SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
More info:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/551.1.pdf

Interesting parts:

Studded tires produce their best traction on snow or ice near the freezing mark
and lose proportionately more of their tractive ability at lower temperatures than
do studless or all-season tires.
2. The traction of studded tires is slightly superior to studless tires only under an
ever-narrowing set of circumstances. With less aggressive (lightweight) studs
being mandated, and with the advent of the new “studless” tire, such as the
Blizzak, since the early 1990s, the traction benefit for studded tires is primarily
evident on clear ice near the freezing mark, a condition whose occurrence is
limited. For the majority of test results reviewed for snow, and for ice at lower
temperatures, studded tires performed as well as or worse than the Blizzak tire.
For those conditions in which studded tires provided better traction than studless
tires, the increment usually was small.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but... I just got my snow tires put on my car and put them to use this morning in about 3 inches of fresh snow over a rock-hard layer of ice, and they are AWESOME. No slippage at all; totally confidence-inspiring in tough road conditions. Thanks to everyone for their help. (For reference, I got Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s mounted on 15-inch steel rims.)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but... I just got my snow tires put on my car and put them to use this morning in about 3 inches of fresh snow over a rock-hard layer of ice, and they are AWESOME. No slippage at all; totally confidence-inspiring in tough road conditions. Thanks to everyone for their help. (For reference, I got Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60s mounted on 15-inch steel rims.)
I have Blizzak somethings on my Mazda3, just came home from a quick run around town in our first big storm of the season. So far, so good!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i survived seven years of driving in colorado with whatever all season tires i felt like buying and not driving like a douche.