Quantcast

Guess who is on the list now...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Oh jeez..... what a charmed life poor lopesy leads if THIS is his biggest problem in life. Skills, talent, balls etc etc etc...yes yes all of that. But it's still JUST bicycle racing. Methinks he's been at it so long he's lost all perspective of the real world and actually thinks it matters. Even if it WAS a total cheap shot (which I'm not saying it was), who gives a rat's ass? Sh!t happens in racing. Of all people, he's been around long enough to know that.

S'pose G will post an "Oh yeah?? Well you're on MY list!" on his own website?

Then they could have an e-battle.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Disclaimer - I am a former Lopes hater but have been reformed by Lopes himself who I now consider to be a different and really nice guy. People grow up and change, give the guy a break.

My take - Just because he talks about this stuff on his site doesn't necessarily mean that he's sitting at home stewing about this whilst making little Gee, Marosi, and Guiddo voodoo dolls and cutting their arms off and crap.

These days, athletes maintain websites so their fans/sponsors/interested parties can stay informed and to promote themselves. It's entertainment to build the brand (read marketing). If most of us had blogs on the internet - 1) Imagine the stupid sh*t you'd write on there and 2)Good luck trying to get anyone to read it.

Like others have mentioned here, I think it's a good thing that he airs his dirty laundry a little - the sport needs a little drama and excitement, especially in November.

I'm not saying he wasn't super pissed, I don't really know. I just think everyone on here is making a HUGE deal about it.

BTW, Big House, I'm still sorry about that first turn incident at the Big Bear dh mania thing a few years ago. I swear it wasn't my fault and I have photographic proof to back me up. If I hadn't cheated and watched Frosty flip the switch on the start gate though, I wouldn't have even been close enough to touch you. I hope I'm not on your list.

A bit off topic, but is there a statute of limitations for being on someone's list? There should be.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
man...if Palmer had posted a hit list on his website, you guys would be high fiving and photoshoping bullseyes on people's chests.

Oh...and in that pic of Lopes and EC racing...the expression on his face is a gem!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
ballr:
Like others have mentioned here, I think it's a good thing that he airs his dirty laundry a little - the sport needs a little drama and excitement, especially in November.
Ehh... I've heard that argument before and I'm not buying it... It's one thing to be flamboyant as a top pro and have a some attitude and style that sets you apart from everyone (like Cedric), but when you start complaining about other riders, and threatening them in a public forum, that's not "good" for our sport or any sport for that matter. I still think there's something to be said for setting an example if you're going to say anything in public as a well-known athelete. Yeah, this is one of those "bad press is good press" things for Lopes, but I still think the way he chose to handle the whole thing was the wrong approach.

Now Palmer - this is a guy that was a badass WAY before he ever threw a leg over a mountain bike. I've been snowboarding for 16 years, and I remember way back in 92' when he( rode for Sims) and Jeff Brushie(Burton) got ticked at how the judging was at some of the halfpipe comps. So Brush & Palm got together and came up with this plan: Brush bleached his hair to look like Palm, dressed like Palm, rode his Sims sig. board, and Palmer pretended to be Brushie. Right down to the number bibs they were wearing for the comp. I think one of them won the comp. but later they both got disqualified, and Burton got pretty pissed at Brush. I remember there were people watching the comp. going: "... man Palmer looks kinda weird... did he put on some weight?"

Hilarious!

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
Ballr:

If I remember correctly I seen your photo proof from big bear...but it doesn't show the shot to the ribs I took before my leg got stuck in your bike!

Anyway, the reason I didn't make it all that big of deal was that I still beat you... slow poke! That had to sting enough as far as I was concerned. Also the noise/sound you made when I passed you towards the bottom was priceless!

Good stuff.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
That was hilarious when you blew by me. The whole time you were back there I thought you were my teammate Dave. The noise you heard was utter shock and exasperation. How embarassing! Oh well, it wasn't as bad as the time I fell on my face while running the bases in little league! At any rate, I guess I owe you a beer sometime!

The real question is if you hadn't caught back up and passed me, would you have talked about it on the internet so other people could argue about it for ten pages worth? Someone get BL an account over here. I'm dying for him to chime in and add to the richness!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've never met the guy (Lopes) - he is a great mountain X racer, with tons of experience and guts.

Unfortunately it would seem that his downfall is his disposition.

This isn't the first time I have read about incidents involving Lopes and the way he chooses to handle things, and that's unfortunate because he definitely has the potential to be a great teacher, respected member of the DH/Mountain-X community, and role model for the rest of us...
I was at a NORBA in Helen, Ga back in 1995. I was doing DH practice runs and I ended up in the shuttle truck with BL. It was me, my buddy, BL and some other pro on BL's team (Mongoose). I tried to say something to him and he completely ignored me like I wasn't even there. The sad thing is that his team mate apologized for him. :disgust: IMO, he's a poor human being and I enjoy seeing him get beat.

