Quantcast

Leogang World Cup - Live Thread

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Good stuff, fo sho. Half the time I thought he was saying "hook" instead of "huck", then I heard him say hook for reals. Jeebus then 6pack's accent....:D

I wish I had a fraction of Brayton's energy....

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
peaty and minnaar have a lot of complaints, that's for sure. Peaty also said that maribor wasn't good racing because the track hasn't been updated. I seemed to enjoy watching the muck fest, and times seemed pretty close. Maybe if it hadn't changed at all he would have been used to it and placed higher than 45th?

It's nice to hear honesty from the riders, but optimism is always good. I'd rather hear the up and commers views that are excited to be there than the old crusties complaining.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Is there some atherton connection with this place? do they go here to train a lot or something? I seem to remember Rachels twats mentioning leogang a lot?

I meant tweets.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
With any longer pedaling section the bigger guys get an advantage
Being a strong pedaler isn't about being big, though. I think it's just a strange coincidence that Peat, Minnaar and Hannah are all fairly big dudes that excel in the pedally tracks.

Sprint (short-course) XC and Super D winners usually aren't big guys. Go check the results of the Ashland Super D held recently -- it was a really pedally track, mostly fire roads. ;)

peaty and minnaar have a lot of complaints, that's for sure.
The bitching about holes is weak-sauce. They're on 8" travel DH bikes, not fully-rigid 20" wheeled BMX bikes. Jesus, what do they want, another Willingen clone? :D

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Putting up a few course walk photos now. The track is going to be fast and rough if it manages to stay dry, and holy **** fast and slippery if it's wet. There will be quite a few people in catch fencing!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Teams are starting to roll in now, 8:15 and gorgeous out. So much for the predicted rain once again! Practice starts in 15 and goes until about 4 with top 80. 4x qualies tonight on a track that all of the big riders (Graves, Gracia etc) really like. Big gaps, roots, good corners.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If they say it's rough, it must be REALLY rough...
It prolly is - its a very popular bikepark in this part of europe and I remember it had the habbit of gatting rough due to that. That was another reason why I thought they were going to make a new trail.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
These guys are pros are they not? So riding WC on a track that has been used for the IXS cups should not be so hard should it?

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Teams are starting to roll in now, 8:15 and gorgeous out. So much for the predicted rain once again! Practice starts in 15 and goes until about 4 with top 80. 4x qualies tonight on a track that all of the big riders (Graves, Gracia etc) really like. Big gaps, roots, good corners.
Fraser, believe me, the rain will come the question is only when it hits LEO

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
It prolly is - its a very popular bikepark in this part of europe and I remember it had the habbit of gatting rough due to that. That was another reason why I thought they were going to make a new trail.
LEO is not famous for their trail work, holes are their everywhere, still a fun track to ride though

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
LEO is not famous for their trail work, holes are their everywhere, still a fun track to ride though
Yeah its fun. They do their trail maitanance once a year? Because for a while it seemed like the holes were getting bigger and bigger each year I visited. Anything changed?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
If they say it's rough, it must be REALLY rough...
The bitching about holes is weak-sauce. They're on 8" travel DH bikes, not fully-rigid 20" wheeled BMX bikes. Jesus, what do they want, another Willingen clone? :D
I think the issue is when a course makes you take stupid risks in order to win.

WC DH racing is already very high risk. They are taking chances to get the win. But there is a line when things get too stupid. Blind hucking into holes that could result in a neck or back injury is not the kind of risk they want to take - for their careers and for their families.

Last edited:

fearless

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
here are the world cup dates for 2011

World Champs in Champery.

23.04 – 24.04 UCI World Cup XCO / DHI / 4X 1 – Pietermaritzburg RSA

21.05 – 22.05 UCI World Cup XCO 2 – Yorkshire, Dalby Forest GBR

28.05 – 29.05 UCI World Cup XCO 3 – Offenburg GER

04.06 – 05.06 UCI World Cup DHI / 4X 2 – Fort William GBR

11.06 – 12.06 UCI World Cup DHI / 4X 3 – Leogang AUT

02.07 – 03.07 UCI World Cup XCO / DHI / 4X 4 – Mont Sainte Anne CAN

09.07 – 10.07 UCI World Cup XCO/ DHI / 4X 5 – Windham USA

06.08 – 07.08 UCI World Cup DHI / 4X 6 – La Bresse FRA

13.08 – 14.08 UCI World Cup XCO 6 – Nove Mesto Na Morave CZE

20.08 – 21.08 UCI World Cup XCO / DHI / 4X 7 – Val di Sole ITA

World Championships

31.08 – 04.09 UCI XCO/DHI/4X WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS – Champéry SUI

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Slightly off topic but I've been trying to figure this out: how are bib numbers assigned and do they change from race to race?
thanks

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I gotta say something about the pedaling. WC riders are ALL powerful pedalers. Just to get on the World Cup level, your legs and raw sprint are beastly. I've had the pleasure of watching even the lowliest of World Cup riders come by, whether it was a tech section or fire road.

The amount of horsepower they throw down in a sprint is great to watch. When it comes to big, open pedaling sections, then the biggest of the big can make up time on those sprints. Peat, Minnarr, Hannah, Rennie, etc can really accelerate and MAINTAIN a gear few people can even turn.

They also have an advantage that Nico himself pointed out at Worlds the year he lost. They asked him if he felt he had an advantage on the big, open pedaling sections with his fitness.

