Quantcast

Giant Glory or Specialized Demo?

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
are you seriously going to hyjack someones thread to make a point that you feel like being "that guy" who carries stuff on.
but anyway, sorry about that double post.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Nah, I just had nothing better to do tonite than to pick on the feeble.

-ska todd

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Glory is a great bike, but the Demo is lower, lighter, slacker and longer yet just as strong and reliable. Great bike.....period.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Haha I love how just one year ago Demo's were constantly bashed for this that and the other thing that was wrong with them.

Now that SOMEBODY is riding one, they have mysteriously transformed into the unanimous favorite. haha

Oh and my vote is demo too. But that's cause I've had mine for almost 3 years and love it. I know some of you other dudes have had them for a while too, but its funny.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've never seen so much pro-demo sentiment. Did they dump the so-many-extra-tube design of the last 5 years and I somehow missed it? Tell me they switched over to DW link. :D

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
With almost no changes on the design the demo came from a "****y freeride bike" to a "full on race bike from God", hahahahaha

The only thing that changed is Sam Hill riding it:>

News Flash: It was slack and long since the beginning.

Where are all the Sunday lovers....oh yeah...riding Demos:>

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Haha I love how just one year ago Demo's were constantly bashed for this that and the other thing that was wrong with them.

Now that SOMEBODY is riding one, they have mysteriously transformed into the unanimous favorite. haha

Oh and my vote is demo too. But that's cause I've had mine for almost 3 years and love it. I know some of you other dudes have had them for a while too, but its funny.
Im glad other people have realized this too. I have owned (and promoted) the Demo for several years now and heard nothing except "its heavy" and "its a huck bike" until this year. But this doesnt change the fact that the demo is indeed a sick race bike.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've never seen so much pro-demo sentiment. Did they dump the so-many-extra-tube design of the last 5 years and I somehow missed it? Tell me they switched over to DW link. :D
The demo of old was not quite up to par as a DH race rig. But over the last few years Big S made some tweaks (and dropped the weight) that transformed it into a fast sled. The only problem was no one in the e-world really gave it a chance until Sammy Eyebrows sat on one.

The demo has been getting great reviews from the people who actually rode it ever since the latest iteration appeared.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Ferrari or Lambo? Both are fast and both are great. Really kind of splitting hairs on this one IMO. If I had to decide, a huge factor for me would be which one can I get a better deal on. I know I would enjoy either one of them and at the level most of us are riding at I don't think either bike is going to be the weak link.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I just wonder how many of You had opportunity to compare Glory 2010 to Demo 2010??

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
I think that I am going to buy the bike that has the most advertising dollars thrown at it....so this year the best bike ever is going to be the demo...But I don't know I might change my mind and buy a Trek. The have alot of ads too...so they must be good. I don't know...I just can't quite decide...

On a serious note...I hope all of you can put the marketing hype aside and make a decision for yourselves...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think that I am going to buy the bike that has the most advertising dollars thrown at it....so this year the best bike ever is going to be the demo...But I don't know I might change my mind and buy a Trek. The have alot of ads too...so they must be good. I don't know...I just can't quite decide...

On a serious note...I hope all of you can put the marketing hype aside and make a decision for yourselves...
Like giant doesn't advertise ;) Though I'd be a hard decision for me between the demo and giant. Booth nice price and have features that speak to me though booth are different so the choice should be either light weight or low and slack but heavier. All personal taste.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Not everyone loves it - I hear the suspension slows down hugely on square edged hits.
IMO the Demo absolutely slays square edges. It's hardly super heavy these days either. Isn't the team bike 38lb plus pedals out of the box ?

Anyway a degree and a half off the head angle and 1/2"+ off the BB makes it a no brainer.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
IMO the Demo absolutely slays square edges. It's hardly super heavy these days either. Isn't the team bike 38lb plus pedals out of the box ?