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
Yeah, that was my experience down in Peru. A had more content of what I considered fairly childish acts of behaviour (certainly unbecoming of a top, sponsored pro rider) but chose not to take the story in that direction. Leave it to say I lost some respect for him during the trip and would choose not to support his sponsors.

Has Brian been in the sport of biking to long that he is not having fun anymore and it has become to much of a job? Maybe he is a guy who just does not care about much (including what people think of him) other than his own interest?

In fairness I met Brian again at Crankworx and he was a friendly guy, so maybe he is just moody or maybe he has kakorrhaphiophobia;) ;)

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I met BL at the Toronto Bike show, sat down and chatted with him for quite a while.

My take is that hes a good guy, but definitely one thats used to getting things his way. Hes used to winning, and hes a goddam machine at it. He does occasionally come off as a bit spoiled, and a bit of a poor sport, but I suppose everyone has thier weaknesses. Still, hes a great guy to talk to, and super honest about things.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I was at a NORBA in Helen, Ga back in 1995. I was doing DH practice runs and I ended up in the shuttle truck with BL. It was me, my buddy, BL and some other pro on BL's team (Mongoose). I tried to say something to him and he completely ignored me like I wasn't even there. The sad thing is that his team mate apologized for him. :disgust: IMO, he's a poor human being and I enjoy seeing him get beat.
Damn homie didn't know you were on the scene way back then-
I was there on my xc bike checkin it out.
My Lopes encounters have been friendly ones- I never crashed him tho-
although I stepped in on a near rumble on the 4cross course in Durango
in 01' between him and another rider who jumped on course in front
of him and wouldn't give the kiss ass apology he wanted. Lopes was
in the right but was pretty cocky about it.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I would say Palmer was alot worse at the friendly game than Lopes
I tried to be friendly with him on several occasions to which
WHAT? with a shrug, was his reply when I was tryin to compliment
his agressive riding. I think Voreis was on specialized (along with
his accomplishments as a racer) to be a balance to Palmers rashness.
Kirt was super cool on one occasion stepped in front of shaun and
started a friendly conversation. When asked how to get to the
top level he gave me 15 minutes of any advice he could think of.
He really just acts like an ordinary guy. Most of the top level pros
are cool. They have their days like anyone and may have alot on
their minds at times when us mortals speak to em. But come on
you making a living riding mtbikes you gotta be pretty happy-
and outside a mountain bike race nobody knows who they are from Adam.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
That would be the Gorge Games in 2000?
My site crashed awhile back but I had a bunch of clips and pictures from that.
My take was that king got pushed out fair and square, but came back and just bashed the guy. Not much respect for that kind of racing?
I guess thats why I never got into 4x. A lot of times its not the best rider, but the rider that can get the best cheap-shot...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I think he just wishes it was still slalom-where 9 out of 10 runs
the fastest guy wins- I would have complained about the
takeout in the worlds it was alot bigger deal -
You know he wants to stack up the titles with gettin old and all-
oh he did fuss about that one on the report from worlds -hah!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I would say Palmer was alot worse at the friendly game than Lopes
I tried to be friendly with him on several occasions to which
WHAT? with a shrug, was his reply when I was tryin to compliment
his agressive riding. I think Voreis was on specialized (along with
his accomplishments as a racer) to be a balance to Palmers rashness.
Kirt was super cool on one occasion stepped in front of shaun and
started a friendly conversation. When asked how to get to the
top level he gave me 15 minutes of any advice he could think of.
He really just acts like an ordinary guy. Most of the top level pros
are cool. They have their days like anyone and may have alot on
their minds at times when us mortals speak to em. But come on
you making a living riding mtbikes you gotta be pretty happy-
and outside a mountain bike race nobody knows who they are from Adam.

- but the thing about Palmer was you always knew what you were getting. Palmer was consistent about being a hard-ass to everyone. :biggrin:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Sonoma this year was a close one.
Here on 2nd straight away you guys are close.
I think at the finish line you were even closer!
That was some of the best racing I have ever seen...the horse power Lopes put down to close the gap in the last 20 yards was unhuman. Besides Ec's race at Worlds that was probably the best race I have ever seen...millimeters at the line, seriously. I was screamin like a little girl.:cheers:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Yeah Lopes complained on that one too-
can't blame him he said there was no photo
finish available. Norba is the one who should
get this kind of attention for lack of effort on
their series. Oh I guess everyone is tired of that rant.
including myself I boycotted the series last season
and hit up some MSC action along with what East Coast
Action that went down. Rode some good courses for once!

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Lopes is a egotistical bitch. So stuck on himself he doesn't even think maybe someone else was just taking a better line. It's always personal for that prick. Gee isn't the vindictive sort from what I have seen, whereas I could see Lopes pulling that move with the intention of T boning.

Nov 2, 2006
San Diego
You're currently on mine.

Just sayin.

