Quantcast

Meet our new doggie

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Our first doggie, actually. This is Jewell, a retired racing greyhound. That was her track name and we're keeping it. We picked her up about two hours ago. This was a dog we rescued from the Plainfield, CT track closing. See this thread for the story.

HOORAY! I felt this needed a new thread.

(I'm sleepy...)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Coolness.

Good luck running after her if she takes off!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
WAIT!!

Dude, that's Santa's Little Helper!! You HAVE to rename that dog!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Congratulations!! I have two rescued Greyhounds and they are wonderful dogs!! I also work with a greyhound adoption group and have done a bit of fostering. If you have any question, please feel free to PM or e-mail me. Greyhounds are amazing animals, but because they have been used to living a life that consists soley of sitting in a crate all day and running around a track, you do have to introduce them to a lot of "normal" things in everyday life. For example, stairs, glass doors, vaccum cleaners, you get the idea. People often mistake them for dumb because at first they don't understand these things, but they are actually VERY intelligent, and will pick up things very quickly. My female Grey, Indy, can open up cabinet doors with baby locks! They love human attention and will do anything to please you. Wonderful dogs.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
LOL.....man, there are probably a million greyhounds named Santa's Little Helper.
Ok nevermind, that was ghey.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
CONGRATS!!!!!!

I'm so happy you guys got one....and she's gorgeous :D

You'll have to keep us updated on how she's settling in!

Alien dogs unite! :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Damn True said:
Oh man what a cool lookin critter!

She looks like she is absolutely spring loaded.
Yeah, I had to practically jog to keep up her walking pace this morning. :D

She is definitely a curious little thing.

Thanks, everyone!!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
That's awesome IAB/MBC!! I think greyhounds are beautiful animals. Unfortunately, severe allergies will keep me from ever getting a dog or cat, but we have my daughter's goldfish...and they keep me amused. :)

Unless I can find a Labradoodle.... :think:

"A cross between the Labrador Retriever and Standard Poodle, the Labradoodle was started when Wally Cochran was approached by a blind woman who suffered severe allergies to dogs in the 1970's. His vision was to create a dog who could aid the physically impaired, and have the low-maintenance and temperament of the Labrador Retriever, and the allergen-reduced coat of the Standard Poodle."

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Congrats. Of course the cats hate her, it is against Cat Union rules to like dogs. It is ok to tease the dog until she chases the cat (and gets yelled at for it).

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Our first doggie, actually. This is Jewell, a retired racing greyhound. That was her track name and we're keeping it. We picked her up about two hours ago. This was a dog we rescued from the Plainfield, CT track closing. See this thread for the story.

]

aww....how cool :thumb:

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
how old is she? sounds awesome, and from the pics has come kickass eyes. (or is that just the flash?)
my dog has one green eye, and one eye split brown on bottom, white in the middle, blue on top. he scares other dogs. :thumb:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
flatulant_man said:
how old is she? sounds awesome, and from the pics has come kickass eyes. (or is that just the flash?)
my dog has one green eye, and one eye split brown on bottom, white in the middle, blue on top. he scares other dogs. :thumb:
She is three years old, born in Feb '02 (it's tattooed inside their ears). She's got big brown eyes, but the flash makes her look spooky. :D

She slept like a rock last night. She cried and cried the first night, but the second night she didn't make a peep. HOORAY!!! Good doggie.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

And she is thinking "Silly humans, the bed goes on the couch."

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
awesome.... it is so great that you guys were able to help out and save a greyhound. besides that your gonna have another member of the family from here on in!!! congrats

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Congrats... She already looks really happy to be there.

The cats on the other hand, well..... They are just going to have to deal, cause dogs rule!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
So where is Doggie Now ? While you 2 are at work ?
In her crate. Racing greyhunds spend 20 hours a day in a small cage, so they are used to being crated and actually think of it as a sanctuary. We open the crate and she runs right in.