Quantcast

Light flat pedals - any HT pedal experts? other suggestions?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They both look pretty good, but are shimano's internals better than the HT style bushing internals in the nukeproof?
Shimano's pedal internals have been terrible since the Saint pedals (they develop play within a few rides), I'd definitely put my money on the Nukeproofs if I had to choose between those.

BTW if you're 9M119, why do you have two accounts here?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Shimano's pedal internals have been terrible since the Saint pedals (they develop play within a few rides), I'd definitely put my money on the Nukeproofs if I had to choose between those.

BTW if you're 9M119, why do you have two accounts here?
Good to know. I assumed the new XTs would be worthwhile since I know a few people running shimano clip pedals for near 10 years.

Would the HT style bushing pedal guts generally be a pro or a con? Only thing I know from local chatter is that the DMRs eat bushes in our weather. That said, I'm also not the only person running ancient konas and they have the same internal design.

aye that was my old handle. I nuked it cos I had issues with viruses, lost control of an email + personal reasons.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anybody have a look or a play with the One-Up alloy?
Have heard some grumbling about the bearing being large, but I have not had issue with the large bearing on the Spank Spikes - so...?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Have heard some grumbling about the bearing being large, but I have not had issue with the large bearing on the Spank Spikes - so...?
A good friend has been riding them for 3 months now, after his third of Boomslangs gave up in the course of one year. He digs them.

I've the plastic ones, but only 3 rides so far. I don't like the convex shape which clearly can be felt through my shoe soles. Grip is ok, but is better on my og wahwahs. I'm hitting all kinds of ground stuff all the time I make the switch to flats, I'm just used to the slim shape of xtr trail spds I usually run, but I think I'm hitting less stuff on the OneUps than on the Konas.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Did you get the new wahwahs? @Flo33
I dig mine. The pins are on the brittle side but it's easy to replace. Not sure if mine are the final version since they are a pre-sample I got from the local importer through a good friend of mine...

And personally I don't mind the shape of the OneUp composite after removing the pins closest to the crankarms.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Have really liked my one-up alloys. Big platform is so great and plenty of grip for me with five tens. That said, I like the composite versions even more because they grip even better for some reason. @jackalope has had the same experience. Our whole crew is running them now...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No issues with bushings in my Vaults yet, but I've only done about 700 miles on them so far. Our weather has been abnormally wet in the past 12 months. My friend's plastic Konas are falling apart after a year, cracking.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
No issues with bushings in my Vaults yet, but I've only done about 700 miles on them so far. Our weather has been abnormally wet in the past 12 months. My friend's plastic Konas are falling apart after a year, cracking.
I'll definitely consider them if I can scrape up the extra cash, I used them before on someon elses bike and they felt great in a pair of vans. they do have a reputation here for having poor sealing and needing fresh grease more often. The rebuild kits are also overpriced, but you can find bushings separately for cheap iirc.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Good to know. I assumed the new XTs would be worthwhile since I know a few people running shimano clip pedals for near 10 years.

Would the HT style bushing pedal guts generally be a pro or a con? Only thing I know from local chatter is that the DMRs eat bushes in our weather. That said, I'm also not the only person running ancient konas and they have the same internal design.
I think you're crossing wires on two fronts here:
  1. The old Shimano clip pedal internal design and 10 year usage definitely didn't hold true for their Saint flat pedals and onwards, they've been junk for quite a while now. The new XT flats are quite heavy too from memory. Just more rubbish products from Shimano without fixing problems, while stomping on their good reputation from what is now far too long ago.
  2. HT pedals had two designs, one design on the super thin ones where the axial loads were handled by an external bearing (you can spot this because the outer bearing/cover sits outside the pedal, on some of the models I mentioned at the start of this thread - problematic) - and a separate design on the slightly thicker models, which is the design that Nukeproof etc use. This design is time-tested and has no major problems from what I've seen.
Basically, you're thinking that a bad pedal is good, and a good pedal is bad.
A good pedal will always have at least one bushing AND one radial cartridge bearing, I'm yet to see any pedal that handles every load case correctly without both of those, and it usually results in play developing sooner rather than later. I reckon the Nukeproof Horizon is a safe bet.

aye that was my old handle. I nuked it cos I had issues with viruses, lost control of an email + personal reasons.
Don't delete old tech posts - you asked a bunch of questions under your old account and went back and deleted all of them which in one case removed a thread worth of replies (Hadley thread). Tech info on old parts benefits people for years and it's a selfish act to wipe info after using it for personal benefit alone.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Don't delete old tech posts - you asked a bunch of questions under your old account and went back and deleted all of them which in one case removed a thread worth of replies (Hadley thread). Tech info on old parts benefits people for years and it's a selfish act to wipe info after using it for personal benefit alone.
This.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
I think you're crossing wires on two fronts here:
  1. The old Shimano clip pedal internal design and 10 year usage definitely didn't hold true for their Saint flat pedals and onwards, they've been junk for quite a while now. The new XT flats are quite heavy too from memory. Just more rubbish products from Shimano without fixing problems, while stomping on their good reputation from what is now far too long ago.
  2. HT pedals had two designs, one design on the super thin ones where the axial loads were handled by an external bearing (you can spot this because the outer bearing/cover sits outside the pedal, on some of the models I mentioned at the start of this thread - problematic) - and a separate design on the slightly thicker models, which is the design that Nukeproof etc use. This design is time-tested and has no major problems from what I've seen.
Basically, you're thinking that a bad pedal is good, and a good pedal is bad.
A good pedal will always have at least one bushing AND one radial cartridge bearing, I'm yet to see any pedal that handles every load case correctly without both of those, and it usually results in play developing sooner rather than later. I reckon the Nukeproof Horizon is a safe bet.

Good stuff on the pedal internals. Lots of shite online from armchair engineers muddying the waters so it's tricky to make sure I'm not wasting money.

Sorry about the deletions. All I can say is that I'm not a great example of sanity.

I can make another thread on my experience with the Hadleys if it's any consolation.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
mine developed play
This. Squeaking and has play. Planning on disassembling and re greasing them. What was your trick?

Over all I haven't liked them on longer rides. I think the amount of empty space in the pedal gives me pressure points on my feet when compared to more solid platforms. Only notice it on full on shuttle days though.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This. Squeaking and has play. Planning on disassembling and re greasing them. What was your trick?

Over all I haven't liked them on longer rides. I think the amount of empty space in the pedal gives me pressure points on my feet when compared to more solid platforms. Only notice it on full on shuttle days though.
basically this:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Well that looks like a lot of fun!!

Guess I'll be giving this a try. Only one side has play though, was the QC just really bad on these spindles?
it's super easy to do - just a couple of passes with the flat file, and helped. only one of mine had the issue. be careful taking it apart though. it's easy to hamfist all of the tiny allen screws.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
it's super easy to do - just a couple of passes with the flat file, and helped. only one of mine had the issue. be careful taking it apart though. it's easy to hamfist all of the tiny allen screws.
I had a look at it last night and the problem could be that I've smashed that little colorful end cap into oblivion. It's literally not there any more :bonk: