Quantcast

Honda RN01 frameset

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
**** me,.... havn't you heard the adage win on sunday sell on monday?

That should go double for you dw. (though like you say... they're hardly dominating at the moment)

The homogenisation of the big companies (here I'm thinking about what SRAM's been doing for the last few years) and the shrinking of supply chains could be more or less totaly guzumped by Honda stepping in.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
haven't you understood how flagship models affect the sales of mid range stuff?

:P
not really with DH bikes. With Trek's road bikes? Unquestionably yes. But how many people who are buying a hardrock have any idea what a Demo is or who Bearrecloth or Kyle Strait is. Only when you got a super star like Lance does it affect your lower models materially. The only kind of trickle down you're gonna see is when someone who rides a something like a demo or bighit buys a cheap xc hardtail, or a bike for their kid or wife.

how's that for meaningless speculation with very little to no evidence?

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
not really with DH bikes. With Trek's road bikes? Unquestionably yes. But how many people who are buying a hardrock have any idea what a Demo is or who Bearrecloth or Kyle Strait is. Only when you got a super star like Lance does it affect your lower models materially. The only kind of trickle down you're gonna see is when someone who rides a something like a demo or bighit buys a cheap xc hardtail, or a bike for their kid or wife.

2 words-

Sam
Hill

We probably wouldn't sell a single Iron Horse without him, the only reason IH are back in the game is because of him

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
2 words-

Sam
Hill

We probably wouldn't sell a single Iron Horse without him, the only reason IH are back in the game is because of him

you might want to look this term up in a dictionary

"causal relationship"

and no thats not the same as a chick you bang only when drunk

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
No offense to DW, but if SH was on a GT all the groms would be riding those in their 5,10's and ragged elbows.

How many Specialized frames were sold SOLELY AS A RESULT OF SHAUN PALMER? I'd guess it was a truckload more than would've shifted otherwise....

anyway -- -back to the Honda. does it come with V-TEC?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
2 words-

Sam
Hill

Think so? Well I trust you, I've only ever worked in a road shop :'(. And it wasn't a Trek shop so.....whatever. How's NZ these days?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
you might want to look this term up in a dictionary

"causal relationship"

and no thats not the same as a chick you bang only when drunk
Well, it may not be casual, but it definitely doesn't hurt I suppose. Johnny, would you say that people who are buying the lower end trailbikes and cheaper dh/fr stuff know who Hill is? Maybe it's just cause youre by OZ. I dunno though.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Well, it may not be casual, but it definitely doesn't hurt I suppose. Johnny, would you say that people who are buying the lower end trailbikes and cheaper dh/fr stuff know who Hill is? Maybe it's just cause youre by OZ. I dunno though.
The people buying cheaper bikes might not know who Hill is but he is still the reason why shops represent Iron Horse bikes waaaay more than 4 years ago. Sam gave Iron Horse alot more respect than they had at that point and because of that, shops will push the whole brand alot more

NZ's all good btw, weathers been mint so far this winter so still getting heaps of mint riding in :)

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007

Armstrong is for sure an anomaly, someone who transcends their sport (like Gretzky, Pele, Jordan, etc) and having someone like that on your roster is worth the millions it costs. Pros like Bearrecloth, or Strait influence the riders in the know, the ones that keep up to date with developments in biking, and are more likely to buy a high end frame if they see their heroes/riders they respect on them.

The real influence occurs when someone who's not yet totally into biking walks into a store and says they want a bike. They live near the trail system and see guys on Demo9s all the time, so when they're looking at the showroom floor, they see the 'Specialized' decal on the Big Hit and associate it with the advance riders they see all the time. Seeing these riders will not sell them on the Demo line of bikes, but it will sell them on the brand.

It's a trickle down effect on consumer influence.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
definitely looking more like a production unit with the (elimination of the carbon) alu seat mast & molded (plastic?) gearbox case. i can actually see these coming in at a surprisingly reasonable price - could have a significant impact on the dh segment. speculative postulation: could be a really forward thinking move for honda - dwindling land access for motos / enviro concerns --> growth of bikepark development & a shift from motos to dh bikes for off road 2 wheeled entertainment. i imagine the dh bike manufacturing landscape would change considerably if a couple of the other japanese moto manufacturers got on board as well...

Great comment; I wonder how much it would weight fully built with the kit they provide and other top shelf parts. Sub 40? Sub 35 (I doubt) ?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
NZ's all good btw, weathers been mint so far this winter so still getting heaps of mint riding in :)
All mint eh? Solid, well maybe i'll be back in a year or 2 we'll see, hopefully less injured. But probably not ;). You get to ride Hutt and Queenstown much?

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
um, i think the whole 2004 madcatz team really relaunched IH in the race scene, rennie took the world champioship that year too.

sorry for the de/re-rail

dhjapan

Chimp
Jun 9, 2007
A little birdy tells me that something will be happening on the 16th June here in Japan which will get the ball rolling (slowly).

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Shall we run a poll as to the RRP?

Closest to the announced figure (if it comes) gets... to say they were closest to the announced figure.

Based on a framset (frame, rearshock, forks, gearbox+drivetrain).

I'll start the bidding at US$4999

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Shall we run a poll as to the RRP?

Closest to the announced figure (if it comes) gets... to say they were closest to the announced figure.

Based on a framset (frame, rearshock, forks, gearbox+drivetrain).

I'll start the bidding at US$4999
My guess would be $7500 (sans v-tec)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Humm, that'd be great if it is, I wouldn't argue. Considering what a Lahar (although a differnt bike) sells for now, that'd be a price hard to pass up.