Quantcast

IS SUB 40 lbs POSSIBLE? How

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Spunger said:
If you're racking WC (world cup) circuits where there's not a Gnar of rocks and such then Carbon and Ti and everything else is ok.
Wha? Pretty much all WC circuits are about as rough and gnarly as it gets (see Nevegal, Ste Anne,Ft Bill etc)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
bullcrew said:
yeah, I know that sub 40 is a mind thing. But carry 4 lbs on your neck or waist for 2 hours on a hike, then tell me how incremental 4 lbs is. It adds up over the course of a ride and obviously the terrain.
Every little bit helps as long as strength is not sacraficed to a dangerous degree.
Yeah, I totally agree that poundage matters. I was a grunt; I know these things...I've packed light and frozen at night. All I'm saying is that 40 lbs isn't a magic number...it's arbitrary. Taking 4 lbs off your rig is significant, even if you don't break the magic 40 lb barrier.

What gets me is peoples' attitude to weight sometimes. People with big, heavy bikes put heavy, cheap (or just too-overbuilt) crap on them, with the "weight weenies are pussies" attitude, saying "bah, it's already 45 lbs...what's 2 more?" If MY bike weighed 45 lbs, I'd really care about weight. But if it weighed 40-41 lbs, I don't worry so much about every gram...I can afford to have a heavier bottom bracket if I want one. Yet, it's people who already have light bikes who obsess over every gram... (Naturally; that's how they got a light bike in the first place!)

MD

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Unfortunatley you are all wrong. 40 lbs is the magical margin where your bike becomes a feather and you can fly down the trail with zero effort and mad skilz. O wait, that's called DH mountain biking.

HOw about this to make your bike lighter, reduce gravity. You'll jump longer, but you won't go as fast(downhill).

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Here are my two Geminis, I dont have the green one anymore, I just got the DH. The DH right now weighs 43ibs but will be much lighter with DHX in the rear, new XT cranks, new cassette, tubeless and SDG i beam system. Other then that besides wheels I dont know where I can lose much weight. The old gemini was 36ibs at its lightest. I really like the DH weighing more tho its more stable and im stronger than I was so it all works out.

Attachments

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
My friend had his M1 with Dorado and no ti down to 40. He put a Fox 40 on it last week. The fork weighs 6.8 pounds and he saved almost a pound. He also ordered a Fox DHX, which will be lighter than the Fifth Element. Can't wait to ride the 40.

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
My friend and i speced out a 34/36 pound vp-free depending on the wheelset you use and w/ all xtr a fox 40 and DHX +plus other light/strong stuff. I think he might be getting it in the next couple months then we'll see if it can really be set up that light.

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
Here's what I'll be riding. It could be made to sub 36.5 Lbs with tubeless converted single-ply 2.35" Maxxis DH tires, an SLR Saddle, a thinner G-45 Gamut bash ring, a 160mm rear rotor, and some of those new Stylo external BB cranks.

Here's the specs (I almost have everything...):

Wheels: 4,793g
Front Rim: DT-Swiss FR 6.1D 32-hole Black 610g
Back Rim: DT-Swiss FR 6.1D 32-hole Black 610g
Front Hub: DT Hugi FR 110mm, 20mm thru-axle 32-hole 190g
Rear Hub: DT Hugi 240s Disc 135mm, 32-hole 273g
Spokes: DT Swiss Super Comp Black 2.0/1.7/1.8 318g(64pcs)
Nipples: DT Swiss ProLock Aluminum 1.8x12 20g(64pcs)
Front Tire: Maxxis High Roller 2.5”, 2-Ply, 42a 1255g
Back Tire: Maxxis High Roller 2.5”, 2-Ply, 42a 1255g
Tubes and rim strips: Maxxis Flyweight 26x1.90-2.125 210g
Quick Release: DT Swiss 135mm 52g

Controls: 2,544g
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 31.8x50mm Black 173g
Bars: Truvativ Team Riser Bar 31.8mm x 25mm rise Black 269g
Grips: ODI Lock-On Ruffian 100g
Front Brake: Magura Louise FR with 203mm rotors 543g
Back Brake: Magura Louise FR with 203mm rotors 573g
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 30.9x287mm Black 205g
Saddle: Specialized Enduro S-works 217g
Pedals: Crank Brothers Mallet Magnesium Silver 464g

