Quantcast

giant dont make the faith any more?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
well if you read half the things mentioned in this thread you would go with the faith, freeridable, but with the links flipped, a race machine. it's lighter than the glory also, always a plus:thumb:

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
I have done both FR and DH on my faith. It is a very versitile bike. However, I haven`t flipped the links on mine yet. I heard that Giant doesn`t reccomend it because the suspension wasn`t designed to handle it set up that way.

Anyone know if this is true or not? And what kind of damage can occur if the links are flipped?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Well, if the bike is more slack, I guess that could put extra stress on the head tube? The faith is a pretty beefy frame, and if it's supposed to be built for free riders, it be able to handle lots of huck-tastic stress on the head tube.

Otherwise flipping the links just moves the rear shock back a couple of mm, so I don't really see any other problems you could run into doing it.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
yea, stress on the headtube would be the only thing i see that would be their concern, and it does void the waruntee. does is change the rear travel when you flip the links?

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
So is this a load of cobblers then? dales cycles has the faith weighing just over 40lb....
That is total BS. The stock faith 2 with a coil boxxer is something like 45-46 lbs. The frame is around 12 and a half pounds, there is NO way you are going to get a near 40lb bike without really light stuff.

To put this into perspective, my faith has a 06 air boxxer, LG1, tubeless 2.3/2.2 tires, holzfeller cranks, thompson post and a ti rail road saddle, other then those huge differences, almost every other part is lighter. My bike comes in at around at 40.6. (lighter when I rebuild my wheels)

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
weighed my stock faith 2 when I first got it, I'm not a big weight weenie or anything like that, just curious. It came in at just over 43 lbs. Maybe the scale was off or something? Anyways, now that I've had my hands on it for a year, it's closer to 46 lbs.

roastbeefer

Chimp
Aug 30, 2006
they also list it as the 2007 model. sounds like they dont know what they are talking about. Anyway, I just wanted to check.

roastbeefer

Chimp
Aug 30, 2006
I'm off to go look at a 2nd hand 06 Faith 1 tommorow (the grey/brown colour?) as i think it will be a good bike to start with and i can have a FR/DH bike with the link flippage.

Are there any problems i should be aware of when looking at a 2nd hand bike. Other than the usual cracks / scratches on stanchions etc...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
yea, stress on the headtube would be the only thing i see that would be their concern, and it does void the waruntee. does is change the rear travel when you flip the links?
It doesn't void the warranty. Giant wouldn't know you had the links flipped if you sent it in for warranty with the links in the stock position. The rear travel may decrease by a fraction of an inch, but not enough to notice.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The giant USA site has geo for the new glory's and the giant international site has the geo for the faiths.

Sponger805

Chimp
Jan 31, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
dang im so stoked, I bought a 05 Faith 3 Frameset and I cant wait to get it built and hit the trails with it now!! I also didnt know a thing about flipping the links? anyone know the rear shock size like 8.5 with a 3iti? message me if you do..thanks

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
The rear shock size is 8.75"x2.75".

If you do a search on Ridemonkey for 'flippin links' you will come up with the thread about how to do it (with pictures).

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
well after reading this entire thread, i am going to add my two cents.

i have owned way too many bike over the last few years, and i have to say the faith is one of the pedaling bikes i have had. yes the bike is heavy, but pedals quick. i have not tried the swap of the link yet, but haven't felt the need. i am actually in search of a 170mm to 180mm travel single crown fork. so i want to keep it as steep as posible. maybe when i put the travis back on for mammoth trips this summer i'll slack it out.

i have a question for monkeys that own faiths. what is a good rear shock. mine has the metel r. not a bad shock, hasn't given me any issues or problems other than being a little soft. was thinking of a fox dhx5.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^^ I run a DHX with a ti spring and it works quite well. In the next few months I will be running a Cane Creek Double Barrel. Can't wait.

retrofred

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
canyon country, Ca.
cool i will check them for bushings. the shock is very low wear. it came off 7point5 that was upgraded. i think it is the four way not the 5 way. which is totally cool with me. going to be a step up from the manitou metel r thats on it now.