Quantcast

McCain suspends campaign for 'historic' crisis

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
McCain suspends campaign for 'historic' crisis

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Republican presidential candidate John McCain announced Wednesday that he is suspending his campaign to return to Washington and focus on the "historic" crisis facing the U.S. economy. McCain said it was time for both parties to come together to solve economic crisis.

McCain said it was time for both parties to come together to solve economic crisis.

The Arizona senator called on his Democratic rival, Barack Obama, to do the same. He also urged organizers of Friday's presidential debate at the University of Mississippi to postpone the event.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/24/campaign.wrap/index.html

Political move, or actual concern for the economy????? I don't see him productively helping "fix" the economy on a Friday night personally.

If it is a political move, it is one of the slickest I've seen in a while. Repubs often don't do well in times of economic worry, but this makes it look like he is being proactive and it makes Obama (at least that's what the pundits will drill into us) look bad if he wants to go ahead with the debate.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Everything he says or does between now and election date serves one purpose, to win the election. Perhaps not to the same degree, but the same can be said for the other side too.

As for Obama's move, I suspect he will agree in that the economy comes first, but he may counter that they should change the debate topic from foreign policy to the economy.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Obama follows suit in 3, 2, 1...
Agreed, Obama would be an idiot not to follow suit. I'd love to see him man up and call McCain out for not debating, but that would be political suicide.

Well I guess, my drinking debate game plans are now postponed :nopity:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Agreed, Obama would be an idiot not to follow suit. I'd love to see him man up and call McCain out for not debating, but that would be political suicide.

Well I guess, my drinking debate game plans are now postponed :nopity:
Obama should counter that Biden and Palin debate this Friday instead. After all, aren't VPs supposed to step in when the Commander in Chief isn't available?

If so I'll have to make new bingo cards.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
He asked to reschedule the first debate as well. I am all in favor of this so long as they move it off of a Friday. Why they scheduled a debate for Friday night at 9 pm in the first place I will never understand.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wow!!! Obama is saying that he thinks the debate should be held.

This is going to get interesting

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Wow!!! Obama is saying that he thinks the debate should be held.
As well it should. McCain needs to grow a pair and stop pretending like this isn't the biggest political ploy of all time. What do you do when you're 9 points down in the polls on the economy? Rovian smoke screen! If McCain really had an altruistic concern for economic crisis why didn't he suspend his campaign last week? Oh right, because the "fundamentals of the American economy are sound."

Last edited:

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Obama is clearly more interested in his own career than the health of the country, if he wasn't he would have selected Hillary as his running mate.

Typical. If the nations's woes are ever fixed the left will have no platform, so it's a conflict of interest for the left to actually improve things. So the political circle-jerk will continue forever.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
as Well It Should. Mccain Needs To Grow A Pair And Stop Pretending Like This Isn't The Biggest Political Ploy Of All Time. What Do You Do When You're 9 Points Down In The Polls On The Economy? Rovian Smoke Screen!
Obama has 2 black children!!!

Obama is clearly more interested in his own career than the health of the country, if he wasn't he would have selected Hillary as his running mate.

Typical. If the nations's woes are ever fixed the left will have no platform, so it's a conflict of interest for the left to actually improve things. So the political circle-jerk will continue forever.
Not picking Hillary was a smart choice, she bashed him and played dirty during the primaries, so it would be unwise to pick her.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
URGEN MESSAGE FROM NIGERIA, ER, AMERICA

Dear American:

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
So, McCain is going to 'sacrifice' campaigning, spending money on ads, not have to face a very well spoken, intelligent opponent while he reads his own name from an index card so he can be goddamn Underdog and soar into DC to 'fix' the crisis that 200 financially educated minds haven't been able to do yet, all on a Friday?

Could it be that because he and his campaign finance chairman, Phil Gramm, created the fvck up in the first place?

To me, this looks seizing an opportunity to
1. Save money by not flying the jet or running ads while
2. Not having to face this generations JFK at debating (honestly, it'll be like Quayle/Benson) and
3. Making himself appear to be a martyr for the 'merican tax payer.

Not this much pandering for votes since , umm, the Palin pick.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
McCain concerned with the economy? You do realize that he was one of the strongest legislative supporters of Miliken and the de-regulation of banks that led to the junk-bond fueled 1987 market collapse. He's actually listed as one of 5 that were in the pocket of the guilty parties.

