Quantcast

Light flat pedals - any HT pedal experts? other suggestions?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have a couple of pics showing a side by side somewhere. Took them just after I got them. Will see if I can dig them up, even if just for info purpose.
Yeah that'd be cool, sounds like they're a very good option now.
I wonder if they've documented everything that changed from the point1 version somewhere.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah that'd be cool, sounds like they're a very good option now.
I wonder if they've documented everything that changed from the point1 version somewhere.
I had the OG podium and the 2. I preferred the OG. If I remember correctly, they were both 100x100 but the 2's felt smaller under foot. Must have been the pin placement. I never measured, but I think the exaggerated chamfered edges on the 2 placed the pins closer together. They felt small to me and also felt very flat. I could feel a small amount of concavity in the OG, but the 2's felt completely flat even with no center pins. They looked super cool, and cleared rocks super well, but I just couldn't get along with them. Pins were far from durable too but I didn't try the steel pins. Had I kept them I would have tapped them for straitline pins. I can't see those pins not sheering easily even in steel.

Take all that from someone that priorities concave, and platform size over all else. I wish I could like pedals like the podium 2's because they are light and they clear rocks super well.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks for sharing @twenty666. That's a shame if they made the effective area smaller.
Any reason you thought the steel pins would shear easily, is it because they're still hollow?
The importance of concavity actually changes with the effective platform size (area within perimeter of pins), since with a smaller effective platform you'd need greater concavity to compensate for the lost grip (and it still may not be possible to). Dead flat doesn't bother me personally, but I do like a decent platform area, and I definitely draw the line at anything convex. I'm sure shoe size and shoe choice has a lot to do with it too.

If anyone is interested in a similar comparison between the Spike and the Oozy, I found the Oozy grips better because your shoes can squish into the open gaps of the pedal a little better (even though the center stayed the same), and because they increased the pin length (bit too short on Spike). Durability seems about the same to me and the weight saving is a bonus. The new pins also have slightly thinner tips so they'll eat shoes faster but not a big deal. The only downside is that they changed the seal design a little on the current Oozy so their Ti axle apparently doesn't work (I had a new pair of both old and new versions, so I just Ti'd the OG version). For some strange reason they also ditched the outboard reverse-entry pin on the current Oozy and replaced it with a normal pin - not a big deal but definitely inferior, so all in all the OG Oozy is the clear winner from the Spank field.

Interesting how not all changes are for the better.

As a sidenote (just in case it's useful to anyone), I found that these types of pedals (inboard large bearing) use fairly small balls, and since it's a very on-edge application, careful choice of grease can extend the practical life of the bearing significantly. Load capacity of EP greases varies drastically, I made a spreadsheet a while ago to narrow down the best choices. I picked the Castrol SBX2, as on top of very high load capacity, it uses a very high base oil viscosity and stays in place exceptionally well. Obviously be careful not to damage seals if regreasing cartridge bearings.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for sharing @twenty666. That's a shame if they made the effective area smaller.
Any reason you thought the steel pins would shear easily, is it because they're still hollow?
The importance of concavity actually changes with the effective platform size (area within perimeter of pins), since with a smaller effective platform you'd need greater concavity to compensate for the lost grip (and it still may not be possible to). Dead flat doesn't bother me personally, but I do like a decent platform area, and I definitely draw the line at anything convex. I'm sure shoe size and shoe choice has a lot to do with it too.

If anyone is interested in a similar comparison between the Spike and the Oozy, I found the Oozy grips better because your shoes can squish into the open gaps of the pedal a little better (even though the center stayed the same), and because they increased the pin length (bit too short on Spike). Durability seems about the same to me and the weight saving is a bonus. The new pins also have slightly thinner tips so they'll eat shoes faster but not a big deal. The only downside is that they changed the seal design a little on the current Oozy so their Ti axle apparently doesn't work (I had a new pair of both old and new versions, so I just Ti'd the OG version). For some strange reason they also ditched the outboard reverse-entry pin on the current Oozy and replaced it with a normal pin - not a big deal but definitely inferior, so all in all the OG Oozy is the clear winner from the Spank field.

