Quantcast

Intense 29er DH bike

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
the only hate i have for 29'ers is for the people who ride them and then look down their nose at other mountain bikers who aren't on 29'ers. to me 29'ers is just mountain biking for road riders. NTTAWWT, at the end of the day more mountain bikers is a good thing, I just wish that the crappy attitudes would get left behind.
Quoted for truth. You're on a roll today. ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
the only hate i have for 29'ers is for the people who ride them and then look down their nose at other mountain bikers who aren't on 29'ers. to me 29'ers is just mountain biking for road riders. NTTAWWT, at the end of the day more mountain bikers is a good thing, I just wish that the crappy attitudes would get left behind.
One time I was riding by myself on some of the local AM trails on my Bottle Rocket. I stopped for a bit to play on a side feature, a really long log ride, with a pretty tight right turn in the middle of it. One of the local shop owners an 29er zealot extraordinaire rolled up, and watched me have a go. I made it a little ways past the turn, but didn't come through it totally cleanly, got wobbly, and fell off. He told me that he'd never seen anyone get that far, but that I would have made it if I'd been on a 29er. I asked him why none of his riding buddies could do it on their 29ers. He had nothing to say to that. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One time I was riding by myself on some of the local AM trails on my Bottle Rocket. I stopped for a bit to play on a side feature, a really long log ride, with a pretty tight right turn in the middle of it. One of the local shop owners an 29er zealot extraordinaire rolled up, and watched me have a go. I made it a little ways past the turn, but didn't come through it totally cleanly, got wobbly, and fell off. He told me that he'd never seen anyone get that far, but that I would have made it if I'd been on a 29er. I asked him why none of his riding buddies could do it on their 29ers. He had nothing to say to that. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
you should've borreowed his bike on the spot then took went AoTK before getting both wheels on

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
another thought...

Bender TOTALLY could have landed that hundred footer if his Karpiel was a 29'er

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
you should've borreowed his bike on the spot then took went AoTK before getting both wheels on
I'd have been way too scared to go anywhere near that bike out of fear I'd break it by breathing on it. It's the most blinged out weight weenie 29er XC soft tail imaginable.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I have been in on the 29er hate, and have also heard relatively good things about he SC Tall Boy. I have a little time on 29'ers and AM a big guy (6'8", ~240, 38.5" inseam) and I can only reflect what everyone says about rolling over things, however in tight turns, switchbacks, off camber slipperyness (IE when the bike does shift/slip down) - they have felt AWFUL and cumbersome. It may be a matter of getting the geo right for each application and not using the same 26" geo by default, but so far - no good.

EDIT: And look at the tight berm shots, looks like bust em or jump em - cuz they aint getting railed.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd have been way too scared to go anywhere near that bike out of fear I'd break it by breathing on it. It's the most blinged out weight weenie 29er XC soft tail imaginable.
oh man

#1 you gotta get pictures

#2 you gotta secretly start adding weight to it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have been in on the 29er hate, and have also heard relatively good things about he SC Tall Boy...It may be a matter of getting the geo right for each application and not using the same 26" geo by default, but so far - no good.
Exactly, its not physically possible to get the geometry to where it needs to be for aggressive or technical riding. Unless the aim of your MTB is dirt road biking/pure XC its never going to be better.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Exactly, its not physically possible to get the geometry to where it needs to be for aggressive or technical riding. Unless the aim of your MTB is dirt road biking/pure XC its never going to be better.
That's why I'm intrigued by the 650b on my DH bike. Obviously all it would change would be making the BB a little higher, and since it's currently under 13" static, that's probably a good thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that reminds me... to date i have not seen one picture of a 29'er hucking, or even doing a sweet manual or wheelie

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Regarding the 29er... I'm all for trying new things, but I like parts that are interchangeable. Having such a purpose built machine with wheels, tires, tubes that I can only use on that bike is too specialized for my purposes. I'm not a racer and I have plenty of fun on my current bike.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
that reminds me... to date i have not seen one picture of a 29'er hucking, or even doing a sweet manual or wheelie
I would think that that probably has to do with the lack of equipment built for that purpose, right? At least with regards to hitting the big stuff.

