Quantcast

Just ordered my Plasma TV on monday!!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
seriously though, back to the surround sound, what is the drawback to not using it for TV viewing?

smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Most of the time that I'm watching TV, I don't need that much sound. The very compressed dynamic range that comes out of the crappy TV speakers is actually ideal for watching TV quietly where you just need to understand the announcer and don't need to hear people clapping and cheering behind you, underneath you, etc.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so do you adjust yr color balance to B&W too?

:disgust1:

btw, if the sounds of people clapping in, around, under or through you bothers you, turn off Dr Phil.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What does that have to do with anything?

The picture is the primary thing you're watching. You want detail in the picture, I could give a crap about hearing crisply defined fan screaming in the background. I don't watch much "immersive" TV. If I were watching a movie, sure.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
A $255 remote? BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh dear.

You can get plenty of Rf remotes in the $50-$99 range that get great reviews. Hell you can get some great ones for under $30.

9 devices, rf or ir. $16. Great reviews from actual users.
http://www.epinions.com/pr-One_For_All_URC-8910_Remote_Control_1/display_~full_specs
I need one to take the place of 8 remotes, plus it's in another room. I have a cool Memorex one that I got 8 years ago, but I could never figure out how to operate the damn thing. The new remote must be easy to fly.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I need one to take the place of 8 remotes, plus it's in another room. I have a cool Memorex one that I got 8 years ago, but I could never figure out how to operate the damn thing. The new remote must be easy to fly.
Well that one I linked does 9-12 devices, is Rf so walls will be fine, and it can learn what it needs to do or something (I have no idea how this works over RF). Some of the newer ones are ridiculously complicated, and some are drop dead simple.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well that one I linked does 9-12 devices, is Rf so walls will be fine, and it can learn what it needs to do or something (I have no idea how this works over RF). Some of the newer ones are ridiculously complicated, and some are drop dead simple.
I'll have to start researching them. Off to Best Buy & Socket Circus this weekend I guess.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'll have to start researching them. Off to Best Buy & Socket Circus this weekend I guess.
Best bet will definately try some if you can. The sony one i was given ages ago with a tv is awesome (remote commander). Another one i have that was given to me is the most convoluted remote on the face of the earth, and getting it programmed is a friggin nightmare.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
brian, i was very close to pulling the trigger on that same unit, but the silver bezel was an aesthetic affront to me.

btw, what's the difference between the 60 and 600?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
brian, i was very close to pulling the trigger on that same unit, but the silver bezel was an aesthetic affront to me.

btw, what's the difference between the 60 and 600?
The 600 has a few more bells and whistles, the 600 looks a little cleaner.
Here a link to the website. I'm not a big fan of the silver, but I rather have the better picture than the prettier bezel.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelList?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGroupId=24973&orderBy=recommended&surfCategory=Plasma TVs&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Two HD plasmas brands for the thrifty:

Maxent
Samsung

I have a friend who owns a high def advertising business where he places HD plasma tv's in mall/gyms/other high traffic areas and he uses Maxent tv's. He has no burn-in problems at all.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
The 600 has a few more bells and whistles, the 600 looks a little cleaner.
Here a link to the website. I'm not a big fan of the silver, but I rather have the better picture than the prettier bezel.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelList?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGroupId=24973&orderBy=recommended&surfCategory=Plasma TVs&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

looks like the $500 difference boils down to this (600 vs 60):
View Digital Programming Without A Cable Box
Panasonic plasma HDTVs with CableCARD slots can accept a small card that allows you to receive standard definition and high definition digital broadcasts. No bulky set-top cable box—perfect for a wall-mounted plasma TV. Contact your cable company to find out if they offer this service in your area.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so what sort of additional things does one need:

- new cable box (assuming, unless you are using DirecTV or the like)
- HDMI cables (stores seem like they gouge the hell out of you for these); do you just need one for the cable input? my oldish DVD player doesn't support this output, i am guessing.
- anything else?

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
lucky man, i didnt realize the glory of HDTV until i figured out mine was (23" Dell LCD) it makes all my 360 games look even more kick ass then they already do. horray for HD.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Plus what will end up happening is they'll change the card size and you'll be SOL with using the card slot.
Ya, that too. Gotta love planned obsolescence. HD tv rules in any case, and you will certainly enjoy it. I am still trying to get my damn antenna up and running, been too busy this week to get up there and sort out the motor.