Interesting how not all changes are for the better.

As a sidenote (just in case it's useful to anyone), I found that these types of pedals (inboard large bearing) use fairly small balls, and since it's a very on-edge application, careful choice of grease can extend the practical life of the bearing significantly. Load capacity of EP greases varies drastically, I made a spreadsheet a while ago to narrow down the best choices. I picked the Castrol SBX2, as on top of very high load capacity, it uses a very high base oil viscosity and stays in place exceptionally well. Obviously be careful not to damage seals if regreasing cartridge bearings.

Total speculation on my part as to how durable the steel pins are. Yes, the same hollow design is why I'm assuming they will sheer easily. If you like the feel of little to no concave, and find the size to be adequate they could be great pedals for you.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
In my experience with Podium pedals the stainless pins are more likely to damage the pedal body in a strike than the aluminum ones which just tend to shear off. I would prefer to replace a couple pins than a pedal body.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I just got a pair of the OneUp pedals to try.

OneUp are thin and light and offer up no noticeable flex, and are a larger platform than a pair of Straitline pedals. Pins are very grippy. I haven't enough time on these to tell if they'll last but so far so good.
+1 for this. I've been running mine for well over a year now, and they've been money. And that's coming from someone who finally converted to flats after 450 years on clips.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
+1 for this. I've been running mine for well over a year now, and they've been money. And that's coming from someone who finally converted to flats after 450 years on clips.
Did you go straight from clips to a convex flat or did you try some more traditional style pedals with concave first?

I love the marketing, goes something like- The convex shape matches the natural arch of your foot. The little axle bulge on the Boomslangs almost stopped me from buying them, the OneUps look ridiculous!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Did you go straight from clips to a convex flat or did you try some more traditional style pedals with concave first?

I love the marketing, goes something like- The convex shape matches the natural arch of your foot. The little axle bulge on the Boomslangs almost stopped me from buying them, the OneUps look ridiculous!
I actually used concave pedals on my other bikes (DMR Vaults and the Forte alloy pedal) and never noticed any difference. In my case, it was more about proper pin placement/length and good shoes. As for OneUps, I also like the large platform size (making many other pedals feel like Trump hands in comparison) and the axle bearing design , which may be not be for everyone if you like your foot slam up next to the crank.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
In my experience with Podium pedals the stainless pins are more likely to damage the pedal body in a strike than the aluminum ones which just tend to shear off. I would prefer to replace a couple pins than a pedal body.
Does that mean you've wrecked the current-gen pedal body by running stainless pins?
I'd rather have pins that don't vanish at first sight of rocks personally.

Spikes I bought in 2013 got retired last year, steel pins, pedal bodies and threads still intact:
Spike.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You know what's fucking sweet? Lunch rides
You know what isn't? Fucking shitbags all over the sides of the trail

Fortunately, lunch rides >> shitbags on the side of the trail.

You know what else rules? Trail work where a formerly "meh" trail becomes a fucking hoot.

Fork is still making odd "crack" noise. Will ride the shit out of it Thursday, then head up to the mountains to ride the shit out of it Saturday and Sunday. Then take it into the shop and raise holy hell.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I threw the Boomslangs on a couple of weeks ago and they look really nice but they are a touch small and the bearings feel like the manufacturer has used sinkers as bearings, will be keen to see how they last.

On my first ride I got all excited with my small and low profile pedals and felt invincible, then I clipped something on the side of a rut and now have a few weeks off the bike.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just threw on a pair of RF Atlas. They feel pretty ok.

