Quantcast

job dilemma

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
alright, I need to bounce some questions off of some of you folk about a dilemma I am having about my job situation

I have been unemployed since May of 09, recently, I took a drafting job with a temp service for a company, that for all I can tell, intends to hire me direct at the end of 90 days. I like the people I work with, the job is easy enough that I don't have to stress pairing it up with class work so I can complete my engineering degree & it's pretty laid back..... save one small issue. We are required to wear a shirt & tie every day. Now I know this doesnt sound like such a big deal to some of you but just bear with me.

I got a call back from another company here in town, went in for the 1st interview, liked what I saw, it too would be really laid back, good pairing with the whole schoolwork thing, aaaaaand, they wear jeans & shorts & **** to work. Well, now I got the call back for the 2nd interview, it's today at 430 pm. The way the engineering manager talked in the 1st interview, was such that, they would call back the top candidate, have them meet the rest of the engineering team, do a SolidWorks proficiency test & basically see if the person (me, in this instance) clicked with the rest of the team.

So, saying all that, here's my (somewhat ethical to me) dilemma......if offered the 2nd job, do I simply tell the staffing service my intent to leave? Talk with the shirt & tie managers & explain the situation & get more $$ & direct hire out of them?

oh, both pay nearly the same.......so, any input/ideas would help me in how to handle this small situation I am facing............

much grass

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
What is wrong with you people??? There is no ethical dilemma! It's business. You quit for a better job. Big deal!

I had one of my guys quit recently. It hurt. But there's no hard feelings. It was a better gig for him. I still email with him. He's a good guy. I'd take him back if he wanted to return. Why are there so many threads about people agonizing over improving their lives?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I can't belive I'm going to say this but....I'm with MMike on this one. Go for the interview! See how you click with the other group and make an informed decision that is what's right for you. Temp agencies know they have turnover and it's just business...do what's right for you!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
You are working for a temp service though right? You leave for the permanent gig that you already know is the better fit for you. You aren't going to get more money from the 1st company. You have no leverage. Serve 2 weeks notice if it makes you feel better.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is nothing wrong with negotiating for your next job.

After you get an offer from the second job, talk to the first and be honest and nice, and see what they say.

If the first job wanted to hire you, they still will, but they might sweeten the pot in someway.

Ultimately, you have to decide over pay, stability, and work environment. I personally would choose stability over the other two, but that's your call.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What is wrong with you people??? There is no ethical dilemma! It's business. You quit for a better job. Big deal!

I had one of my guys quit recently. It hurt. But there's no hard feelings. It was a better gig for him. I still email with him. He's a good guy. I'd take him back if he wanted to return. Why are there so many threads about people agonizing over improving their lives?
americans are pussies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm in a temporary position myself right now (full time non-permanent). So I can relate.

Do the interview. Unless you've signed something stating your intent to stay with the company you're currently located, you can go wherever you want.

That being said, if you get an offer from the outside company but would prefer to stay where you are, speaker to your supervisor. Explain you have an offer from an outside company, but you haven't accepted yet. Let him know that you'd prefer to stay and become a permanent FT employee, but that you're ready to jump ship if nothing is going to become available - that is, don't pass on the outside offer unless you get something in writing about a permanent spot where you are.

That being said - and getting back to where I'm currently at - my boss knows I'm looking. He's told me that they'd love to bring me on as full time permanent (not through a contract agency), but there are no open positions, and non are expected to open up prior to the end of my contract (where I work, there are MANY people who have been here in excess of 30 years, so people are here for the long haul of their career but in a good way). They're also very willing to give me recommendations for another position because they know it will keep me in the industry, so that sometime in the future if something opens up with my current employer I would consider coming back.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
In addition if you leave your current Temp place on good terms you could tell actual employer (Company A)to give you a call if they ever have a need in the future. That way you build a bridge and if things dont work out you could go back to Company A and save them the 10-30% fee they would have to pay the Temp agency to convert you to a full time employee.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Temp job which MAY hire you after 90 days, with no paperwork stating any such thing vs. gainful full-time employment...gee, tough decision.

Do not ever take a temp-to-hire job real seriously because, guess what, they obviously don't take you too seriously.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Every temp position has the potential to become permanent but few do - my only comment is that you seem satisfied with a job that's "easy enough" and don't really know what you're looking for. A job that was easy enough would kill me.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I think the operative word is may hire you. Take the first permanent offer that makes sense to you. Though with the way things are I would be very careful about burning any bridges. You never know when you may need them.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Every temp position has the potential to become permanent but few do - my only comment is that you seem satisfied with a job that's "easy enough" and don't really know what you're looking for. A job that was easy enough would kill me.
well, the 'easy enough' part of the job pairs with finishing my mechanical engineering degree, so no, I wouldn't want to take on a job doing analysis(?) of carbon nano tube structures or anything, & yes, once school is done, I'm like you, an 'easy enough' job would drive me batty

*UPDATE*
the interview went really well, the engineering team & I seemed to hit it off pretty well and the remainder of the interview went great (from my perspective anyway) & this looks like it will be a great fit for me. I will know something by Monday. Cross your collective monkey fingers (& toes) for me.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
cooter werent you the one who also worked for SLB?

i got laid off last march and have been in a temp position ever since. Id take the sure thing in a heart beat. Just be upfront with the current employer once you get an offer, maybe theyll give you an offer as well, and youll have a choice.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
did you ever end up in the field? i know things in bradford PA are ramping up, they recently hired 9 operators not sure if theyre looking for shooters/engineers though.

having said that i dont miss the field life at all.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Nah, never was in the field, I was at the Bartlesville & Lawrence Product Centers, Artificial Lift Segment designing, building & testing ESPs, motors, protectors & potheads & some REDACoil work too

cool stuff

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
ah nevermind then. you dont want to go the field route anyways unless you get to work overseas. and i heard REDA field work was pretty terrible.