Quantcast

~~ Gotta get down GMT ~~

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
:confused:
Isn't 50-ish hours/week pretty much the norm in the corporate world? Make it 60+ for startups...
What do you get in return for the extra 10 to 20 hours per week? Just because some people see / accept it as the “norm,” doesn’t make it right. It sure doesn’t make those of us who view it as bs wrong either.

To be clear, fuck everything that modern <strikethrough>american </strikethrough> corporate culture now stands for.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:confused:
Isn't 50-ish hours/week pretty much the norm in the corporate world? Make it 60+ for startups...
One of the things that makes it so hard to leave my current position is that there is rarely any expectation to work anything more than a 40 hour week. As we get paid OT often it requires special permission from an executive, and when you do, well you get paid more. Considering my base salary is more than competitive when I get a job offer and I am told they know it is less than I currently make but overtime and travel bonuses will make up for it, my answer is always NFW.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What do you get in return for the extra 10 to 20 hours per week? Just because some people see / accept it as the “norm,” doesn’t make it right. It sure doesn’t make those of us who view it as bs wrong either.

To be clear, fuck everything that modern <strikethrough>american </strikethrough> corporate culture now stands for.
One of the things that makes it so hard to leave my current position is that there is rarely any expectation to work anything more than a 40 hour week. As we get paid OT often it requires special permission from an executive, and when you do, well you get paid more. Considering my base salary is more than competitive when I get a job offer and I am told they know it is less than I currently make but overtime and travel bonuses will make up for it, my answer is always NFW.
There are no laws in MA limiting the work week to 40 hours for exempt salaried employees. If you refuse to work overtime or weekends / night shifts (all without overtime/extra pay), you can get fired for cause, i.e. no unemployment benefits. I am not saying it is right, but it is reality here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are no laws in MA limiting the work week to 40 hours for exempt salaried employees. If you refuse to work overtime or weekends / night shifts (all without overtime/extra pay), you can get fired for cause, i.e. no unemployment benefits. I am not saying it is right, but it is reality here.
In my case it is not law that drives this but an actual professional union.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
So, the harder / more you work, the less valuable your time is? Got it. Makes perfect sense. See my comment above about modern corporate culture.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
So, the harder / more you work, the less valuable your time is? Got it. Makes perfect sense. See my comment above about modern corporate culture.
All about butts in seats. Doesn't matter what you do or know, but if you're the first one there and the last to leave, you're 80% of the way there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
fuckin exhausted. Entire living space of the house is free of ice dams and a 4ft edge of the 5-7ft of snow previously upon. (suck it cold garage).

Ordered another pizza because I truly do need to live more like jdcamb

I should put this much effort into dismantling the corporate structure. You people need liberation.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
All about butts in seats. Doesn't matter what you do or know, but if you're the first one there and the last to leave, you're 80% of the way there.
Yeah, fuck that.

I am the last to arrive, the first to go home and the loudest critic. However, when something needs to be done, should be done, etc., I “lean into it” hard…to the point of being a dick about it to those who don’t make any actual effort.

Will it probably get me fired? Yeah, but FTBS.

The craziest part is that I actually like my job…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I work about 32 hours per week these days. I'm supposed to be writing papers on that fifth workday but have been slacking since about 2020. :D but am still skating by just fine apparently.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Currently staying at Senior @Toshi's manor in the mountains. It's very nice. About AZ summer outside hot upstairs, but downstairs where we are is bueno. Haley has already challenged me to a game of foosball in the am.

20min from Winter Park, which means no 4:45am start tomorrow. Which will likely be worse had we stayed at home, because it's currently snowing.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
fck weather forecast went to shit. originally it was supposed to be light showers and winds under 10mph tomorrow. ok for fishing. now its heavy rain and winds up to 30 mph , screw going fly fishing in that shit. oh and rain everyday through next weekend. Kidwoo ain't gonna be able to find his house under all the white shit that's going to fall on it

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Currently staying at Senior @Toshi's manor in the mountains. It's very nice. About AZ summer outside hot upstairs, but downstairs where we are is bueno. Haley has already challenged me to a game of foosball in the am.

20min from Winter Park, which means no 4:45am start tomorrow. Which will likely be worse had we stayed at home, because it's currently snowing.
You get infested by any swallow bugs yet? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You get infested by any swallow bugs yet? :D
They’re only in one upstairs bathroom afaik (probably via attic—don’t go up there!). And the house was super hot because I had it heat treated again. 130 Freedoms+ throughout the main floor and second floor.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I work about 32 hours per week these days. I'm supposed to be writing papers on that fifth workday but have been slacking since about 2020. :D but am still skating by just fine apparently.
Same girl, same. I have somehow managed to adjust my schedule that if I fuck off at lunch a little more than I should, I can be in that 32-35hr work week.
Although that’s just the day job:s