Quantcast

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
:stupid:

I'd be really impressed if you can get a moto down a lot of the stuff on the triple side.
Watch Erzberg, then rethink that statement. This stuff scares the sh*t of of me just watching it.
Then remember that they're doing this for something crazy like 3-5 hours straight. Makes any DH riding I've ever done look like the special olympics.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
^^ great video, some of the stuff they were riding over is ridiculous.

slightly OT but heres a vid of Peaty and Warner mucking about on trials
bikes

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Watch Erzberg, then rethink that statement. This stuff scares the sh*t of of me just watching it.
Then remember that they're doing this for something crazy like 3-5 hours straight. Makes any DH riding I've ever done look like the special olympics.
That video just solidifies that Gee would crush Knight down Platty.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
That video just solidifies that Gee would crush Knight down Platty.
ok thats great but they arent racing at Platty and no **** a DH bike would be faster then a moto in tight woods. And for the record they are racing FORT BILL! NOT PLATTY.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Well come on, let's be realistic here. It's not like anybody has any doubts about which is faster in the wide open. They're trying to make it interesting. And perhaps show that in certain terrains, a non-powered vehicle might actually be faster and than a powered vehicle.

Of course it's stupid, I just see it as ammo to all the guys at work that say I'm a wimp for riding a bicycle rather than a moto.
No no, I agree with you. It's just that those guys who talk sh!t are going to use this as ammo as the game has been obviously handicapped in favor of DH.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
knight easily winning. 250 2-stroke is my guess for which bike he would be fastest on.
I doubt that. I'd go with a 450 4-stroke, simply because the compression braking of the 4-stroke is very useful in the steeps, and the lug of the four would really help when getting the front up off tight, tech drops. You'd have to focus too much on braking and staying in the powerband on the 2stroke thru tech sections for it to be all that potent.

In fact, I'd think most good riders would be faster on a full-on enduro than even the 450 class MX bike because of the enduro's forgiveness and low-end.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I doubt that. I'd go with a 450 4-stroke, simply because the compression braking of the 4-stroke is very useful in the steeps, and the lug of the four would really help when getting the front up off tight, tech drops. You'd have to focus too much on braking and staying in the powerband on the 2stroke thru tech sections for it to be all that potent.

In fact, I'd think most good riders would be faster on a full-on enduro than even the 450 class MX bike because of the enduro's forgiveness and low-end.
Not to be argumentative, but have you ever ridden a 450 in tight stuff? I have a '08 KTM 450SXF and race MX and hare scrambles quite a bit. My 450 is slower in tight stuff than the 250 2t and 300 2t bikes that I have ridden. Sure, the 450 blows everything else out of the water if it's a little bit open. The problem is that you can't throw the 450 side to side very fast compared to a 250 2t.

Again, I love my 450. It is faster almost anywhere. But I think you will see knight on a 250 unless KTM tells him to ride a 450.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not to be argumentative, but have you ever ridden a 450 in tight stuff? I have a '08 KTM 450SXF and race MX and hare scrambles quite a bit. My 450 is slower in tight stuff than the 250 2t and 300 2t bikes that I have ridden. Sure, the 450 blows everything else out of the water if it's a little bit open. The problem is that you can't throw the 450 side to side very fast compared to a 250 2t.

Again, I love my 450. It is faster almost anywhere. But I think you will see knight on a 250 unless KTM tells him to ride a 450.
Knighter always rides the 300 XC (tighter gearbox) when he rides a 2T.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW

Yeah, quite a bit actually, and I've spent quite a bit more time on a 2stroke 250. Almost all of my riding is done in the woods in western washington. Tight, steep, wet. I'd take the low end power over the lighter/lower weight any day. I can see for a smaller/lighter rider where that may not be the case, but I'm a fairly big guy, and I know that while I have quite a few pounds on Knight, he's a hell of a lot scrappier and more fit than I am, so he prob can handle the taller, heavier bike fine as well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
there's actually nothing steep at Fort william it's mainly a gradual gradient and other than a very short wooded section nothing properly tight either.

Gee will have a major advantage from all the racing/riding he's done there over the years.
And I can't see them allowing this knight guy to bang out loads of practice runs (well I certainly hope not, I'd expect a crosser to make an awful mess of any of the softer parts of track).
the crosser should be quicker for the first fairly flat and smooth hardpack 30-40secs to the start of the rocks and the final 40secs of motorway and I can't really see a crosser being troubled by any of the straight rock gardens so it's all down to how quickly he can learn the lines and how much speed he can hold in the tighter corners really. If given infinite practice I'd expect him to beat Gee by quite a large margin.

