Quantcast

Intense 29er DH bike

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
All the guys on the newer 5 and 6" 29ers proclaiming how good they are for "downhill", only come to find out they're talking about Downieville and other semi-downhill mostly non-tech stuff.

So basically wider turns, slopes not as steep, not as many drops/jumps.
yep. 29er DH = stooopid

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Id try it, bigger wheels ride over rocks easier, when is the last time a skateboard made it over a piece of gravel, it is a great idea i think, i do disagree with the rear hub still being a 135/150. Taller distance should have a wider hub.
You really should ask Mommy and Daddy for permission to use the computer before posting such idiocy.

The "taller distance" is negligible. I realize Bench Racers like you hear 29er and think there's a 3" difference but the real difference is much smaller because 29" refers to wheel + tire whereas 26" refers to rim. Add the 26" tire to the rim and the difference shrinks. It's about 1.25" to 1.5" overall height difference. Divide that in half to get the triangulation factor relevant to hub width for wheel building. The difference is negligible.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I know of two WC level riders (one of them just a WC competitor, one having posted a top 10) who have been saying for quite a while that they want a 29er dh bike. They are both big guys though, one 6'2" and one is 6'7".
i can see the concept as viable for bigger riders for sure. big guys make 26" wheels look like 24s under the more normally proportioned. if chassis size isn't a hindrance (my old large v10 was close to 48" w/b, and was never an problem in the tighter stuff), i have no doubt that a big rider could be faster on a big wheel bike. cool to see someone like intense dabbling with the concept. alex morgan should be stoked.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I don't think 29er DH bikes will ever be mainstream or all that popular, on the other hand maybe people will "design" DH runs for them, as plenty of people around here have seemed to design trails for 29er hardtails. 650b on the other hand....that could replace everything 26" IMO.
Agreed. I would love to have a 26" 951, but 29" DH bikes just seem like change for the sake of change to me and yet another sizing standard for companies and shops to deal with. To each their own, not saying I could do any better.

Reminds me of how I feel about singlespeeds. I think a variable-mechanical advantage system is an awesome thing and one of the coolest aspects of a bike, why willingly impose restrictions?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
You really should ask Mommy and Daddy for permission to use the computer before posting such idiocy.

The "taller distance" is negligible. I realize Bench Racers like you hear 29er and think there's a 3" difference but the real difference is much smaller because 29" refers to wheel + tire whereas 26" refers to rim. Add the 26" tire to the rim and the difference shrinks. It's about 1.25" to 1.5" overall height difference. Divide that in half to get the triangulation factor relevant to hub width for wheel building. The difference is negligible.
Ah lose the hostility man, it's not necessary. 26" refers to rim + tyre anyway (standardised with a 2.0" tyre IIRC). Not sure what tyre size 29" is standardised with but I'd guess it's a similar one, so yes there is going to be a legitimate 1.5" difference in wheel radius for comparable tyre sizes.

For those of you who don't like it, don't buy one. Nobody's saying it's a substitute for existing bikes, it's just testing out new stuff. Full credit to Intense for trying it anyway, if it flops or is unviable they'll drop it and move on eventually.

connor

Chimp
Mar 7, 2008
I want to see back-to-back runs by JD and him be significantly faster on the 29er to shut everybody up.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Ah lose the hostility man, it's not necessary. 26" refers to rim + tyre anyway (standardised with a 2.0" tyre IIRC). Not sure what tyre size 29" is standardised with but I'd guess it's a similar one, so yes there is going to be a legitimate 1.5" difference in wheel radius for comparable tyre sizes.

For those of you who don't like it, don't buy one. Nobody's saying it's a substitute for existing bikes, it's just testing out new stuff. Full credit to Intense for trying it anyway, if it flops or is unviable they'll drop it and move on eventually.
Well said, I never thought a 29er DH bike would get people so up in arms. Nobody said the 29er monster was going to come in the middle of the night and steal everyone's 26" wheels and replace them with horrible 29" wheels.

