Quantcast

How to Illegally-Immigrate to the US

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Oh geez - and a comic book no less for the less-than-literate....:rolleyes:

What's next? A superhighway that has flames to dodge or something along the way for the pretense of it being a scary and bad thing to do?

By Olga R. Rodriguez
ASSOCIATED PRESS

8:29 a.m. January 5, 2005

MONTERREY, Mexico – The Mexican government is distributing a comic-book guide that warns would-be migrants about the perils of crossing illegally into the United States and offers tips to stay safe – enraging some advocates of stricter immigration policies in the United States who argue the booklet encourages illegal migration.

* Migrant guide

About 1.5 million copies of the pocket-size book titled "Guide for the Mexican Immigrant" were published by Mexico's Foreign Relations Department and distributed as a free supplement in comic books popular with adults that are sold throughout the country. The booklets are also available online and at Mexican consulates in the United States.

The comic book's introduction shows an illustration of three men huddling by riverbank bushes accompanied by the statement, "This guide is intended to give you some practical advice that could be of use if you already have made the difficult decision to seek new job opportunities outside your country."

Each year, as would-be migrants start considering a trip north, the Mexican government launches radio or television campaigns to inform them about the risks they'll face along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Advertisement
This year, the Foreign Relations Department decided to add the guide as a way of "trying to provide the information directly" in the would-be migrants' home communities, said Geronimo Gutierrez, the department's deputy secretary for North American affairs. "Once they reach the border, it's very difficult for them to change their minds."

The booklet, which officials began distributing last month, explains the safest way to enter the United States is with a U.S.-issued visa and a Mexican passport. But it also offers tips on avoiding serious injury or death to those who have decided to cross illegally.

On one page appears a colorful drawing of people walking in the desert near power lines, with the hint that, "If you get lost, guide yourself with light poles, train tracks or dirt roads."

"Crossing a river can be very risky, especially if you cross alone and at night," the booklet warns. "Heavy clothing becomes heavier when wet, and this makes swimming or floating difficult."

The book also recommends adding salt to water to avoid dehydration when making desert crossings and notes it is best to walk during times of low heat intensity.

Critics argue the tips serve more as instructions on how to cross illegally than as a deterrent to would-be migrants.

"With this document the Mexican government not only has not instructed its citizens to obey immigration law but, in rich detail, it has supplied a manual on how to circumvent U.S. immigration law," said John Keeley, director of communication for the U.S.-based Center for Immigration Studies, a group that favors stricter immigration policies. "It's very, very troubling."

Editorials in several U.S. papers sharply criticized the comic book. The Arizona Republic called it "an illustrated guide to Mexico's domestic failures" and The Washington Times asked that the U.S. government file an official complaint.

The Mexican government has been criticized often for not doing more to stop the flow of illegal migrants to the United States. But officials say they can do little because while aiding illegal crossings for a fee is a crime, there's no Mexican law stopping migrants from gathering near the northern border.

Every year, hundreds of migrants die in the desert, where temperatures soar above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 Celsius) in summer, and many drown while attempting to cross the Rio Grande. In the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, there were 325 migrant deaths along the entire U.S.-Mexico border, according to the U.S Customs and Border Protection Bureau.

Gutierrez defends the guide as an attempt to save lives and notes the book comes with a disclaimer saying it does not promote undocumented migration. The guide also explains the consequences of entering the United States without the proper documents, he says.

"The Mexican government has an obligation to take all actions possible in order to avoid the loss of lives and that is what we are trying to do in this case," Gutierrez said. Criticism of the book "seems to be the natural reaction of people who are skeptical about the whole immigration debate," he said.

Braulio Munoz, an artisan from western Jalisco state, has tried twice in the past 13 days to cross the U.S. border illegally with his 18-year-old son. He said he hadn't seen the guide but doubted anything would discourage them from attempting a third swim across the Rio Grande.

"In Jalisco there isn't any work," said Munoz, 42. "God willing, we'll make it to the United States – even if they kick us out 15 times."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20050105-0829-mexico-migrationcomic.html

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
TheMontashu said:
There bringing in poverty and they don't pay taxes
Ahhh.

You mean they're. Or if you don't like contractions, they are. Alternatively, you could have just started your sentence with they and changed bringing to bring.

Amazingly, I've met a multitude of immigrants from Mexico who can communicate better than you. You think you deserve to be here just because you won a lottery of birth?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Or alternatively you could start picking your own vegetables and mowing your own lawn.

It's the lazy trying to save a buck in the short term WMA's that give the immigrants cause to come over at all costs. If people didn't hire illegal laborers there would be no problem.

In the mean time I applaud people for wanting a better life and risking death to get it. On top of that most of them work harder than you or I ever will and are more appreciative in return. All the money you think we're losing in taxes we're saving right back in reduced cost for goods produced or handled by illegals.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
TheMontashu said:
We need to stop the mexicans from getting in at all costs
No, I like having my lawn freshly cut every week :)

The Ito

Oh and I'll insert the "our country was founded on immigrants" argument here as well. Is there still no room for the American dream in this country!?!?!?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
TheMontashu said:
There bringing in poverty and they don't pay taxes
Ignoring the fact you really need a pool of cheap labour? If you go to, say for example Menlo Park (Silicon Valley), nearly every cafe, pizza place, restaurant and bar is crying out for labour. Of course everyone who lives there appart form the Mexicans are too highly paid to do tis work any more, and all the mexicans ARE cutting lawns cos the money's pretty good. If you're not careful you'll end up like sloan square in London and everyone will move away because you can't get a cup of coffee or any food any more.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
priceseliger14 said:
yeah... nice lawns, clean clothes, clean houses...!!! mmmm i love mexicans!!! let em all in!!!

