Quantcast

Guess who is on the list now...

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I wish I could quote word for word, but this takes me back to Earthed 1 when Dale Holmes won some aussie 4x championship or something by cutting a guy off his lin in a berm. The dude was pissed. While interviewing Dale afterwards he said, "Its time for him to toughen up a bit, in bmx we are all furious."

Dan

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
My take on it...regardless of Lopes and how people hate on him so much....If he really was taken out on pupose...how does this make our sport look? Not very professional if you ask me. I'm all for banging elbows and incidental contact but purposefully taking someone out just makes you look like a hack!

It's the main reason I stopped racing BMX and eventually 4X..riders are willing to hurt others as well as themselves all for a throphy or medal....and if you're on the pro circuit your messing with a riders living...show some class. It's the only way MTB is ever going to be taken seriously...D

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I wish I could quote word for word, but this takes me back to Earthed 1 when Dale Holmes won some aussie 4x championship or something by cutting a guy off his lin in a berm. The dude was pissed. While interviewing Dale afterwards he said, "Its time for him to toughen up a bit, in bmx we are all furious."

Dan
Actually Dan "We're BMXer's , we're all fairies"

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
hard to tell from the pic, but it looks to me like just one of those things. Two determined riders going for a spot where only one will fit. Boom.

and dude, mountain biking is never, ever going to be taker seriously. Its a fringe sport, and always will be.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
ever see Lopes take a turn in person? I'd say by the time Gee was even in the frame of the pic they were hitting.

Now that I see the pic, I'd say that the biggest issue is there is no maker to force you to hit the berm. Obviously the berm is the fastest way to go and the exit ramp is the direction you want to be heading. It looks like Gee took advantage of a poorly marked off course and just said the hell with the berm...I'll just beat him to the coke machine. Who cares if the course goes the other way...:happydance:
Its not a poorly marked off course. In my opinion courses are better off if the inside of the turn is left open. It leaves the option of going inside and making a block pass. If the only option for that corner was to ride the berm it would be a follow the leader race. Block passing is very common and makes for much better racing.

There is a line on when a block pass is "fair" and when it becomes blatant contact. From the looks of the picture it looks like Gee was actually able to get out in front, allowing Lopes to see him. In my opinion this makes for a fair pass. It just happens that contact occurred and both riders went down.

If he never actually got into the lead at some point of that corner and Lopes honestly had no way to see him and Gee just collided with some point of Lopes's bike then it was blatant contact for the sake of taking him out. From the pictures that does not look to be the case. Just my opinion though.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I hate being taken out like that, I can't tell whos at falt from the pics
but that is why dual slalom is still the better sport. period
it's a race all the way down the course and no excuses. If someone
takes you down it's obvious who's at falt.
I like rubbin elbows too, but I have put block passes on guys with no contact then have then do a state trooper move by t-boning my
bottom bracket.
I agree with Lopes that ain't racing, I've raced Lopes and know
he's actually a cool guy. I haven't seen him every pull moves like that
taking someone out. So if he says it was a bad move it probably was
this guy knows and has made the sport!
You jerks out there who just dont like him speaking out prob. dont
even race 4x.
I dont personally like to talk any crap before I get someone back
I just doit! and I have a list but I just keep it in the back of my head!

JPHeredia

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Here is a link to the website. There is a video of the competition, although you cannot really tell what happened.

It looks like an accident if someone asked me. Two dudes going down at the same time at high speeds... **** happens.
Im not too fond of people who are willing to hurt others to get a trophy, but i think this was a damn accident.
I think BL is a very skillful rider but saying something like that on his pesonal website seems unprofessional and stupid (for lack of a better word). Have a list, make your damn schedule, but I'm w/ Metal Dude , just keep it in the back of you head.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You know how many times in Moto I've seen people take that inside line to get ahead? There's always an inside/ouside line in turns like that. Lopes is just pissed that he lost......and fell at the same time. Like it looks good when you're the #1 rider not only loosing but falling down as well...

Besides that.......and any opinions of it....it's such a sad day to see people having "hit lists" as far as racing goes. Sure there are cheap shots......and things of that nature but even then to have a list.......or something you refer to like that is just stupid. It is a race.......and they do have $$$ on the table for it. The way I've always thought and seen races were fastest to the finish. Well fastest within being a good sport about it.