I'm not old enough to know but I'm sure people were equally as heated about change when bikes started having disc brakes, more than 4" of travel or slacker than 70 degree frames.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

I hope one day you overcome your anger problems, it will really help you in life. Where are your results from this year, i won overall in my class and undefeated in slalom. Maybe you are the benchracer

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I hope one day you overcome your anger problems, it will really help you in life. Where are your results from this year, i won overall in my class and undefeated in slalom. Maybe you are the benchracer
But over all, you have no class. :p

I think the bike looks good. 29er for DH I don't know. I find it cool that it is being built to see if it works good/bad.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I want to see back-to-back runs by JD and him be significantly faster on the 29er to shut everybody up.
Its entirely dependent on the trail. It wouldn't prove anything (to me, or anyone with an education) unless he was consistantly faster on the bike after doing the same test on a variety of different trails in widespread locations. I know someone who has done this test with 29 and 26 xc bikes and had the 29er be slower every time, but I take it with a grain of salt because I know it was carried out in one location. Anyone who has actually pedaled 29er bikes knows that steeper angles handle like 26s that are 2-3* slacker. What you would do with a 64.5* 29er with a 48" wheelbase besides be slow as **** accelerating and losing speed in tight turns is beyond me. A back-to-back test in so-cal would mean as much to me as this bike does now, nothing. A scientific test carried out over the course of a year on a variety of trails and locations with the 29er being consistantly faster would be much more feasible.

Then I could look at the bike for 3 years while the rim, tire, and suspension manufacturers catch up.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Well said, I never thought a 29er DH bike would get people so up in arms. Nobody said the 29er monster was going to come in the middle of the night and steal everyone's 26" wheels and replace them with horrible 29" wheels.

I'm not old enough to know but I'm sure people were equally as heated about change when bikes started having disc brakes, more than 4" of travel or slacker than 70 degree frames.
Oh you should have seen the uproar back when people were experimenting with 2.5" tires!
If the bike business innovation were driven by the forums, we would all still be riding modified beach cruisers down Mt. Tam.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
More idiocracy for all of you, on a 24" bmx they use a 110 rear hub with a 24 inch rim. A generic mtb uses a 135 for a 26, downhill 150. The roughest wheel set it is the one with the widest hub compared to rim. You would not use a 26 inch rim on a bmx rear hub. (and thats only 1 inch smaller) So y would you necessarily use a 29 on a 150 (unless you feel a 135 wheel is fine for DH)

Not sure if this is the correct way to measure this so feel free to chime in
24/110 is .22
26/110 is .24
26/135 is .19
26/150 is .17
29/135 is .21
29/150 is .19

All decimals are rounded***

A generic DH wheel right now has a ___ of .17(the stiffest)
A Generick 29er wheel right now has a ___ of .19-the same as a generic DJ/XC wheel. (although most 135 singlespeed hubs[drivers] have wider flanges)

Not sure how much it matters but it is not as stiff as a current DH wheel.
Correct on this thinking?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
29er wheels need larger flange hub and taller rims which will keep the spokes as short as possible. which will be less likely to taco or what not.

id def throw a leg over a 29er DH bike, why not? man im sure all your girlfriends hate you for not willing to trying something new :rofl:

dennis

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
More idiocracy for all of you, on a 24" bmx they use a 110 rear hub with a 24 inch rim. A generic mtb uses a 135 for a 26, downhill 150. The roughest wheel set it is the one with the widest hub compared to rim. You would not use a 26 inch rim on a bmx rear hub. (and thats only 1 inch smaller) So y would you necessarily use a 29 on a 150 (unless you feel a 135 wheel is fine for DH)

Not sure if this is the correct way to measure this so feel free to chime in
24/110 is .22
26/110 is .24
26/135 is .19
26/150 is .17
29/135 is .21
29/150 is .19

All decimals are rounded***

A generic DH wheel right now has a ___ of .17(the stiffest)
A Generick 29er wheel right now has a ___ of .19-the same as a generic DJ/XC wheel. (although most 135 singlespeed hubs[drivers] have wider flanges)

Not sure how much it matters but it is not as stiff as a current DH wheel.
Correct on this thinking?
I think the way you're trying to calculate it is the right general idea (more or less, spoke angle essentially being the critical part), however flange spacing is more important than actual hub width - BMXs don't have a wide freehub body or disc brake mounts, so the flange width is a larger proportion of the actual dropout spacing. Also for the comparison to be relevant you'd have to compare the ERD of the rims rather than the outer diameter of the tyres, because if you have the same size tyre and same rim profile on a larger wheel, the spokes are going to be even longer than the outer diameter suggests, since the tyre/rim combined profile aren't increasing at the same rate.

Also, larger diameter rims will inherently be easier to taco (since you simply have more leverage on them) as well as easier to flatspot (since their radius is larger) for a given rim profile, even if you got the spoke angles to be equivalent. This is my personal biggest reason against 29" wheels on a DH bike - we kill wheels easily enough as it is. Whatever though - this is all just speculation, Intense are the guys who are actually trying this stuff in the real world (you know, that place us forum nerds sometimes go when we're not on the forums). I suspect that they'll find it's better in some places, worse in others, and at the end of the day the difference - whether that is better or worse overall - will end up being too small to justify actually putting 29" DH gear into any serious production. Again though, they're actually out there testing it rather than just e-wanking about it.

