Quantcast

***Le Tuesderp***

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Had done 12 rides in 11 days, I skipped riding today, went with my niece and nephew to the movies then for a bush walk.
Riding with a mate I haven't ridden with for at least a year tomorrow morning.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
At the office. Candidate interview shortly. Been searching for somebody since May and have had to people hired that did not work out. Very frustrating.
Over here it is very much the employees' market, I have never seen the poaching of employees that is going on now.
I sent our boss lady a text asking if she can record this for our new guy-
I am a pretty basic human so I usually go alright at teaching someone how to do something without telling them loads of irrelevant BS, can't teach the new guy though, he agrees/nods like he understands but takes in nothing.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Nice day before all shit breaks loose. Starting tonight another big storm is going to come in, with more rain and high wind. They have posted flood and high wind warnings already. Methinks I shall go fill the gas cans for the generator this afternoon. In the meantime espresso then off to work.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Over here it is very much the employees' market, I have never seen the poaching of employees that is going on now.
I sent our boss lady a text asking if she can record this for our new guy-
I am a pretty basic human so I usually go alright at teaching someone how to do something without telling them loads of irrelevant BS, can't teach the new guy though, he agrees/nods like he understands but takes in nothing.
This candidate first said he had a really high salary. Then we said with the level we are not interested. Then all of a sudden salary requirement was considerable lower. Then he had several jobs on his hands and we said sorry we need more interviews. Then there were no job offers. Today confirmed the person is not somebody I would hire.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Well, sounds like everyone's 2023 is off to an awesome start. Back at work today, so:

FTS
:stosh:
I should go back to bed
Etc., etc.

In other news, I'm thinking about picking up small packs my older daughters (9 and 11) for day hikes. Something big enough for water and some food, decent enough quality to last them awhile. Maybe a small camelbak? Any suggestions from teh Monkey?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Well, sounds like everyone's 2023 is off to an awesome start. Back at work today, so:

FTS
I should go back to bed
Etc., etc.

In other news, I'm thinking about picking up small packs my older daughters (9 and 11) for day hikes. Something big enough for water and some food, decent enough quality to last them awhile. Maybe a small camelbak? Any suggestions from teh Monkey?
I'm a big fan of Osprey and own a bunch of their packs. They've always carried weight comfortably and had good bladders.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

FTS
I should go back to bed
Etc., etc.

Plenty of small 50oz CB's to choose from for kids iirc, my SIL bought a bunch for their girls for skiing.

edit:
These would be @StiHacka approved versions:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Well shit. The rain last night was the last straw for some major routes I use. Two roads are buried under tons of mud. One highway is 8 feet under water and another major Blvd slid into a canyon. I can't wait to see how fucked up the roads will be in tomorrow's storm.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well shit. The rain last night was the last straw for some major routes I use. Two roads are buried under tons of mud. One highway is 8 feet under water and another major Blvd slid into a canyon. I can't wait to see how fucked up the roads will be in tomorrow's storm.
It's fine. Looks like we have some moisture in the forecast to wash it away :rofl:

qpfjan4.JPG

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Hello sunshines! Your optimism brings warmth to my heart. :rolleyes:

Went out with the pups to packed down a steep bit of trail. Should be fun once it freezes.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yes

but I think the bigger issue is that the central valley of the state might actually fill up and become a lake
A couple of years ago I worked on a project for SAFCA (Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency) and was really shocked to learn how vulnerable the entire areas is to catastrophic flooding. In case of emergency, the Sac River and American Rivers would basically dump into the farmland to the west and south, via the ship canal and the Sac Weir.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A couple of years ago I worked on a project for SAFCA (Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency) and was really shocked to learn how vulnerable the entire areas is to catastrophic flooding. In case of emergency, the Sac River and American Rivers would basically dump into the farmland to the west and south, via the ship canal and the Sac Weir.
Yep. That's a little bit by design (lots of rice fields there). But only to a point.

You probably also saw that the earthen dykes meant to attenuate peaks and retain water for a few days are like swiss cheese with rodent holes. I don't know what the current state of repair is but we might find out soon.

The oroville dam and spillway worked fine so I'm sure this will too.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
"Some" being the key word.

We've drained so much water out of there that will likely never recover. In a lot of places the aquifers themselves have collapsed (check out "central valley subsidence" if you haven't seen anything on it).
Yeah - I'd heard that farmers were sucking those things dry.

When the weather hands you lemons, though... might as well make a batch of John Daly's, amirite??