Quantcast

Gear Improvements the Industry Should Make

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, if you want me to ask these people anything let me know. I plan to go rant at shitmano for their brakes, fox for basically everything, Scott for that ridiculous enclosed shock design, specialized for yokes, etc. evidently stans is considering large volume stems.
554DC923-2AD5-4FA7-9856-B5B7EFB99521.jpeg
47437924-F710-4C44-86EB-0DB111630E46.jpeg
9B14E1BB-40E7-4568-A104-9D6022139D8C.jpeg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are the bigger ones better than the small ones?
Asking for a friend.
I just took a picture of what was out but the techs agreed with me and said that higher volume stems are supposedly in the plans. The production cost is the main issue according to them.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The 2.4 Rekon EXO+ is a solid option. Front and rear or a Dissector up front for a little more grip.
Awesome. I've got an XC thing tomorrow so while switching tyres I just trialled a 2.4 Rekon on the back to check clearance (the carbon Smuggler has industry-worst tyre clearance) and it fits so I'll try to get a 2.4 EXO+ version for proper riding.

Meanwhile in Mazzholistan, I am going to install Minion SS DD in the rear for competent side knobs and low rolling resistance.
I've run those in the past for a bit of a laugh but the braking is super spicy. If you're on 27.5 try a Speshy Slaughter Grid. Its better IMHO - I'd love to grab one again but don't know if they exist in 29er. I've never seen one in stock.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
This. And if we can't have this, an alternative might be a quick and simple way to re-bed pads and rotors. I remember seeing a contraption during WC coverage that one of the teams had rigged for on-the-spot brake bedding. It consisted of a lever and caliper mounted to a platform with a rotor mounted to an electric drill. The drill speed simulated a wheel spinning at a rate high enough to bed new pads when the lever was pulled.

Got a little junk on your pads? No problem. Pop them out, put them into this contraption, run the drill, pull and hold the lever until the rotor almost stops. Repeat a dozen times. Pop them back into your bike.

Maybe not for every rider, but any long-term Shimano brake user would make proper use out of it. I might actually try and build this.

Found it: https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/The-Wizardry-of-Canyon-Factory-Mechanic-Nigel-Reeve,2756
buy one of these, remove the bar, chain, and clutch cover, and weld a BMX peg on the drive sprocket. Push the peg against the tire and rev her up and drag the brakes.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
And what I think the industry needs is a stronger standard testing body. Someone to come up with a better test for helmets that actually simulates a real human with skin and hair and to test and certify them all. And one to test tires, having to trust journalists or internet randos to figure out what tires are actually better than what other tires in your local conditions is a pain. Especially if you've already been bitten by trusting the maxxis is best brain trust.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
ve run those in the past for a bit of a laugh but the braking is super spicy. If you're on 27.5 try a Speshy Slaughter Grid. Its better IMHO - I'd love to grab one again but don't know if they exist in 29er. I've never seen one in stock.
I tried the Grid Slaughter a few times and it just won't last under my talentless hacky ass. I have had much better luck with the Blck dmnd Eliminator, but they are moar heavy and draggy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Especially if you've already been bitten by trusting the maxxis is best brain trust.
I went from Minions and spent a few years wasting money on other brands and ended up back at DHFs, a 2.5" Minion with DH casing is more capable than I will ever be.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I went from Minions and spent a few years wasting money on other brands and ended up back at DHFs, a 2.5" Minion DH with casing is more capable than I will ever be.
Yeah my issue is more on the rear tire for a bike that gets pedaled. Thats the hardest thing, good traction for the surfaces you're going to climb on without being a slug, like year DHR does techy climbs good in the back but its draggy back there.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah my issue is more on the rear tire for a bike that gets pedaled. Thats the hardest thing, good traction for the surfaces you're going to climb on without being a slug, like year DHR does techy climbs good in the back but its draggy back there.
Yeah I hate the DHR, rolls slow and wears out fast.
I did a 100+km road ride with a ST DHF Minion on the back, it was a sad looking tire by the end of the ride.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Agree. Running the same bottle cage due to tight clearance and has been solid over the past year.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I still cannot get over the fact that Maxxis stopped making the Larsen TT and never offered one in a 2.5 size. Such a great rear tire for dry conditions.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I still cannot get over the fact that Maxxis stopped making the Larsen TT and never offered one in a 2.5 size. Such a great rear tire for dry conditions.
Speaking of discontinued tires. I always liked the ADvantage.

