Quantcast

Gran Turismo 4 road challenge...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Oh god, just saw the 350hp max...I was about to buy the Chaparral race car (the one with what looks like turbofan jet engines coming out the back) and blow everyone apart :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1'14.876 on a pretty decent lap, booyah

T1 0'23.918
T2 0'50.978

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I nutted up an bought a PS2/GT4 today.

...the licenses are far easier than the last incarnation of GT I played (1).
replying to an ancient post on the first page: try getting all golds in the licenses and then tell me they aren't hard.

:busted:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1:16.952 in a car 100hp under the limit...

My original auto selection (Renault Maxi Rally Car) proved to be ill advised.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
well, let's see those extra 100 hp (and how many lbs?) net you another 2.1 seconds, bucko. :D

i thought about that rally car as well, but i remembered that the rally cars, as originally set up, are oversteering monsters on pavement. no thanks.

(my car had exactly 350 hp when set up, but only 320 and change in the replay. go figure.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Same...

Torque might be key...
torque's not so key if you maintain your speed in the corners, heh.

i thought the car choice was pretty straightforward for this one, as the power maxed out just right, the weight was good, and the downforce better yet. setup actually helped, too: usually i set it up with a bit of steady state understeer but hong kong seemed to favor a tail happy balance...

of course, one of you with a different car (or with mine) might come up with a time 2 sec faster than mine yet and i'll have to rethink...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Most of the cars on my list are British...

:D

The Miata may need to be considered, however. It is a relative piglet...

same here...although I did give the Suzuki another shot but it runs better NA than it does with boost...unfortunately with NA it's just underpowered. Looks like I've narrowed it down the the Motor sport Elise or the Tommy K...D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
same here...although I did give the Suzuki another shot but it runs better NA than it does with boost...unfortunately with NA it's just underpowered. Looks like I've narrowed it down the the Motor sport Elise or the Tommy K...D
I was getting consistently better times with the Suzuki on boost than NA, but you're right, it just needs a bit more oomph. Oomph meaning nitrous. :D That car drives so well thanks to its wide stance and ridiculous weight...it just needs a biiiig turbo to make it totally kickass.

Have you considered the TVR? It's heavy, but what it lacks in lightness it makes up for in torque...I put down a 1:16.925 (again) with it, but I don't know if I could squeeze it for more. A better driver probably could. I'm not doing well in the Elise Motorsport...it just seems to slip and slide all over the place. I can't get quicker than a 1:17.5 in it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I was getting consistently better times with the Suzuki on boost than NA, but you're right, it just needs a bit more oomph. Oomph meaning nitrous. :D That car drives so well thanks to its wide stance and ridiculous weight...it just needs a biiiig turbo to make it totally kickass.

Have you considered the TVR? It's heavy, but what it lacks in lightness it makes up for in torque...I put down a 1:16.925 (again) with it, but I don't know if I could squeeze it for more. A better driver probably could. I'm not doing well in the Elise Motorsport...it just seems to slip and slide all over the place. I can't get quicker than a 1:17.5 in it.
down a half a second from my last time with the Tommy...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i used the motor sports elise, for the record. done better than 1'15.2 yet, D?

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
What do you all set your brake controllers at? I usually only go up to about 5 or 6, swapping bias depending on the course. Do any of you go higher? Just wondering.

I'm at 1:14.322 in the Elise BTW

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's because you have that extra t=whatever stuff at the end

matchew's time:

i'm going to concede on this one, too, as long as i maintain 2nd place. i actually haven't messed around with brake controllers on cars that don't come stock with them at all. i still haven't figured out what 5 vs. 30 means on them, and it seems a lot easier to screw up the car's braking than to improve on it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
What do you all set your brake controllers at? I usually only go up to about 5 or 6, swapping bias depending on the course. Do any of you go higher? Just wondering.

I'm at 1:14.322 in the Elise BTW
i set my brake controllers up depending on the car....i prett much keep them below 12 with the front a little stronger than the rear...unless it's a FF car then the front is weaker. If it's a 4WD car I keep them even....D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1:13.706 in the Elise...

The Suzuki is awesome simply because you brake so late for corners. I found myself trying to drive the Elise like the Suzuki and I was slamming into **** left and right.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
1:13.706 in the Elise...

The Suzuki is awesome simply because you brake so late for corners. I found myself trying to drive the Elise like the Suzuki and I was slamming into **** left and right.
I'm doing the opposite and braking early...since I have been doing this my exit speed out of the corners is awesome...D

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
1:11.988 NOT in the Elise unfortunately. There is still room for improvement, that was not a perfect lap.

If anyone can brake 1:11.500 ---> mad props