Quantcast

It’s Official…Fontana will host National #1

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
renegade999 said:
has nothing to do with limiting rider talent. has everything to do with paying top dollar to enter a race and not getting a top level venue in return. the ends don't justify the means. if they charged half the regular rate, i'd consider it. you can go. tell me how your backyard pickup truck national was. i'll be at my local lift access hill(s). have a good race run.
Yeah you mean like paying that money every day for a couple hours of practice at a lift assisted national? To me that's not worth it. We'll have to see what the entry fee is, but i know for the normal races there it's well worth the money, and it's say the couple hundred races who are about there every other weekend 3 months pretty much would agree.

It comes down to if you like to race, then your stuck with it. If you don't care if you race or just ride, then you can just hit a nice place and ride. If you think the norba entry fees are bad, check out what it costs to race a triathlon.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
profro said:
Snowshoe is running 4 of its own races this year! :drool:
hmm but idk if a series is worth a 8 + hour drive....

for the nationals yes but not just to do one race of a whole series...heh I'm only 16...

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
gangstamaxx said:
hmm but idk if a series is worth a 8 + hour drive....

for the nationals yes but not just to do one race of a whole series...heh I'm only 16...
It's totally worth it. Riding all day friday, saturday, and sunday until your hands bleed is worth it.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
downhill66 said:
Fontana sucks sooo bad!!! its mostly flat. and in norba???? thats ****ed up. XC's the only thing that should be their!

...and you'll be missed:rolleyes:

nice to see that once again any bit of possitive news brings out the best in all the self entitled, whining b!otches of MTBing.....nice work!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
offtheedge said:

nice to see that once again any bit of possitive news brings out the best in all the self entitled, whining b!otches of MTBing.....nice work!
Ya, cuz fontana is such a fantastic place for a mountain bike national event. It must have the same terrain and atmosphere as places like Mt Snow, Big Bear and Park City.
:dead:

Please explain how, besides the presumed absence of TBB, is this positive news? YEAH! they added a mediocre at best venue to a dilapidated series trying to cram in too many events. Some people just call a spade, a spade.

Quality, not quantity.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Transcend said:
Ya, cuz fontana is such a fantastic place for a mountain bike national event. It must have the same terrain and atmosphere as places like Mt Snow, Big Bear and Park City.

Please explain how, besides the presumed absence of TBB, is this positive news? YEAH! they added a mediocre at best venue to a dilapidated series trying to cram in too many events.

Quality, not quantity.

True.......

But i look at it this way:

1. It's a place to race. Which we're running out of here in Cali.

2. Even "back in the day" we had small hills that put on fun races. Helen, GA; Traverse City, GA; Alpine Valley, WI. Hell we even had some in Indiana on a tiny hill.

I do think quality is better than quantity, but I don't think it's the course alone that lends the quality, the atmosphere that does it. So i say give the new places a chance, you never know.

I know donnie trys to give everyone good bang for thier buck, and i don't think he needs to put on a national. I think he did it cause he thought he could give people a good race weekend. Lets not forget he's a paying NORBA racer himself, who goes the other nationals to race and see's what they're like.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I wonder what attendance will like at a National so close to a huge riding population? Spectators and racers, alike. Fontana is definately not the most glamorous venue, but if you get over that point there are a lot of positives about having an important race so close to LA.

And for the course, you could make a sick mid 3minute DH track that didn't have the wall.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
offtheedge said:

Yeah, I could add more of a warranty to a box of sh1t, but that does not make the sh1t any cooler...
or something like that (watching too many tommy boy reruns).

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Zutroy said:
True.......

But i look at it this way:

1. It's a place to race. Which we're running out of here in Cali.

2. Even "back in the day" we had small hills that put on fun races. Helen, GA; Traverse City, GA; Alpine Valley, WI. Hell we even had some in Indiana on a tiny hill.

I do think quality is better than quantity, but I don't think it's the course alone that lends the quality, the atmosphere that does it. So i say give the new places a chance, you never know.

I know donnie trys to give everyone good bang for thier buck, and i don't think he needs to put on a national. I think he did it cause he thought he could give people a good race weekend. Lets not forget he's a paying NORBA racer himself, who goes the other nationals to race and see's what they're like.
Helen Ga., Traverse City, and Alpine Valley were ALL in nice, quaint towns, with some heart and soul. Have you been to Fontana? Its like a ghetto in the desert....SO let say the series has a marquee sponsor and they decide they are going to goto an event outside the L.A. area, those suits will be horrified at the canvas MTBing is being painted on.