I think that up until now the technology has only gotten to the point that these wheels are burly enough to be used for xc/am applications. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for wheelbuilding and materials advances to get to the point where there are 29" wheels durable enough for DH.

Geometry and handling is obviously a bit of a trickier issue. But again there, the thought that 26" wheels are the perfect standard for DH and that they will stand for all eternity as the only suitable wheel size seems odd.

The point that's always made about how the 29ers are only suitable for "fire road DH" also seemed funny to me since the major selling point of the larger wheel is that it gets through the chunky stuff more easily. Or did I miss something?

I dunno. I don't ride XC, I haven't spent any time on a 29er so I have no real world experience on the topic. It's just a little strange to me that this conversation always brings out these ultra-conservative sentiments amongst DHers.

I wonder if suspension and 26" wheels met with the same heated opposition as the 29er is now. I'm sure someone who was riding in that era can weigh in on that.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I've got my 29er set up a little different than the average 29er rider. Since i've ridden my fair share of Dh, I threw some 29.5 v1 bars on it, put my gravity dropper on, and put a 70mm stem on it. My bike is a little bit different than my Coilair, but it's not so different that I couldn't get used to it. I ride XC with guys that are pro DH racers, and my 29er hasn't slowed me down enough that they can drop me on the down hill sections (unless it gets so hairy that i couldn't have done it on either bike). I think that a lot of people are forgetting that it really comes down to a rider's skill level more than the bike. The advantages of the 29er wheels rolling over things easier and getting up to speed and keeping it are worth it to me. It might be a tiny, tiny bit slower when it gets super tight and techy, but really, there aren't trails like that around here anywhere. The only place i can think of that would be a little harder to ride would be gooseberry just because of the tight turns. But like i said, i think a lot of it comes down to the skills the rider has more than it actually comes down to the bike.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Mikee or something over on emptybeer posts up pictures of whistler on a 29er. There are several threads to be found.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
And 4 strokes will never work for Motocross. :thumb:
They also managed on getting a few MX tracks closed due to loud noise. Sweet

Guess Honda really had to keep their mechanics job secure and force the 4 stroke idea onto everyone. No more one hour motor rebuilds for $100.:rant: I sold my 4 stroke BTW. It was fun just no time to ride.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I said it before and will say it again: in the times of SRM cranks and Freelap systems it MUST be possible to collect enough scientific evidence for or against 29ers being faster. So why has no bike manufacturer shown this data? Would be a huge marketing tool! Unless, of course, the data shows no difference or a disadvantage of 29ers. Mmmmhhhhh......

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I said it before and will say it again: in the times of SRM cranks and Freelap systems it MUST be possible to collect enough scientific evidence for or against 29ers being faster. So why has no bike manufacturer shown this data? Would be a huge marketing tool! Unless, of course, the data shows no difference or a disadvantage of 29ers. Mmmmhhhhh......
THE ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT THE EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE!!!

:panic:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
How the FVCK do you propose to that? If it was as cut and dry as "29ers are faster or "26ers are faster" we'd have caught on by now. The number of factors beyond wheel size is innumerable. I mean, I could grab a 29er and a 26er, and time myself over certain sections of trail. I'd probably be faster on different bits of trail on the different bikes. Does that mean fvck all about how they'd work for you on your trails? Not really. You're grossly oversimplifying the issue.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
IMO riding style makes a bigger difference than wheel size....

