Quantcast

Leatt Braces... someone had to say it

race-it

Chimp
Sep 25, 2011
Had a Leatt when they first came out. The first post here mentions that riders performance is affected by the brace. Maby as the brace was first made for MX and not for DH that is why.

When i went to look a the Leatt DH version i could see no difference to the MX one i had so did not buy one. Seems like they put a new name on and perhaps some thinner padding. Are there any differences?

Saw they launched some new DH ones at Interbike, has anybody tried one of those?

As mentioned on another thread there are some new braces from new manufactures coming out, Atlas Brace and Nexis Brace. Will take a look at those then they are available.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
A neck brace isn't the solution to the above pic....surely that was caused by the Mallets spontaneously combusting and chucking the rider onto his head. :D

On a separate note, I wear a Leatt brace. It seems highly likely to help avoid a potentially disastrous injury without really any downside, imo, other than the cash to buy it.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
I race moto, and also moto quads, and started wearing the Leatt brace, and quickly ditched it. My lap times were slower, my comfort level was down, I just didnt dig it.

The way I look at it is, I know the risks in riding and racing, and I accept that. I also look at it like a numbers game. How many people ride or race, and how many have had paralyzing, or fatal injuries. I'll keep taking my chances. I've had a friend of mine(Jeremy Lusk) die from a moto neck injury so the idea of it has hit close to home. Maybe Im just stubborn, but Im not a fan of the brace. Maybe something more comfortable will come along.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Have you tried the alpinestars brace? It's not as restrictive, might be a happy compromise.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've been using custom (self made ;) ) rubber band "armpit" style harness for at least a year. Perfect solution IMO. Easy to use. Much better chest/back aifflow. Much, much better look ;>

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I race moto, and also moto quads, and started wearing the Leatt brace, and quickly ditched it. My lap times were slower, my comfort level was down, I just didnt dig it.

The way I look at it is, I know the risks in riding and racing, and I accept that. I also look at it like a numbers game. How many people ride or race, and how many have had paralyzing, or fatal injuries. I'll keep taking my chances. I've had a friend of mine(Jeremy Lusk) die from a moto neck injury so the idea of it has hit close to home. Maybe Im just stubborn, but Im not a fan of the brace. Maybe something more comfortable will come along.
If you're still open to the idea of wearing a brace give the alpinestars brace a try. I literally forget I have it one while riding moto (to the point I forget to put it on sometimes because I don't notice I don't have it on). I had one crash where I felt like it saved me from injury, but I can't objectively prove it did anything other than cause my brand new Kali helmet to bust.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
If you're still open to the idea of wearing a brace give the alpinestars brace a try. I literally forget I have it one while riding moto (to the point I forget to put it on sometimes because I don't notice I don't have it on). I had one crash where I felt like it saved me from injury, but I can't objectively prove it did anything other than cause my brand new Kali helmet to bust.
Im definitely open to the idea, just need to find one that doent hinder me so bad. I'll definitely look into the alpinestar one.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
I don't know if already posted... latest neck brace from Dainese

Dainese Hybrid Neck Brace - 2012 - Extreme Supply
I think this looks great. Nice and low-profile, and aside from the buckles in the armpits, it looks quite comfy. I also think it's interesting how all the new braces avoid the single beaver-tail, and instead rest on the back of the shoulder blades. I think this design has some merit, as those are big strong bones compared to your spine.

Looks high quality and expensive.

However, I bet it would get a bit annoying to have your helmet knocking against the non-padded carbon top deck. It should be padded a bit.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Which top-level motorsports don't use neck braces?

Serious question: I guess it is mixed in supercross, but the other stuff I watch such as F1, WRC, Dakar bikes seem to have near-100% use of the braces.

Obviously the car drivers don't tuck and roll, but the top Dakar riders all use braces and are doing high speed ragdolls when they go down.

MotoGP riders don't use braces, or mostly don't (I think).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ yep I know that, but they don't have a brace for forwards or backwards. I guess due to contorted body positions while in the deep leans?

