Quantcast

Metal is not dead.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
that song bat country sucks nuts! for hardcore-esque, i really like atreyu. for metal, chek out Burn Me Down, a local band from my area.

www.bmdmetal.com

soo damn good for an unsigned band.

CHECK IT!

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
xy9ine said:
... there's also a boris / sunn 0))) show the same week - sludgy droning good times.
Sounds kind of random, but your post made me think of this

I know these knucleheads in Portland,ME who have a doom outfit called Ocean. If Southern Lord were to ever pick them up it would be Earth, Sunn 0))), & Ocean all on the same label.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ROCKLAND said:
I know these knucleheads in Portland,ME who have a doom outfit called Ocean. If Southern Lord were to ever pick them up it would be Earth, Sunn 0))), & Ocean all on the same label.
some how i think Air would be a mis-match.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
sirknight6 said:
While I cannot comment on Avenge 7fold, the aformantioned bands are killer. I my self like Children of Bodom and of course Kalmah is off the chain!
Kalmah and Bodom are super good too. As I lay dieing is good too, but my fav. band is Wintersun, has anyone heard or them?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Wintersun is so good. I'm listening to "winter madness" right now.

I also like Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Slayer, Trivium, Manowar, Therion, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Armored Saint, Judas Priest, to name a few.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I heard some old Avenged songs and liked it, then I saw that MTV vid and it made me want to shoot the TV like Elvis did. Horrid crap, but if you like it thats fine by me. I like real obscure metal that people think sounds like complete crap and I dont let it get me down. Speaking of, Im gonna listen to some Fantomas now....
I frikken love you. Fantomas is incredible. Saw 'em live in Ventura and it made me appreciate them 10x more. Their timing is ridiculous.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm hardly an authority on metal, but hanging around the southern lord forum has shown me a thing or two. i dig the new Lair of the Minotaur record, and haven't recently seen the light re: Celtic Frost.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dillinger Escape Plan
They are a hot steaming scoop of fury, badass

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
i'm hardly an authority on metal, but hanging around the southern lord forum has shown me a thing or two. i dig the new Lair of the Minotaur record, and haven't recently seen the light re: Celtic Frost.
The Ultimate Destroyer? or is there something more recent? Pretty good album. The closing track, they slow things down, is sweet.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nah, not new, but new to me.

if you like ambient noise/metal/drone stuff (and who doesn't?), be sure to check out what Aidan Baker is churning out via his Nadja moniker.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Celtic Frost was incredibly entertaining when I was 16.

"Morbid Tales" is a great album when you've been up on speed for three days.

"To Mega Therion" is the album you listen to while on the back of a war elephant driving your foes before you and crushing their villages.

"Into the Pandemonium" is...good. Really good.

"Cold Lake" is the most unforgivable POS ever put out by any band. Ever.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Eh i'm not a fan of avenged sevenfold it needs some screaming or something.

That is why I hate most metal. I can't stand the screaming, not that I have anything against screaming just metal screaming got worn out about 18 years ago.

Wadsworth

Chimp
Apr 9, 2007
Celtic Frost was incredibly entertaining when I was 16.

"Morbid Tales" is a great album when you've been up on speed for three days.

"To Mega Therion" is the album you listen to while on the back of a war elephant driving your foes before you and crushing their villages.

"Into the Pandemonium" is...good. Really good.

"Cold Lake" is the most unforgivable POS ever put out by any band. Ever.
Every time someone mentions Celtic Frost, I'm reminded of the classic S.O.D. song, "Celtic Frosted Flakes".

I'm way more in to the "old school" metal, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth. But, the few bands that have come out in the last 5-10 years that have caught my ear are Trivium(those guys shred), Lamb of God, Demiricous, and Mastodon. The new Killswitch is surprisingly good. And just to clear the air, Avenged is more of like a modern day glam band. A toothless Motley Crue comes to mind. ;)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just heard "the rising", on the cd, Crusade by Trivium. It's really good.

edit:now I heard "Seize the night" by Wolf. It's almost like Iron Maiden.

I'm listening to this stuff on Pandora.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - band photoshoots are complete bullsh1t. I fvcking hate just about every single photoshoot I've ever done. A couple with friends were ok, but for the most part a photo session is a required evil of the business. Magazines require "exclusive" photos with articles, etc.

If it were me I'd never be in any more band pics.

That said, some bands love that sh1t. They are what I like to call, "candy-assed poser bitch whores".

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
BTW - band photoshoots are complete bullsh1t. I fvcking hate just about every single photoshoot I've ever done. A couple with friends were ok, but for the most part a photo session is a required evil of the business. Magazines require "exclusive" photos with articles, etc.

That said, some bands love that sh1t. They are what I like to call, "candy-assed poser bitch whores".
POTD:clapping:

I guess Tool is of the same opinion as you.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

just so i remain unsoiled in H8R's eyes (at least in this regard), i've never done a promo shoot for a band. live shots only.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
just so i remain unsoiled in H8R's eyes (at least in this regard), i've never done a promo shoot for a band. live shots only.
Right. Sure you haven't.

I bet you are booked solid with emo bands next week.

:monkeydance:

Sep 17, 2006
Metal has become a wayyyyy too broadly used term nowadays. I wouldn't even consider avenged sevenfold to be anything near metal. Just look at their band pic. WTF. Looks pretty emo or h-core. I guess I wont hate on their music, but it bothers me to see people calling certain bands metal.

Most everything should follow back to Iron Maiden in some sort of way or influence, but there are some unique ones out there that I'd still call metal. I'll name a few: Iron Maiden (of course), Megadeth, Metallica, Iced Earth, Slayer, Kreator, Exodus, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Sabbath, Pantera, Testament, Children of Bodom, Death, Dream Theater, OPETH.

But, what do I know... I've only been around people who have been in the industry for the past 30 years

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Most everything should follow back to Iron Maiden in some sort of way or influence, but there are some unique ones out there that I'd still call metal. I'll name a few: Iron Maiden (of course), Megadeth, Metallica, Iced Earth, Slayer, Kreator, Exodus, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Sabbath, Pantera, Testament, Children of Bodom, Death, Dream Theater, OPETH.
:think:

I'll study and report back here to see if you're right.
http://www.hellfest.fr
:D

Sep 17, 2006
One of my friends uncles is Paul Baloff, the old lead singer of Exodus.

And that list you had up. I wouldn't consider everything on there 100% metal. I guess it could pass, but there are some weak spots. And it could use a few more thrash bands as well.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Wait - Baloff passed away some time ago, right? Sorry if that's true.