Drivetrain 2,069g
Shifter: Sram X.9 131g
Rear Derailleur: Sram X.0 Medium Cage 204g
Chainguide: Gamut Engager P-40 104mm 4-bolt I.S.C.G. 265g
Chain: Sram PC-99 Hollow Pin 284g
Cassette: Sram PG-970 9-speed 12-26 215g
Cables and Housing: Sram 50g
Cranks n’ stuff: Truvativ Holzfeller 170mm, Ti-BB, 38-tooth ring 920g

Front End: 3,148g
Fork: Fox 40 RC2 3,062g
Headset: Specialized 3x Sealed 1-1/8” Black 86g

12,554g, 27.68lbs build-kit, 38.5lbs built on a Specialized Demo-8 with a ti-sprung DHX 5.0, 10.82 lbs frame+shock weight

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
B_LOWrider said:
My friend and i speced out a 34/36 pound vp-free depending on the wheelset you use and w/ all xtr a fox 40 and DHX +plus other light/strong stuff. I think he might be getting it in the next couple months then we'll see if it can really be set up that light.
I think the free was supposed to be a really light frame (at least compared to a DH rig) but when they got them into the shop I used to work at they were heavier than we expected... Does anybody know the REAL weight of the VP Free? I'd bet that the new V-10 is lighter (much better bike in my opinion)

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
i had a trek bruiser 2 reduced down to about 45, but that was with a risse the champ fork on there and a 3'' tire so im sure u can do it with a hard tail just go with a lighter fork and a much smaller tire.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
HAAAHAAAAAAAAAA! almost there, I stuck my RF turbines on with the RF bb and RF rings, and xc tubes. 40.2 lbs, I ordered my ti spring today and my welgo mg1 pedals. I still have the avy on it too. YEAH!
pedals are 578g welgos are 382 =196 g saved, my ti spring is almost 230g lighter than my steele plus it's a lighter spring weight so less metal wrap. and mt xtr ti cassette is sitting here waiting it's 60g lighter than my xt (its the 99 csm950 224g).
So that alone will put it another 1lb down. my new bars with the new thomson masterpeice post are 100g lighter than my current so almost another 1/4 lb.
If all goes well I should have it in at or below 39 by the end of the week.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I'm surprised that something new hasn't come around for wheels. They use the same technology since the outset of aluminum rims. Nipples, spokes, hubs rims. 36 32 48 nothing ever changes!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
ncrider said:
So I'm jumping aboard cause it seems there are some knowledgeable weight droppers in here right now. Here's my parts list. Any recomendations for weight savings?

FRAME: Vpfree
REAR SHOCK:5th elem.
FORK: 888
REAR DER: Shimano M750 GS (XT)
FRONT DER: Shimano M580 (LX)
SHIFTERS: Shimano M570 Rapid Fire (LX)
CRANKSET: TruVativ Holzfeller 22/32 Rock Guard
BB: TruVativ Giga Pipe Team DH
CASSETTE : Shimano HG 70 11/32 (XT)
CHAIN: Shimano HG 73 (XT)
BRAKES: Avid Juicy 7 w/8" rotors
BRAKE LEVERS: Avid Speed Dial 5
BARS: Easton EA 70 Monkey Bar
STEM: Easton Vice
GRIPS: Lizard Skin Logo
HEADSET: cane creek s2
SEAT POST: Thompson
SADDLE: fizik plateau
WHEELS: Mavic EX 729 rims laced to a WTB(150mm) rear hub and White(20mm) front hub w/DT 14/15 spokes.

TIRES: MAxxis mobsters 2.7front 2.5rear
TUBES: xc
PEDALS: Primo

My intended use is mostly FR and light DH. I'm looking for any suggestions on cost effective weight loss.
Thanks.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
yeah tires and ti spring for the 5th seem to be my biggest bang for the buck changes.

Any other suggestions?

Anybody know if Marz makes ti springs for 888?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
ncrider

mag pedals and change the 729 rims to 823?s and go tubeless ust, get ust tires while your at it, you will drop the weight of the rims, 75-100g each, and the tubes, though I would put some sealant in the tires.

Masse

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
Finland
I`m setting up an Intense Uzzi Vpx, M-size. I`ve been calculating the weight based on the Weight Weenies` weights/my own measurements. I think I`ll get it pretty light...

