Quantcast

Gran Turismo 4 road challenge...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
1:19.128 In a Buick special. That is it, I am done for now. I have a screenshot for proof if you want.
Yeah the Special is what we're all using I'm sure. That's a great time though, you really nailed it.

I'm still playing with the settings but this car just loves to slide with the momentum going around corners.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Yeah the Special is what we're all using I'm sure. That's a great time though, you really nailed it.

I'm still playing with the settings but this car just loves to slide with the momentum going around corners.
1st 1/3 before the long back straight is where all the time is made up. I got lucky and pinned the whole thing, If had more time i bet i could break 1:19.000.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Jacking up the spring rate works wonders if you haven't already.
The sweet spot on the ride height seems to be 15-20mm above min...otherwise when you go over curbing it bounces all over the place.

I made the mistake of getting a cage and now I can't get rid of it. My handling is ass. :(

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
The sweet spot on the ride height seems to be 15-20mm above min...otherwise when you go over curbing it bounces all over the place.

I made the mistake of getting a cage and now I can't get rid of it. My handling is ass. :(
I just slammed the ride height and learned which curbs not to bounce off of. The car will whip around turns if you time your breaking and turning correctly so that you just barely nick the curbs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what kind of warranty work? anything serious?...D
no, nothing serious. it could have had its engine replaced with one of the recalls for emissions, as some RX-8s that weren't revved to redline at least occasionally built up deposits in the combustion chamber, which in turn caused them to eat their seals. the difference between the RX-8 and the RX-7 is that the 7 would eat its seals no matter what you did. ;)

the other stuff has just been stupid little things: broken sun visor, squeak in the brakes (got rotors resurfaced for free), and now my fuel filler door likes to stick shut, etc. this opposed to the subaru, which would often be towed into the shop just plain not running or running so horribly as to be undriveable.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
wow so sounds like you made the right decision going with the Mazda...I like the RX-8 I just wish they kept it more sporty like the RX-7...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wow so sounds like you made the right decision going with the Mazda...I like the RX-8 I just wish they kept it more sporty like the RX-7...D
after living with a car with super stiff coilovers/poly bushings/biiiig swaybars (25/23mm f/r +/- a few iirc) i'm actually happy to have a softer car. maybe it's just me getting old. :D it still has all the fundamentals down: sub-3k if only barely, double wishbones, LSD, no turbo lag, rwd, 50:50 distribution.

if it had more power it'd make a great A Stock car, hanging with the Boxster S, STi and Evo, but in its current less-than-overpowering form it makes a great daily driver and an entertaining and class-leading B Stock machine. (and even as "slow" as it is it's faster than 99% of honda products! heh)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
. (and even as "slow" as it is it's faster than 99% of Honda products! heh)
yeah as much as I like Honda as a company...I really would like a RWD or 4wd drive car. I'll keep my Integra but S2000's are to expensive so I'm looking into getting a 240sx, Skyline or Miata to play with...D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
On the bonus challenge do we have to do the top speed test to qualify? If not, mine is 280mph. But I cheated.

Also, the car I'm using in the latest challenge likes to try to make one with the sky above 150mph. Damn.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh yeah and my highest for the bonus challenge so far: 270.22 MPH...D
no nitrous, practice mode at test track (so no other cars/no drafting), right? well, under those conditions i just logged 301 mph

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
6th Challenge:
Course - El Capitan (Normal)
Car - Open
Conditions 250hp max
Deadline Wednesday 7/18 11:59 PM PST
this is 250 hp max after mods, right? assuming that to be the case, and with no nitrous :D, here's the time i'm going to submit (since i'm short on time myself this week:

1'41.784"

screenshot to come after the challenge is over as to not divulge the car if everyone else didn't figure out which one to pick. of course, i didn't try any others on course although i did outfit a few to the 250 hp spec to see how they might stack up. final disclaimer: i might have screwed up a digit or two in the .0XX range.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
damn I made an error and forgot to exclude the Escudo from the top speed bonus round....oh and no drafting folks your car should be the only one on the track...D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good lawd, i think i'll have to pick a different car :D . i don't think my 1'41" lap was _that_ bad in my current ride.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
good lawd, i think i'll have to pick a different car :D . i don't think my 1'41" lap was _that_ bad in my current ride.
The car I'm using has an really nice power/weight ratio (I think it's the lightest car in the game?), but it drives assy. :(

Oversteers like mad. I don't have a respectable time yet...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you're also using the caterham, blue? heh, looked so good on paper. the cure to oversteer is to not overdrive the car... also try reducing rear camber a bit, stiffening up the front swaybar, and loosening the rear swaybar a notch or two.

i think whatever i try next, after i get done with studying for the day -- big board exam this friday -- will have downforce. otherwise there's no real point in switching imo.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
you're also using the caterham, blue? heh, looked so good on paper. the cure to oversteer is to not overdrive the car... also try reducing rear camber a bit, stiffening up the front swaybar, and loosening the rear swaybar a notch or two.

i think whatever i try next, after i get done with studying for the day -- big board exam this friday -- will have downforce. otherwise there's no real point in switching imo.
No...the Ginetta G4...239hp at 440kg. If it goes over 150, it tries to fly.

edit: Doh! How'd I forget the Caterham?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if blue was within 3s of me in the same car, first try or not, i guess my 1'41" wasn't that great of a lap after all ;)

:-)D)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
while i logged a 1'39.579" in the caterham, my best time (and submission time, i'm done for real now! :D) is 1'35.484".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hint: it's a concept car of sorts from a company with a strong motorcycle heritage

(what everyone else is using i don't know, but this is the one that worked for me)