To obtain real data the rider must be eliminated from the equation for a result that is not relative.. Kind of misses the point though as not everyone riders the same.. Back to where I started :p

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
to some people it doesn't matter if it's faster or not....I like the challenge of riding a 26" wheel in technical terrain, 29ers remove that challenge and make it easier for hacks to ride gnarly stuff....hey, if you like cheating, whatever, your call...... ;-) for the record, I've spent the past couple weeks on a tallboy, and it's fun here and there, but certainly not the be all and end all of bike technology, plenty of shortcomings to go along with it....

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
How the FVCK do you propose to that? If it was as cut and dry as "29ers are faster or "26ers are faster" we'd have caught on by now. The number of factors beyond wheel size is innumerable. I mean, I could grab a 29er and a 26er, and time myself over certain sections of trail. I'd probably be faster on different bits of trail on the different bikes. Does that mean fvck all about how they'd work for you on your trails? Not really. You're grossly oversimplifying the issue.
I have just the man for the job

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
to some people it doesn't matter if it's faster or not....I like the challenge of riding a 26" wheel in technical terrain, 29ers remove that challenge and make it easier for hacks to ride gnarly stuff....hey, if you like cheating, whatever, your call...... ;-) for the record, I've spent the past couple weeks on a tallboy, and it's fun here and there, but certainly not the be all and end all of bike technology, plenty of shortcomings to go along with it....
This argument always makes me LOL. So based on this why are you messing with 26" wheels? Better get yourself a full rigid 24" rig, right? That logic makes zero sense to me.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
This argument always makes me LOL. So based on this why are you messing with 26" wheels? Better get yourself a full rigid 24" rig, right? That logic makes zero sense to me.
or even better still ride a BMX... then after the you dont clear that rock garden you can explain that you would have smoked everyone if you were on a normal bike...:think:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
What you're saying just sounds funny. It's like saying downhill bikes make rocks easier for hacks to ride through and those guys like Minaar and Peaty are cheating. What's going to happen when one of them start riding a proto 29er? Everybody is gonna be nut huggin and speaking the 29er gospel if that happens. Oh, it's gonna be funny. I can guarantee that EDGE/ENVE is working on a set of carbon 29er wheels that would hold up to some abuse.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Alright, a little too much hostility from both sides. As someone who owns multiple bikes both of the 26 and 29 variety this is my .02.

Bikes are tools, they help get you from point A to point B (more or less). Some will do it faster, some more efficient, and some with a little more fun. Some will excel on smooth fast trails, some on tight twisty trails and some on steep technical trails. Sometimes the right tool for one person isn't the right tool for another. You could also draw a comparison to golf clubs. You have a whole bag full of them, could you get through 18 holes with just 1 club? Sure. But each club has a more specific purpose and is most efficient when used in the situation it was designed for. And just like with bikes, you will occasionally have some overlap, where two tools can both accomplish the same outcome but each might suit one individual over another.

Maybe that's too broad a comparison but the way I see it, they are all bikes. Just go out and enjoy the ride, whatever you're on.

:: steps down from soapbox::

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
no hostility....like I said, I've been riding a tallboy, and while it's fun, it takes away a lot of what I personally enjoy in mountain biking. if it's your bag, go ahead, get your rocks off, but just don't assume that it is, or should be, for everyone.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Alright, a little too much hostility from both sides. As someone who owns multiple bikes both of the 26 and 29 variety this is my .02.

Bikes are tools, they help get you from point A to point B (more or less). Some will do it faster, some more efficient, and some with a little more fun. Some will excel on smooth fast trails, some on tight twisty trails and some on steep technical trails. Sometimes the right tool for one person isn't the right tool for another. You could also draw a comparison to golf clubs. You have a whole bag full of them, could you get through 18 holes with just 1 club? Sure. But each club has a more specific purpose and is most efficient when used in the situation it was designed for. And just like with bikes, you will occasionally have some overlap, where two tools can both accomplish the same outcome but each might suit one individual over another.

Maybe that's too broad a comparison but the way I see it, they are all bikes. Just go out and enjoy the ride, whatever you're on.

:: steps down from soapbox::
So which is better on steep, tight, twisty trails?