Quantcast

I'm liking the new IH type6 proto

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
sayndesyn said:
Is it supposed to be a Sea Otter type of courses race bike? Or a slopestyle rig? Or a Frankenstein do everything and make you the coffee in the morning frame?
no i think you will see more people wanting to buy a lighter quicker
less travel dh sled to race. a race dh bike IMO is not a comfort ride
that you can do 12 lift runs on and not be sore. it is what gets you
to the bottom fastest. that is what i see in this bike. a race frame.

hey DW what is the leverage ratio? and bb height?

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
True... I can see it being used at Willingen or Sea Otter or something similiar, but I can't imagine that it would be quicker on alot of the tracks I've been on lately. It would be a cool addition to the lineup no doubt. The DW bikes pedal well enough that it would be a sweet bike for around my area where there aren't any lifts, but there is lots of dh runs off the backside of logging roads.

bcd said:

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
word, that looks dope! I'm with Sayndesyn, lots of unshuttlable DH in this area too.....

I agree BCD I'm diggin it!

geo?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
sayndesyn said:
True... I can see it being used at Willingen or Sea Otter or something similiar, but I can't imagine that it would be quicker on alot of the tracks I've been on lately. It would be a cool addition to the lineup no doubt. The DW bikes pedal well enough that it would be a sweet bike for around my area where there aren't any lifts, but there is lots of dh runs off the backside of logging roads.
kovarik at germany WC ran SC travis and 6-7 in the rear.
some of that track look ruff to me.

seem there are more and more SC dh worth fork out there.

we shall see.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
This bike is called the Type 6-SSO, a variant on the Type 6 all 6 inch travel all-mountain prototype that Iron Horse developed starting in 2004. We built this frame and 2 others exactly like it for the Sea Otter 2005 (yes, 2005, 1 year and 3 months ago) Its Sea Otter debut in 05 was postponed becuase of a shipping problem (the bike literally got lost in the mail) Rock Shox Blackbox had built a custom 6" air boxxer for Sam for it, that fork eventuially went to Rennie that weekend when the Type 6 SSO was a no-show.

It was designed as a short travel, lightweight DH bike. It has 6" of travel, identical ergonomics to a Sunday, but has over an inch lower BB height and bar height.

A black version of this bike was shown at Interbike 2005 in the Iron Horse booth. Weight is in the low 30s with DH tires.

The bike is incredible to ride, it corners like it is seriously on rails, and accelerates like a rocket. I dont think it is going to be a production bike anytime soon, but I guess if Iron Horse gets a slew of e-mails you never know...

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
bcd said:

Its definitely a pure race frame. Sam is going to race Super-D on it I think. Average Leverage rate is 2.4, lev rate curve is secret. BB height, I don t remember off the top of my head but its in the 12s.

Dave

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
bcd said:
kovarik at germany WC ran SC travis and 6-7 in the rear.
some of that track look ruff to me.

seem there are more and more SC dh worth fork out there.

we shall see.
The track at Willingen looks pretty rough on film but its not rough in terms of technical rocky/rooty sections.
Sure theres big rocks but not really rockgarden like, the upperlayer of the track is pretty flat compared to other tracks.
I think thats why torsional stiffnes and amount of travel arent a big issue on a track like that.
I personally dont mind the extra travel of my v10 and 8" fox on big jumps and gaps like the ones in Willingen, but offcourse Im no Kovarik or Hannah...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
OGRipper said:
Looks like lots of fun for sure. How does it compare to the 7 Point in terms of weight, geo, etc.?
Lighter, lower, slacker. Its geometry is basically the same as a Sunday, its just lower to the ground. It also has a hair shorter rear end than a Sunday, in order to make it feel the same ergonomically. The idea is that Sam can get off his Sunday and get onto this bike and feel minimal difference as far as ergonomics go.

Dave

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dw said:
Lighter, lower, slacker. Its geometry is basically the same as a Sunday, its just lower to the ground. It also has a hair shorter rear end than a Sunday, in order to make it feel the same ergonomically. The idea is that Sam can get off his Sunday and get onto this bike and feel minimal difference as far as ergonomics go.

