For $30's
(it's a fox shocks pump)

and I was looking at these

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Echo
I've found the Hutchinson tubeless tires to have great traction but they wear very fast.
Yeah they seem to have low profile "nubs" and soft rubber.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Westy
Good tires but they pack up in the mud. they are my dry season choice. When things are wet I use the Mosquitos
I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking to buy. I just kind of want a good all around tire.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've found the Hutchinson tubeless tires to have great traction but they wear very fast.
I'll second that. Great tires when they are new, but they wear out faster than a $5 pair of jeans.

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
Pythons would have to be my all time favourite tire.
IMO, they're absolutely awesome for most conditions.
Quite light, roll very very fast at low pressure, have got mega climbing grip (for me anyway) and are very predictable at speed

They do pack up in mud, but most tires do to an extent. If you go faster, the mud flings off :)

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I just love Panaracer fire xc pro and I always recommend them!

Your bike did not come with the pump? I thought that every fox shox equip bike came with it!

BTW :stosh: at what setting are you using your ava shox for the srping rate? (size of air chamber?)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Ok I’m back. I'm going in with Devy on this one for several reasons.
Panaracer fire XC pro's are the best all around tire i have ridden, and believe me I’m trying to find the best. They hook up well in ALL conditions and last forever.
Good - Awesome sidewall construction reduces pinch flats. Thick all around which reduces likely hood of punctures and pinch flats.
Knobs, Knobs and more Knobs. They hook up in corners on hard terrain, in sandy terrain and wet if you do it right. I could go on but I’m not going to. They’re cheap.
Bad (racer boi point of view) - Little on the heavy side. Rolling resistance is noticeable. That's about it. I cant think of any "normal" rider negatives.

Pythons:
Good - Fast, Low rolling resistance. Grippy in hard pack dirt and rocks. Light. Fairly cheap.
Bad - They get very loose in sandy conditions, wear easily and don’t handle wet/mud very well. Thin and pinch flat easy.

Summation:
Fire Xc pro's - Excellent all around tire.
Pythons - Excellent race day tires in the "right" conditions.

a little while later i'll do a write up for Maxxis Mimo's and TT's.
t

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by The Toninator
Panaracer fire XC pro's are the best all around tire i have ridden, and believe me I’m trying to find the best. They hook up well in ALL conditions and last forever.
Good - Awesome sidewall construction reduces pinch flats. Thick all around which reduces likely hood of punctures and pinch flats.
Knobs, Knobs and more Knobs. They hook up in corners on hard terrain, in sandy terrain and wet if you do it right. I could go on but I’m not going to. They’re cheap.
Bad (racer boi point of view) - Little on the heavy side. Rolling resistance is noticeable. That's about it. I cant think of any "normal" rider negatives.

Pythons:
Good - Fast, Low rolling resistance. Grippy in hard pack dirt and rocks. Light. Fairly cheap.
Bad - They get very loose in sandy conditions, wear easily and don’t handle wet/mud very well. Thin and pinch flat easy.

Summation:

t
I have the TT's and I don't like them I guess I'm going to go with the Fire XC pros. I had them on my last bike and liked them for all the reasons you just mentioned.

I'm just looking at everything thats out there though.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by stosh
I have the TT's and I don't like them I guess I'm going to go with the Fire XC pros. I had them on my last bike and liked them for all the reasons you just mentioned.

I'm just looking at everything thats out there though.
tell me about the TT's, what dont you like?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
tell me about the TT's, what dont you like?

Don't shed mud
No climbing traction
IMO they have the tread totally backwards at least on the back tire. I haven't had a chance to flip the rear tire and try it yet but the whole mud shed problem this time of year is making me think I should just get new tires.

They seem to corner well in hard pack, not that I have much of that around here.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Don't shed mud
No climbing traction
IMO they have the tread totally backwards at least on the back tire. I haven't had a chance to flip the rear tire and try it yet but the whole mud shed problem this time of year is making me think I should just get new tires.

They seem to corner well in hard pack, not that I have much of that around here.
Let me get this straight; you're riding a non mud tire as in the TT in mud? Bright, very Bright.

If you're going to be riding in mud, get a pair of Swampthings.
http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=35

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Pythons:

Summation:

man you are thick headed. if we are talikng XC tires light and low rolling resistance are the most important characteristics to consider.

I have been running the SAME pair of pythons since october 1999 at pressure varying from 19-28 psi (low enough to bottom out the tire on the rim) I have never had a single pinchflat with them. I race on them in every conditon immaginable excluding clay type mud. Pythons are the very best sand tire i have ever used, the combination of the supple, well constructed casing and high volume, in combination with the intelligent tread design yeilds a tire that is neutral in loose conditons with an extremley predictable and consistent breaking point.

When i was sponsored by Tioga i went through great lengths to disguise my tires.

it may just be that you need your fire xc tractor tires to make up for a lack of technical ability...:devil:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
man you are thick headed. if we are talikng XC tires light and low rolling resistance are the most important characteristics to consider.

