Quantcast

Mavic 821 rims

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
@slyfink - 26" only believe it or not. They are doing a 650b in the 521 though.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
its actually a code to understanding them. once you understand the code, you understand mavic. except for their pedals.
Yep, all '8' series rims are tubeless, '7' series rims are the highest grade alloy (Maxtal) non-tubeless rims, '5' series rims are an alloy grade down (there aren't many of these), and the '3' series are their most basic, entry-level rims. The numbers following the series number refer to the width. Pretty simple.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep, all '8' series rims are tubeless, '7' series rims are the highest grade alloy (Maxtal) non-tubeless rims, '5' series rims are an alloy grade down (there aren't many of these), and the '3' series are their most basic, entry-level rims. The numbers following the series number refer to the width. Pretty simple.
there you have it. mavic's konami code.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
So Mavic has a new rim that is still way too narrow for anything but XC use? :confused:
Siiiiiiick!

I'll be pumped when they have an 830.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So Mavic has a new rim that is still way too narrow for anything but XC use? :confused:
Siiiiiiick!

I'll be pumped when they have an 830.
Your comment is nonsensical because Mavic uses inner rim width, not outer rim width like most other companies.

For example...Mavic 721 is 21mm inner and 28mm outer. 823 is 23mm inner and 29.5mm outer.

Compare that to something like the Spank Spike 28...28mm outer, but 23mm inner.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I thought I would never see that day! I guess Mavic realized their strategy of offering such a rim with their system wheels only was making them lose a lot of sales.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so are these trail-weight rims, or DH-weight rims? I'm on Flow EXs now. Something in that weight range would be lovely, even if they'll be a little less wide. Ideally, I'd love to see an 823 coming in at around 500g. Would that be an XM 823 or an EN 823.

Funny anecdote: as I typed this, I went on Mavic's site to figure out the difference between EN, EX, and XM. When using their "rim finder" I checked "All Mountain" for "Practice", "yes" for UST, and tire sizes 2.1 to 2.5. They don't offer a rim for that tire combination. Which is very surprising since it seems to comprise a large part of the market, or at least represents a large segment.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Meh. I want a 723, or a 721 without the rim brake sidewalls that collapse/crack on rocks. I'd rather shave my scrotum with a butter knife than run tubeless again.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Meh. I want a 723, or a 721 without the rim brake sidewalls that collapse/crack on rocks. I'd rather shave my scrotum with a butter knife than run tubeless again.
Get the 521 cheap and replace them when they crack.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
so are these trail-weight rims, or DH-weight rims? I'm on Flow EXs now. Something in that weight range would be lovely, even if they'll be a little less wide. Ideally, I'd love to see an 823 coming in at around 500g. Would that be an XM 823 or an EN 823.

Funny anecdote: as I typed this, I went on Mavic's site to figure out the difference between EN, EX, and XM. When using their "rim finder" I checked "All Mountain" for "Practice", "yes" for UST, and tire sizes 2.1 to 2.5. They don't offer a rim for that tire combination. Which is very surprising since it seems to comprise a large part of the market, or at least represents a large segment.
They are pretty similar to the rims used on the Crossmax SX, so I'd say they fall into the 'light-duty DH' category or squarely in the 'heavy duty All mountain/Enduro' category. It should address the segment that you found lacking in their line - and it should have been in there years ago IMO.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
They are pretty similar to the rims used on the Crossmax SX, so I'd say they fall into the 'light-duty DH' category or squarely in the 'heavy duty All mountain/Enduro' category. It should address the segment that you found lacking in their line - and it should have been in there years ago IMO.
now you've got me excited. I can even feel my heart rate go up a little...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Mavic 721 is 21mm inner and 28mm outer. 823 is 23mm inner and 29.5mm outer.

Compare that to something like the Spank Spike 28...28mm outer, but 23mm inner.
And all those rims are too narrow to give a tire over 2.1" a decent profile. These days most people consider sub 21mm to be purely XC, 23-25mm for AM, and 25+ for DH. The Spike 28 is an AM/Slopestyle rim. For DH people use the Subrosa 25mm or the Spike 29mm. Mavic is the only company stuck on narrow rims and besides a few loyal customers most of us don't get it.
With the following rims available:
Notubes Flow EX
WTB i25
Spank Subrosa
Spank Spike
Light Bicycles AM
Light Bicycles DH
The new Derby rims
Why would you buy anything from Mavic?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i dunno, i used to use wider rims and have actually been going back to somewhat narrower rims. on outlaws now, just picked up a set of wheels on 721's which aren't terribly narrower... maybe 4mm tops? i personally prefer the tire profile on a narrower rim.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Yes, it did. It's called MX series. 4 different widths.
However, there are not much reviews on English-speaking forums... Maybe on bike-news.de?
Moreover, German's Bike magazine hasn't been exited about them during the test, even though, it's a local product/brand.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes, it did. It's called MX series. 4 different widths.
However, there are not much reviews on English-speaking forums... Maybe on bike-news.de?
Moreover, German's Bike magazine hasn't been exited about them during the test, even though, it's a local product/brand.
What do you mean hasn't been excited? Durability issues? I remember pinkbike tested the mx35 and they were optimistic even if the test was short.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
What do you mean hasn't been excited? Durability issues? I remember pinkbike tested the mx35 and they were optimistic even if the test was short.
Pinkbike?? Pinkbike?? Pinkbike is a optimistic about every product they test; that's why companies give them product to test. They are an industry promotion machine and not much more.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
From what I managed to find and understand, rims dented quite easily.
It was Bike Magazine or Freeride test.