Frame: Uzzi VPX, medium, Manitou 6-way (Sky blue :D) 4,2 kg
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 0,238 kg
Wheels+cassette+tyres: -04 Deemax UST rims, DT comp spokes, Middleburn/Hadley hubs, Nokian Gazzaloddi G 2,3 UST tyres, Sram R9 12-26 cassette 5,150 kg
Stem: Thomson elite, 50 mm 0,156 kg
Brakes: Hayes El Camino 8" rotors 0,950kg
Cranks: Middleburn RS7 170 mm+4-bolt spider+crankbolts 530 g
Handlebar: Maxm MX6 0,16 kg
Headset: Cane Creek Double XC 0,25 kg
Bottom Bracket: Fsa Platinum 0,250 kg
Pedals: Dmr v12 mag+ti-axles 0,351 kg
Saddle: WTB Laser V Titanium 0,242 kg
Chain guide: MRP system 3 0,37 kg
Derailleur: Sram X9 0,25 kg
Shifter: Sram X9 0,135 kg
Chainring: Evil 38t 0,070 kg
Grips: Odi lock-on 0,1 kg
Fork: Fox 40 Rc2 3,062 kg
Chain: Sram pc89r 0,271 kg
Cable, grease, other necessary bits: 0,050 kg

16.853 kg=~37,2 lbs

Do you see something that`s total bullsh*t? Let me know. :help:

Problem is that I haven`t found real weight for El Caminos (I used Shimano XT 2002+8" rotors` weight, El Caminos can`t weigh more than that, can they?) and Fox 40 rc2 fork. Someone in this topic wrote it`s 3,062 kg, so I felt free to use that information. I've ran into a few magazines/reviews that state it to weigh 2,8 kg.. that just can`t be true. Fox says it`s 3,2 kg. I`ll get a Ti-spring for the shock on a later date, it`s soooo expensive... does anyone know how much it weights?
Sorry about misspelled words, I don`t get to speak/write English too often.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ncrider said:
My intended use is mostly FR and light DH. I'm looking for any suggestions on cost effective weight loss.
Thanks.
I would go with a regular BB...since the ISIS design I don't think DH BB's are really necessary, wheels for sure...although I'm not completely sold on tubeless yet....also pedals and tires go 2.5 and 2.35....D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BMXman said:
I would go with a regular BB...since the ISIS design I don't think DH BB's are really necessary, wheels for sure...although I'm not completely sold on tubeless yet....also pedals and tires go 2.5 and 2.35....D
With the way ISIS BBs tend to fail, bearing-wise, I'd actually try the Shimano cranks...xt, lx, or Hone (which is just LX with a different spider, in black, I'm told...)

That's gonna be my next set.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
definently hone, saints are too heavy unless your dropping and tring to give rocks a flat top. outboard bearings are way heavier duty and the shaft is bigger. isis bb's are compromised by having too small of bearings to compensate for the bigger shaft and square taper have bigger bearings but have a smaller shaft to compensate. Hone has bigger bearings and shaft so both are bulletproof and yet semi light. Good place to keep a little weight is in the lower section, for gravity and the unfortunate abuse that happens by sitting close to the ground.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I got DMR V12 mags, and have considered Ti axels, but are the Ti axels strong enough for DH/FR use ??

Whan't light and strong wheels, go with king, dt comp, spokes and Mavic 721's. Last year I ran a Mavic 719 rim on the front, with no big problems.

S

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Get an Orange or a Lenzsport. Very capable, very fast rigs (not made in taiwan either). Ive got the 222 with all solid parts dorado, N shores, E13, Ringleader, Saint, Hadley, 521s and I doubt Im over 40lbs. Thinking about losing the floating brake, that would be a good pound (and Peaty wins without it!). 521's are the key (mate with 2.5 minions and Hadleys) for the best wheels around. Helps to be light, a heavy guy thats rough and tumble may kill them. I was really impressed with the easton carbon DH bar, its possibly the stiffest bar Ive ever felt.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
hopey steering damper will be here in 2 weeks, the hopey man at hopey land is 2 weeks backed up.
IIIIAAAAAEEEEEEE! I don't like waiting, IT SUCKS!
Oh well, that'll give me time to do stans tubeless and drop a little more weight to get it at a rock solid 39lbs.

