Quantcast

giant dont make the faith any more?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
wait so why would that be bad exploit the fact that you can turn into a bike with dh geometry? so what if they intended to be for FR and have differrent geomtry.
Did I say it was bad? Nope. I just said it wasn't intended - otherwise it would have been published as having adjustable geometry. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the Faith (even though it is pretty ugly). My issue is with the validity of bballe's argument.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
You must realize that the basis for your argument is flawed. If you have a .5 degree difference in static HA, then account for the difference in travel between the 2 bikes, the Glory is obviously going to be slacker at 30% sag. The BB may still be a bit higher on the Glory, but well within an acceptable range. The fact is that the Faith was designed by Giant to be a FR bike and the fact that you can flip the links is like exploiting a bug in a piece of software - it was not intended by the designers. I hardly think it was Giant's best selling gravity bike as it was only around a couple of years and I've certainly seen more DH Teams around.
At full sag the glory is going to have about the same HA as the faith. Maybe a 1/4 of a degree slacker. The BB will still be over an inch higher. And the wheelbase will still be 1.5 inches shorter. The glory is too high and too short to be marketed as a race bike when giant makes a bike that is more suitable. Flipping the links may be a bug but Team Giant mechanics seem to find it perfectly acceptable (aka: Amiel Cavalier winning jr. worlds on a flipped link faith). Also when I go out to the mountains I see lots of faiths. I've seen plenty of people with them this past season and not a single person on a dh team/comp.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Right. Seeing how the faith and the glory use an identical rear triangle, I cant really see how it is "easier to use and stiffer". Ive ridden both, they ride pretty different, except for the suspension.
I'm pretty sure the rear triangles aren't identical. The Glory's axle slots through a hole in the dropout plate, where as the Faith's I've worked have had vertical channels like QR bikes, if I remember correctly.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I'm pretty sure the rear triangles aren't identical. The Glory's axle slots through a hole in the dropout plate, where as the Faith's I've worked have had vertical channels like QR bikes, if I remember correctly.
The only difference between the rear triangles is the axle system. The faith rear end is plenty stiff and I see no reason for the change in the axle setup.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
At full sag the glory is going to have about the same HA as the faith. Maybe a 1/4 of a degree slacker. The BB will still be over an inch higher. And the wheelbase will still be 1.5 inches shorter. The glory is too high and too short to be marketed as a race bike when giant makes a bike that is more suitable. Flipping the links may be a bug but Team Giant mechanics seem to find it perfectly acceptable (aka: Amiel Cavalier winning jr. worlds on a flipped link faith). Also when I go out to the mountains I see lots of faiths. I've seen plenty of people with them this past season and not a single person on a dh team/comp.
So, now the Glory is slacker - by more than 1/4 degree actually. It is still taller, but like I said, perfectly acceptable for a bike with almost 9" of travel. As far as the wheelbase goes, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the only explanation would be shorter chainstays on the Glory or a shorter front-center - because .5 degree of HA difference sure isn't going to change the wheelbase by 1.5".

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The only difference between the rear triangles is the axle system. The faith rear end is plenty stiff and I see no reason for the change in the axle setup.
Jeez man, you never give up. Are you going to be as defensive about the next bike you own? Or is the Faith so incredibly awesome that you are going to ride it forever?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Jeez man, you never give up. Are you going to be as defensive about the next bike you own? Or is the Faith so incredibly awesome that you are going to ride it forever?
I actually will be on a different bike next season. And that's only because it's the only bike I've ridden that is in my mind a better bike than the faith. It's not that I think the faith is the greatest bike for everyone. But considering it has all the good characteristics that the glory is lacking and it costed a whole hell of a lot less I don't see why giant made the glory.

I know everyone with a glory probably hates me right about now, that's fine though. I still think the glory's are kind of silly. That's really all I have to say.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I have ridden both the Faith and Glory extensively. BBalle makes a good case for the Faith, and if we take the geo. stats he gives, it sounds like the Faith is a killer race bike. Sometimes, though, you can't the whole answer from numbers. For anyone who remembers it, the KHS Dominatrix was, on paper, a great bike. For its time it had respectable geometry, a good parts spec and an innovative suspension design. It sucked.

The Faith certainly doesn't suck, and I think its image has been tarnished somewhat by the fact that many Faiths were spec'd as budget bikes so not too many riders got to see what the frame could do with decent components. That said, I don't see how the Faith is a better bike than the Glory.

