Quantcast

Lourdes--18d : 22h : 34m

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yep. But I still can't see where you are aiming at.
Only thing I know is how impressive the gains in speed are on the road if you optimize your position and equipment for aerodynamics. At DH speeds this will sure add up if you optimize for lower drag. In contrast, larger wheels will create more drag and have huge disadvantages in cross winds.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
What I can see is people using what is best for them for the track they are on.
Super tight vs wide open.
Big gnar vs moar bikepark.

What about the old differing sizes front and rear? Even moar customz.

:ban::busted:

Sep 11, 2015
Yep. But I still can't see where you are aiming at.
Only thing I know is how impressive the gains in speed are on the road if you optimize your position and equipment for aerodynamics. At DH speeds this will sure add up if you optimize for lower drag. In contrast, larger wheels will create more drag and have huge disadvantages in cross winds.
I'm not really aiming at anything. I don't care what any of those bike jockeys wear. I think these 29er developments are more interesting.

I'm sorry they took yer skin suits away, though. You seem upset about it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Can't wait to see all the 29" wheels wobbling and exploding all over the place. Bring it on!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm not really aiming at anything. I don't care what any of those bike jockeys wear. I think these 29er developments are more interesting.

I'm sorry they took yer skin suits away, though. You seem upset about it.
I agree that I think the development is interesting. However, knowing the bike industry they won't sell anything else then what the pros ride in 3 year. This has happened with enduro bikes as well. First they evolved to be lightweight, 160 mm travel, 26" fun machines. Thanks to enduro racing now they are mini DH bikes that are too much for local trails. Yes, I know, I can now get an aggressive trail bike with 130 mm travel, but why not keep some diversity in the bike class and also offer some non-racing options? Canyon is doing it with a regular and race option of their enduro. :clapping:

I am not upset about the skinsuit. Just sad to see the development following fashion instead of speed. I would have loved that bikes get more aero for fast tracks. Something we had in the history of our sport already, e.g.:

http://www.malcolmfearon.com/-/galleries/bliss-images-mtb-archive/-/medias/8bf77107-10bd-492e-aed9-e810e3433827-intense-bike-fairing-1995?gallery=820c07d7-b78c-4d30-b112-4d27c0a604fd&hit_num=74&hits=252&page=2&per_page=50&prev=ab1a6e6c-167c-4d74-8801-794d24da6812&search=mountain+bike&search_in_gallery=1

No linky possible. :disgust:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This has happened with enduro bikes as well. First they evolved to be lightweight, 160 mm travel, 26" fun machines. Thanks to enduro racing now they are mini DH bikes that are too much for local trails.
preach it dude. over the weekend i saw two dudes, probably younger HS aged kids on full enduro bikes at the local XC trails. biggest vertical is maybe 200-300 feet. it's mostly a flat pedalfest.

Sep 11, 2015
I agree that I think the development is interesting. However, knowing the bike industry they won't sell anything else then what the pros ride in 3 year. This has happened with enduro bikes as well. First they evolved to be lightweight, 160 mm travel, 26" fun machines. Thanks to enduro racing now they are mini DH bikes that are too much for local trails. Yes, I know, I can now get an aggressive trail bike with 130 mm travel, but why not keep some diversity in the bike class and also offer some non-racing options? Canyon is doing it with a regular and race option of their enduro. :clapping:

I am not upset about the skinsuit. Just sad to see the development following fashion instead of speed. I would have loved that bikes get more aero for fast tracks. Something we had in the history of our sport already, e.g.:

http://www.malcolmfearon.com/-/galleries/bliss-images-mtb-archive/-/medias/8bf77107-10bd-492e-aed9-e810e3433827-intense-bike-fairing-1995?gallery=820c07d7-b78c-4d30-b112-4d27c0a604fd&hit_num=74&hits=252&page=2&per_page=50&prev=ab1a6e6c-167c-4d74-8801-794d24da6812&search=mountain+bike&search_in_gallery=1

No linky possible. :disgust:
All I have to offer regarding your enduro bike woes is a big shrug. I would be surprised if the only DH bike you can buy in 3 years is a 29er, but I'm often wrong about such things.

Regarding aero DH bikes, wouldn't it be so richly ironic if the Athertons asked Trek to bring back this marvel? :sarcastic:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All I have to offer regarding your enduro bike woes is a big shrug. I would be surprised if the only DH bike you can buy in 3 years is a 29er, but I'm often wrong about such things.

Regarding aero DH bikes, wouldn't it be so richly ironic if the Athertons asked Trek to bring back this marvel? :sarcastic:

they're british, not stupid.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge

29ers are like irritating commercial jingles. They slowly erode your convictions. I'm still holding out, but the world is moving on without me. :(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
this thread is way off topic, but we may as well ride the lightning...

i wonder how many people we know are overbiked, now that you mention it? Years ago, I got an enduro 29, and while I loved the bike, I quickly realized pedaling around 155mm of travel with 29" wheels on my local trails was fuckin' stupid. I got a lighter and shorter travel bike to replace it, but I wonder how many people are running around on 1.5 ply minions and 160mm 650b bikes for their local 100ft vertical drop?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm in that club. I bought a used 26" steel hardtail (Chromag Aperture) last summer. Save my SB6 for real mountains. Everything else gets the hardtail and I love it it. It makes boring flow trails somewhat fun.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i wonder how many people we know are overbiked, now that you mention it? Years ago, I got an enduro 29, and while I loved the bike, I quickly realized pedaling around 155mm of travel with 29" wheels on my local trails was fuckin' stupid. I got a lighter and shorter travel bike to replace it, but I wonder how many people are running around on 1.5 ply minions and 160mm 650b bikes for their local 100ft vertical drop?
remember bighitr riding XC on an ironhorse yakuza? :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm in that club. I bought a used 26" steel hardtail (Chromag Aperture) last summer. Save my SB6 for real mountains. Everything else gets the hardtail and I love it it. It makes boring flow trails somewhat fun.
i have an xc hardtail, but it's seen limited use since i herniated 2 discs back in 2015. my spitfire sees the most usage these days even when its overkill, because its easier on my back.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I am a talentless hack so I need all the millimeters I can get. Plus, good chunk can be found without 1000ft of vertical drop.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts

