Quantcast

Lightest V-10?

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
I have a 2006 V-10 that weighed 36.09 pounds on my shop's digital scale just before I raced it at the BC Provincial Championship race.
SPECS:
2006 V-10 Medium frame
Cane Creek S-6 low stack headset
Boxxer World Cup Air fork with flat crown (required lower stack headset than Chris King)
Manitou Swinger 4-way air rear shock (I found a big performace gain over DHX-5 coil)
Truvativ "Team" 680mm x 25mm riser bar
Lizard Skin lock on grips
Thompson Elite 30.9 post & stem.
WTB Rocket V Ti saddle
XO short cage derailleur and shifter.
11-23 PG-970 9spd cassette
34T front ring
E-13 LG-1 Light Guide with a Truvativ bash guard (cut so only 1.3 remained) bolted into the front for bash protection.
Truvativ 165mm Holzfeller DH cranks and 83mm Howitzer Bottom Bracket
Shimano PD-M424 pedals.
WHEELS:
F=DT Swiss Freeride hub, DT Super Comp spokes, Stans ZTR freeride rim. Stans rim strip, Maxxis Highroller Tubeless 2.35 tire
R=Hadley hub, DT Super Comp spokes, Stans ZTR freeride rim. Stans rim strip, Maxxis Highroller Tubeless 2.35 tire
Brakes: Juicy 7's (not carbon) with 203 front and 185mm rear Juicy rotors.
Over the winter I hope to have her down to 35 pounds!Some people said the gearing was too low but I do like to spin and I had her up to over 70kph (42mph) no problem.

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
I will have to get pics. The Stans rims seem okay. I had a lot of trouble beading up tires which worries me but they performed fine at the last few races. If the tires leak down in pressure the tires drop off the bead and it takes lots of soap and high pressure to reseat them. I think if I got rid of the rim strip and used tape instead it may bead up better (and be 100gms lighter to boot). The wheels are super light and really fast. I practice on Kenda Nevegal 2.5/2.7 tires on the OEM wheels and when I switch to the Stans with 2.35's the bike takes off! Rolls so much faster and is easier to turn. I consider them FRO wheels but I think I will sell off the OEM DT 440 / 6.1 wheels and go with another set of Stans for next year if I can solve the bead up issue. I would say I am a smooth rider who is easy on his gear so take that into account.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

V10 frame DHX coil 5.0 with steel spring (I have a DHX air on the way, then it will be in the 34 pound range)
fox 40 (soont to be a boxxer WC)
440 rear hub WTB super duty front hub
sapim bladed spokes
alloy nipples
DT 5.1 rims (the rear is ganna be a 6.1 because the 5.1 is just to pinner for a wheel so im ganna take a 90 gram hit)
middleburn cranks
FSA Ti BB (maybe getting 07 XTRs)
kenda nevegals 2.3/2.5 single plys
1.2mm tubes
EA 70 lo rise bars
syntace stem
formula puro brakes (getting hope 2 piece rotors and puting the formula ones on a thrasher set im building this winter)
X0 shifter mounted to the brake lever clamp
dura ave cassette
Ibeam post (maybe carbon Ibeam?)
I fly saddle
Gammut guide (getting an LG1 and putting on a 1/4 bash when needed)
egg beater dual Ti pedals
X9 derailer (X0 got taken out by a rock but will be replaced with an X0 short cage)
O and a king headset

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
Just think how light those v10s will be once you get those bladed carbon wang extenders! high five!