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Back on my personal recovery note, I am going on week 16 since I broke my C6 and C7. That many weeks later, I still have two numb fingers, major atrophy in my LH pectoral muscle, and the nerve isn't 100% firing my muscles. I am 39 and obviously things aren't healing like they were when I was 20. Been on the XC bike twice since and also have to deal with some ghosts haunting my brain. Depending on the XC ride, I have worn and will be wearing my full face and Leatt..... risk of re-injury right now is just too high. It will be Feb or March before I get back on the Dh rig and I will prob have to "re-learn" how to do some things all over again.

If you got em, wear em! If you don't, then get one!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Ah, i was emailing some friends about neck protection just yesterday. I still can't decide if i need a Leatt or not.
I have a question, and no, i didn't read all of the other posts. Is there a greater chance that you can break your back if you scorp with a Leatt if you weigh more than the average rider? I'm 215 with nothing on. I was just kinda wondering.
Also, i've heard of someone crashing on their chest so hard that the Leatt pressed into the rider's chest and tore the lining of his heart. What do you guys think?
Anybody wear one snowboarding? I know i've taken way more headers in one weekend of boarding than i have in biking overall.
Anybody try one of those neck pillows? THey would be better than nothing and probably wouldn't cause another injury while preventing one.
I'm not totally convinced i should wear one, and i'm not totally convinced that i SHOULDN't get one. I have a few friends that have broken their neck riding DH in the last two years. They are ok now, but i wonder if they would've broken their backs with the way they crashed.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
^ yep I know that, but they don't have a brace for forwards or backwards. I guess due to contorted body positions while in the deep leans?
MotoGP riders have airbags that restrict the heads movement. The hump, as someone else pointed out, is for aerodynamics.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Im sorry mate but.... LOL

Nothing will save you when your hit in the head by a motorbike!

Leatt is a fashion accessory...

People just seem to think that it saves them now as they feel it in the way when the crash..LOL well of course you do its in the way!!! before you just rolled out and where as fine as ever...

A lot more development is needed in them.. Lots more

Morais landing on Canard at LA SX. Morais (who was not wearing a brace) suffered cervical and thoracic spine injuries, whereas Canard (who was wearing a brace) suffered only thoracic spine injuries. This is only one example, but appears the Leatt did its job.

check out this video...
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000122170/videos/catching-up-with-cornell-dejongh-of-leatt-brace/

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar

Morais landing on Canard at LA SX. Morais (who was not wearing a brace) suffered cervical and thoracic spine injuries, whereas Canard (who was wearing a brace) suffered only thoracic spine injuries. This is only one example, but appears the Leatt did its job.

check out this video...
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000122170/videos/catching-up-with-cornell-dejongh-of-leatt-brace/
My doctor buddy said that the Leatt is good for moto, but not needed for biking because we don't reach the same speeds and i'm sure we don't have people landing on us from 20 feet above with heavy equipment.

He also said that he knows other docs that race and have kids that race bmx. He said none of them wear them because they think they aren't needed. They sometimes promote other injuries instead.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
People just seem to think that it saves them now as they feel it in the way when the crash..LOL well of course you do its in the way!!! before you just rolled out and where as fine as ever...

Yeah I used to roll out of out scorpions all the time before I got my leatt :rolleyes:. What you said makes no sense... how do you roll out when your heels are kicking the back of your head and your face is in the ground and be "fine as ever"?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
My doctor buddy said that the Leatt is good for moto, but not needed for biking because we don't reach the same speeds and i'm sure we don't have people landing on us from 20 feet above with heavy equipment.

He also said that he knows other docs that race and have kids that race bmx. He said none of them wear them because they think they aren't needed. They sometimes promote other injuries instead.
Real dumb. People get spinal injuries in cycling all the time. Dan Atherton, Tara Llanes, the guy in THIS thread, countless people. They were on BICYCLES. Dan got injured dirt jumping, going maybe 10 miles an hour. Your doctor buddy is stupid. It doesn't matter the speed, land on your head the wrong way and you will get a spinal injury. Yes, they can promote other injuries, but would you rather your neck brace spread the load to your collar bone and break that? Or just rather snap your spine?