Me for sure. I hate pedaling for the sake of pedaling. I like to pedal to a drop, roller, jump, something fun to session (freeride?). I suck at pedaling, and I know 160mm doesn't help, but it sure makes everything else more fun. For me anyway. I just ordered a Nukeproof Mega 275 the other day actually. Getting rid of my Enduro. Losing 5mm of travel, so I guess I'm getting there?

Edit: Trail casing Minions.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am a talentless hack so I need all the millimeters I can get. Plus, good chunk can be found without 1000ft of vertical drop.
Unfortunately all my local XC trails get sanitized by the recently converted roadie, 29er XC crowd. If I want to be challenged I ride the cross bike on them (technically a 29er as well :brows:), otherwise a 130/100 mm bike with Old Skool XC geometry.

The local jumps get sanitized by the slope style/DJ crowd, so the 4X full susser it is! Before there were some rough landings and lose dirt, but no more. :rant:

I only overbike and ride the DH bike on local trails to get used to it again before going somewhere that justifies using 8" of travel.

Currently I don't have an ENDURO bike build up, but now that folks are dropping their 26" stuff for peanuts I am tempted. :D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
i ride a fucking uzzi with a 170mm fork and high rollers/minions everywhere. i'd rather suck it up locally and have something that can deal with the mountains than vice versa.
I used to be you.
Rode a 170mm All Mountain / Enduro / Hair Scrambles / Freeride / Whatever you want to call it.
Did this for several years, through 3 frames actually. Got sick of the weight and pedalling around my local +/- 30 feet of elevation local trails. Hell the 140mm trail bike is still way mucho, but there are things around that I can make that work on. For the DH, the 170 was fun on the flow / jump stuff, but on the tech, was not enough for my old hack ass. So, now I am a guy who rides either 215 or 140

Mucho more comfortable riding this way.
So, now technically, I guess I am still over-biked for local, :twitch: but road trips are taken for a reason.:dance:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I used to be you.
Rode a 170mm All Mountain / Enduro / Hair Scrambles / Freeride / Whatever you want to call it.
Did this for several years, through 3 frames actually. Got sick of the weight and pedalling around my local +/- 30 feet of elevation local trails. Hell the 140mm trail bike is still way mucho, but there are things around that I can make that work on. For the DH, the 170 was fun on the flow / jump stuff, but on the tech, was not enough for my old hack ass. So, now I am a guy who rides either 215 or 140

Mucho more comfortable riding this way.
So, now technically, I guess I am still over-biked for local, :twitch: but road trips are taken for a reason.:dance:
I think what you have is perfect for around here. I too have the long travel DH bike and a 140mm trail bike. DH for Blue, the odd local DH and Quebec. Trail bike for literally everything else. You're never really outgunned around these parts on 140mm.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I think what you have is perfect for around here. I too have the long travel DH bike and a 140mm trail bike. DH for Blue, the odd local DH and Quebec. Trail bike for literally everything else. You're never really outgunned around these parts on 140mm.

Speaking of Quebec, Nate, myself and maybe a couple others are thinking about Bromont on the weekend after the may2-4 (Their first full weekend open) Thoughts?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
All this over/under-biked blather is silly. I run my bike the opposite of my mullet:

Gravel Grinder frame for local business casual trails, Zoch Shiver up front for gnar parties.

(Dear Zombie Jesus Bunny, now that you're back [again?], can you please hit the fast forward button on the space time continuum and get us to April 29th already? XOXOXOXOXOXO
Your besty,
Jackalope)

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
All this over/under-biked blather is silly. I run my bike the opposite of my mullet:

Gravel Grinder frame for local business casual trails, Zoch Shiver up front for gnar parties.
This is endgame of that R.C. tenure'd MBFiction days for each of us and all of us. Recall how many categories their Bike Buyers Guide would have? Black Diamond Bikes - Double / Triple Black Diamond Bikes. XC - Trial - Free Ride... all while looking for a pot to piss in.

Once it'd be repeated where not to ride a particualr bike, and then some gaping maw attempt at rationalizing it, I found the business end of the sport silly and embarrassing - all in part of MBFiction attempting to define the sport.

I'd held myself to the underlying theme in the responses here; ride with a goal and simply ride the trails as they are designed.

(Dear Zombie Jesus Bunny, now that you're back [again?], can you please hit the fast forward button on the space time continuum and get us to April 29th already? XOXOXOXOXOXO
Your besty,
Jackalope)
Ask this Bunny for Pedal Washers that cleanly fit under Crank Boots. McMaster Carr has near nothing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Speaking of Quebec, Nate, myself and maybe a couple others are thinking about Bromont on the weekend after the may2-4 (Their first full weekend open) Thoughts?
This would be 27th and 28th? I'm away in PA the weekend before so two weekends in a row might be tough, but I will definitely keep it in mind. I've been seriously itching for some Bromont, it has been too long.