Quantcast

I saw Prince last night and it was a big disappoinment

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Zebrahead have a few different sounds, they are multi-talented. They can do rap-rock pretty well and they can also just rock. I Think they are all right but nothing earth shaking. Most bands have free .MP3's on their websites or on fansites, check 'em out. GOOGLE is amazing!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
:D :thumb:

So you are, in fact, in a position to confirm wether or not those bands sound like a combination of Blink182 and Greenday ;)
Face to Face is a 'punk' band...I put the quotes there to indicate whether or not that is the correct term for their music...not like REAL (for lack of a better word) punk as in your Sex Pistols/Suicidal/Ramones type, that's what I see as punk, but I've never been much into punk...but they don't sound like Green Day or Blink 182, yet more punk than Green Day and Blink...go figure...I'm thinking it's like todays version of punk...but not super hardcore...but not blinkish/greendayish...

Pennywise is BAD ASS...again...they sound nothing like Green Day or Blink 182 OR Suicidal or SP...

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
:D :thumb:

So you are, in fact, in a position to confirm wether or not those bands sound like a combination of Blink182 and Greenday ;)
no

The Streets and Dizzee rascal: British rap stuff

Zebrahead: read above

Pennywise, Flip Nixon, and Face to Face: punk, not like blink182 really though

Ill Mitch: GO DOWNLOAD SOME NOW!!! he is russian, funniest thing ever

Yellowcard: Ok, kind of like blink 182, but I still like them.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
As rad and influential as PW have been, I think they have become stagnant over the last 3 or so albums. Overall their contribution to the modern "punk" scene is very large indeed. I understand how people can label most pop-punk as Green Day or Blink 182 like, Modern punk is way more poppy than the original form of punk. We started with (in roughly chronological order era wise) bands like the Kinks/Iggy Pop & the Stooges/Sex Pistols/The Clash/Bad Brains/Minor Threat/Gang of Four/Misfits/Adolescents/Black Flag/Bad Religion/T.S.O.L. etc, then there were bands like Descendants/Screeching Weasel/The Offspring/Operation Ivy/Pennywise/Rancid/Fugazi/ from there, punk sort of split into either Indie, Pop, Thrash, or various other sub-genres. The poppy bands being of course Green-Day, Blink 182, Lagwagon, Face to Face, Unwritten Law, NOFX, No Use For A Name, Pulley, Millencolin, (all big influences during my formative years) the list goes on and on and unfortunately has led to things like Good Charolette, A New Found Glory, A Simple Plan, Yellowcard (the best of the worst). Not very cool IMHO. I tend to like the Indie variety best but nothing beats good old fashioned punk rock! I guess what's his name was right, I'm just getting old...Anyway, anybody heard of Idlewild? they are a Scottish Indie band with some great lyrics, really good stuff overall. Does this qualify me as MMike super Gnar-Core?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Prince is a Jehovah Witness now, some girlyfriends i have went to see him last year and he was spewing all kinds of Jehovah crap to the audience. Can you imagine that, you slam the door on them and the Mormons all day long, then you get suckered into paying 30 bucks to see one on preach on the stage! hahahaha.

Prince is above pop, he is a music genious, i don't listen to his stuff, but the first albums he did as a teenager, he wrote every song, played every instrument.... The dude has written and copywrit probably hundreds of thousands of songs. Probably the stuff he never releases is the best stuff.

One of the best dance songs ever, "Erotic City".:devil:

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Originally posted by punkassean
As rad and influential as PW have been, I think they have become stagnant over the last 3 or so albums. Overall their contribution to the modern "punk" scene is very large indeed. I understand how people can label most pop-punk as Green Day or Blink 182 like, Modern punk is way more poppy than the original form of punk. We started with (in roughly chronological order era wise) bands like the Kinks/Iggy Pop & the Stooges/Sex Pistols/The Clash/Bad Brains/Minor Threat/Gang of Four/Misfits/Adolescents/Black Flag/Bad Religion/T.S.O.L. etc, then there were bands like Descendants/Screeching Weasel/The Offspring/Operation Ivy/Pennywise/Rancid/Fugazi/ from there, punk sort of split into either Indie, Pop, Thrash, or various other sub-genres. The poppy bands being of course Green-Day, Blink 182, Lagwagon, Face to Face, Unwritten Law, NOFX, No Use For A Name, Pulley, Millencolin, (all big influences during my formative years) the list goes on and on and unfortunately has led to things like Good Charolette, A New Found Glory, A Simple Plan, Yellowcard (the best of the worst). Not very cool IMHO. I tend to like the Indie variety best but nothing beats good old fashioned punk rock! I guess what's his name was right, I'm just getting old...Anyway, anybody heard of Idlewild? they are a Scottish Indie band with some great lyrics, really good stuff overall. Does this qualify me as MMike super Gnar-Core?
Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, New Found Glory all disgust me. I actually like yellowcard though. I like Unwritten law a lot too. I actually dont care much for the really punk stuff, I guess that makes me not hardcore or whatever, but I like the music.

In my youth I havent heard much prince, so I dont have much non hijacking content to add to this thread.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
T-Pirate,

you and your whole crew are definitely hard core. Especially considering your age! Keep up the good work...RESPECT! that's all you need to remember.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Originally posted by dh girlie
I just drive in silence these days...music is in a sad sad state right now...
Silence? Hardly. I know you're listening to Dr. Laura everyday while driving around and thinking to yerself, "damn I could be doing this dumb advice-giving bitch's job"

BTW, did I read some posts ripping you a new one for getting old? Hahaha, welcome to my world. Ain't payback a bitch? :devil:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by Skookum
Prince is a Jehovah Witness now, some girlyfriends i have went to see him last year and he was spewing all kinds of Jehovah crap to the audience. Can you imagine that, you slam the door on them and the Mormons all day long, then you get suckered into paying 30 bucks to see one on preach on the stage! hahahaha.

Prince is above pop, he is a music genious, i don't listen to his stuff, but the first albums he did as a teenager, he wrote every song, played every instrument.... The dude has written and copywrit probably hundreds of thousands of songs. Probably the stuff he never releases is the best stuff.

One of the best dance songs ever, "Erotic City".:devil:
That's hysterical...but, uhhh...it was a LOT more than 30 bucks unfortunately...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by cliffster5
Silence? Hardly. I know you're listening to Dr. Laura everyday while driving around and thinking to yerself, "damn I could be doing this dumb advice-giving bitch's job"

BTW, did I read some posts ripping you a new one for getting old? Hahaha, welcome to my world. Ain't payback a bitch? :devil:
Oh grandma, I'm the first one to say I'm getting old...don't flatter yourself...I'll always be 10 years younger than you...or is it 11?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
You forgot the New York Hardcore types; Agnostic Front/Cro-Mags/Warzone/Sick of It All.

Originally posted by punkassean

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I haven't lived in NJ/NY since '87 so I did kinda forget to mention anything less than Minor Threat, and I was sort of skimming some more recognizable names people might know of already. The NY HC scene was/is a big part of it, can't forget H2O/Saves The Day/Thursday, etc...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
You wanna talk about a blast from the past ... Mission of Burma played a free show here three weeks ago as part of a big festival. They still sounded really good for dudes in their forties.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
They played out here like a month ago. They do still rock! It seems like all the oldie but goodies are playing shows right now, like the pixies re-union/cure/beastieboys etc...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Yeah, and the Misfits are still touring, oh wait ... they sound like crap without Danzig. Nevermind.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
And don't forget the artist we once referred to as Prince and then temporarily called him by a symbol thingy and then returned to calling him Prince again, or whatever the F-ck his name is. But I know this chic who went to his show and said it sucked! She should have gone to see the Pixies instead.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by dh girlie
I think a lot of people hang onto the old bands they used to listen to cuz there isn't anything new coming out that is worth a crap...since I'm sick of all my cd's and haven't bought anything new...and the radio sucks...I just drive in silence these days...music is in a sad sad state right now...
i am sorry but that is the biggest copout of all time

there is great music being made all over the place, except possibly for 1975. open yr eyes. turn off the radio and tv. they are not where worthwhile music comes from