Someone on MTBR suggested something actually that I thought was a pretty cool idea - 29" front wheel with 26" rear. Would let you get the front wheel over/through stuff it currently won't go, without needing such severe geometry changes (such as 18.5" chainstays or whatever it is that the 2951 has). Many motorbikes use different diameter wheels, doesn't seem to be any particular reason why bicycles *need* to have the same diameter front and rear, other than for the sake of convenience (which I will admit is a pretty huge factor really).

Last edited:

connor

Chimp
Mar 7, 2008
Its entirely dependent on the trail. It wouldn't prove anything (to me, or anyone with an education) unless he was consistantly faster on the bike after doing the same test on a variety of different trails in widespread locations. I know someone who has done this test with 29 and 26 xc bikes and had the 29er be slower every time, but I take it with a grain of salt because I know it was carried out in one location. Anyone who has actually pedaled 29er bikes knows that steeper angles handle like 26s that are 2-3* slacker. What you would do with a 64.5* 29er with a 48" wheelbase besides be slow as **** accelerating and losing speed in tight turns is beyond me. A back-to-back test in so-cal would mean as much to me as this bike does now, nothing. A scientific test carried out over the course of a year on a variety of trails and locations with the 29er being consistantly faster would be much more feasible.

Then I could look at the bike for 3 years while the rim, tire, and suspension manufacturers catch up.
well that's what I was implying, i'm just lazy. They could just give both to me and I could ride them at whistler for le scientific analysis. Fast to gnar there's at least a bit of everything.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Actually I think the hate would drop if 2/3 of the 29'' community stopped behaving like they were on a holy crusade to convince 29'' is the way to go. RM fads are nothing to how some of them are dedicated to their idea.

Personaly I like the looks but I prefer more agile bikes so it will take a lot to convince me to 29'' though I'd like to try one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, larger diameter rims will inherently be easier to taco (since you simply have more leverage on them) as well as easier to flatspot (since their radius is larger) for a given rim profile, even if you got the spoke angles to be equivalent. This is my personal biggest reason against 29" wheels on a DH bike - we kill wheels easily enough as it is. Whatever though - this is all just speculation, Intense are the guys who are actually trying this stuff in the real world (you know, that place us forum nerds sometimes go when we're not on the forums). I suspect that they'll find it's better in some places, worse in others, and at the end of the day the difference - whether that is better or worse overall - will end up being too small to justify actually putting 29" DH gear into any serious production. Again though, they're actually out there testing it rather than just e-wanking about it.
That's one of my gripes with the current 29er supporters. I have a 29er myself, but the 29er supports are usually comparing XC or AM 29er setups and saying things like "it's not too sluggish" or "it can change lines fast enough". I experience plenty of times on my 29er where I'd like it to turn faster or be able to change lines easier, but it's ability to "hold" a line is pretty good too. The thing is that people aren't comparing apples to apples, they are forgetting the rim, tire and spoke requirements for a real DH machine, and while a 29er might be "somewhat more sluggish" than a 26er, a DH 29er is going to be a whole new level. Take your big DH tires and add a few inches of circumfrence, take your rims and add the necessary material/strength, add a few more spokes. We're going to be talking about MASSIVE gyrocscopic stability, too much IMO. Stability is the opposite of maneuverability.

There ARE places where 29ers are faster, on both the uphills and downhills. (I passed people like crazy on my 29er hardtail on a 1500 vert downhill in an XC race for a 7th place finish), but I don't think this is really all that well thought-out by a lot of proponents. It's not just about getting manufacturers to make this stuff, is it really practical and would 650b be far more flexibile?

I think some people should be on a 29er DH bike to have something that fits their body-size. I think that some 29er AM/light FR bikes are going to be pretty good.

I've also ridden quite a few 29er FS bikes and there is no substitute for travel. Yes, 29ers might roll over stuff better (and while "faster", sometimes it ain't fun), but more travel is more travel. I backed to back the DWL spot and sultan and the spot felt like it had an extra inch of travel and was much more plush overall, whereas the Sultan used it's travel effectively and was not "harsh", but it had 20mm less travel and that's exactly how it felt on the trail. Going down a rocky chute I'd want the spot with a slack HT angle, even though the Sultan would roll down "easier".

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Wow, super sick I have to say. Good to see Jeff and Manitou pushing new ideas and doing what they can to support them. I will be testing a 6” 29er next week. Why not try it. I know a lot of you say 29ers will never make it in the DH world. I remember when motor crossers back in the day said 4 strokes would never be used for racing. Well I guess time will tell…..