I also have a hard time believing that the Faith is longer than the Glory. I've never measured wheelbase on both side-to-side, but the Faith certainly has a very short cockpit for a given frame size. Even larges are pretty tight.

I think the Glory is the next step of the Faith. Giant was successful with bringing the Maestro technology suspension to market, and it was well received. The Glory is more appealing in several ways. It has small detail improvements over the Faith (cable routing, head-tube, rear axle to name a few). Its suspension action is IMO favorable to the Faith's for DH riding. It also benefits from arguably stouter construction and more curb appeal. The earth-tone color schemes Giant used on the Faiths looked dated as soon it was unveiled. Edgy, trendy paint schemes are riskier. I'm actually pretty interested in what BBalle has to say, because I made the choice to go with the Glory over the Faith and am curious as to why he wouldn't have done the same.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I'm actually pretty interested in what BBalle has to say, because I made the choice to go with the Glory over the Faith and am curious as to why he wouldn't have done the same.
I initially bought the faith before the glory was in production. But considering I paid less for my complete faith than I would have paid for a glory frameset I think I got a killer deal. And if I had the option between a faith and glory I still would have bought the faith. The faith has a very maneuverable feel while being long and stable, this is particularly appealing to me because I'm short (5'9"). The glory has a very short wheelbase and a longer cockpit than the faith. The faith is also considerably shorter than the glory and considerably lower to the ground. I ride very low on the bike and wouldn't be comfortable doing this on a bike that is as tall as the glory. The faith's lower BB also helps seals the deal for me. I can slam my pedals into the ground in the parking lot and wouldn't want it any other way, on full bottom out my 32t bashring is within an inch of the ground. For me the faith is smaller yet more stable than a glory.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I initially bought the faith before the glory was in production. But considering I paid less for my complete faith than I would have paid for a glory frameset I think I got a killer deal. And if I had the option between a faith and glory I still would have bought the faith. The faith has a very maneuverable feel while being long and stable, this is particularly appealing to me because I'm short (5'9"). The glory has a very short wheelbase and a longer cockpit than the faith. The faith is also considerably shorter than the glory and considerably lower to the ground. I ride very low on the bike and wouldn't be comfortable doing this on a bike that is as tall as the glory. The faith's lower BB also helps seals the deal for me. I can slam my pedals into the ground in the parking lot and wouldn't want it any other way, on full bottom out my 32t bashring is within an inch of the ground. For me the faith is smaller yet more stable than a glory.

BBalle,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Which size Glory have you been comparing your Faith with? The 16 and 17" Glory's are super low. The top tube and seat tube lengths are super short as well, even if the effective top tube is longer.

I will measure the wheelbase on my Glory this weekend, but I have a feeling it's not super short.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
BBalle,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Which size Glory have you been comparing your Faith with? The 16 and 17" Glory's are super low. The top tube and seat tube lengths are super short as well, even if the effective top tube is longer.

I will measure the wheelbase on my Glory this weekend, but I have a feeling it's not super short.
I am comparing the small faith and medium glory (17"). The glory wheelbase is shorter than mine for a larger size. And it may be low but still taller than the faith I ride.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I have a custom faith. I had ridden the faith and the glory both, and like the way the faith felt over the glory. All my friends gave me a ton of shi#! Anyways, now a couple of them have now said it is one of the best bikes they have seen. I love the way it feels, and performs. Best of all, brand new, I paid $1250 for my faith 2 :banana: (thats about 250 under cost, and I bought mine from a shop, and I'm not an empoyee or anything).

Spec (only after market parts):
2005 shiver (W/ direct mount stem)
elcaminoes (although changing to juicy 7s or formula brakes)
odi lock on grips
double tracks
swinger 6way (ti coil on the way)
gold tooth 38t bash guard
stinger guide
single ring up front (36t sprockent on the way)
sette race saddle (only 198g)
x9 shifter/derailer on the way
protaper bars
pc990 cassette on the way
hozefeller cranks

I think it is a very formidable race bike, (I havent fliped the links though, because I do freeride on it and I am perfectly happy w/ the way it feels)

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Thanks, its pretty much my dream bike.