IF ANYONE IS SELLING LIGHT DH/FR PARTS POST IT IN HERE FOR ALL OF US LIGHTWEIGHTS. I'd buy if the right item popped up. As I am sure a couple of others would. If anyone hears of good deals going on in different spots on the web post it so we can benifit.
FYI: weyless mg1's are the same as wellgo mg1's. although they only come in black and aren't as refined to save cost. They are still Magnesium though and the same weight. 382g for the set.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ended up buying the new thomson x4 mountain stem 31.8 with pro taper 31.8 bars (black) along with a trailbear 2.5 for the front for everday riding. I also got the xpedo magnesium platform pedals. My bar and stem combo is 396g and thats 31.8" with a 2" rise bar 27" long. my xpedos are 408g.
I am 104g lighter than my other bar and stem (thomson w/ world force bars 25.4) and I am losing 173g on my pedals. My king 20mm came in today also (pewter).
My xtr (cs-m950 226g) cassette is 47g lighter than my xt 760. I am going to order a selle italia saddle also.
I should have a ti spring for the avy in 1 wk when it gets here (290g savings).
As of now though with pedals, stem, turbine cranks, bars and cassette I saved 664g or almost 1 1/2 lb lighter.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
You remind me of myslef about a decade ago. Back then everybody was a crazy gram counter. We all had XC hardtails and were trying desperately to break the 20lb barrier. I hit about 19.6 at the low but that was with bebop pedals and some other really scary stuff that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole these days. :D

Have fun with it! when you run out of money I have a feeling you will realize what MikeD was talking about as far as numbers being arbitrary. Don't get me wrong, I try to make my bikes as light as they can be within reason. My new bike is a 6&6" Enduro that weighs exactly 34lbs and is bullet proof. I could have built it to be about 1-2lbs lighter but it would have cost another G at least.

I think it's good that you are running a Hopey though, that shows that you value performance over weight ultimately. Same goes for a floating brake, Brake Therapy has one for the Bullit that makes it into a much better bike IMO...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I don't think at this point that I have sacraficed a whole lot of integrity of the strength, I didn't go carbon, (No offense to anyone using it). I stayed with mostly dh stuff the bars are oversized so they can drop weight with the added strength of a bigger diameter. The deemax are pretty bulletproof and the avy shock is a pillar of strength. The boxxer is great for the faster descents and DH, but I kept my Stratos S7 with the S8 internals for the big stuff. By the way I love that fork, It's not given me one bit of trouble, no leaks or bottoming. I haven't had to correct the crowns after crashing either, I even stuck amsoil atf synthetic in it and all the stiction is completely gone the thing took buttery smooth travel to a whole new level of response.
Aside of the cranks I really cannot see where I have sold myself short on durability.
Punkassean your input is greatly appreciated and at know time taken for granted, so if you can see where I am going to have a problem let me know. I'd like to avoid a breakage in a critical area if possible.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
OK, my ride was as follows (sorry, no pic's):
Frame: 2002 15" Orange 222 No floater
Fork: 2003 Boxxer World Cup only one spring and an air assist
Shock: 5th element w/ Ti spring
Stem/ Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Seat: Selle Italia SLR
Headset: Chris King
Handle Bar: Azonic World Force 1.5" rise (I recommend the Easton Carbon DH)
Brakes: 2003 Shimano XT w/ 8" Rotors
Grips: ODI Ruffians
Wheels: Ringle Single Tracks laced 3X w/ Straitguage 14G spokes to Ringle Abbah Hubs
Tires: Maxxis 26x2.5 anything Supertacky
Tubes: 20" tube flayed to be rimstrip and stans
Der, Cass, Chain: Dura Ace 11-23 Cass
Shifter: LX
Cranks: Truvativ Holzfellers 38T Ring
Chainguide: MRP slalom System 1
Pedals: Time Z

Overall Weight: 37 lbs.

It's very possible to make a strong but sturdy Bike, good luck with yours. :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Mani_UT said:
Where did you find these number?
I checked my saint (complete with mono-ring) on a good scale and got 1075g !!
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.php
weight weenies relies on self test w/ accurate scale, even shimano history page as well as the retailers have that set pegged higher weight. Usually retailers and shimano don't put a higher weight on an item, it makes it less desireable if its too heavy.
Still an awesome crankset, I'd check your scale also.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
E.T. said:
I think the free was supposed to be a really light frame (at least compared to a DH rig) but when they got them into the shop I used to work at they were heavier than we expected... Does anybody know the REAL weight of the VP Free? I'd bet that the new V-10 is lighter (much better bike in my opinion)
i dont know if anybody has responed to this or not but the VP and the V10 weigh the same. the big differences between the two is the v10 has more travel and the vp can have a front der.