Quantcast

Gwin bought Windrock

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is the bike park a completely separate thing from all the off road stuff?

Pretty cool news. Better investment than that mansion with no shitter view. :D

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
windrock isn't a ski resort, so none of that infrastructure. unfortunately that means no lift, but they are also open year round.
Every summer chairlifts at US ski resorts are replaced with higher capacity lifts. I've always wondered what they do with the old lifts and how a MTBer who owns a small mountain could get their hands on one. You'd think they'd have only scrap value and a resort would be happy to give it away to anyone willing to do the hauling.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Every summer multiple chairlifts at US ski resorts are replaced with higher capacity lifts. I've always wondered what they do with the old lifts and how a MTBer who owns a small mountain could get their hands on it. You'd think they'd have no value and a resort would be happy to give it away to anyone will
Silverton's only lift was bought 2nd hand and installed by hand. #themoreyouknow

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Every summer chairlifts at US ski resorts are replaced with higher capacity lifts. I've always wondered what they do with the old lifts and how a MTBer who owns a small mountain could get their hands on one. You'd think they'd have only scrap value and a resort would be happy to give it away to anyone willing to do the hauling.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
a t-bar is even cheaper, lots of german bikeparks are only operated with a t-bar lift. the one in the town i grew up in gets you up in under 3mins:

good for around 140m vertical, the steep parts are really something, around 45°

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a t-bar is even cheaper, lots of german bikeparks are only operated with a t-bar lift. the one in the town i grew up in gets you up in under 3mins:

good for around 140m vertical, the steep parts are really something, around 45°
given what i've seen in pics/vids of windrock (haven't been in person) I'd wager the terrain isn't suitable for a t-bar

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The insurance check from my Lahaina house arrives next week. The county still doesn't know when rebuilding can start. I could start building a bike park as soon as the snow melts... I liked living across the street from a world class reef pass but my love of trail building makes me think I need to buy a hill and chairlift before I'm too old to dig...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Maybe there are some Yan lifts sitting around somewhere…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Silverton's only lift was bought 2nd hand and installed by hand. #themoreyouknow
They bought that from sugarbowl out here. The way to do it is to contact the ski area as soon as they announce a tear down. Find out if the company tearing it down/replacing is taking it to sell, they're auctioning it, or if they'll take an offer. There's a guy with a huge swath of property that bought a lift from palisades/squaw and put up the towers....never did string the thing however. He owns it, it's just sitting at the bottom rusting.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I'm curious about the breakdown...is he just leasing the name? The land the bike park part is on (for those who don't know it's part of a huge ohv complex)? The shuttles and diggers? What about the enduro trails across the street? How does that factor into events? Shared amenities like the little shop where you get shuttle passes? So many questions!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm curious about the breakdown...is he just leasing the name? The land the bike park part is on (for those who don't know it's part of a huge ohv complex)? The shuttles and diggers? What about the enduro trails across the street? How does that factor into events? Shared amenities like the little shop where you get shuttle passes? So many questions!
......all in god's plan

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
The enduro trails are completely separate from the bike park. Those have been built with permission from Coal Creek by a small handful of people completely voluntarily (unless something changed with this purchase and he leases that land too).

My assumption with the bike park is that Aaron is buying the Windrock Bile Park's name, assets, and will take over or sign a new lease for the land.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Windrock Bikepark is 550ish leased acres of Coal Creek. Last winter Sean built a new lower shuttle road and new bikeshop that has it’s own parking lot down Hoskin’s gap road. The Gwinn’s are taking over running payroll etc at the park finishing the new shop building, and retaining the same core crew, led by Jake Kahn.

Southern Gravity(Sean’s company) will continue building and selling shuttle trucks and trailers, doing trail building across the region, and retains ownership of the TN National mountain bike festival, which remains at Windrock for 2024.

So stoked for Sean. He’s an incredibly creative guy, not having to worry about day to day operations at the park means great things for the mtb community.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Seems like @Avy needs to call his real estate agent.
You rang for Avy Brother Jack? I was just about to talk shit in the Neko thread. It seems there is a problem with the cost of the Frame with no shock. It was at that exact moment I saw a little bell up top? So here I am.

Look,you goin back in time on Avy about how I felt the price was to low. Good for him,I was wrong on thinking there did not seem tobe a good profit on the sale of his House. I thought 6 to 7 million was the market at least? I’m not talkin out my ass. I put Curry’s gym mirror’s in his current house. 22 years in that million dollar world.

Gwin has yet again made an another wining move Brother! Who is Badest in America Jack? Who?

Now he has his own,like Danny,yes sir. I can not think of a better idea to leave behind after I am gone. He has brought USA racing to a whole new level. I’m done typing on this phone. I say Good Day!

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Danny sorta bought his for his dad to run after his "career" as *manager* ended
That’s ok,it’s his no matter.

Reading above it seems Gwin does not own his? He took over a payment on a lease,which is wonderful,but not the same. Am I wrong?

Last,none of us own anything really. If the Feds want you’re land,it does not look good for you.

Avy