Quantcast

giant dont make the faith any more?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The faith is no longer made. The opted to use the glory 8 instead. The funny thing is that with flipped links the faith has much better race geo than the glory dh. And as far as the faith vs sunday thing I can't really comment too much. The faith is a fast race bike with the flipped links and the sunday is a fast race bike. The faith is about a half pound heavier than a sunday (frame weights) but the faith is also a whole hell of a lot cheaper than a sunday.

If you're looking for a great race bike either will suit you and I'd say both are equally capable, the faith just happens to cost less and be uglier.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
ive never heard about flipped links, but i do know if you have your lbs call giant they will have a bunch of 06 completes around and even more framesets. hell theres a good chance they would have an o5 faith 3 stille there.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I bought a 05 Faith 2 super cheap last year and have been loving it. Since I got the bike complete, it's a pretty heavy build compared to most people's sundays. I'm kinda scared to weigh it.

I've never flipped the links, but I'm pretyt happy with the way it rides currently although I never really think of it as much as a race bike as a sunday. For the price tho, the faith was an awesome deal.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
I would love to hear more opinions about Faiths. Is the Faith a good DH bike? Isn`t it too heavy? Why didn`t Giant design the bike with the links "properly" flipped? And if it is so damn good why did Giant stop making them only after a few years?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
giant seems to like ditching perfectly good bikes for some over the top bikes. they had the giant dh comp. good bike sure it wasnt maestro suspension but it was semi affordable. but they ditched it for a 5000$ glory with no lower end version or even a frameset. They are doing the same with the faith. My giant dealer told me back in o5 that the faith 3 was on back order because it was so poppular. it was a good frame that u could get built up wiht decent parts for 2k. so for o6 they stopped making the faith 3 and just had the faith and faith2. yet they kept the frameset color the same as the o5 frameset color.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I would love to hear more opinions about Faiths. Is the Faith a good DH bike? Isn`t it too heavy? Why didn`t Giant design the bike with the links "properly" flipped? And if it is so damn good why did Giant stop making them only after a few years?
The faith is an awesome DH bike. If you're on a budget it is the best you will find in my opinion. The frame weighs about 12.5 pounds for a medium. So it is a little heavy but the sunday isn't much lighter and people never complain about the weight on those. Giant was trying to market the bike as a FR bike. The links have a hole drilled in them for the shock mount and the hole is off center. Giant put them in the position (offset closer to frame) to give the bike a "FR" type geometry and feel. But once Amiel Cavalier's mechanics flipped the links on his faith and he won junior worlds on it the "secret" kind of got out. Once people started flipping the links they realised it is a great race bike.

My theory on why giant stopped making them is that the bikes were cutting into the sales of their glory (which was marketed for DH). But with flipped links the faith has awesome geometry, and the geometry on the glory is kind of wack. So obviously people are going to go for the cheaper, lower, slacker, lighter bike.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
The faith is an awesome DH bike. If you're on a budget it is the best you will find in my opinion. The frame weighs about 12.5 pounds for a medium. So it is a little heavy but the sunday isn't much lighter and people never complain about the weight on those. Giant was trying to market the bike as a FR bike. The links have a hole drilled in them for the shock mount and the hole is off center. Giant put them in the position (offset closer to frame) to give the bike a "FR" type geometry and feel. But once Amiel Cavalier's mechanics flipped the links on his faith and he won junior worlds on it the "secret" kind of got out. Once people started flipping the links they realised it is a great race bike.

My theory on why giant stopped making them is that the bikes were cutting into the sales of their glory (which was marketed for DH). But with flipped links the faith has awesome geometry, and the geometry on the glory is kind of wack. So obviously people are going to go for the cheaper, lower, slacker, lighter bike.

HERE HERE!

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
should the rear shock have to be treated like the shock on the sunday? (revalve?)
and, do you have apicture of a faith with the link fliped?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
should the rear shock have to be treated like the shock on the sunday? (revalve?)
and, do you have apicture of a faith with the link fliped?
No. The faith gets 8.25 inches of travel from a 2.75 inch stroke shock. That means it has a 3:1 overall leverage ratio which is what most shocks come tuned for from their manufacturer's.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
The faith is an awesome DH bike. If you're on a budget it is the best you will find in my opinion. The frame weighs about 12.5 pounds for a medium. .
My large was 12.4 with a steel spring dhx on a digi scale...complete will be about 40.75 for next year.

