Quantcast

IS SUB 40 lbs POSSIBLE? How

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Who's got a rig thats sub 40 lbs, and is made for aggressive free ride and downhill racing? what frame and combination of parts!

What is the average weight of a freeride bike or downhill rig made for big drops and aggressive courses.

All right 50 posts later, lets take it to the level. Post pics of sub 40lb rides and specs to give ideas to other would be builders or builders, pro's etc...
Anyone generally intrested in making their ride a little lighter and more fun.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Cranks are often overbuilt.
Front wheels can be light+strong.
Get the lightest brakes. (Mag plus w/7 inch (al?) rotors)
Carbon bars
DH stems are often overbuilt. In fact, I'll bet the e.13 integrated one is pretty light.
Mag pedals
Al steer tube or carbon if you can get it.
Carbon seat post
Foam grips
Light tires/flyweight tubes/UST
DB spokes
Al nipps
Selle Italia assknife seats

I don't do any of these on my Stinky9 , it weighs about 45lb (heck, I don't care at all, I haven't even weighed it.
But those are tricks that xc riders use to save weight.

If you are rich, you can afford to replace parts that break due to underbuiltness.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Wellllll.
Since lbs. refer to weight, not mass. It is quite easy to create a light weight bike, take it to pluto.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've got a 04 bullit large, deemax rims maxxis minion tires, hope mono 6ti brakes 205mm rotors, boxxer team, thomson stem and post, x.9 shifters and rear der., hussefelt cranks, vuelta rings fsa platinum pro bb 118MM, E-13DRS, SG TI saddle, avy 275 dhs shock, bulletproof pedals, odi locons, xt cassette and she weighs in at 42.4lbs.
Im putting my xtr cassette w/ ti coggs, welgo mg1 pedals, raceface turbine cranks w/ rf bb, and gonna give the easton monkeylite dh70 bars a try. If I still have a wife after this week I'll get the ti spring to see if that pushes her over the edge.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
ioscope said:
Wellllll.
Since lbs. refer to weight, not mass. It is quite easy to create a light weight bike, take it to pluto.
You don't need to go to Pluto, you can go to the moon. It's a smaller trip.

And they have good hills there too.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
my orange 223 weighs just under 38 . there are no sketchy parts on it... boxxer, truvativ, mavic, maxxis dh tires and tubes, etc. (the frame is 9 pounds with the shock, so that helps). i have put xc tubes in before and it was even lighter, but the dtubes were more reliable and worth the weight knowing they would not flat.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
It's funny that you post this because just the other day I was thinking the same thing. I have a vpfree thats right around 41 pounds and I was trying to find the areas that i could drop some cost effective weight. To be honest and I'm sure most know this, the best place to lose weight is in the tires/tubes, seat, pedals, and springs. You menton the monkey lite bars. Those will drop minimal weight (like 20grams), but the price and durability may negate the benefits IMO. So I came to the conclusion that to loose weight and be sub 40 I needed to...

1. Get a seat that hurts like hell (no thanks)
2. Get all ti springs (1/2lbs less for the 5th elem. and gets some for the 888 anybody know if they make those?)
3. I'm allready running xc tubes with my 2.7front/2.5 rear mobsters so tubless would only drop me like 100 or so grams... not cost effective.

In the end, for me, the most cost effective way to loose a pound or so was ti springs front and rear and pedals w/ti axles.

Sure you can get crazy and shave 20 grams here and 5 grams there, but I was looking for the biggest gains for the least $$$ and I wasn't going to sacrifice strength. Yeah Ti springs aren't cheap, but they yeild big gains.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think the easiest way is to try and lose some weight yourself..now I have no idea how much you weigh or even what you look like...but if you can drop just 10 pounds you will notice quite a performance difference.....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ncrider said:
It's funny that you post this because just the other day I was thinking the same thing. I have a vpfree thats right around 41 pounds and I was trying to find the areas that i could drop some cost effective weight. To be honest and I'm sure most know this, the best place to lose weight is in the tires/tubes, seat, pedals, and springs. You menton the monkey lite bars. Those will drop minimal weight (like 20grams), but the price and durability may negate the benefits IMO. So I came to the conclusion that to loose weight and be sub 40 I needed to...

