Quantcast

How would you grow a Ridemonkey?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Maybe, the BMX and DJ forum should be Dirt Jumping, Urban Assault, and BMX. After all, this is a mtb site, and the bmx should be at the end.

Or, maybe split those 3 into more than one forum.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Oh, and another thing: By gathering reputation anonymously you are opening up new users to even more cowardly ridicule and degradation than they already get on the board.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
OGRipper said:
Oh, and another thing: By gathering reputation anonymously you are opening up new users to even more cowardly ridicule and degradation than they already get on the board.
Like that one poor dude who got slammed into red with one post.... yeah, he'll be back.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
N8 said:
Like that one poor dude who got slammed into red with one post.... yeah, he'll be back.
for some hate spewers, that's all it takes is one post.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
Haha.. That poor guy, I'm almost ashamed that I contributed to that - but you gotta admit, it was a particularly bad first post :p - at least I didn't insult his intelligence, just stated that it was a poor first post ;)

I think the reputation should come attached with the username. That would cause less straight-out bashing and more constructive feedback. Might help keep users in check.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
binary visions said:
[>8]I think the reputation should come attached with the username. That would cause less straight-out bashing and more constructive feedback. Might help keep users in check.[/8<]
I was thinking that too. :stupid:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
binary visions said:
It could be used for writeups on mechanical tutorials as well (how to change your fork oil, etc.)

:stupid:

This along with users suggestions and experiences could outshine MTBR's reviews forum. You'll still get your internet meatballs saying they tacoed a Saint crank on a 4 foot to tranny, but if I end up with a component a year/few years old, RM could be the MTB encyclopedia for repairs.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Hire a full time(good) photographer to travel around the US/world. Contact local bike shops and ask them to take him on rides. He will talk about ridemonkey to everyone he meets. They will go to ridemonkey to see the photos. Ridemonkey members will be interested in following his travels, various riding and welcome him in when he gets to their town

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BAH said:
Hire a full time(good) photographer to travel around the US/world. Contact local bike shops and ask them to take him on rides. He will talk about ridemonkey to everyone he meets. They will go to ridemonkey to see the photos. Ridemonkey members will be interested in following his travels, various riding and welcome him in when he gets to their town
is that a cover letter? :)

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Add "my Ridemonkey" to the homepage.
I can see where reps are headed, so keep with them.
While too many forums can dilute, don't be afraid to add a new one if there seems to be a need (like adding a general biking lounge to the existing lounge, etc..)
Cragmonkey.com

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Reviews, host videos...

One thing is you've gotta have some way for all these things to flow together. The forums are probably the most frequented section of the site, correct? Most people will just go straight for them. If you can integrate video and picture hosting into the forums somehow (and make them easily accessible directly from the forum), it'd be money.

Perhaps a revamped main page with all that stuff? Sort of a personalized thing?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I like the 'how to' idea for technical discussions, riding technique, etc.

Someone mentioned the product review thing earlier but if you read through some of the stuff on MTBR, you'll realize what a mess that can really be. Years ago they had shop/online retailer reviews as well and that became a disaster pretty quickly.

I'd like to see live (or close to it) reports/results from major races since no one on the internet can seem to pull that off, I'm not sure how that would work. Canadiancyclist.com comes close but they obviously show more of the Canadian riders & events. Maybe with the global membership here there would be a chance of having someone at the race that can volunteer to send in a report of say all the events going on at a World Cup or Norba.

The merchandise has always gone over well (beer glasses, jerseys, stickers, etc) so maybe a dedicated store should be put together. A lot of work I know but might be worth it. I've got some ideas for other items I think would be well received. In the long run it may help growth by getting the name out there a little more.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Video hosting would be nice, but rather expensive I think.

And a question, how many paying members are there on RideMonkey?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Maybe put back the little thread status icons the were there this morning?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
robdamanii said:
Maybe split the lounge into the bike related stuff and a plain old off topic forum as a solution?
yea, that could work.

Or just leave the lounge as an off-topic forum, but expand The Shop forums... perhaps add forums for suspension, drivetrain, wheels/tires... that sort of thing.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Hey RM... are there any portal-like add-ons for vbulletin that aren't a huge PITA? I'd love to be able to use the new threads link, but only have it quey forums that I'm interested in. For example... all the regional forums besides the northeast are of no interest to me... downhill, mudhunnies, 29ers, ss, etc I don't pay any attention to.