Cecil:thumb:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You're not gonna all of a sudden taco a 29" wheel where a 26" would have been fine. How many of you taco wheels anyways? I would assume most people's wheels die from cracks/dings/dents/shredded spokes/general banged-uppedness before people taco them anyways.

29 inches probably wouldnt make sense for most people, but for us tall guys it MIGHT be nicer. It probably wouldn't be as fast, but then again, most of us are competitive racers anyways. I'm just curious if it would be a more comfortable bike, that can hit **** easier/is easier to ride. I'd sacrifice a few seconds on my daily shuttle/lift runs for a bike that's safer to ride and more comfortable (if that's the case, not saying it is). I'm just saying, realisticall there's LOTS more factors than just the "theoretically fastest bike design" for people to consider when buying a bike. That being said, all those things that make the bike feel better might make it faster too, who knows. I for one welcome the pointless speculation.

Last edited:

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Intill anyone actually puts some time in on a REAL downhill. NO one will know if its fast or not. Also, if I was 6,6+ id want a 29in bike. i think there is a market out their, just not a big one. I'd ride one, but not as my main bike

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow, super sick I have to say. Good to see Jeff and Manitou pushing new ideas and doing what they can to support them. I will be testing a 6” 29er next week. Why not try it. I know a lot of you say 29ers will never make it in the DH world. I remember when motor crossers back in the day said 4 strokes would never be used for racing. Well I guess time will tell…..

Cecil:thumb:
I don't think manitou is pushing anything here. People modified the Dorado forks independant from Manitou. Manitou may pick up on this, but they aren't "pushing" anything, just selling a few extra units.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
You know that turn that Sam Hill tried to take at 60mph and crashed at Worlds 08? Tell me this thing won't have traction for riding like that???

OK i'm 5'4" and can barely ride an 26" er 8" bike cuz the tire pulls my shorts off.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I remember switching to FOES in 2002 and going back to 26" wheels, the tire hit my ass off a 30' step down so hard it joted my neck form the wrong end!!! I remember seeing stars. I tried a 24 just on the back but it was just too slackered. Freeride 4 eva.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
There is no other company that is as synonymous with downhill racing as there is with Intense. Every new downhill frame that they have released has been put through its paces by WC riders at the highest level of racing before being released to Joe Public.

Seems pretty simple to me. If Intense's WC riders are not using this frame, it's because of 1 of 2 reasons. It doesn't make the riders faster or Intense knows that it will hinder their racers performance.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
There is no other company that is as synonymous with downhill racing as there is with Intense. Every new downhill frame that they have released has been put through its paces by WC riders at the highest level of racing before being released to Joe Public.

Seems pretty simple to me. If Intense's WC riders are not using this frame, it's because of 1 of 2 reasons. It doesn't make the riders faster or Intense knows that it will hinder their racers performance.
I think it has more to do with reason #3: Jeff was just messing around seeing what he could make and just finished it. So there's only one made right now and none of the Intense WC riders have had a chance to try it out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
anybody remember how moist BCD got over his 29er bastard child? Thing was ugly as sin, had minimal clearance F and RR (for minimal wheelbase changes) and he qualified for the world cup in Mt. St anne or something.

His (real world) problems with the bike were that tires were not suited to DH and rims/wheels were not strong enough for DH. IIRC, he raved about bump absorption and the ability to carry speed over rough sections. Didn't comment much on handling.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
oh this thread is gold...i say good for intense for putting another choice out there for the fast open courses...

I doubt i would ever ride one because i am only 5'10, like my 26" wheels, and dont race much...

innovation is good ppl, if it tanks so what intense will live to see another day.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I am curious how that 64.5 head angle will feel with the bigger wheel. Substantially more trail than the same HA with a 26" wheel. Totally different steering dynamic.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
His (real world) problems with the bike were that tires were not suited to DH and rims/wheels were not strong enough for DH. IIRC, he raved about bump absorption and the ability to carry speed over rough sections. Didn't comment much on handling.
Yeah, this same idea was commented on in the thread about the new Lenz 29er DH bike on MTBR. Until someone makes/tests/races a bike that's fully spec'd with 29er specific DH componentry, we'll never know how well it works. I'll never say I'm "for" or "against" something like this, simply because it's a pretty petty thing to treat as if it's a "cause" of some sort. However, I AM in favor of people trying out new things. That's how progress happens.

I hope everyone in this thread that's whining about how our race courses are going to change, and that it'll never work all ride rigid bikes. Since, you know, change is NEVER a good thing.