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder

V10 frame DHX coil 5.0 with steel spring (I have a DHX air on the way, then it will be in the 34 pound range)
fox 40 (soont to be a boxxer WC)
440 rear hub WTB super duty front hub
sapim bladed spokes
alloy nipples
DT 5.1 rims (the rear is ganna be a 6.1 because the 5.1 is just to pinner for a wheel so im ganna take a 90 gram hit)
middleburn cranks
FSA Ti BB (maybe getting 07 XTRs)
kenda nevegals 2.3/2.5 single plys
1.2mm tubes
EA 70 lo rise bars
syntace stem
formula puro brakes (getting hope 2 piece rotors and puting the formula ones on a thrasher set im building this winter)
X0 shifter mounted to the brake lever clamp
dura ave cassette
Ibeam post (maybe carbon Ibeam?)
I fly saddle
Gammut guide (getting an LG1 and putting on a 1/4 bash when needed)
egg beater dual Ti pedals
X9 derailer (X0 got taken out by a rock but will be replaced with an X0 short cage)
O and a king headset

i know this has been said, but your scale is broken, its not possible

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Bro...the point was- you try to lighten your bike in a way that is irrellevant to 99% of the world. But for the weight weenies out there you are their hero. Much like Bender is to the freeride world.
Progressive in a destructive sense.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I dont see why people get so pissy when people care about the weight of their bike.

Its not your bike, let people obsess over grams if they want to. I dont really see how it affects you..

Personally, I care but not to the point where I am going to run anything that I would second guess (carbon bars, soft rims etc)

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
I think that there may be some problems with your guy's scales. I have seen v10's built with those build kits (maybe not exactly but real close) and they came in at 40-41. Also, why run single ply tires for general dh, the spots that i ride single plys would only lead to less riding. Possitively I really do think that light weight is not just a fad, all other types of bike try to get lighter and dh bikes should be no exceptions but in the end you do have to get to the bottom of the hill.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
But for the weight weenies out there you are their hero.
Not really. DH weight weenies will respect someone that can build up a light bike that can still take a beating and perform as well as a heavier bike in other regards (traction, bump absorption) - that is generally impressive. Using XC rims and tyres on the other hand isn't.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I might be wrong, but didn't the first V10 come out in 03? Yours is probably actually an 03.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
it is beyond me how someone could need that much travel, yet not kill those components.

Not trying to **** stir, just puzzles me.

J

J5ive

Using XC rims...
5.1d seems to be holding up for most people. I've been giving them a hiding on the hardtail without mishap. And we all know a well built wheel- even with a light rim will be stronger than a poorly built wheel with a beef rim. Any stock rim on a bike for example.

I've ordered 3 for the dh bike when it comes. I guess its handy being able to build your own wheels and take that little extra care to make a wheel as strong as the components can be. The 3rd is just in case, I feel the risk is worth it.

Just as you saw the risk to run XT cranks was worth while. Same deal.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Fair call - my emphasis was more on the tyres to be honest. I'd probably consider trying the 5.1's myself if I didn't have a pair of black 721's waiting to be built up in my cupboard.

Have they actually changed them to be stronger now, or is that just a rumour? And have you weighed them? Curious if they are actually 500g as the 6.1's were generally over their claim (as well as dying if you looked at them too hard).

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
5.1d seems to be holding up for most people. I've been giving them a hiding on the hardtail without mishap. And we all know a well built wheel- even with a light rim will be stronger than a poorly built wheel with a beef rim. Any stock rim on a bike for example.

I've ordered 3 for the dh bike when it comes. I guess its handy being able to build your own wheels and take that little extra care to make a wheel as strong as the components can be. The 3rd is just in case, I feel the risk is worth it.

Just as you saw the risk to run XT cranks was worth while. Same deal.

i specced some 5,1s on a customers v10 a while ago, actually only on the front, to see if they were up to real dh terrain and racing. bad call, they lasted about 2 races before reaching the terminal destruction point.

as for these guys specs, i think its all reflected in the tire choices, if you can run single ply tires with that sort of tubes, well then i can understand the rest of the spec.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
why cant we all just be friends?!

who cares if anybody makes their bike lighter, maybe you may dissagree but youve never met that person (i dunno really) but you really have no reason to attack what they have done with their bike. who cares.