Fontana, the birthplace of Travis from Blink 182, need I say more?
;-)

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
stiksandstones said:
Yeah, I could add more of a warranty to a box of sh1t, but that does not make the sh1t any cooler...
or something like that (watching too many tommy boy reruns).

Now come on stik you got to admit if donnie can make a national like the Fall race, it's going to he a huge step up for the racers.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
stiksandstones said:
Helen Ga., Traverse City, and Alpine Valley were ALL in nice, quaint towns, with some heart and soul. Have you been to Fontana? Its like a ghetto in the desert....SO let say the series has a marquee sponsor and they decide they are going to goto an event outside the L.A. area, those suits will be horrified at the canvas MTBing is being painted on.

Fontana, the birthplace of Travis from Blink 182, need I say more?
;-)

NASCAR, and IRL don't seem to have a problem racing there. And yeah I'm there every race.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Zutroy said:
Now come on stik you got to admit if donnie can make a national like the Fall race, it's going to he a huge step up for the racers.
It is not my lack of confidence of Donnie, I would elect him to put on a series before anyone right now, it is the venue I am worried about. Race would be better off in san dimas, mt baldy, sagebrush safari, not fontana-sh1t town, sh1t terrain.
Makes for a nice, fun BBQ atmosphere in the winter race, not a summertime national.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Zutroy said:
NASCAR, and IRL don't seem to have a problem racing there. And yeah I'm there every race.
You do know how much these teams are paid to COME to fontana right?

Who is paying the MTB teams to come to tucky?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Not to mention to drive up the DH track and 4X you have to drive through peoples friggin neighborhood, I am having a hard time believing the city council approved this debacle.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
stiksandstones said:
You do know how much these teams are paid to COME to fontana right?

Who is paying the MTB teams to come to tucky?

NASCAR race in the hood (2 times a year) to get exposure in the market.

SOCAL is one of if not still the largest market for NORBA, from marketing standpoint they need the exposure, and I'm. Is Fontana ideal, NO, but it's what we got at the moment.

I'm sure NASCAR would perfer to be somplace nicer too, but they built the track there, so they're stuck with it.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Transcend said:

Please explain how, besides the presumed absence of TBB, is this positive news? YEAH! they added a mediocre at best venue to a dilapidated series trying to cram in too many events. Some people just call a spade, a spade.

Quality, not quantity.

1st.....bringing a national to fontana will at the very least bring a lot of revenue and course work to a "mediocre at best venue". and this sucks how?

2nd....seeing as southern california only play's home to, oh lets say 13, 14 million people a venue 2 or 3 hours from everywhere will generate much needed support for the sport and a venue for the locals to race. not everyone is in a points chase. some of us just want to race.

I'm by no means a fan of Norba or a seasoned racer, but seeing as how our options are limited who's got a better offer?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
offtheedge said:
1st.....bringing a national to fontana will at the very least bring a lot of revenue and course work to a "mediocre at best venue". and this sucks how?

2nd....seeing as southern california only play's home to, oh lets say 13, 14 million people a venue 2 or 3 hours from everywhere will generate much needed support for the sport and a venue for the locals to race. not everyone is in a points chase. some of us just want to race.

I'm by no means a fan of Norba or a seasoned racer, but seeing as how our options are limited who's got a better offer?
Like i said, quality, not quantity. I have raced for 10 years - I just can't see this being a good move. Sure the promoter is great, but the course isn't the best, and the venue is, as somsone else put it, "a toilet".

NORBA doesnt understand that a huge city nearby means NOTHING. ZERO. ZILCH.

Nascar comes to town as they have a multi million dollar facility there, so no choice. Last I heard, USA Cycling didn't build a multi million dollar facility anywhere.

As a local venue, I am sure it is fantastic. As a national, it doesn't cut it, sorry.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Transcend said:
Like i said, quality, not quantity. I have raced for 10 years - I just can't see this being a good move. Sure the promoter is great, but the course isn't the best, and the venue is, as somsone else put it, "a toilet".