Truth is racing is racing. They weren't just doing this for fun, see who could do it. It's a RACE. Poop happens, it just get's blown up because it's Lopes? I think comments that he's made on his site really show what kind of competitor he really is. From the way that blog sounded he's just as dirty as the one's that do it on purpose.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
You jerks out there who just dont like him speaking out prob. dont
even race 4x.
WTF? We don't need to race friggin 4x to see that the guy's a tool and a ****ty sportsman. The kind of attitude he spouted is highly unprofessional and reflects very poorly on him as a professional athlete.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah after seeing the video it's still hard to tell, looked pretty
close to just stuff happening to me. I'm not judging it, that
is why I usually like racing, no judging involved, when that happens
takes the fun or competition out of it. So a judge says o.k. you
t-boned-Lopes wins! then that sucks he wins on a technicality!
Kinda Catch-22.
I'm not saying Lopes is right with his "hit list" and accusations
just that t-boning and crashing someone to win isn't racing
I don't care if Nascar does that crappy tail tapping crash pass
deal either I already know that Nascar ain't racin'
I do like the way it's handled in Motocross, you know if it is
a bad pass the guys just comin' back for you.
With so many laps it is usually settled quicky by retaliation.
Too bad Lopes has to put that out there to intimidate the guy
towards the next meeting!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
dexter, I remember you taking me and brendan and a whole bunch of others out during practice at angelfire when we all raced jr.x. I think there were 3 RPM riders in one heat and you managed to pile everyone up. I thought it was hilarious.

rubbin is racing. why else would there be 4 guys on the same track?
Ha best part about that was in the semi finals i got slammed in the first corner and comming out of the jump line, i slid in and cut the kid off that hit me and knocked his front wheel off track and cut off the pack. brendan then knocked me over and i had to run down the rest of the course with crooked bars a bent front wheel. that was hella fun
i agree t bone'n someone is not cool but there have been time were you try to out jump someone or come hot into a corner and the timing just isnt right and you colide

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
also i hate lopes. story- it was at the alpine valley national and somekid asked him to sign a shirt or something and he totally ignored the kid and then told him he had more important things to do (btw he was sitting in a chair drinking some energy drink with one headphone in). someone at that race got a hold of his wheels i heard and changed the stickers on them from saying brian lopes to something along the lines of "im gay" or I "love cock" or something like that. supposedly the mechanic caught it at the last minute.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I've never met the guy (Lopes) - he is a great mountain X racer, with tons of experience and guts.

Unfortunately it would seem that his downfall is his disposition.

This isn't the first time I have read about incidents involving Lopes and the way he chooses to handle things, and that's unfortunate because he definitely has the potential to be a great teacher, respected member of the DH/Mountain-X community, and role model for the rest of us...

Like say maybe, Eric Carter.:biggrin:

Here is an experience that one of the guys from NSMB had with him:

I was looking forward to sitting back and observing personalities of the other racers. I had heard rumors about Lopes being a bit of a primadonna and he did not disappoint, at least early in the trip. My intro to him was during our first bus ride up to Ollataytambo. As we all listened to traditional music we were getting acquainted with our hosts and fellow riders he pipes up form the back of the bus; “turn that f*&^%ing music off - if I wanted to hear flutes I would whistle to myself.” I can not speak for our hosts or the other racers impressions, but I was surprised to find Brian not the most professional pro considering he was enjoying the hospitality courtesy of tourism Peru and the race organization.
http://blogs.nsmb.com/team/archives/2006/10/distant-but-certainly-not-faint-memories-of-peru/

...a top pro once told me - "You don't make friends racing Mountain-X"... if anyone should know this it's Lopes - it's not like he hasn't been in a bad wreck before with another rider.

The proper thing to do would have been to take up the issue with Gee face to face, and sort it out that way. I don't think writing threats against another pro on the web is the best way to promote good sportsmanship.

Just a thought.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If Gee was "planning" on taking him out, why is Gee on the ground too? Pretty wild plan that involves you both crashing and hoping the other guys wheel buckles. Lopes is a whining girl... A "hit list"? Fark... he sounds like one of those guys that sits at home cleaning a gun or something.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
'roid rage?

:brows:

nah, just sour grapes...and publishing the fact that you're gonna get even = stupid. If you're a professional athelete = VERY stupid

Move on eh? It's JUST doing skids and tooling around on push bikes... there are bigger things in life to get all worked up about.

