Quantcast

Helmets for 06

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I took a bad fall about a week ago and cracked my bell bellastic helmet so it is time for a new one. Out of this list which one should i get

06 Troy lee design D2 composite
06 giro remedy
06 six,six one

Keep in mind that i want one that can tack repetative hits with out cracking and that is also cool enough to be worn on a hot day.

also which one will offer the best protection, im leening toward troylee but their is the price factor and i want to make sure that im not paying just for graphics

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Adam Novatt said:
Keep in mind that i want one that can tack repetative hits with out cracking and that is also cool enough to be worn on a hot day.
It only take ones good hit to do any helmet in.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
im guessing its the flight, if he is willing to spend that much on a troylee helmet

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
umm i'd have to vote for a moto lid as well. i know there is a huge debate about which is more protective at what speeds etc. but me personally...i've gone down at high speeds and i don't feel comfortable in a mtn bike helmet. last time i went down hard i was wearing a D2...went down directly on my head at a very high speed destroying my helmet, getting a really bad concussion and not even being able to walk myself to the bathroom to take a leak. now granted if i wasn't wearing a helmet i would be dead...but i feel at the speed i went down if i had a moto lid on i wouldnt have been as messed up. the D2 did it's job but a moto lid definitely would have been better. so anyways...the D2 is cool and fits awesome but i don't feel the protection is that great in my opinion. i don't know much about the giros. i know the old mad max helmets seem to fit people with a wider head...they were always too wide for me. and the 661 moto lid that fabien barel wears seems really decent, it's a bit heavier than a DH lid obviously but it has awesome protection. another helmet i'm looking into is by HJC. http://www.hjchelmets.com/acx3_carbon.htm that's almost as light as a D2 but with moto protection. just my 2 cents on the whole thing.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
mtnbrider said:
Thats nice!! Are there any moto helmets that are somewhat light and don't cost as much as a bike.
that HJC i posted is in the price range of a D2 carbon and about the same weight as the D2 composite.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Bell has a new Moto called the Moto 8. McGraths Sig model. Light, breathes well and looks great. Fox V3 is another great choice. Go Moto for sure. You only need one crack at the melon before the insides spill out.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
luke d how fast were you going or what exactly happened, because i don't think i will be going quite that fast. and are you saying that the giro offers the same protection as the troylee, becuase if so that will save me a lot of money. also are the D2 the best protection you can get while still having a helmet intended for biking not a moto

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Adam Novatt said:
luke d how fast were you going or what exactly happened, because i don't think i will be going quite that fast. and are you saying that the giro offers the same protection as the troylee, becuase if so that will save me a lot of money. also are the D2 the best protection you can get while still having a helmet intended for biking not a moto
i can't quite comment on the protection of the mad max. my friend has one and has crashed hard in it and ended up talking crazy...but he talks crazy anyways lol i'm not sure about the D2. i've worn that, the bell and the original TLD daytona. i never crashed in the bell. the original daytona i got a concussion...the D2s i got concussions...both times in the D2s they were pretty bad as well. the 2nd crash i was going really fast through a loose rock garden...bike disappeared and i ended up landing on my head...didn't even have time to get my hands up it happened so quick. i'm surprised i came out of it with only that and no broken bones. i'm not trying to say anything bad about troy lee products...these r just my experiences with them, i love that helmet but after a few concussions i feel a moto lid is the best way to go right now.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Heath Sherratt said:
Bell has a new Moto called the Moto 8. McGraths Sig model. Light, breathes well and looks great. Fox V3 is another great choice. Go Moto for sure. You only need one crack at the melon before the insides spill out.

Both nice helmets I tried them on, not much heavier than a D2, i'm going to run a M2R moto helmet next season so we'll see.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
best moto lide in the d2 price range?.....don't know any, but i think these guys should

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
do they breath as well, how is the air flow on moto compare to bike ff helmets

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Heath Sherratt said:
Who does the M2R?

Made 2 Race is the full name of the company. Relatively new company..Pastrana has been running them, Brock Sellers, few other moto guys.

And they make their own helmets, it's not farmed out like alot of companies

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
Aren't you being a little paranoid with a moto? What's the worst that could happen? (You should the picture I have of Heath...)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have an older Specialized Hucker, which I like a lot for its sturdiness. But the new Deviant models (as well as the Giro Remedy) I believe are designed for the aggro XC enduro markets.

Like the old Giro Switchblade, this helmet is more protection for slower speed stuff. But if you are hitting big air or high speeds, more protection is needed.

Think of it this way: These new fullfaces weigh about 900 grams. The Fox V3 Moto weighs 1316 grams. You might not hitting 70 foot jumps, but I rather have more than less protection.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Adam Novatt said:
I took a bad fall about a week ago and cracked my bell bellastic helmet so it is time for a new one. Out of this list which one should i get

06 Troy lee design D2 composite
06 giro remedy
06 six,six one

also which one will offer the best protection, im leening toward troylee but their is the price factor and i want to make sure that im not paying just for graphics
In my opinion, the Troy Lee is a no-brainer out of those three helmet brands. If you're willing to put the money down, you won't regret buying a TLD lid.

BTW, have you seen the new 661 lids? They're kind of, well judge for yourself...

http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.aspx?id=b514d805-c511-4684-a777-553577ffe712&pl=BIKE

end0boy

Chimp
Sep 11, 2005
philippine archipelago
ive been using an azonic snell b95 for a year now and man is it hot inside! im thinking of getting a madmax2 or the remedy but the reviews on the tld d2 are really nice! the azonic fury kinda looks like the d2 too .. i dunno .. now im really confused!

hey adam,what are you getting??