Quantcast

Highest quality aluminum frames?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My winter bike setup induces heart attacks in OCD victims: left lever and rear caliper are Deore LX M585 (still kick ass), right lever is Dual control XT lever, front caliper is the XT M785.

Fucking DUAL CONTROL? Jesus dude. I though I'd successfully bourboned that abomination out of my head.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My winter bike setup induces heart attacks in OCD victims: left lever and rear caliper are Deore LX M585 (still kick ass), right lever is Dual control XT lever, front caliper is the XT M785.

I’m actually liking the gripshift I put on the new deep freeze fatbike. Much less effort than my triggers and I can keep all my fingers together on the bar. I miss it when I’m riding my other fat bike.

The mechanical disc brakes...not so much.

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
Would I be asking the wrong question, if I asked, what (non-superboutique) brands make the most reliable aluminum frames? What is the right question?

Transition is at the top of the list, but my list is short because I don't know about a lot of other brands. I have had good luck with Scott and Giant. I researched Nukeproof all last night, and the Mega does seem to have very few problems. Although I don't think there are that many out there to begin with.

I assume Specialized and Trek make reliable aluminum bikes?
Santa Cruz?

Would I be asking the wrong question, if I asked, what (non-superboutique) brands make the most reliable aluminum frames? What is the right question?

Transition is at the top of the list, but my list is short because I don't know about a lot of other brands. I have had good luck with Scott and Giant. I researched Nukeproof all last night, and the Mega does seem to have very few problems. Although I don't think there are that many out there to begin with.

Santa Cruz?
My Joker broke, as all Jokers... I liked my Heckler, but the suspension bits always wanted to unscrew themselves... My 2015 Intense Tracer has served well, with annual maintenance generally including replacing some pivot bearings.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
I don't know about the current models, but the first generation Scout and Patrol had a tendency to crack, often at the chainstay yoke. The new model Transitions are roughly 1 fuckton heavier, I assume to make them tougher!

There's a metric shedload of Nukeproof Megas in the UK. I know the early ones could be a bit breaky, but I think the current ones are pretty solid.

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
I would grab the Devinci in a heartbeat if it weren’t $1000 more than the Nukeproof. They are high on my list, along with YT Capra, Commencal Clash, and Whyte 170. I’m also considering a Ranson 930, cuz I can get a good deal on it, but idk if I want 29in wheels.

Anyone heard of issues with Whyte frames? I’m going to do a little inestigatory work on their enduro frames.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Santa Cruz?
Again Nicolai. If you want reliability you go to them. Also some Trannies used to crack. Not a super big problem but there were not as abuse resistant as some other brands.

Also Giant Reign is sturdy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
in what world is nicolai not boutique?

I think all aluminum frames are pretty sturdy, at this point. You really have to be pushing it (which many Transition riders certainly do) to push the limits of most frames. I'm not really sure what OP is looking for...not boutique, but high quality, not "average" but special, high strength? I'd wager a bet that most frames from most manufacturers come out of the same factory, or at least nearby, and are made out of the same 6 or 7 series aluminum with minimal formulation changes.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
in what world is nicolai not boutique?

I think all aluminum frames are pretty sturdy, at this point. You really have to be pushing it (which many Transition riders certainly do) to push the limits of most frames. I'm not really sure what OP is looking for...not boutique, but high quality, not "average" but special, high strength? I'd wager a bet that most frames from most manufacturers come out of the same factory, or at least nearby, and are made out of the same 6 or 7 series aluminum with minimal formulation changes.
This.
Get a bike with the geo you like and good suspension kinematics.
If it has great warranty/customer service that´s a bonus.
If you can safe a bunch of cash, that allready buys you a new front triangle. So even if it breaks, you´ll still break even with the more expensive option.
I´d wager that warranty today is a more important factor than build quality, because as Sandwich already stated, most bikes today are strong enough to hold up to the abuse the average rider can dish out. If you´re shopping in the correct bike category. So IF the bike was to crack, warranty will sort you out. All the build quality in the world doesn´t help if you happen to get that one in a million dud.
Don´t overthink things.
If there is no commonly known huge problem with a frame, it´s probably good to buy.
You´ll find horror stories about nearly all frames out there, but in the end it´s all anecdotal knowledge and you have to decide what to believe and what not, what is a reoccuring problem and what is not.

