Quantcast

Lets all jump on the Zocchi bandwagon...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so i get home from work and go look at my 888's
bummer....
was just about to put on some new Hope Mono6Ti...

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hopefully its warrentiable...
per Brian P's idea, i'll send the whole fork back and see what they think.
hope it doesn't cost too much, just spent all my money on the Hope Brakes, some middle burns, a nice blue evil bash guard....

but guess it give me a reason to have my machinest dude make me new barrel adjusters and get the rear Avalanche shock re-valved.

aahhhhhhh..........depressing.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Second post like this in a week. :dead:
I'm getting my wrenches and loosening those little bolts before my 888 is next.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ncrider said:
Second post like this in a week. :dead:
I'm getting my wrenches and loosening those little bolts before my 888 is next.
exactly how i felt today at work, when that guys post got like 6 pages long. and it wasn't all derailing the thread.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Hip-Hip-Hooray for casting!!!!!

I felt an 888 and it was incredible, but after seeing the problems that are popping up I just gotta say that it appears that either Marzocchi has some issues with a) their casting process or b) the design of the pinch bolt area.

Now I'm not exactly sure about the material properties of the cast alloy, but if it's brittle (as most cast parts are) I'm willing to bet that it has uneven material properties. If that's the case then the alloy isn't nearly as strong when it's in tension, which it clearly is when bolted down.

I agree that people need to pay attention to torque specs, but there needs to be some room for error.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Inclag said:
I agree that people need to pay attention to torque specs, but there needs to be some room for error.
yes, torque specs are there for a reason. I'm lucky because my bolts were on suuuppppeerr tight and no breakege. Now they are two finger tight (no torque wrench yet) w/ tape over them. I see a nice new torque wrench in my future.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
It does seem to be a common failure mode in the 888, at least they seem to be owning up to it (and fixing things under warrenty). I was no fan of the QR20 because the parts broke so easily and the big M would not stand behind them.

This is one advantage of having parts machined from billet aluminum.

Attachments

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well its depressing, but i'll send my 888 in and get it fixed. it is by far my favorite fork. thats why i have 2. i've had Avy forks before. but the 888 does a good job, not as expensive, heavy, but feels reallly good.
i meant no offense the Marzocchi.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Tarpon said:
It does seem to be a common failure mode in the 888, at least they seem to be owning up to it (and fixing things under warrenty).
I think it was the other dude with the cracked 888 earlier this week that said they weren't going to warranty it.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ChrisRobin said:
I think it was the other dude with the cracked 888 earlier this week that said they weren't going to warranty it.
quiet, mines not that bad.
sorry other guy, what does it cost anyway?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sorry about your problem DHS I hope you get it fixed in the right way.

Stripping Boxxer bolts and cracking 888 - is it that important to tighten does bolts so much? Does it increase stiffness during the ride or is it just lock in the axel?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
CBJ said:
Sorry about your problem DHS I hope you get it fixed in the right way.

Stripping Boxxer bolts and cracking 888 - is it that important to tighten does bolts so much? Does it increase stiffness during the ride or is it just lock in the axel?
nope you can FEEL when the axle isn't clamped on. tried that. parking lot test.

bigginsr

Chimp
Aug 29, 2004
i have broken a few marzocchi forks and it is still all i will ever ride. I heart them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just went out and checked my shiver, it's fine, as it has been for the last 4 years....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
bizutch said:
That wrench is in ft-lbs, not inch-lbs.

It's harder to find one in inch-lbs, but the other thread had a lot of suggestions. In addition to the ones I pointed out there, McMaster's "dial gauge" series of wrenches looks pretty sweet for a *relatively* low price of $122... The Park 1/4" drive one looks pretty good and very cheap, too, but you'll probably have to special order all the 1/4" hex drivers for it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bizutch said:
anybody else wanna spell it out for him? :love:
Yes.

Paris, let me spell it out for you here. SEI Racing is riding Marzocchi forks here, so he has an unfounded bias towards the forks, and therefore is implying that your Manitou stops working the minute you install it.. ..when in reality, you and I know that it works perfectly fine.

Was that clear enough, bizutch? :p :D

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
MikeD said:
That wrench is in ft-lbs, not inch-lbs.

It's harder to find one in inch-lbs, but the other thread had a lot of suggestions. In addition to the ones I pointed out there, McMaster's "dial gauge" series of wrenches looks pretty sweet for a *relatively* low price of $122... The Park 1/4" drive one looks pretty good and very cheap, too, but you'll probably have to special order all the 1/4" hex drivers for it.
yea i have the Park one.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
just freakin west coast. i get up on the east coast at about 7am. have to wait till about 12-1 to call for an RA#. gah!

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
binary visions said:
Yes.

Paris, let me spell it out for you here. SEI Racing is riding Marzocchi forks here, so he has an unfounded bias towards the forks, and therefore is implying that your Manitou stops working the minute you install it.. ..when in reality, you and I know that it works perfectly fine.

Was that clear enough, bizutch? :p :D
I see now. Actually mine works quite well after a season of racing and a week at Whistler (i did have it serviced after Whistler though).

Marzocchis aren't without their own problems as is very apparent here.

Whether or not the big M will warranty this situation, it would seem the 888 deserves the same if not a worse rep than the Dorado...IMHO

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
DHS said:
so i get home from work and go look at my 888's
bummer....
was just about to put on some new Hope Mono6Ti...

I been on the Zoke bandwagon since 99. Got off once.....big mistake......

Imagine our riding world without them......
They have been pushing all the other companies for years.....
Without that push and their shocks where would our sport be.......