NORBA doesnt understand that a huge city nearby means NOTHING. ZERO. ZILCH.

As a local venue, I am sure it is fantastic. As a national, it doesn't cut it, sorry.

The area around the course isen't that bad. It's actually a nice little neighborhood.

In all reality who cares if it works, the series is all F'ed up and not worth a crap anyways. Teams are no showing up. It's not really a "national" series anymore. So it's not like your really dragging it down.

But if it does turn out well, then you gained.

So what ya have to lose in the long run?

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
the venue is a huge tree covered park as opposed to a ski resort parking lot. i don't see this as a regression. fontana races have a better vibe than any of the resort nationals i have been to.

"In all reality who cares if it works, the series is all F'ed up and not worth a crap anyways. Teams are no showing up. It's not really a "national" series anymore. So it's not like your really dragging it down".

Exactly!

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
IMO, I think its an OK place to have a race, donnie will make it good, I am a bit worried about the 4x though, it might really suck unless they make it in a new place, the vibe at fontana is great, and its not that sh*ty of a town where the park is. but not to worry, donnie will figure out a shuttle situation, and most likely have a nice course

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
If Fontana was replacing a better venue, then I can understand why someone would complain. But it sounds like there is really no other choice. Seriously, where else can a gravity race be held in early May?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
ChrisKring said:
Perfect, isn't he married to that chick from Pacific Blue? :)
Yeah, Shana Barker, the chick who married Oscar DeLahoya, had his baby and sued him in divorce for 65 million dollars, now she just had a kid with Travis, she is a gem. (derail)

As for tucky', there are dozens of 'better' locations in southern california...but no one with any real motivation is willing to make it happen. Ah hell, you all have me convinced, this is great news that there is a national in fontucky (wait, weather report just came in....Yes, Hell has frozen over).

I heard the next stop is a national at a walmart in Farmington New Mexico.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
merrrrjig said:
Where are some better places in so cal?
Castaic, Temecula, Sagebrush safari, san dimas, mt baldy, snow valley, bear mountain, green valley, palm springs, idylwild, mt. high, julian, mexico, malibu, laguna, camp pendleton, griffith park, gorman, cathedral city, Augora...
Just to name a few places where races have been held before. I am over and out on this debate-its been fun.

Tonic

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
Seattle, WA
Anyone know if you can still drop one race from the NORBA series like they did last year? The Brian Head race conflicts with Crankworx, again.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
stiksandstones said:
Castaic, Temecula, Sagebrush safari, san dimas, mt baldy, snow valley, bear mountain, green valley, palm springs, idylwild, mt. high, julian, mexico, malibu, laguna, camp pendleton, griffith park, gorman, cathedral city, Augora...
Just to name a few places where races have been held before. I am over and out on this debate-its been fun.
There hasn't been a DH race at half those spots and the other half are illegal and or won't allow riding. C'mon now, you could have at least said something like "they should just double up on Mammoth or N*":)

Anyways whats the big deal? SO it's at Fontana! Cool. That means it's closer to home for most of us. Whats not to like. As for the terrain. Well it's isn't much more than a big rocky hill, but it has the potential for a lot of technical riding. Lets not forget that our beloved Fontana races usually start half way up the "Mountain." There is much more area back there that could lend it self to some very nice riding. It should be a good race.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ncrider said:
There hasn't been a DH race at half those spots and the other half are illegal and or won't allow riding. C'mon now, you could have at least said something like "they should just double up on Mammoth or N*":)

Anyways whats the big deal? SO it's at Fontana! Cool. That means it's closer to home for most of us. Whats not to like. As for the terrain. Well it's isn't much more than a big rocky hill, but it has the potential for a lot of technical riding. Lets not forget that our beloved Fontana races usually start half way up the "Mountain." There is much more area back there that could lend it self to some very nice riding. It should be a good race.
You said it nicer than I would have.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Bitch bitch bitch! I want to point out a few positives:

1) 2 day Norba events (less Thursdays and Fridays requested off work)
2) More DS races

See you at Fontana, DV, Sonoma, BH and Mammoth..

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
biker3 said:
This sucks, Everyone else besides the Cali kids will be far from being out of school so it basically counts us out. May 5th WTF?

I don't even thing the kids here will be out. It's better than the April date.