So while we've got have the top norba guys here, how many lists you think chris powell is on?:biggrin:
I don't think I'm on anyone's lists. Maby one person, but he can check me off of it now. All this negetivity towards Lopes sucks. Its so easy to be judged by people when you only have brief encounters. Many times people have false images of factory riders based on perceptions they have developed from magazines and videos. If your projection differs from that person's actual personality then often your dissapointed. Maby the case with some of you, maby not. However, BL is the Champ and that deserves a certain amount of respect. If I had a succesful carreer as he has had, my head would be held just as high--feel free to call it cocky. That attitude wins races. Maby some of you talked to him when he was hungry--he gets grumpy when his tummy is empty.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't think I'm on anyone's lists. .

Whoohoo more pros!

So's who's a better person to talk smack about? What about that beavers guy?

Hey chuck: you're on my list for building some sweet dirtjumps that actually have some size to them. Pete took me out there last year when I was in town for work. You've got a good thing going out there.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Yup, I lost a lot of respect for Lopes this summer when he refused to race the Garbanzo DH at Whistler. Apparently he thought the course had too many flat sections and wanted it changed. Others say he just chickened out after a little bit of rain overnight prior to the event even though course conditions were completely dry by race time.
In any case sounds like he has become a whiner and all that success has inflated his head quite a bit.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
BL should wind his neck in a bit on this. It's not like hasn't previously bent the rules of a sport to gain an advantage over his fellow riders, even when it goes against the spirit of those rules and everything the sport stands for.

Besides that pic sequence clearly shows Gee in the lead on the 3rd shot, BL may have been on the faster line but Gee had the ground. Tough.

bikedh7

Monkey
May 23, 2006
big bear city
Yeah, that was my experience down in Peru. A had more content of what I considered fairly childish acts of behaviour (certainly unbecoming of a top, sponsored pro rider) but chose not to take the story in that direction. Leave it to say I lost some respect for him during the trip and would choose not to support his sponsors.

Has Brian been in the sport of biking to long that he is not having fun anymore and it has become to much of a job? Maybe he is a guy who just does not care about much (including what people think of him) other than his own interest?

In fairness I met Brian again at Crankworx and he was a friendly guy, so maybe he is just moody or maybe he has kakorrhaphiophobia;) ;)

Yea he has been in the sport for a long time, but their is no reason to be that moody.Look at Eric Carter he has been in the game just as long ,and he is the most approchable pro I think their is right now.It is true everybody has bad days but, so many people including myslef have seen BL being a bitch, and he has MANY more coming.( like the Graves/lopes incident in cranksworks.

WAY TO GO GEE!!!!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Yea he has been in the sport for a long time, but their is no reason to be that moody.Look at Eric Carter he has been in the game just as long ,and he is the most approchable pro I think their is right now.It is true everybody has bad days but, so many people including myslef have seen BL being a bitch, and he has MANY more coming.( like the Graves/lopes incident in cranksworks.

WAY TO GO GEE!!!!
back in their hey day.
tomac and overend were also two top caliber racers who were also very friendly when approached by us common folk.

and b.l. can't hold a candle to those two.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
There is no doubt about it; there are a lot of negative stories floating around about Lopes. However, I think good old number 800 has Lopes beat…

http://media.putfile.com/GlenHelen/320

EDIT: Apparently there is some pretty rough language from the fans on this video. My apologies, I listened to it with my sound off. If you’re at work, you may want to do the same thing.
evidence of who is racing for the big paychecks right there. But who the heck is the guy on the KX who just appears out of nowhere riding backwards on the track...T-bones 1 rider, then pushes Alessi....???

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I don't think I'm on anyone's lists. Maby one person, but he can check me off of it now. ..... Its so easy to be judged by people when you only have brief encounters. Many times people have false images of factory riders based on perceptions they have developed from magazines and videos. ......
I heard the name Chris Powell was actually just an alter ego for David Thacker. Thacker is his name when he wants to live life outside the pro limelight. Then in his rockstar persona, he takes on the identity Chris Powell. When shriveling back to Thacker, he can often be heard mumbling in a voice much like Elvis "awwww....mahhhhnnn! That's Killer mahhhn!"

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
...BL is the Champ and that deserves a certain amount of respect. ....That attitude wins races. ...
word !!

hes the champ of bike racing not the champ of being friendly...but who cares ;)

i was standing next to BL last year in schladming and a lil' local boy asked for his signature...lopes said no...that kid was very disappointed ...

lopes won the 4X some hours later...

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Whoohoo more pros!

So's who's a better person to talk smack about? What about that beavers guy?

Hey chuck: you're on my list for building some sweet dirtjumps that actually have some size to them. Pete took me out there last year when I was in town for work. You've got a good thing going out there.
funny you mention those two topics in the same breath-
Beavers took me out hard in Mammoth in PRACTICE!
Not sayin' he's on my list, I just file those things under how
one rides.