Quantcast

Holy crap, check out THIS growroom.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
Wow thats amazing. They were probobally too arrogant after 5 years of that...You think the electric bill alone would signal all kinds of red flags...people need to learn how to be discreet.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Transcend said:
All that money & technology, and still stupid enough to get busted.

Cream of the crop, those drug dealers.
Stupid enough to get busted...hmm. Do you think they figured out how to setup that kind of operation on their own?? Drop in the bucket dude. How do you think they were able to keep that kind of operation going without help? $$ They took the fall for something way bigger. They are however smart enough to keep quiet.... By the way an ounce of weed is on par with an ounce of gold, sometimes more......

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
jdcamb said:
Stupid enough to get busted...hmm. Do you think they figured out how to setup that kind of operation on their own?? Drop in the bucket dude. How do you think they were able to keep that kind of operation going without help? $$ They took the fall for something way bigger. They are however smart enough to keep quiet.... By the way an ounce of weed is on par with an ounce of gold, sometimes more......
Whomever was running it had brains and $, and still got their operation shut down. Ya, I'd call that pretty stupid, no matter what.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Transcend said:
Whomever was running it had brains and $, and still got their operation shut down. Ya, I'd call that pretty stupid, no matter what.

Prolly factored in as the part of doing bidness. Kind of like shrink if you own a clothing store at the mall. Its a major cash crop not regulated by the gov. I just read were it was the in the top 10 ag crops in the state of washington. Shortly after 9/11 all those Canadian grow shacks serving the US market moved south. I think you will soon start to see more of this.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Smelly said:
$100 says otherwise. my guess is that they were running on their own power supply, be it from massive generators which were also underground in a very well ventilated room, or from something more creative.
I agree, some sort of underground generator that was very well muffled when it exited exhaust through the ground would probably be the best way. My guess is a papertrail or an insider is what took them down.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Curb Hucker said:
I agree, some sort of underground generator that was very well muffled when it exited exhaust through the ground would probably be the best way. My guess is a papertrail or an insider is what took them down.
Or an ex wife who didn't like the new girlfriend around her kids and didn't agree to the terms of the divorce.....

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
They can use helicopters equipped with special lenses that detect that type of light output. I'm moving to Tennessee soon, looks like good soil there:).:rofl:

Or could simply be the electricity bill depending on what variation or level of light was being used.

Sucks for them,
Peace John

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
N8 said:
There are a numerous ways to get busted... and most do get caught eventaully.
You're high. Very few get caught and most get rich actually. There are actually few ways to get busted even if your an idiot, and believe me most drug dealers are.

Most law enforcement would like you to believe that, but in fact they usually make most high level busts by accident. Any good cop will tell you that....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdcamb said:
You're high. Very few get caught and most get rich actually. There are actually few ways to get busted even if your an idiot, and believe me most drug dealers are.

Most law enforcement would like you to believe that, but in fact they usually make most high level busts by accident. Any good cop will tell you that....

You're right... that's what I ment to say... ;)

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
you'd think that with that money and technology...they would have bothered to employ someone with a "green thumb"....spindly plants compared to many other pictures I've seen...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Smelly said:
I'd be suprised if that was it because the growroom was probably far enough underground (150 ft) to avoid being picked up. The ground would've insulated it enough so that it wouldn't be noticed by infrared.

:stupid:
bah, no way it was 150 feet. It said 3 yards in. I don't think it meant 3 yards down. maybe, but that's a lot of digging...

I'm going to look up the story elsewhere and find out what really happened. Hope i can find something.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Definitely less than 150, half actually.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/archive/index.php/t-18763.html

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/16227.asp

LOCAL NEWS

TENNESSEE NEWS

KENTUCKY NEWS
NATIONAL NEWS

WORLD NEWS

SPECIAL REPORTS

Printer-friendly version E-Mail this page to a friend

Officials Make Largest Drug Bust in Middle Tennessee
Posted: 12/16/2005 5:06:00 PM
Updated: 12/16/2005 10:21:46 PM

Officials Make Largest Drug Bust in Middle Tennessee

It’s the largest marijuana drug bust in Middle Tennessee, and it's in the smallest county in the state.

Officials are on their way to Florida to pick up the third person in the drug operation, the District Attorney says could generate $8,000 (<=this must be a typo) per year.

Federal, state, and local investigators have shut down a huge pot growing and distribution operation in Trousdale County, in the Cato community. Officials there say marijuana was planted and growing in a cave that ran two miles long.

The head of this operation actually built his home above the cave, and had secret tunnels leading underground. The house had no furniture inside. The cave, 75 feet underground included underground offices, 800 marijuana plants, growing operations, cooling systems, heat lamps, and so much power it would sometimes knock out transformers to the entire community.

&#8220; It&#8217;s a beautiful A frame house which was completely barren as far as furniture, built on top of a natural cave,&#8221; said Assistant District Attorney David Durham.