He plainly stated that when he hit those sections, he knew bigger riders were passing him, so he just had to give it all and make up for it elsewhere. He was the most fit animal on the circuit, but was smart enough to know that 6'2" 200lb plus guys were punching a hole in the wind.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Holy crap, did it rain. It was a monsoon with thunder and all for a good 30 mins. Then cleared up. Track is now slick as snot in some places and grippy still in others. Guys are backing it in everywhere.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Slightly off topic but I've been trying to figure this out: how are bib numbers assigned and do they change from race to race?
thanks
For the World Cup they are assigned each race based on current series standings, and yellow number plates go to riders on the #1 ranked team.

At World Champs the plates are determined by current UCI ranking (separate from WC points).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Blenkinsop fast timed practice…yes, I am aware it means nothing.

What happened to Steve Smith (via facebook)
Steve Smith is not to stoked about spending the night in the hospital. Its like a prison. Praying the doctor lets me out in the morning before qually so i can make my way down.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Not sure what you mean by that? DH BMX-ish sounds kinda good to me! gnarly rooty rock gardens, mixed in with good head to head sprinting and big jumps?! sounds awesome!!!
he's referring to the fact that 4x riders cant ever agree on what's good. its always too one-line, too easy, too much like bmx, too much like dh . . . . blah, blah, blah.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
My points about the holes and the complaining have a lot to do with the fact that these guys should have the skill to handle the holes. If it's dangerous to fly into the holes at XY mph/kph, then slow down accordingly. Everyone deals with the same track. If someone's going to risk dying then that's his/her business. Complaining about a rough track -- well, that's what 8" suspension and rider skill is for. Rough track = DH racing, in my book.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I don't mean to be rude, but that's the silliest nanny-state reasoning I've read on RideMonkey.

It would be like World Cup skiing DH courses being flattened to reduce risk of deadly falls.

As I said -- on an 8" travel DH bike, at the highest levels of skill on the planet, they should know how to deal with the holes. End of story.

The joke about Willingen I made because I remember very well how much complaining the riders did about that being a "giant BMX track". What's next, asphalt paved DH race courses? On road bikes? Oh wait, RedBull already did that, Myles Rockwell won it!
mention safety and DH racing and all the tough guys come out of the woodwork. Hate to break it to you, but ski racing has strict safety standards because the consequences of dodgy course design can in fact be life ending.

My advice, when a guy like Minnaar (who has roughly 10+ years on the WC circuit) voices his concerns they are most likely legit. These guys know how fast they will be going and they know what the consequences will be when the course design doesn't add up. They aren't sissies, and they aren't whiners for having concerns with course safety. And though it is getting better, as far as speed specific sports go DH racing has some of the most lax standards of anything i've seen.

remember the old rock garden at Mt. Snow, there's a reason the best pros were happy to see it go and all the chest thumpers called them a bunch of p*ssies . . . . nothing new here.

edit: i really do get a kick out of the armchair crew suggesting that these guys should 'just slow down.' yeah, right. would love to see Minnaar's response to that.

Last edited:

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
mention safety and DH racing and all the tough guys come out of the woodwork. Hate to break it to you, but ski racing has strict safety standards because the consequences of dodgy course design can in fact be life ending.

My advice, when a guy like Minnaar (who has roughly 10+ years on the WC circuit) voices his concerns they are most likely legit. These guys know how fast they will be going and they know what the consequences will be when the course design doesn't add up. They aren't sissies, and they aren't whiners for having concerns with course safety. And though it is getting better, as far as speed specific sports go DH racing has some of the most lax standards of anything i've seen.

remember the old rock garden at Mt. Snow, there's a reason the best pros were happy to see it go and all the chest thumpers called them a bunch of p*ssies . . . . nothing new here.

edit: i really do get a kick out of the armchair crew suggesting that these guys should 'just slow down.' yeah, right. would love to see Minnaar's response to that.
Once again I find myself agreeing with you completely! If you think pro DH riders should have the skill to handle a rough, dangerous track, then get out off your ass and go out and show them how its done.

They're the best in the world because no one else can do what they do. There are limits to how rough a track can get and if Greg and Steve are complaining, then I'm behind them. After watching them ride all my downhill lines on their 100mm carbon xc bikes. At the PMB world cup Andrew Neethling suggested taking a tree out so a line in the top section would be possible, Greg hit it while the tree was still there!!

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Blenkinsop fast timed practice…yes, I am aware it means nothing.

What happened to Steve Smith (via facebook)
Steve Smith is not to stoked about spending the night in the hospital. Its like a prison. Praying the doctor lets me out in the morning before qually so i can make my way down.
Crashed hard in the last chute and knocked himself silly. Was throwing up, dizzy etc. Troy crashed in the same area and may have broken a finger.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My points about the holes and the complaining have a lot to do with the fact that these guys should have the skill to handle the holes. If it's dangerous to fly into the holes at XY mph/kph, then slow down accordingly. Everyone deals with the same track. If someone's going to risk dying then that's his/her business. Complaining about a rough track -- well, that's what 8" suspension and rider skill is for. Rough track = DH racing, in my book.
You are wrong. Guys like gee, sam, steve, greg do not "slow down accordingly". They give it. Thus, the course needs to have certain reasonable safety expectations. It's a race. Oh hey ski race, there's a water bar middle of the run, maybe you should just slow down?

I don't think so. When you go slow and break rhythm, you get hurt.