I think I am having a bit of a problem getting the foot position right. My last pedals were square and the hexagonal shape of the Atlas makes my pinky toe feel like it's dangling off the edge of the pedal.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I have been on the WahWahII,s for a few months now . So far they are a really good pedal , at times I feel clipped in they bite and fit the shoe so well , The bigger platform and pin layout is much better that the 1st generation design.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Anyone have opinions on Race Face Chesters? (Super stout plastic, apparently). Thinking of getting some for wife and kiddo...
They're on my girlfriend's bike which I cruise around on from time to time at the BMX track. They feel good to me. Best plastic pedal I've been on. Plus pretty colors, that's why I got them for her. She likes the purple :banana:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Boomslangs are off and the Horizons are back on, they developed a really annoying clicking sound that could be felt through the frame.
Pretty disappointing as they didn't even see a month of riding, the NPs are beautifully smooth in comparison.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Boomslangs are off and the Horizons are back on, they developed a really annoying clicking sound that could be felt through the frame.
That sucks, I wonder if there was a defect when new from what you said. Going to get them warrantied?

I liked the Nukeproofs when I had them, wish the outer pins were reverse entry but good solid product.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That sucks, I wonder if there was a defect when new from what you said. Going to get them warrantied?

I liked the Nukeproofs when I had them, wish the outer pins were reverse entry but good solid product.
I removed all the non reverse entry pins today and I prefer it that way, they feel a bit grippier.

A friend worked in a Spesh shop and warned me about the bearing issue but I figured I'd give them a shot, my Bennies were replaced on the spot when I had an issue with one of them.

I thought it was my cranks as they are a strange design, I don't think I have them set up quite right and the company that made them is long gone. Figured I'd swap the pedals out after removing and reinstalling the cranks twice and that got rid of the noise.

I read this review on the Spesh site after buying mine so it may be a common thing-

Rated 2 out of 5 stars
Creaking and Clicking...

7 months ago

MCM564

Oakland, CA

I JUST bought these pedals from Mikes Bikes and they feel great, HOWEVER, they creak and click on every pedal revolution! I tried everything to shut them up, but no luck. I just bought a brand new 2018 SC Nomad, and its riding super slick and quiet TILL I installed these pedals. Going to see if I can get a refund from Mikes Bikes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Well shit. Just picked up a pair of Bennies for cheap DJ pedals.
It was one side and it just developed a bit of play, they were a really nice little pedal and the replacements lasted pretty well. First ones probably did 1000Miles before I took them in, had a few rock strike marks too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sucks about your Boomslangs. Mine are still running well, though I do switch back between clips and flats a bit so they're not on a bike 100% of the time.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have boomslangs on 3 bikes, one for 3 years and 2 for 2 years - for me they have great pedals with no obvious defects or durability issues. I'm a hack so I'm probably missing something...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Any thought on the DMR V12 Magnesium? The price and weight is looking good. I agree the Vaults seem to be superior, but they are currently 50% more expensive at CRC.

They would be for my girlfriend (beginner rider). I am thinking the V12 may be the most interesting option for her in terms of Quality/Price ratio.

I am mainly a clipless pedal rider. I really don't have that much experience with flat pedals. Thanks!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Any thought on the DMR V12 Magnesium? The price and weight is looking good. I agree the Vaults seem to be superior, but they are currently 50% more expensive at CRC.

They would be for my girlfriend (beginner rider). I am thinking the V12 may be the most interesting option for her in terms of Quality/Price ratio.

I am mainly a clipless pedal rider. I really don't have that much experience with flat pedals. Thanks!
I have a new black pair in a box, never ridden. I ordered them after I got the Vaults as a cheaper alternative for the 2nd bike but they are neither as grippy nor as concave as the Vaults. PM me if interested.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

I like RF Chesters for beginner riders, girls in particular. They're cheap, pedal to shin interactions might be a bit easier on the shin, and they come in lots of colors.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
bit of necromancy :)

Anyone try the new shimano M8040 XT pedals?

thinking of replacing the 10 year old wah wahs i inherited on my bike and stuck between the new XTs and Nukeproof Horizons.
They both look pretty good, but are shimano's internals better than the HT style bushing internals in the nukeproof?