling involves a bit more than standing on your pedals.

At the risk of sacrilege (mentioning roadies in the DH forum), there's a really good reason all road riders and XC racers use clipless. And it's not about having an anal-retentive personality, a lycra fetish, or a leg-shaving clique.:D

There is also a lot more benefits in other areas of riding from riding clipless, not just pedaling, there are also huge benefits in certain situations on flats. Horses for courses

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
There is also a lot more benefits in other areas of riding from riding clipless, not just pedaling, there are also huge benefits in certain situations on flats. Horses for courses
For sure. And if a rider is sketched out being clipped in, the psychological penalty may keep him or her from winning. I'm just talking about what's more efficient if you have to pedal. Even with a good flat pedal and sticky 5.10 rubber soles, clipless pedals are still more effective at turning human power into forward movement. But that can't overcome being psyched out by the fear of not being able to put your foot out easily, etc.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So with only 4 more races to go, does this mean that Sam Hill is out of being the overall champion? Can he even get into top 3?
anything's possible, i remember the '01 and '05 points chase being pretty wild as guys kept taking themselves out. in '05 minnaar ran away with it and Hill ended up in 2nd despite missing 2 rounds with his broken elbow.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You can always count on rain in champery and val di sole ;) With more technical tracks the results may get a bit more wild.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
So with only 4 more races to go, does this mean that Sam Hill is out of being the overall champion? Can he even get into top 3?
We nerver know....there are 2 courses that Hill can win easily(with no problems), Val di Sole and Champery. The another 2, Leogang(what I saw maybe suit his style) and Windham is difficult to say.

But definetelly Minnaar and Gee must crash till the last round on their race runs with he wants the overall.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
A bunch of photos from today in Ft Bill. As everyone already knows, Gee Atherton and Sabrina Jonnier took home the wins. Sam Hill has a shoulder injury and wasn't able to race, although he attempted to practice this morning just in case.

Attachments

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
A bunch of photos from today in Ft Bill. As everyone already knows, Gee Atherton and Sabrina Jonnier took home the wins. Sam Hill has a shoulder injury and wasn't able to race, although he attempted to practice this morning just in case.
Ha Bryceland has his Skins shorts on over his knee guards, defeats the purpose me thinks.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Oh and since we all bitch about it when it's down, worth mentioning that freecaster was FLAWLESS for me this weekend - both the 4x and the DH, not a *single* dropout or glitch with it.

chromagnus

Chimp
Apr 21, 2009
Oh and since we all bitch about it when it's down, worth mentioning that freecaster was FLAWLESS for me this weekend - both the 4x and the DH, not a *single* dropout or glitch with it.
:stupid:
Thanks Freecaster. It was great to watch a race again. No glitches here either.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
freecaster worked pretty darn well for me except the forzen screen now and then.

It was nice to hear all the people coming in to chat with Rob Warner. Loved Cedric's comment "they need to import womens in containers" :rofl:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Likewise - think the DH feed dropped once for me but that mighta been my connection/ram anyway. Quality was excellent, loved the footage and the commentary. Thanks Freecaster!

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I was working today, does anyone know when the re-play will be up?

Also whats up with Sick Micks twin valves?
Le system?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW

Maybe after his Worlds win last year he got all serious to make a repeat happen and quit drinking again. Remember what happened when he did that a few years ago? Failure.

Come to think of it, he probably quit filling his Monster cans with Stella...he's actually drinking that ****.

Attachments

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
hmmm seems like the fact it has two different coloured valves is important...

Freecaster replay (4x) still not working for me, plays like 5 seconds then dies :(

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
cant say the same unfortunatley about freecaster this weekend

it kept freezing and for the majority of the time i only heard aneke beerteen gracia and warner

however freecaster works perfectly and it is very easy for someone to sit back form their home and give out about a free service which these days people from the other side of the world expect to be running perfectly

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Likewise - think the DH feed dropped once for me but that mighta been my connection/ram anyway. Quality was excellent, loved the footage and the commentary. Thanks Freecaster!
Same here. Dropped once but quickly got back. Great quality. Wish my laptop worked better with high res as for sure my connection does.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Awesome event, awesome track, awesome race, awesome racers.

Freecaster was 99% down here. I had an 'error' window come up on the feed but it didn't stop the feed and a refresh fixed it.

Cam Cole FVCK yeah Boi!!

Cedrics no hander and MASSIVE whipped out triple - LEGEND!!!