1. Get a seat that hurts like hell (no thanks)
2. Get all ti springs (1/2lbs less for the 5th elem. and gets some for the 888 anybody know if they make those?)
3. I'm allready running xc tubes with my 2.7front/2.5 rear mobsters so tubless would only drop me like 100 or so grams... not cost effective.

In the end, for me, the most cost effective way to loose a pound or so was ti springs front and rear and pedals w/ti axles.

Sure you can get crazy and shave 20 grams here and 5 grams there, but I was looking for the biggest gains for the least $$$ and I wasn't going to sacrifice strength. Yeah Ti springs aren't cheap, but they yeild big gains.

get rid of that 2.7 front tire...go 2.5 you should be able to chop some good rotating weight from that...D

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
alright if i can get a yeti dh9 down wayyy low to 39.3 lbs anythings possible.

small dh9 frame pushed rc with ti spring and full ti bolt kit
hadley hubs, gold on 823's with aluminum short ass nipples with bladed front spokes and revos in the back
thomson masterpiece post with flite slr seat
thomson 50mm stem with easton carbon bars cut down an inch or so
dura ace ti casset 25 or 27 tooth max i think
mag + brakes and ti hardware
2.35 rear single ply minion rear tubeless, 2.5 minion single ply with speacil knobs cut tubeless
new xt cranks, ti hardware, race face zeus bb cups (or holzfeller cranks and fsa ti bb but i love the stiffenes of the xt's)
odi ruffian lock ons
sram x9 shifter xo rear der
slider+ fork with cutom ti spring
welgo mag pedals with dmr ti axles

same parts but a new dorado with a ti spring will hopefully be on my sinister r9 and should weight about 38 or so

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
You know it's funny how we are always willing to spend big bucks on lighter rides when we should maybe just back off on the Krispy Kremes and burritos instead.

Until last year I rode motocross alot and a buddy of mine that's a pro was listening to me talk shyt about getting some lighter parts for my YZF and he pinched my spare tire really hard and said "You wanna save some weight, by a f-ing jump rope" :thumb:

Chris

I answered the phone and BMXman said it right and b4 me :D .

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
AlberTop said:
Easton carbon bar and seatpost. Selle Italia carbon seat.
Hayes HFX-Mag Plus (carbon blades) with Braking rotors.
Ti bolts.

ha..that's exactly what I have on my dh bike...D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I weigh 205 and have no place to lose it. My bars are 325 and eastons are 225 that =100g's, my seat already hurts, and finding a used ti spring for an avy is hard. I already run kenda x/c tubes and single ply maxxis. I hear of these guys running 2.5 and I assume those are 2 ply. How in the world did they shave the weght or are they full -o- Sh_t.
I can drop a 1.5lbs by putting my other shock on and more by putting a ti spring on it. But that defeats the purpose for having bought the avy, smooth comfortable drops with confidence.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
"04" bullit large
deemax 36 spoke rims
maxxis minion 2.35 dh 40d tires
hope mono 6ti brakes 205mm rotors
avalanche dhs 2.75
boxxer team black boxxed
hussefelt cranks
fsa 118 bb platinum pro
bulletproof pedals
xt front der
xt cassette
vuelta rings 22 & 32
bg ti saddle
thomson post and stem (cut down)
world force bars
x.9 shifters and rear der.
pc 59 chain
odi loc ons
e-13drs 36th bashguard

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
that doesn't look too bad...I would swap out:
chain
bars
cranks
rims and hate to say it but the rear shock.....D

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
Santa Cruz Bullit 2003 Medium with 5th element
Marzocchi Super-t 2002
FSA Pig DH Pro
Race Face Diabolus crank
Syncros Mental pedals
MRP System 2 Slalom
BlackSpire DH 38t
Hayes HFX-MAG 8”
Mavic d321
Ringlé ABBAH SOS (f/r)
DT Champion
Michelin Comp32 2.8/Comp24.1 2.5
IRC (standard tubes)
Shimano 105 cassette
Shimano XT chain
Thomson post/stem
Pro Taper 2"
Shimano XT shifter
Fizik Atlas
Shimano XT derailleur
ODI Lock-On Rogue
mine weights about 39pounds and its amazingly strong

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
So I'm jumping aboard cause it seems there are some knowledgeable weight droppers in here right now. Here's my parts list. Any recomendations for weight savings?