First "high volume" tire they made, I think. The 2.4's looked like today's 2.6. Big lugs and side knobs for an XC tire. Worked well everywhere.

If I rode it today I'd probably be like, This tire sucks! HA

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/advantage/

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Fuck! Since when?
Not sure. I know they existed, but had enough Larsen TTs on stock to bother. Because I will need some replacement for them soon-ish, I was looking for a Minion SS. I cannot seem to find it in webshops and checked the Maxxis webpage and they do not list a 26" option anymore.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
heh. side load lezyne has never let me down, from pisgah to windrock to snowshoe. maybe you guys are just running the wrong water bottle?
View attachment 175758
Similar design to my Blackburn Wayside. I lost only 1 bottle in 3 years of lift-assisted MSA riding with it.

I bought another one for the hardtail I am currently building. I guess this will be the real test.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Not to overargue a minor point, but the Lezyne Flow SL has never let me down mounted to top of downtube. Ymmv.

The King 12oz beer can cages are intriguing. I’d run a LaCroix in mine.

Minion side knobs with Dissector center tread would be a fun rear tire to try. Dissectors are OK when new, but the side knobs wear/ tear quickly. I don’t see the point of their puny size.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not sure. I know they existed, but had enough Larsen TTs on stock to bother. Because I will need some replacement for them soon-ish, I was looking for a Minion SS. I cannot seem to find it in webshops and checked the Maxxis webpage and they do not list a 26" option anymore.
Pretty sure I still have some new unused 26" minion SS stashed.
I even still have some new unused Bling Blings.
Are Rock Razors, BBGs, or Slaughters still available in 26?

Ps. Fuck you Maxxis
#264LYF

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Pretty sure I still have some new unused 26" minion SS stashed.
I even still have some new unused Bling Blings.
Are Rock Razors, BBGs, or Slaughters still available in 26?

Ps. Fuck you Maxxis
#264LYF
Aren't you worried about old tires going hard and potentially cracking?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Minion / Rekon is a no; too much of a mismatch.
Minion / Dissector is good.
Dissector needs Minion side knobs.
Dissector / Rekon seems like a good pairing.

Am I the only one to go Fabric for a bottle solution that is not easy to lose?
I have no complaints.

1651366010055.png

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Speaking of discontinued tires. I always liked the ADvantage.

First "high volume" tire they made, I think. The 2.4's looked like today's 2.6. Big lugs and side knobs for an XC tire. Worked well everywhere.

If I rode it today I'd probably be like, This tire sucks! HA

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/advantage/
preach dude. it was designed as an xc mud tire, but it was a great trail tire. the 2.4 was the best size by a long shot. still have 2 of them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i still have a 26" one of those kicking around.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I want a Dissector with Minion side knobs in MG, and center knobs in super hard 2C so that it lasts more than a month.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Advantage front Larsen rear on the hard tail was a great combo. Now running Dissector front Aggressor rear which is great. I can see the Dissector being good on the rear but wearing quick

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Am I the only one to go Fabric for a bottle solution that is not easy to lose?
I have no complaints.

View attachment 175801
I bought one and couldn't squeeze the bottle which made me feel weak, so it never made it to the bike.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Setting up the Magic Mary SG VertStar tubeless should not be this hard.
That's weird I always found they popped out better than Maxxis offerings. It's like their default setting seems to spring them against the rim sides more than Maxxis does.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's weird I always found they popped out better than Maxxis offerings. It's like their default setting seems to spring them against the rim sides more than Maxxis does.
This specimen is an extremely tight fit, it was near impossible getting it on the rim. It's getting stretched with a tube right now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You know, a universal battery could be a cool idea. The reality is we are moving toward more battery and electronic innovation on our bikes, even if they aren't e-bikes. Having a compartment that fits a battery that can control your lights, head unit, dropper, derailleurs, live valves, power pedals, toaster, and vibrator would be a nice feature. Integrate it right into the frame and let mfgs run a USB-C off their gadgets.

You know, a universal battery could be a cool idea. The reality is we are moving toward more battery and electronic innovation on our bikes, even if they aren't e-bikes. Having a compartment that fits a battery that can control your lights, head unit, dropper, derailleurs, live valves, power pedals, toaster, and vibrator would be a nice feature. Integrate it right into the frame and let mfgs run a USB-C off their gadgets.
USB-C might not be it, want something reasonably resistant to water and dust penetration.