(edit to add - but damn I wish I had 1% of BL's skills, he is a damn fine rider)

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Just a fact from the race.
Because Gee was the one with the best time,he was able to choose the gate (left or right), the left one was the best because it takes you directly to the berm, but because most of the organizers licks Brian's balls, they let brian choose. Gee was a little bit angry but still, it was ok with him. The rest is story.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
also i hate lopes. story- it was at the alpine valley national and somekid asked him to sign a shirt or something and he totally ignored the kid and then told him he had more important things to do (btw he was sitting in a chair drinking some energy drink with one headphone in). someone at that race got a hold of his wheels i heard and changed the stickers on them from saying brian lopes to something along the lines of "im gay" or I "love cock" or something like that. supposedly the mechanic caught it at the last minute.
ah ha ha ha, I know this story and who did it! "Brian Loves Dick"
it said, on his signature rim from sun. It was done while he was distracted
and caught on video for one of the most hilarious films I've seen in
mt. biking. It was removed before he saw it.
If he'd showed up with that on his rims he'd been laughed out
of the place! Dude that was the best 4x course, supercross jumps!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ah ha ha ha, I know this story and who did it! "Brian Loves Dick"
it said, on his signature rim from sun. It was done while he was distracted
and caught on video for one of the most hilarious films I've seen in
mt. biking. It was removed before he saw it.
If he'd showed up with that on his rims he'd been laughed out
of the place! Dude that was the best 4x course, supercross jumps!
Hey Chuck. You do realize that as I'm reading all this, I can't help but think of you at Asheville's Dual course, Snowshoe's dual...heck any dual or 4X at your countless Nationals for that matter. I've never seen you shy away from contact!!!
If anything, I've seen you grind more knobs off others tires than anybody I know...but not once a single T-bone or dirty move. RESPECT!:cheers:

Oh...and that wreck...setup by the layout of the course. Whoever has the inside, in this case, Atherton, loses the race at the top of that stair case. If they're not first to their separate set of stairs, they lose. He refused to lose and the only way to stop Lopes was to take him out.

Now agreed, first racer to the turn has "lane choice"...but honestly, if you think that wasn't a take out...you're in denial and you probably think Senators have your best interest at heart.:brow:
Atherton straight shot that turn and he never even slid his bike the slightest to try to turn. He went straight as an arrow. Heck...Lopes actually T-Boned Atherton.

If you were on a BMX track or a MTNX and went straight through the turn without so much as a drift or attempt at turning...you're basicly setting up a roadblock...not a block pass.

The "list"...yeah...pretty lame to air it. One time I tried to kid with Spunger that since he didn't buy my bike, he was gonna have a bullseye on his back on the DH. Nobody knew it was all just a joke besides me. :happydance: Needless to say..I haven't tried to use that punchline again.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ha, my favorite Chuck story was at one of the ETSU's MTX races.
A super talented rider who just moved into our area went up against Chuck, and Chuck had a good lead on him going into a wide open corner. The rider squared up on Chuck and t-boned him as bad as it gets. Front wheel to bottom bracket kind of t-bone. Nobody told him about Chuck's love for contact though.
Chuck just raised his elbow and braced himself, and the guy flipped over him and he rode on down to the finish. Never said a word to him.
Classic.:biggrin:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
LOL...that was funny...he thinks he is such a badass, i mean he is good, but he is a sore loser.

wow.
who knew he was a "touch me not"
frikkin primma donna.
with an attitude like that he needs to move to nascar,
so he can join all the other whining sore losers.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I guess I will have to add Gee to my hit list of people that have one coming to them from me. It's not a good list to be on, because when and if I get the chance, there is going to be some damage done.
Aw....sounds wike Bry-Bry needs a binky and a nappy-nap. Poor wittle guy must be all tuckered out and cwanky.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have no idea whether Lopes' claims are reasonable (based on the pics, I have my doubts, though), but just because something is legal doesn't mean its sportsmanlike or justified.

There are tons of sports where you can do things that you are not going to get called for but are not really good things to be doing.

Anyone ever play football? I can remember bunch of times on punts, kickoffs or regular plays when the ball is about 60 yards away or the ballcarrier is being tackled and they just haven't blown the whistle...some clown will just blindside you. You might just be standing there or jogging downfield and the play is basically over, but somebody wants to just take you out because they can. It's a dick move that doesn't get any calls about 95% of the time. But it's really just classless.

Rubbin is racin and all that...but most people would (or should) acknowledge that there's a difference between rubbing and block passing and simply crashing into someone.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
.....You might just be standing there or jogging downfield and the play is basically over, but somebody wants to just take you out because they can. It's a dick move that doesn't get any calls about 95% of the time. But it's really just classless.