Not to mention all the spanish speaking hotties on cable tv...

Muy caliente!
:drool:

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
wow. pretty harsh. I say, make them all legal workers. Naturalized citizens. Then what would be the advantage of hiring them if you can't get it cheap and under the table. Turn the border into a "sign in to be legal" checkpoint. American companies have to pay everyone the same, so they hire who is qualified. And the people who were mowing lawns can still do it (because the american folks will still think its beneath them) but now they get social security and maybe insurance, and all that good stuff. And maybe minimum wage to boot.

Because they're obviously not earning any of your guys' respect the way it is now. Sounds like if some of you mowed your own lawn even once in a while it might build some much needed character.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
clancy98 said:
Sounds like if some of you mowed your own lawn even once in a while it might build some much needed character.
nope... i think i will have them do it for me. it is much easier and so i can have more coffee in the morning and let them take care of it.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
It's a BIG mistake for the Mexican gov't to get involved with this. I wouldn't be surprised if this comes back to bite them in the ass.

Newsflash Montashu: Immigrants do not steal American jobs, evade taxes, and breathe all our air. Every job that I've seen an immigrant hold and maintain (and do it with a great work ethic) is something that your typical American worker wouldn't do, arguably a job that they consider themselves above. If your American employer is a lawful one, immigrants pay taxes in the form of social security, medicare, and sdi if you're in CA. There's more than enough air to go around for everyone.

I've seen firsthand in the CA central valley, an ag economy would virtually die without the labor of legal and illegal immigrants. I couldn't do the work they do, it's tougher than any work I've ever had to do.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
reflux said:
Newsflash Montashu: Immigrants do not steal American jobs, evade taxes, and breathe all our air. Every job that I've seen an immigrant hold and maintain (and do it with a great work ethic) is something that your typical American worker wouldn't do, arguably a job that they consider themselves above. If your American employer is a lawful one, immigrants pay taxes in the form of social security, medicare, and sdi if you're in CA. There's more than enough air to go around for everyone.
Its the not paying into schools, roads and stuff like that is what i conseder stealing

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
They buy stuff, which has taxes added too it, which pays for that roads, schools and stuff like that.

So, More people buying stuff=more taxes=NOT STEALING

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Not true.

They pay as much as I do...........

I don't have a job. If I do work for someone, I don't have any taxes on what I make.

So I guess I'm a mexican....:think:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I just met a really cool Mexican guy up at the local mountain today. He also happened to speak English better the Montashu can type... :think:

Most all the little/dirty jobs in this country are mexicans/other immigrants. What do they ask in return? To live in our country. It sounds fair to me.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
its fair. They get a job that no one else wants such as a custodian(sp?) or lawnmower, maid...etc. and they can live here, and they also receive a SMALL payment, they arn't taking anything from most americans unless you really really want to be a maid.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
montashu do oyu even live anywhere near the mexican border? i live about 45 min from it and i kno that we have tons of them here but i dont mind because i know that they're doing work that i would never do. you gotta respect these guys man. they risk their lives to come over here just to have a lil money for their families. and when they get here they're greeted by ignorant inconsiderate bastards like you

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
TheMontashu said:
It's not and that is why the gun laws in CA do NOTHING
Montashu, I don't think I've seen one useful piece of information come out of that keyboard of yours, ever. All the points you have tried to make are moot, or just don’t make any sense at all. You are a truly ignorant person. If you actually looked around you, you would see that without the illegal immigrants in California our economy practically wouldn't exist. 99% of the posts you make are hardly even comprehendible. Now if you would please remove your head from your anus...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
konabiker said:
Montashu, I don't think I've seen one useful piece of information come out of that keyboard of yours, ever. All the points you have tried to make are moot, or just don’t make any sense at all. You are a truly ignorant person. If you actually looked around you, you would see that without the illegal immigrants in California our economy practically wouldn't exist. 99% of the posts you make are hardly even comprehendible. Now if you would please remove your head from your anus...
I don't think 99% of the economy int his state is based on fruit, 2nd if the economy is based on something illegal then maybe we need to change it. Wate! an illegal economy sounds like Columbia. I don't have any problem paying say even twice as much for an apple if it has been grown and picked by an ENGLISH speaker

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Now they have to speak English too?

You do realize that you may have never eaten an apple that was both grown and picked by on Anglophones, right?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Silver said:
Now they have to speak English too?

You do realize that you may have never eaten an apple that was both grown and picked by on Anglophones, right?
Yes, and it's sad that they can't learn english in an ENGLISH speaking country

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
TheMontashu said:
I don't have any problem paying say even twice as much for an apple if it has been grown and picked by an ENGLISH speaker

That's it, I am going sell some apples and have a sticker on that says

"picked by people who speak english"

I will make MILLONS :p

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
Yes, and it's sad that they can't learn english in an ENGLISH speaking country
Let me tell you a story about speaking English:

I was in a 7-11 in Reno when this guy, who I assume was Mexican, had difficulty communicating with the clerk, a white dude, who did not speak Spanish.

When he finally finished the transaction and left the store, the clerk shook his head and said to me, "I hate people who can't speak English". Keeping in mind I am Chinese-American, I responded,

"How do you know I speak English?"

We can have a long discussion about illegal immigration, but being a born-and-bred American does not make us better than immigrants. There are Asians, Indians, Pakistanis, and Latinos who do the crappy jobs Americans are unwilling to do but are very necessary. My grandmother spoke very little English and worked in a sweatshop to support her family.

Keep that in mind as you type away on the computer your parents bought you in that suburban home you did not pay for.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
IF your life sucks come here I DO NOT CARE but learn the language. Would you move to france and expect to get by cause of the government if you didn't speek french?