Anyway a degree and a half off the head angle and 1/2"+ off the BB makes it a no brainer.
The original post is comparing the 09 bikes......not the 2010's. I'd prefer the geo of the 09 over the 2010. 64 degrees and 14.5 BB is ideal numbers. 62.5 and 13.75 is just too slack and low. Although I haven't been on the 2010 demo, I love my 2008 which is identical to the 2009.
I do like the lower stack height of the 1.5 integrated headset, and the "no shock shuttle", but the changes in geo are gonna make it ****ty for courses where you have to pedal the bike.IMO

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Specialized-Bikes-2010-Long-Travel-Launch.html

In this article it doesn't mention a change in head angle.

they (Sam and Brendan) run the same 64 deg head tube and short 16.5 chain stays that we've been running for years. The bottom bracket height was the only major revision we did for them. Some minor changes were to the top tube length which we increased by 5 mm on the Medium (Sam) and Large (Brendan), the seat tube angle and position was tweaked so that you can run a non-offset seat post for strength and keep the optimal saddle position at ride height. And the head tube changed to 1.5, as mentioned prior

You run the Monster Team geometry and that's it. Pure, dedicated, fast, race only design.

Or am I missing something that you guys seem to know? In fact with the travel reduction to 8 inches it will be very slightly steeper when sitting in the same sag. It seems the only thing that the Team have which is different is a 150mm back end.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
If youw ant couldn't you buy reducer cups for the frame? Or does that only work with sundays.

Oh by the way. Haven't riddent the giant glory's, but I am not a big fan of the new demo's. I would say we have some Sam Hill bias around here...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What about waiting until the 10 glory? mucho revisions and much cheaper. Just a thought, if you're patient.

Otherwise I think I'd pick the glory. They seem to have much success in the amateur racing world...not that the demo has had none, but I feel as though I see more glories.

Why not pick the one that has better geometry for you?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I got to demo one of the new glorys. There aren't a whole lot of bikes I've ridden where the head angle of the thing stood out completely on it's own, independent of other geo numbers. The glory did though. Crazy light bike that rides plush but still pops and pumps well.......but for some unholy reason has something like a 66 degree head angle. I have no idea what they were thinking in light of their competition but 'dh race bike' is definitely not descriptive of the feeling I got riding it. It really is too steep in my opinion.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
I got to demo one of the new glorys. There aren't a whole lot of bikes I've ridden where the head angle of the thing stood out completely on it's own, independent of other geo numbers. The glory did though. Crazy light bike that rides plush but still pops and pumps well.......but for some unholy reason has something like a 66 degree head angle. I have no idea what they were thinking in light of their competition but 'dh race bike' is definitely not descriptive of the feeling I got riding it. It really is too steep in my opinion.
coming from a guy who typically likes steepish head angles.

there you have it kids..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
coming from a guy who typically likes steepish head angles.
Not really....depends on the bike. Head angles go hand in hand with some other measurements.....mostly top tube/front center measurements. If you're talking about me lowering my fork to 7" on my demo 8, that's because the bike was a little too long in the front end for me and it helped me get over the front tire easier. It still measured out to 64.5-65 degrees.....not exactly steep. When I asked the giant guys doing the demos what the catalog stated the glory HA to be, I think I remember them saying 66.5. That's just not a dh bike these days. Especially since the frames aren't particularly long for a given size.

I rode one of the dw turner dhrs not too long ago with a 63 degree head angle and loved it. Mostly because the front end was shorter than my bike. I don't 'like steepish head angles' as much as I know when a bike feels balanced to me. Just pedaling around on a medium sunday with slacker reducer cups, I felt like I would have liked it even slacker than it was. The medium glory I rode fit me pretty well. The bar/BB layout I really liked. It just really would benefit from raking the front end a bit and maybe adding a little to the wheelbase to do this.

And that's why I said in my first post that I've never really had a bike stand out where the head angle alone stood out in reference to other measurements of a bike. There are very few measurements that don't go hand in hand with others.

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Careful. When I said the same thing after testing it the RM massive got pretty upset.