Quantcast

ISCG03 Chain Guides?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Man, it's hard to find a chain guide in OG ISCG 2003 spec aside from Chinese eBay trash.

Blackspire is closing some out, but they're discontinued models and I would like to stay with something current for when plastics break.

Any other options come to mind? I have a xc bike needs a top guide only, and an endurbro-ish bike where I'd prefer something with a roller as well, though that's not 100% essential.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yes... that's why I need something with the outdated pattern.

Canfield seems to have held onto the old one for a while for some reason.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's ISCG03 per the Canfield site. Forgot there was a previous standard. That was a long time ago...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So then why are we having this diversion lol? I asked about the "OG" standard and referred to it as ISCG03. Claro, sí?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was gonna offer you and iscg old adapter but that won't help. There's a chance I might have something, I'll check later
Thanks, and yeah, that's the problem. The tabs won't let me use a different adapter. I could go with a BB Mount just fine as well though.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
OneUp?

OneUp said:
*Almost all ISCG03 equipped bikes have threaded BB shells and so are compatible with this guide. Double check you have a threaded BB before ordering.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OneUp?

Oddly this didn't/doesn't show up when I searched the site...just the 05 variant. The direct link works, though.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The OneUp is discontinurated. Blackspire stuff may be the best bet...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The OneUp is discontinurated. Blackspire stuff may be the best bet...
You can try emailing them to see if they have any left.

I have their old chain guide, which they no longer sell the plastic for (lame), but they had some in the warehouse and sent them out.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This, with some Dremel action (32t minimum):

Or this:

Or this:

Or these if you feel dentist enough:

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Can't just get an ISCG adaptor and convert to ISCG05 (new) with that? I think the ISCG05 adapters don't interfere on ISCG OLD

1634020857574.png

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Can't just get an ISCG adaptor and convert to ISCG05 (new) with that? I think the ISCG05 adapters don't interfere on ISCG OLD

View attachment 165905
If that's the case it would be great to know...I read somewhere it wouldn't work, but haven't had the experience to parse that info. I will feel dumb but happy there's an easy solution if fits. My bike knowledge falters from about 2005 to present...that's when I started traveling and basically lived in an MTB time capsule till 2 years ago.

If anyone can confirm/refute, would appreciate.

My newer bikes won't take clamp on guides, either, alas. Seat tube isn't there in the right place for it.

If the ISCG05 adapter doesn't work out, the MRP BB mounts and the Blackspire BB or ISCG03s seem like my best bets so far for something stout, lasting, and available.

Of course, if I could just find a top guide for my MRP G2 I'd be back in biz for my big bike. Couple might be available online; still poking around. Also found 3D printer instructions to recreate one...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Poke around on PB buy/sell there's lots of old guide stuff mixed in with the newer listings.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@Flo33
A narrow wide chainring is not enough for you on a commuter? That's sound like a fun way to commute :rockout:
Hell yeah it is. Why take the fast route if there is a fun route. CX tires on a steel road bike with straight bars work pretty well on not too rooty offroad tracks.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A company called Fifty-Fifty makes some pretty nice chainguides, I bought one that does what you describe (ISCG03 / ISCG-OLD) for an old P-3 frame. I got the upper guide + lower roller + no-bash version. I run different versions on 3 bikes. I prefer it to everything MRP and e.13 has made to date, although I do prefer the e.13 roller wheels (the jockey wheel type, clear stiff rubber) and run those in them. They're light and seem pretty durable, the plastics are also better than the e.13 rubbish that cracks after a while.

The one I bought was the last from that source but if you can find one they do the job well.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
A company called Fifty-Fifty makes some pretty nice chainguides, I bought one that does what you describe (ISCG03 / ISCG-OLD) for an old P-3 frame. I got the upper guide + lower roller + no-bash version. I run different versions on 3 bikes. I prefer it to everything MRP and e.13 has made to date, although I do prefer the e.13 roller wheels (the jockey wheel type, clear stiff rubber) and run those in them. They're light and seem pretty durable, the plastics are also better than the e.13 rubbish that cracks after a while.

The one I bought was the last from that source but if you can find one they do the job well.
This company? Look pretty decent:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Argh, I really want a 28/30t guide tho... Found a bunch of options, including the Mozzarts, at 32t.

Appreciate the feedback; have a few good leads.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Argh, I really want a 28/30t guide tho... Found a bunch of options, including the Mozzarts, at 32t.

Appreciate the feedback; have a few good leads.
so are you just opposed to a bb mounted guide designed for your preferred tooth count?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
No, I'd be fine with BB mount too. Just weighing options right now. BB or ISCG mount top-only guides are readily available in a few types, looks like, and would be fine for the XC bike.

The big bike still presents an issue finding a guide with a lower pulley (again, not 100% essential but my preference) in the smaller tooth count that will mount to the bike by whatever means. I don't see any current BB mount options for this without adapters.