Quantcast

Job interview tomorrow: Jacket or no jacket?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been working for the last couple years and going to school. Kind of interesting how it works. I get paid as a researcher, but some of the research I do counts as my masters thesis work. Im funded by the govt. to do the work, and the university waives any tuition for grad classes. So basically Im on a contract that syncs up with my grad degree program, which ends in may. Im in the final edits of my masters thesis now, and I'll have to defend that this spring, but so far it's all been good.
So technically, this will be my first job post grad school, but not my first job since graduating with a BS.
Well, I recall you talking about working for the department and getting school paid for in the process (that's awesome, wish I could have done that). But it's good to hear that you have something lined up and you aren't quite done with stuff.

Make sure you pepper in the phrase "suck it" during your thesis, it shows gusto.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
There's only one chance to make that first impression so, if you really want the job, go all out. Black suit without dog hair, white shirt that has been ironed & red striped tie. Wear red socks if you want to be a rebel.
I disagree... BLUE suit with a white shirt and red tie, though Yellow works as well.

Black says "This is my funeral suit".

That is for the 1st interview. 2nd interview is Khaki's with a button-down and blazer (assuming you looked around on the 1st interview and work place attire there isn't a suit)

3rd interview - Birthday suit:shocked:

:thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Sorry, I just assumed Burly dressed econo. Most guys only have one suit; its black and suitable for job interviews, weddings and funerals...

I disagree... BLUE suit with a white shirt and red tie, though Yellow works as well.

Black says "This is my funeral suit".

That is for the 1st interview. 2nd interview is Khaki's with a button-down and blazer (assuming you looked around on the 1st interview and work place attire there isn't a suit)

3rd interview - Birthday suit:shocked:

:thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sorry, I just assumed Burly dressed econo. Most guys only have one suit; its black and suitable for job interviews, weddings and funerals...
Well I have 2.5 or 3 suits actually (wore one to a GWAR concert, not sure of its current viability) in black, gray and somewhere between black and gray. As well as lots of nice shirts and ties. I actually am not so much of a slob.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Being overdressed in an interview is not possible.
Not true at all. The first words out of the interviewer's mouth when I walked into an interview at a design agency was that I was over dressed.

It's highly industry dependent, and also somewhat related to geography (East coast tends to be more formal than West coast). I've known a few people in design and other creative industries who have said that showing up in a suit is instant disqualification.

I didn't get an offer for the job above. It probably wasn't the fault of the suit, but it certainly didn't get things off to a good start.