&#8220;This cave is really like something you&#8217;d see in a James Bond movie,&#8221; said Durham.

It&#8217;s enough marijuana to make those behind the operation millionaires.

&#8220; I&#8217;ve prosecuted a lot of indoor operations. I&#8217;ve seen them under houses, in barns, but never ever would have thought of anything of this magnitude and this sophistication, this kind of money, especially in a little place like Trousdale, Tennessee.

Thousands of plants and more than $50,000 were found.

Three arrests have been made, but more are expected. Brian Gibson and Greg Compton are both in jail in Trousdale County facing drug charges. Officials are on the way to Florida to pick up the third defendant, Fred Strunk.

Members of the community say their small town has no room for drug dealers.

&#8220;I&#8217;m real proud that they caught them. And they got rid of it. So the kids around here and my grandkids maybe can have a safe environment to live in,&#8221; said Carolyn Harville. Harville runs the Dixon Spring Market.

The investigation has been going on for five years. This marijuana was not staying in the Trousdale county area. It was being trafficked out in a very sophisticated operation.

The two suspects who are in custody in Trousdale county are being held on $500,000 bond.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
so much power it would sometimes knock out transformers to the entire community.
dumbasses. If they weren't so greedy and scaled back their operation they probably could've gotten away with this forever.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
still stupid
Except the drug dealers really have figured out the get-rich-quick scheme for the middle and lower class in capitalist society, whereas the rest of us suckers...well...you know...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
Except the drug dealers really have figured out the get-rich-quick scheme for the middle and lower class in capitalist society, whereas the rest of us suckers...well...you know...
Dunno about you, but I make more then enough to get by and I work for myself. All this without needing to go to a pound me in the ass federal prison!

Also, so it looks like it WAS the power that got them. Complete and utter morons.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
Dunno about you, but I make more then enough to get by and work for myself.
Consider yourself lucky? Sorry, but if you want to have a really good chance at climbing out of the under $75k pit, be a drug lord. It's not hard. Sure, there's risks, but it's not hard, and once you own enough coca plantations in Columbia, just get in bed with the US gov't. You're set fo life!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blue said:
Consider yourself lucky? Sorry, but if you want to have a really good chance at climbing out of the under $75k pit, be a drug lord. It's not hard. Sure, there's risks, but it's not hard, and once you own enough coca plantations in Columbia, just get in bed with the US gov't. You're set fo life!
And you will always have that spectre of bubba and getting shot hanging over your head.

I'll stick to making webpages and taking pretty pictures. :weee:

J

JRB

This thread is another great example of how stupid this blue kid is.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
In general the LEO needs a warrant to check elecric bills and to infrared your house. (Varies by state, though... last time I checked, anyway.).

It could have been any number of reasons they got busted. Blabbed to friends too much, one of them could have been pulled over and caught with fresh stuff, LEO could have busted some small time dealer and followed the chain up to them, heck, someone could have stumbled on the op and reported it.

And they are not stupid for getting busted. It sounds like the cops worked very hard to bust these guys. If the guy was stupid he would have been busted five years ago. I think many of you label these kinds of people as stupid because you don't smoke, don't like people who do smoke and are just trying to act self righteous.

Edit: Although this... " and so much power it would sometimes knock out transformers to the entire community." could have raised a few eyebrows. heh heh...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'm not certain but it sounds like some people are saying the only way to make a decent living is to be drug lord? I am sorry but there is nothing decent about that and would rather earn my money doing something meaningful and respectable than being some 2 bit drug lord in the burbs.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
blue said:
This is an angry poor college students rage directed at Fraser.

I'm a poor college student, and am in no way angry. I'm lucky I can even afford to attend college because so many people can't. But hey if people are angry because they are spending 4 years doing something that will ultimately translate into higher earnings and better jobs for the rest of their life I guess its their problem:rolleyes:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm just angry I'm not a drug dealer, that's all.

I really do fail to see how some people can't pay for school. Granted, our uni system sucks compared to other developed countries (big shock?), but Stafford Loans, grants, private ed loans, etc make it not that hard to get through college if you go to a state school (without parental support...I'm doing it...).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
GumbaFish said:
I'm a poor college student, and am in no way angry. I'm lucky I can even afford to attend college because so many people can't. But hey if people are angry because they are spending 4 years doing something that will ultimately translate into higher earnings and better jobs for the rest of their life I guess its their problem:rolleyes:
Way more years in college then that for me, although pretty much none of it related to my current profession. Paid for all of it on my own, or with scholarships. No parents, and the one loan I took out is now paid.

Nice gratuitous use of Mr Grumpy tho! I had that entire series as a kid.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Transcend said:
Way more years in college then that for me, although pretty much none of it related to my current profession.
That's what I'm afraid of...I do know most employers don't really give a damn about what you majored in, just that you graduated (unless it's a specialized field), but it still bothers me. I don't want to get stuck being a financial consultant with a degree in International Relations, y'know?