Its too bad that giant discontinued them, I really like mine. But from giants perspective, the bike didnt really make sense in their line up with the glory available. Theyve now got the glory 8, which is seemingly a "freeride bike" also known as a downhill bike with bad geometry. Also they have the ~7'' travel reign x bike which seems much more reasonable then the glory 8. Great geometry, much lighter and just as capable.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
My large was 12.4 with a steel spring dhx on a digi scale...complete will be about 40.75 for next year.

Its too bad that giant discontinued them, I really like mine. But from giants perspective, the bike didnt really make sense in their line up with the glory available. Theyve now got the glory 8, which is seemingly a "freeride bike" also known as a downhill bike with bad geometry. Also they have the ~7'' travel reign x bike which seems much more reasonable then the glory 8. Great geometry, much lighter and just as capable.
So it's lighter than I posted, which is even better. The weight isn't a big deal, it's centered well and the bike rides great. The faith makes much more sense than the glory. The faith should have been the DH bike and the reign x should have been the FR bike. The glory's have some stupid geometry and are just plain heavy.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
What's wrong with the Glory's geometry bballe? Give us some figures.

I reckon they canned the Faith simply because it's ugly, no other reason.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
I think Giant is on to something there! Wouldn`t being ugly make a great theft deterrent? :lighten:

Has anyone ever rode both IH Sunday and a Faith 1 and can give us a ride report ?

Isn`t 40 kg a little heavy for a free ride bike?

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
dcamp29 said:
mine got stolen
Damn that must have sucked. What model and what year? Faiths are easy to spot so I hope you find the guy who took it.

I also heard that the rear hub on Faiths are cheapo Formula hubs. Check every bike shop for some one replacing theirs!

:busted:

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
big difference. i thought i did it wrong and that it had no effect. then i got on the bike for a ride, and wow, lower, slacker, its nice

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
What's wrong with the Glory's geometry bballe? Give us some figures.

The glory has a 65.5 degree HA with a 14.75 inch BB height and a WB of 44.6 inches on the small.

My small faith with flipped links has a 65 degree HA, a 13.4 inch BB height, and a 46.1 inch WB.

My bike has far more "race like" numbers than the glory. And considering it was one of giant's best selling gravity bikes ever I doubt that they canned it because of looks.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
The Faith and the Glory ride very differently so it is not as simple as comparing the geometry. Assuming both are ridden with similarly tuned DHX's, the Glory will ride deeper into its travel, and the Faith will ride higher. The Glory (stock) is lower, has better seatpost adjustment and is stiffer. The Glory has some small detail improvements over the Faith as well. The axle system is similar, but easier to use and stiffer. And, yes, the Faith was ugly.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The Faith and the Glory ride very differently so it is not as simple as comparing the geometry. Assuming both are ridden with similarly tuned DHX's, the Glory will ride deeper into its travel, and the Faith will ride higher. The Glory (stock) is lower, has better seatpost adjustment and is stiffer. The Glory has some small detail improvements over the Faith as well. The axle system is similar, but easier to use and stiffer. And, yes, the Faith was ugly.
The stock BB on a faith is still a half inch lower than on the glory. The faith rides optimally with 3-3.5 inches of sag. The glory rides optimally with 4-4.5. It rides an inch deeper into the travel but also has that extra inch. Plain and simple the faith is lower, slacker, lighter, and cheaper. And that's what racers want.

And the bikes don't ride that differently. They use the same suspension platform with similar axle paths and the same leverage ratios. The only way they would ride differently is the geometry.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston

Right. Seeing how the faith and the glory use an identical rear triangle, I cant really see how it is "easier to use and stiffer". Ive ridden both, they ride pretty different, except for the suspension.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
often times i have the same opinion, but stop making such broad generalizations. people think differently than you.
I really can't say I know any racers that want a steeper, heavier, higher bike that costs more than their other option. The vast majority of racers would rather have a lower, lighter, slacker, cheaper bike. Maybe I should have have said majority and not all. But I really can't think of anyone who is trying to make their bike steeper or taller.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
But I really can't think of anyone who is trying to make their bike steeper or taller.
You must realize that the basis for your argument is flawed. If you have a .5 degree difference in static HA, then account for the difference in travel between the 2 bikes, the Glory is obviously going to be slacker at 30% sag. The BB may still be a bit higher on the Glory, but well within an acceptable range. The fact is that the Faith was designed by Giant to be a FR bike and the fact that you can flip the links is like exploiting a bug in a piece of software - it was not intended by the designers. I hardly think it was Giant's best selling gravity bike as it was only around a couple of years and I've certainly seen more DH Teams around.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
wait so why would that be bad exploit the fact that you can turn into a bike with dh geometry? so what if they intended to be for FR and have differrent geomtry.