Dave
Sweetness. That thing must rip.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I mean, 6 + 6 doesn't make for a very forgiving bike. Most of us hacks would probably be faster on a sled with some extra travel and weight, but I can see how it would have its advantages at the elite level on certain courses.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
bring back the supermonster & 3" gazzas :D - hehe.. wait, scratch that ... this thing is sweet.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Sam raced Super D on a lark. His wheels were delayed in shipping so he didn't get any practice. Took 5th place against some XC pros w/ a crash...on flat pedals w/ a 36T ring and 11/23T cassette! Same rawks!

-ska todd

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
DW, are you using solidworks to design most of your suspension bikes? I think response to this frame going into production would be positive (sadly with less racy geo) judging by the popularity of nomad and reign type bikes.

edit: do i see a maxle too?! :)

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
ska todd said:
Sam raced Super D on a lark. His wheels were delayed in shipping so he didn't get any practice. Took 5th place against some XC pros w/ a crash...on flat pedals w/ a 36T ring and 11/23T cassette! Same rawks!

-ska todd
Huh? is that a bird that runs downhill for racers?

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
that frame looks nice! from littermag.com "Dave Smutok won semi-pro (slalom) on a prototype ironhorse Type 6 he borrowed from dave weagle" What's the story behind this? Is Smutok no longer with Sinister? either way it's good to see him back riding again.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
ufdff15 said:
that frame looks nice! from littermag.com "Dave Smutok won semi-pro (slalom) on a prototype ironhorse Type 6 he borrowed from dave weagle" What's the story behind this? Is Smutok no longer with Sinister? either way it's good to see him back riding again.
nope :(
while frank is a great guy he just cant afford to pay smutok what he deserved (or so i hear)

he was riding a baby blue iron horse sunday at the us open.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
holy christ finally some hot pictures of this bike...I would do anything to have that set up...I dont race much but i do love smaller travel nimble bikes...I think iron horse would have trouble keeping that frame in stock. I just ordered a bottlerocket but if this frame was out it would be a no brainer...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
sayndesyn said:
Is it supposed to be a Sea Otter type of courses race bike? Or a slopestyle rig? Or a Frankenstein do everything and make you the coffee in the morning frame?
race bike but they should build it as what you described a slopestyle/do everything bike...

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I got a chance to check this bike out/bounce it up and down at norba, its pretty freakin sweet. I want one.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
YES! Don't change a thing on that frame and I will buy TWO! I love riding my large Enduro SX slalom bike w/the 6" coil fork, and that thing looks to be pretty much the same, but without chainstays made of cheese. Produce that thing SOON!

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
So Dave how does this compare to the upcoming 6 point? It sounds like the geometry is pretty much the same as a Sunday so would be considerably different than the 6 point...but I figured I'd ask.

Will this thing climb well? How would it do on say the Mt. Snow Super D course?

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
that bike looks ILL.

but, for mass production, I would think to raise up the BB a bit -
bb 'height in the 12's' might be super for Sam Hill, but for normal people, it would be way too low

-MV

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i got to take one for a few runs at the Us Open and it was pretty nuts. It had a long stem, a fox36, and a DRS on it and all but it was so quick and tracked amazing. I seriously think with a 7" fork on that thing I would be quicker on that than on my DH bike on 75% of most courses. It was so fun on the flatter upper trails at Diablo. Cant wait to see what comes of it.

wyrm

Chimp
Sep 16, 2005
Utah
DW.... Looking for more info on the bike.... What are the measurements on the bike? Head angle? Seat angle? Wheel base length? Chain stay length? Also most importantly what fork was the bike built around? Meaning the AC height?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
wyrm said:
DW.... Looking for more info on the bike.... What are the measurements on the bike? Head angle? Seat angle? Wheel base length? Chain stay length? Also most importantly what fork was the bike built around? Meaning the AC height?

It is pretty obvious that this bike is built around either a lightweight dh dual crown like the boxxer wc, or the new crop of 7ish inch single crown forks from rs and fox (6 inch). You could prob build it with alot of different options and be happy. But like dw said, this bike wont see production very soon so i doubt there is alot of information on it.