I have been running the SAME pair of pythons since october 1999 at pressure varying from 19-28 psi (low enough to bottom out the tire on the rim) I have never had a single pinchflat with them. I race on them in every conditon immaginable excluding clay type mud. Pythons are the very best sand tire i have ever used, the combination of the supple, well constructed casing and high volume, in combination with the intelligent tread design yeilds a tire that is neutral in loose conditons with an extremley predictable and consistent breaking point.

When i was sponsored by Tioga i went through great lengths to disguise my tires.

it may just be that you need your fire xc tractor tires to make up for a lack of technical ability...:devil:

Yeah an compare the price of the Maxxis tires to the Pythons, I might try the Pythons.

I guess the thing I'm looking for the MOST is good rear tire traction in loose gravel.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Don't shed mud
No climbing traction

stosh DONT flip them around you wont be able to stop. The ramp on the knobs is there to recude rolling resistance. if you climb seated or with your ass over the rear you should not have a problem climbing.
t

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yeah an compare the price of the Maxxis tires to the Pythons, I might try the Pythons.

I guess the thing I'm looking for the MOST is good rear tire traction in loose gravel.
try a yamaha 125 ttr, or alternatiely a mtb tire with large widely spaced paddle type nobs. Soemthing like a conti comp. pro 2, or velociraptor.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Maybe if you are a speed conscious weight weenie racer, but the average recreational rider is less concerned with weight and mostly concerned with performance.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Yossarian
Maybe if you are a speed conscious weight weenie racer, but the average recreational rider is less concerned with weight and mostly concerned with performance.
last time i checked weight+rolling resistance+"traction"= performance.
So when it comes to climbing or riding on level ground, weight and rolling resistance would be of the utmost import.

An elementary physics textbook will tell you that a najority of your energy loss in cycling comes from fluid resistance, then rolling resistane and then negligible losses due to drivetrain friction.

Because of the slower and highly variable speeds of XC riding, the aerodynamic componet, while important, is of tertiary import to rolling resistance (weight is a factor of in the determination thereof) and weight.
Additonaly a high-volume low pressure tire will reduce mechanical losses in in power transmission by deforming more readily to the trail surface instead of bouncing off the ground. A tire, like the python which is designed to take that principle into mind can disaply both low rolling resisntance characteristics and use the increased "contact patch" of the tire as one big knob for excellant traction.

Lightweight and low rolling resistance should be important to all cyclists when choosing tyres.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Lightweight and low rolling resistance should be important to all cyclists when choosing tyres.
I just bought 1300g tires for my FR bike. Traction and pinch flat resistance were the most important factors when choosing tires. Lightweight and low rolling resistance??? I could care less.

Just because you think one tire is the best, doesn't necessarily mean they work for everyone.

Stosh, get a versatile tire with some nice knobs and generous spacing.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
I just bought 1300g tires for my FR bike. Traction and pinch flat resistance were the most important factors when choosing tires. Lightweight and low rolling resistance??? I could care less.
Dude, come on. You know freeriders, BMX riders, and downhillers aren't really cyclists :rolleyes:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dude, come on. You know freeriders, BMX riders, and downhillers aren't really cyclists :rolleyes:
Even dh and bmx racers take weight in rolling resistance into account. Why do you think stans, semi slick tires and hookworms are blowing up all of a sudden? why do bmxers use 1.85 rear tires? Why does Taj ride a ti T1?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So let's sum up what's happened so far...

Stosh asked about good tires for trail riding. He doesn't race. You recommend lightweight racing tires. Other people who actually paid attention and understood the question recommended tires which work well for them. You called them thick headed and said lightweight racing tires are ideal for all cyclists. A couple people called you out on that silly ass comment. You assumed that everyone that rides downhill and BMX is a top level racer, and ignored freeride, park, urban, trials, and every other form of cycling.

I think that about brings us up to the present :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

Stosh asked about good tires for trail riding. He doesn't race. You recommend lightweight racing tires. Other people who actually paid attention and understood the question recommended tires which work well for them. You called them thick headed and said lightweight racing tires are ideal for all cyclists. A couple people called you out on that silly ass comment. You assumed that everyone that rides downhill and BMX is a top level racer, and ignored freeride, park, urban, trials, and every other form of cycling.

BURN!!!!!

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal

don't let the happy face avatar fool you, Echo is a killing machine:dead: :devil: watch out! hehe good one echo!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

And to think I was just excited about getting some stuff at my LBS YESTERDAY.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

1. i recommended velociraptors for deep gravel.
2. What makes something a "race tire"? pythons are light, durable, hook up extremly well and are extremelycheap.
3. Trials riders are the biggest weight weenies on earth.
4. i reccomended tires that work well for me.
5. when choosing betwen two objects of equal quality or design lighter is always better.