FRAME: Vpfree
REAR SHOCK:5th elem.
FORK: 888
REAR DER: Shimano M750 GS (XT)
FRONT DER: Shimano M580 (LX)
SHIFTERS: Shimano M570 Rapid Fire (LX)
CRANKSET: TruVativ Holzfeller 22/32 Rock Guard
BB: TruVativ Giga Pipe Team DH
CASSETTE : Shimano HG 70 11/32 (XT)
CHAIN: Shimano HG 73 (XT)
BRAKES: Avid Juicy 7 w/8" rotors
BRAKE LEVERS: Avid Speed Dial 5
BARS: Easton EA 70 Monkey Bar
STEM: Easton Vice
GRIPS: Lizard Skin Logo
HEADSET: cane creek s2
SEAT POST: Thompson
SADDLE: fizik plateau
WHEELS: Mavic EX 729 rims laced to a WTB(150mm) rear hub and White(20mm) front hub w/DT 14/15 spokes.

TIRES: MAxxis mobsters 2.7front 2.5rear
TUBES: xc
PEDALS: Primo

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
BMXman said:
that doesn't look too bad...I would swap out:
chain
bars
cranks
rims and hate to say it but the rear shock.....D
Yeah I have turbine cranks arms that saves me almost 1/2lb over the hussefelts and I am going with the rf bb 113 instead of the fsa platinum pro chromo, I have RF rings and getting welgo mg-1 pedlas.
thomson post is 28.6 X 9 3/4 long, stem is 70mm thomson, bars are world force risers 325g, aluminum vuelta rings.
I have a stratos helix prodh that was acadians, it rides sweet and it's almost 1.4lbs lighter than the avy. the stratos still has a steele spring on it.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
What about some '05 Ti Boxxer springs? I believe they will fit into earlier models. Might not yield spectacular results, but worth a shot...

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
'03 Gt DHi - large
'03 Boxxer Team -stock except Black box upgrade thingy
King HS
Tioga 36hole Dh rims
rear hadley/front ?
XTR cranks
XTR rear der.
Syncros seat post
Easton mg60 stem
Protaper bars
Shimano 636 DX pedals
Hayes brakes - nothing special
Maxxis OEM high rollers - real thin sidewalls
Maxxis tubes - not DH but not XC either?
Fox RC shock - steel spring
WTB ti rail seat - hurt too much for XC so I put it on DH race bike

39.5-39.75 pounds

I could have went down more with Ti spring on shock, Boxxer kit from UK (forgot what it was called), carbon seat post, hayes mag plus brakes (carbon levers and ti hardware), etc.
This would have been race only though so I wouldn't recomend most of these things for "freeride" bikes.

BTW, I bought a complete Demo 9 (the lower end silver one) and have taken it on a few XC rides that included abundant uphill. About a month ago we rode a place called Lake Sawyer and it was pretty tough towards the end of the ride (I had Intense 2.5 909 sticky's and Intense HD DH tubes on the bike). Superbowl weekend we went there again and this time I put on Intense 2.25 C3 XC tires and regular tubes and it was night and day difference. Bike still weighed well into the 40's, but pedaled so much easier.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
I would say anything under 40 pounds can be done pretty easily. I was bored the other day and I put this together. A lot of the parts aren't even light, and the DH9 is a hefty frame.

Yeti DH9 frame with Swinger 4way 12.2lbs = 5533 grams
2005 Boxxer Team 7.45lbs = 3378 grams
Sram X.9 Deraileur = 235 grams
Sram X.7 Shifter = 130 grams
Sram PC-99 Chain = 297 grams
Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL BB = 243 grams
Truvativ Holzefeller Cranks w/40t ring = 680 grams
RaceFace Evolve Seatpost Cut Down = 225 grams
Shimano XT 11-32 Cassette = 264 grams
Maxxis 2.5” Minion DHF Slow Reezay = 1330 grams
Maxxis 2.5” Minion DHF Slow Reezay = 1330 grams
Maxxis 26” DH Tube = 465 grams