If the new posts link was more "relevant", I'd use it more often.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
narlus said:
we've got forums for:

road
xc/cyclo-x
dh
freeride
trials

edit - and i forgot dirt jump and the newly minted 29er forums.

i find it hard to believe that the sort of post you described couldn't find a home in one of them.

And there's a lot of "dude this post sucks" kind of crap. Really, if you don't like it or don't want to read it, then don't. Shut your mouth and just move on. Be the bigger man.

fact is, we've got no shortage of specific forums, just not many people who use them; let's not add another bike-related forum.
Dude, the point is there is no general bike forum. The lounge is not a bike forum.

Sometimes I don't want to sift through a lot of verbal diarrhea to read about something I came here to read about: bikes and things related to that.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Get rid of this stupid high school bull**** rating system
Make a video forum
Make the lounge for off-topic only and a Passion-like forum for general bike related discussion (that doesn't necessarily fall into sub-categories)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
we've got forums for:

road
xc/cyclo-x
dh
freeride
trials

edit - and i forgot dirt jump and the newly minted 29er forums.

i find it hard to believe that the sort of post you described couldn't find a home in one of them.

fact is, we've got no shortage of specific forums, just not many people who use them; let's not add another bike-related forum.
true... but some things are more general than that... bigger, if you will, than any one category.

I think the biking forums need to be condenced a bit, and the shop forums need to be expanded.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stay on topic folks...

Move the sidebar ads (I don't much care where they go... I chose not to pay, so I don't mind dealing with them)... use that space instead for news... either a random story, a list of headlines/opening sentances, whatever... but find a way to integrate the news with the forums.

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
OGRipper said:
I think an unedited press release forum would be great. Props to head monkey for wanting to save us from the ad speak, but there are lots of sites that just print them without editing. Plus, press releases will generate related threads anyway, so there will be plenty of e-speculation and people explaining the BS to those who can't figure it out themselves.
i agree with this! i dont know what sort of legal BS that you'd have to deal with (if any), but the raw material from the manufacturers and other folk would keep a lot of us interested i think. and like Ripper says, it'll get people talking and people in the industry that poke around the board can help answer questions, etc. this would be a pretty good way of getting some more "news" type stuff onto the board without too much extra work.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I agree with a place to put videos and getting rid of person rating, but i also think the buy and sell should be more organized, old thread that have not been bump for some time should be deleted, and under components have smaller categories such as components--drive-train-stem/handlebars/-pedals-saddle/seat-post, and so on and for suspension have it front and back as the two sub categories, this will make shopping of peoples gear much easier.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
#1. Content, content, content.

Since these forums are predominantly comprised of user-driven content, promoting useful, entertaining, interesting content is key.

Something like a video/photo forum would be inexpensive (bandwidth is CHEAP) but you would have to ask yourself whether folks would be able or willing to post up interesting content.

Streamlining forum structure so that it encourages content while at the same time it doesn't get too fragmented is a good thing, but very challenging.

#2. Promotion/Marketing

You can spam other more popular boards (after all, that's how Adam got it off of the ground) or...have superior content and by virtue of all of the multi-forum surfer types the word will spread.

#3. Police state.

Many folks are intimidated by the level of smack talk/e-thugging/leg humping that occurs on seasoned boards where a core group of people are responsible for most of the posts. Cliquey banter can be confused with a hostile forum environment and "sensitive" types can be unwilling to jump in for fear of getting dog-piled by the local yokels.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Create a feature that can restrict certain users to posting in certain forums.

Or would it be easier to just ban the people who constantly need to be moderated and can't follow even the simplest instructions?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Also, a review section would be great. Having a forum "group" where there are sub-forums for drivetrain, suspension, etc. and where it then gets broken into handlebars, forks, etc. for reviews to be posted in.

I love the fact that everything is forum-based. Like the buy and sell. Keep everything the same format, it's great.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
BINGO on the content. People here share good bits of info. I would say that the site is pretty good, news is not important to me (N8 just spams the place up), an imageshack uploader-bar-thingy would be sweet but is not necessary, perhaps the forums could be streamlined a bit.

Like:
Support
Buy/sell (with bad sellers in the b/s forum)
general (biking related)
OT
ride reports
downhill
freeride / urban
road
SS
Beer
beginners
Tech Q&A / Projects and builds
regional
international
politics / N8 spam / news

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
the search funtion works off of finding and highliteing the words you qureryed (sp) in threads. however some treads are many pages long (like the burly hardtail thread) the ablity to go to the posts with highlited words would be great.

also the use of the lounge is kinda mixed as mentioned with bike related and Non bike related content, perhaps two lounges one bike, one non bike.