Rubbin is racin and all that...but most people would (or should) acknowledge that there's a difference between rubbing and block passing and simply crashing into someone.
I agree.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
first of all what lopes did was stupid, wether gee hit him purposefully or not is another matter that is just very un-professional.
i dont know the guy but hee always comes across as a nice guy, ive never seen him try a take out move on anyone, and i realy cant see him setting out to do somthing like that, hes a professional i doubt it was in any way planned or even meant to happen, he saw a line and took it, it didnt work out, they both ended up on the floor and it was just un fortunate that brians wheel buckled. As for the bit about dan that is realy low, he has been unlucky but dan certainly wasnt condeming gee nor was he taking brians side, i used to have respect for brian as a great racer but i have now lost that, especially if the story about the kid is true.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
After looking at the video, I have to say g cleaned him out....the direction of the course and direction G was going are two different deals, If he doesn't make contact I think G would have ran into the wall?
He doesn't t-bone home though he cleans his front wheel out,
In the pictures you can see that BL spots him out of the corner of his eye but they are moving to fast for him to stop,
I think Bl was crazy for leaving that inside line open though as he passed Dan (G's brother) the round before by going inside I’m sure they talked about it? That was a big inside line to leave open in a final.

I think aside from losing that the hardest part for BL is that he got passed so aggressively at an event like this in November

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
So, Gee was at fault too - but have you spoken with Lopes about this whole "vendetta" thing he's got going on and the threats he's made toward Gee, Tsugg, and Marossi?

I can understand him being pissed off, but to make threats like that out in public... it's just not good sportsmanship, and adds to a bad situation, I think.

Can anything be said for taking the "high road"? (no pun intended):)

BC - what are your thoughts on this?

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England

Dan

Thats the uk nps 4x champs, scots beumonts out infront, theres an inside and outside double line the inside jumps into the ,middle of the berm so you have a 90 degree tight turn into the berm or theres a outside line that goes straight round the berm, dale was behind and risked it coming in late as scot was just exiting and pushed him off the course into the grass (allot slower to pedl through) whilst dale was left on the track to take the win, a bit anoying for scott who was very close but there are no real rules in 4x so......

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
tsugg does seem to be taking people out/ pushing them off line allot, he pushed brian out at ft bill, then brian surprise surprise complaines about the corner and how it needs to be changed wtf! but im pretty sure he took gee out at rotura to take the bronze, i might be wrong but im pretty sure ive herd of a few other occasions, but still thats 4x not sporting but it aint in the rules and whos to say he means to he just might be a bit ambitious in line choice

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Taken from Brian Lopes web site:

At 4:30am the event finally was over and Gee Atherton I guess you could say won. The reason I say it like that is because I was winning and he took me out so bad even his brother Dan was like, "man, you have not had too good of luck with being taken out this year". He hit me so hard, straight T-boning me that it was like I got blind sided. I didn't even see him until we were both crashing. My front wheel was so bent it would not spin, so basically Gee got up and just rolled down the rest of the course.

Pretty amazing that he would pulll a move like that, especially in an event like this. I guess I will have to add Gee to my hit list of people that have one coming to them from me. It's not a good list to be on, because when and if I get the chance, there is going to be some damage done. Marossi, and Tsugg are also on this list. The lucky thing for these guys is that 99% of the time they are behind me, making it hard for me make them pay. Keep up the dirty riding you losers! If you can't make a good move, then take the lose like a man, don't be a bitch and try these kamikazi moves.

Lopes
LOL ,you go to lopes wesite!

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
Everybody has a "list", just not always public knowledge I guess?

I'm sure I've been on a few, plus I've had my own lists, but that's what makes racing good. Friends off the track , enemies on.

I just tend to keep it to myself a little more than BL. BL has always been a little more outspoken than the rest of us.

It all ends up working out in the end, at least that's my theory?!?

I personally think that as a whole the 4X MTB pro scene is pretty nice to each other, and could use a few rivalries to spice things up!

We'll see in 2007?

Big HOuse

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
So, Gee was at fault too - but have you spoken with Lopes about this whole "vendetta" thing he's got going on and the threats he's made toward Gee, Tsugg, and Marossi?

I can understand him being pissed off, but to make threats like that out in public... it's just not good sportsmanship, and adds to a bad situation, I think.

Can anything be said for taking the "high road"? (no pun intended):)

BC - what are your thoughts on this?
i haven't discussed this incident with BL...i did discuss the Marosi move at worlds, which at the time i thought was super dirty but on the earthed trailer posted here somewhere it looks not as bad...there was a hole, but not enough for Marosi to fit into so he tried to jump in and create room....again like G...if Marosi doesn't make contact he flies off the track, I don't think the intention was to crash for Marosi or G?

As far as the whole vendeta/ hit list deal in public, everyone has a different approach i guess, thats BL's way of letting those guys know he won't tolerate it....thats as far as i'm going on that.