I'd like to see FMX guys hit the Tissot and the kicker into the 4X.. wonder if those nutters could double up right down to the tripple?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
The SINGLE clip I saw in there of riders going down a hill rather than up it made them look like total punters. That sort of terrain is where bikes will absolutely tear motos apart.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've never ridden Ft Bill, but on any of our local DH tracks there's no way I could get my moto down faster than my DH bike. Unless Ft Bill is a total freeway, the width of a DH track would lend itself to the DH bike outcornering and out-braking a moto anyday.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Yeah, quite a bit actually, and I've spent quite a bit more time on a 2stroke 250. Almost all of my riding is done in the woods in western washington. Tight, steep, wet. I'd take the low end power over the lighter/lower weight any day. I can see for a smaller/lighter rider where that may not be the case, but I'm a fairly big guy, and I know that while I have quite a few pounds on Knight, he's a hell of a lot scrappier and more fit than I am, so he prob can handle the taller, heavier bike fine as well.
you make a valid point in that Knight is 6'4" and can handle a bigger thumper easier than most, that doesnt mean conceptually a 450f is best suited for the course, he may ride one cause he is used to it and cant be arsed to change.

but your perspective seems to be based on anecdotal evidence from puttering around on a 250 MX bike in the washington woods.
you may think a 450f would be more effective, but you haven't riden the quiver of bikes available to Knight, nor the skill to maximize their effectiveness. also obviously Knight's KTMs would be better tuned than the 250 and 450motocross bikes you have ridden.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I just asked Nate Kanney (FMF/KTM factory) and he is of the opinion that the DH bike will have an advantage in only the steepest most tech, turny tracks. He has ridden, understands, and definetely respects Downhill but feels Knight has a big advantage.
He mentioned a 250xc would be his bike of choice.

This is gonna be a pretty interesting and exciting stunt no doubt, cant wait to see it. ...and meaninglessly argue about it in the mean time. Its all in good fun!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I hope they do a GPS/accelerometer trace on both bikes so we can see where each bike goes faster, look at cornering speeds, etc.

The more I think about the course, the more I think the moto has the advantage. Right out of the start the moto is going to put 200 m on Gee even before the first berm... They really need to move this race to Champery or Schladming or something... :)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The SINGLE clip I saw in there of riders going down a hill rather than up it made them look like total punters. That sort of terrain is where bikes will absolutely tear motos apart.
Most of the riders in that race are just trying to finish and ride REAL conservatively. They try to finish within the 6 hour time limit. Knighter usually finishes around an hour and a half.

In my experience most moto guys ARE punters when it comes to riding descents though. Riding down singletrack and techy stuff fast is just something they don't get exposed to often.

I just watched Gee's 2010 Ft William run again, and I couldn't help but think that every time he turns a pedal, Knight will be tapping 50 (that's fifty) horsepower. Although a 2 stroke makes more sense, I hope Knighter rides the big 530, which is what he won this years World Enduro Championship on and also what I ride, haha.

I do think this race is pretty silly - both guys are incredible athletes and both sports are super cool - isn't that enough? But the speculation is fun I guess. Hopefully we'll see some clean seamless footage and they won't make too much of a production out of it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I just watched Gee's 2010 Ft William run again, and I couldn't help but think that every time he turns a pedal, Knight will be tapping 50 (that's fifty) horsepower. Although a 2 stroke makes more sense, I hope Knighter rides the big 530, which is what he won this years World Enduro Championship on and also what I ride, haha.

I do think this race is pretty silly - both guys are incredible athletes and both sports are super cool - isn't that enough? But the speculation is fun I guess. Hopefully we'll see some clean seamless footage and they won't make too much of a production out of it.
Quick acceleration's all well and good, but he's going to lose a lot in not carrying as much speed through tech sections as Gee can on a more precise more nimble machine. And he knows it - Knight himself is saying he thinks it'll be close, and I'm sure he's well aware of his 50 ponies he has to help him out!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Looking at it mathematicly. What percentage of track will the moto have an advantage? What percentage of time will he advance? Compare this to what percentage the pushie will have the advantage? and what percent faster it will be there.
80% faster for 10% track compared to 20% faster for 90% of track isn't going to win(this is an exagerated hypperthetical to show my point).
Can someone with a clue, watch a timed run of the track, and calculate where a moto could outperform, and by how much.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Indeed.

Here's a similar take

I couldn't ride behind a bike for that long. The fumes would make me
I can't stand getting stuck behind a car for a few seconds during an urban ride let alone a few minutes behind (what looks to be [computer muted]) a 2-stroke bike with no emissions crap on it...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Looking at it mathematicly. What percentage of track will the moto have an advantage? What percentage of time will he advance? Compare this to what percentage the pushie will have the advantage? and what percent faster it will be there.
80% faster for 10% track compared to 20% faster for 90% of track isn't going to win(this is an exagerated hypperthetical to show my point).
Can someone with no life, watch a timed run of the track, and calculate where a moto could outperform, and by how much.
fixed that for ya ;)