A better way to go about it is to decide on a bike, then go and research it and/or ask specifically about that bike. If you like what you find (or don´t find), buy it.

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
I am learning a lot from this thread. That's why I started it. Thanks guys.

I think the right question then is, what companies would you recommend I stay away from? Kona and Orange? Anyone else?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Again Nicolai. If you want reliability you go to them. Also some Trannies used to crack. Not a super big problem but there were not as abuse resistant as some other brands.

Yeah I had to put new bearings in a Bandit recently as it had become a flexy noodle, after the new bearings it was a slightly less flexy noodle. The bearings had also been pressed in through overspray and one of the seat stay ends didn't look as if it was properly aligned, it's a nice looking frame but it was shit enough to put me off buying a used Tranny.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
I think the right question then is, what companies would you recommend I stay away from? Kona and Orange? Anyone else?
Even Kona and Orange make pretty solid bikes these days.

I mean Intenses are known for being wonky but do they even sell aluminium bikes anymore?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I wish they'd bring the Process 111 back and slap a 66deg HA on it.

I love my Commencals, but I'd have bought that in a hot second.

edit: check the Commencal Meta TR29. Frame or completes. Running mine with 27.5 wheels, so obviously my judgement is suspect. That said, yeah, stupid fun.

Last edited:

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
Anyone had bad luck or heard of horror stories from Marin bikes?

I googled and found some cracked stuff from 2006-2012, but nothing recent.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Please DON'T buy anything with that NAILD abomination. It'll warrant you a drone strike from any of the :monkey:'s old time members in no time.
NailD it...

Plus, no bike should have to look like that to work well...

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I am Governor Team Robot
My posts just whine, my takes are hot
Soon I will be president
E-bike power will soon go 'way
I will be Führer one day
I will command all of you
Your dumb bike is so not cool
Your dumb bike is so not cool
Pedal power Über Alles
Pedal power Über Alles
Über Alles pedal power
Über Alles pedal power
Fashion whores will control you
Hundred percent murdered out
You will ride for the mainstream brands
And always mock the Trust fork fans
Close your eyes, can't happen here
Big Bro' on black bike is near
The weird bikes won't come back, you say
Ride flat out or you will pay
Ride flat out or you will pay
Pedal power Über Alles
Pedal power Über Alles
Über Alles pedal power
Über Alles pedal power
Now it is two thousand twenty four
Knock-knock at your front door
It's the bike fashion secret police
They have come for your uncool niece
Come quietly to the camp
Your suspension's way underdamped
Your bar's too low, your tires suck
Learn to corner, or at least huck
Die on Sram brand poison gas
Lizard's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with Team Robot now
When you mess with Team Robot now
Pedal power Über Alles
Pedal power Über Alles
Über Alles pedal power
Über Alles pedal power

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

This. The lighter transition alloy frames cracked a bit and the new ones are land whales in comparison. They're probably good bikes though, and the weight should make them last, presuming its in the problem areas.

No idea about Orange trail bikes. Hardly anyone runs them here. The new Kona Process bikes are burly as, but similar frame weights to the Transitions, just a whole lot cheaper.

I'm with @norbar - the giant reign is probably the most durable, weigh and price optimized alloy frame around IMO. The older non-boost frames were really on the money. The ones have slightly longer reach numbers and a carbon rocker, but the actual seat post angle kicks back too far for my liking else I'd be on one but I prefer a really upright climbing position to save my back. If you don't care about that, then give one a test ride for sure.