I love the feel of an inverted shock. Doradoes aren't reliable. White (and any other real inverted forks) brothers are exspensive and you can't get parts for them. Also, I wanted something that was super strong, becaus eI also freeride (often in an urban envirment, so there are many 6ft to flat etc..). Lastly it was only 400, and I got 250 for my jr.t (so only 150)

The only problem is that they are like 9lbs. Once I get more money, I'm getting a 888 (world cup hopefully :banana: )

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
noah, that's my dream bike also, with those double tracks, and the shiver, that thang must be custom as ****! what's the weight on that sexy red on mocha turd?

ps: dont forget the paint on the rotors!:banghead: :clapping:

Mar 7, 2005
Noah i love your bike also... all of those red parts on it not to mention the **2004** shiver that you have on it that is painted BLACK!!!:banghead: How about you stop buying parts for your cool looking faith:brow: and actually start to ride!!!!:busted:

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Wow, thanks guys. First, you know that the add said 2005 shiver and showed pics. I didn't pain it, infact, I'm stripping it. On the wieght, its 46lbs now, and it will be 44.5 when the stuff in the mail comes, 43.5 w/ the ti coil. Thats lighter than anyones but sams (who has a different style bike). Also, I didn't see you guys go ridding last weekend? Just cuz I do sports and can't go up every day doesn't mean shi@. Also, whats wrong w/ having a bike that matches (i.e. all the red parts)? Hey, I know the rotors are "gay", but ellis and bear liked it, and its cheaper than dropping 140 of hope rotors (I did use real metal paint). I guess i'm just a fashion whore.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
heh, yeah, but now I really want to see pics.

what about the crappy (as in quality, not color) paint on the faith?

I've got a turd brown faith 2 that looses more and more every shuttle run and I'm careful not to scratch it.

I will also second the warning on the formula hubs that come with it. Mine blew out at the top of Noble Canyon in San Diego, had to coast down the entire way.

Components that I've found un-acceptable and had the $ to replace are:

Rear wheel swapped to tioga rim laced to hadley hub
Pedals swapped from the scary slippery truvativs to Primo(pink bike alert!)
jr. t swapped for 888, soon to be White Bros. Groove Race
Swinger 4 way for Swinger 6 Way (Thank you Santa Cruz!)
Cheesy grips had to go for some ODI lock ons

Next on my list are the sram x7 shifters and der for x9, the Hayes nine brakes for something that don't overheat as much and an e.thirteen DRS plus getting rid of the 32t for a 36t chainring.

I don't really mind having to swap all this stuff though, since I got the bike so darn cheap (1499 out the door) last year and it was ride-able with the parts spec that it came with (other than that stupid hub, swap that out asap!)

Fun bike and I'd probably take it over the glory just because I can have a front der and sometimes I have to climb around here to go down.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Bought from someone on the classifieds here. When got it I didn't really know anything about it other than it was laced to a 12mmx150 spaced hadley and that's what I needed.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Crap, i want a pair of those rims bad. :)
Yep, been trying to find a matching front ever since :twitch:

stgil- I've pretty much just given up trying to keep it pretty. I've decided I'll just ride it 'til I can't stand it anymore and then repaint it.

The sad part is, if I did, I might even paint it brown again. It's starting to grow on me.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
True. For some reason the paint on the Faiths seems to be less durable than the finishes on Giant's other frames.
I've been riding the faith for almost 2 seasons now. And new england weather is hardly easy on paint (bike in general for that matter). I have yet to chip any paint off the frame. I have an 06 faith if that makes any difference.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
Yep, been trying to find a matching front ever since :twitch:

stgil- I've pretty much just given up trying to keep it pretty. I've decided I'll just ride it 'til I can't stand it anymore and then repaint it.

The sad part is, if I did, I might even paint it brown again. It's starting to grow on me.

Yeah, Ilike the color too. It is the easiest scratching frame I've ever seen though. Just looking at it will scratch it.:rant:

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
^^^word.

nmn25, u should get some ti bolts for ur brake rotors to compensate for the red paint.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
way to thread jack guys. I don't want ti bolts. They are too exspensive, and don't yield much wieght savings. Also, they are are more brittle, and would crack easier (also by just tightening). Even on high end cars/motorcycles, bolts are hardended steal because of their strength. Lastly, I think you can stop rippin on the paint (its not like I painted it, frame anyways). :disgust:

roastbeefer

Chimp
Aug 30, 2006
I've got the oppurtunity to get a Giant Faith 1 or a Giant Glory 0. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the weight of these bikes / pro's and con's?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I've got the oppurtunity to get a Giant Faith 1 or a Giant Glory 0. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the weight of these bikes / pro's and con's?
Are you a racer or Freerider?

Racer: Glory all the way.

Freerider: Faith

Some here may disagree. I am looking at it from a racer stand point of veiw. Try to ride them both to see what one you like best.