He's just as dirty as the rest of them.

F* it, I'm voting libertarian.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Wow the guy that likes to fight turns tail and runs.

And when Biden mops the floor with Palin he'll be called a bully for picking on a helpless hockey mom.

This year you can smell the bullsh1t before it comes out of the bull.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
McCain said it himself that he's not so keen on debates...so it does make sense that he would cancel at some level and use the economy as an excuse...hell, anything makes sense after the Palin pick....Oh well, much better to back to "Town Hall" meetings (with pre-screened audiences).

BACK TO THE BUBBLE!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
As David Letterman pointed out today, why not put your second string quarterback in to run the campaign?

Oh yea, that's why...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
As David Letterman pointed out today, why not put your second string quarterback in to run the campaign?

Oh yea, that's why...
Jesus Christ, what a retard...

It's an absolute disgrace if this woman somehow "helps" McCain in his bid.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
To think that McCain is both a Maverick progressive and a champion of deregulation/free market economics is straight doublethink. Like **** right out of 1984....

1984 said:
The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them . . . . To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed,to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies — all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Presidential pwnage:

:clapping:
as much as mccain should be poo-poo'd for leaving obama @ the altar, obama himself made 2 errors in 1 stmt (around 1:30 or so), "whoever is elected in 40 or so days is going to be responsible for dealing with this mess"

1: since he's a sitting senator, he already has a vote to cast on those pesky legislative things, which hopefully "deal with this mess"
2: bush will still be the decider until late january; don't pick out the drapes just yet

perhaps obama should join palin & use this time to bone up on gov't 101 before the debates

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
as much as mccain should be poo-poo'd for leaving obama @ the altar, obama himself made 2 errors in 1 stmt (around 1:30 or so), "whoever is elected in 40 or so days is going to be responsible for dealing with this mess"

1: since he's a sitting senator, he already has a vote to cast on those pesky legislative things, which hopefully "deal with this mess"
2: bush will still be the decider until late january; don't pick out the drapes just yet

perhaps obama should join palin & use this time to bone up on gov't 101 before the debates

I'm not seeing no errors just some straw grasping. When does saying, "whoever is elected in 40 or so days is going to be responsible for dealing with this mess" imply that he isn't going to be involved in in this vote to pass this "legislative thing" or that he's picking out drapes????

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm not seeing no errors just some straw grasping. When does saying, "whoever is elected in 40 or so days is going to be responsible for dealing with this mess" imply that he isn't going to be involved in in this vote to pass this "legislative thing" or that he's picking out drapes????
fair enough.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I would totally fight you on Friday, yeah. It's on. Behind the schoolyard. Yeah, you better be ready 'cause I'm gonna kick yerass. Except I'm feeling kind of sick. Yeah, I think I'm coming down with something. Yeah, it sucks, 'cause I'd prefer to kick your ass, but I'll probably be home sick this whole week.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If the nations's woes are ever fixed the left will have no platform
I couldn't agree more. If we weren't in an unjustified and misdirected overseas war (and one justified but underfunded overseas war) and an economic tailspin with a worthless dollar and the largest debt in history with a looming historic budget deficit with a crumbling national infrastructure and ever-increasing destruction of public parks and wilderness areas and unprecedented suspension of rights in the face of a growing global terrorist threat, then the left wouldn't stand a chance.

Last edited:

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
I couldn't agree more. If we weren't in an unjustified and misdirected overseas war (and one justified but underfunded overseas war) and an economic tailspin with a worthless dollar and the largest debt in history with a looming historic budget deficit with a crumbling national infrastructure and ever-increasing destruction of public parks and wilderness areas and unprecedented suspension of rights in the face of a growing global terrorist threat, then the left wouldn't stand a chance.
even afghanistan isn't looking to justifiable, since the Taliban offered to give bin Laden up, but Bush said no

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/bush-rejects-taliban-offer-to-surrender-bin-laden-631436.html

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
u forgot "unsupervised economic markets"

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
We were never really hunting Bin Ladin. The GOP and the NeoCons need him as a target to base their unconstitutional and treasonal initiatives around.
Besides, the Bush's are friends with his folks.