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
Care to share the setting on your 4-way air? I tried them on my V10 and just couldn't get the right setting. It is either too soft or too hard.
I set the low pressure side (SPV) at 60psi and the air spring side to 175psi. I am 180 lbs. I have the air volume backed all the way out (largest volume). I never felt the shock bottom even though I took some very very hard hits and I know it used full travel. This gave me 40-45% sag which the V-10 seems to like. It feels super soft but pedaled great ( a 34T ring pedals better than a 38-40T too).

I found the speed sensitive damping really worked for me. Small bumps etc would use 9 inches of travel while big hits used all 10 inches. I had my fork set at 25% sag and the bike felt very balanced.

MTB-Bryon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
North Vancouver
Nice, does it make you go faster?
Last year I raced a 2002 V-10 (pre-production bike) and it was about 42 pounds and had a 63 degree head angle. It was a very fast bike.
My new 2006 V-10 was about 43 pounds from Santa Cruz and was also very fast. But my current set up is faster yet. And I have not had any failures or crash damage yet. But your risks of a failure do go up as the parts get lighter. I know I will not be putting any carbon fiber Seatposts, Bars, or Cranks on my bike. Too risky post crash...

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I set the low pressure side (SPV) at 60psi and the air spring side to 175psi. I am 180 lbs. I have the air volume backed all the way out (largest volume). I never felt the shock bottom even though I took some very very hard hits and I know it used full travel. This gave me 40-45% sag which the V-10 seems to like. It feels super soft but pedaled great ( a 34T ring pedals better than a 38-40T too).

I found the speed sensitive damping really worked for me. Small bumps etc would use 9 inches of travel while big hits used all 10 inches. I had my fork set at 25% sag and the bike felt very balanced.
Thanks, I'm gonna give that a try.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
it is beyond me how someone could need that much travel, yet not kill those components.

You sir have hit the nail on the head.
Loren "The Montashu" is not by any means an aggresive rider. Not to be rude, but my wife is faster than he is on her hardtail and she never rides. Loren likes to talk the talk, and on the internet he is anonymous in a sense that most people on here don't know him. I do. His weight weenie-ism is like big truck syndrome for most...compensation. I love Loren but his methods are questionable and his language sounds legit so it can be very deceiving. Just trying to shed some light.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Loren "The Montashu" is not by any means an aggresive rider. Not to be rude, but my wife is faster than he is on her hardtail and she never rides. Loren likes to talk the talk, and on the internet he is anonymous in a sense that most people on here don't know him. I do. His weight weenie-ism is like big truck syndrome for most...compensation. I love Loren but his methods are questionable and his language sounds legit so it can be very deceiving. Just trying to shed some light.
:happydance:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
These kinda things crack me up. People spaz out and try to drop a 1/2 pound of the bike to try and make themselves faster, when 99% of them, don't even train, don't worry about their weight. Heath hit it on the head, big truck syndrome.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

What does "need" have to do with any of this?

He's 135 pounds and likes a long travel bike. At his weight he can run the lighter stuff and not break it. Who cares if someone's wife is faster?

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Oouch! Damn, you called him out.

Regardless, it is up to him on how he wants to build his bike. I'm sure he get somekind of satisfaction doing what he is doing.

I honestly don't know how people can build their V10 so light. Mine is built with decent parts and it weighs ~41lbs (never really put it on a scale though)

Here's my spec:
- 2006 Medium V10 with Fox DHX 5.0 (ti spring)
- 2006 Manitou Travis Ti Intrinsic 180mm
- King headset
- RaceFace Atlas low riser bar
- SDG saddle (ti rails)
- FSA seatpost
- XO drivetrain
- Saint Brakes
- Saint Crankset with 36T
- E13 SRS (was running an LG-1 before but after a bent chainring, I switched it back to the SRS)
- Azonic A-Frame pedal
- Wheelset: Hadley hubs laced on a singletrack rims with Kenda Nevegal (DH casing) ruber.

I'm generally pretty smooth but on an off-day I can be a hack.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, I might as well post the pic