Quantcast

Modern full face helmets

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So after returning to the sport and riding less than 2 months I destroyed my full face helmet. Still have my old Fox open face but I need something for more serious riding. Since I missed on enduro full face helmets becoming a thing I have no idea where to use them. Are they a good choice for bike park park and harder trials for are they only for show ?
Any helmets worth mentioning? Poc? Leat?

PS. Are code brake pads made from garbage ? Crashed when I no longer had a working brake

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Buy the one that fits, and you'll wear when the riding warrants, rather than defaulting to the half shell.

I know it's not the hardcore thing to say, but a light enduro is fine in bike parks if you only go a few times per year. No need to buy a $500 carbon Rampage. Again, a light FF is better than a half.

And yes, the OEM Code pads are pretty wimpy. Just about any of the aftermarket ones are better (Galfer, Trickstuff, MTX).

gonefirefightin

free wieners
When it comes to DH I just buy the inexpensive moto helmets, the weight is negligible they are plentiful, They all work with any brace, DOT legal with certified protection and are rated for much bigger impacts and speeds, More sizes than DH-specific helmets and vent better than MTB Variants and I replace them every year since I tend to sweat much more on the DH bike than I do the motos, as a bonus moto helmets are prepped with pockets and channels to install a cardo pack talk or sena communicator for badass sounding tunes while riding or make calls on the lift or pair up via Bluetooth/mesh with riding buddies. it's the new thing.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Buy the one that fits, and you'll wear when the riding warrants, rather than defaulting to the half shell.

I know it's not the hardcore thing to say, but a light enduro is fine in bike parks if you only go a few times per year. No need to buy a $500 carbon Rampage. Again, a light FF is better than a half.

And yes, the OEM Code pads are pretty wimpy. Just about any of the aftermarket ones are better (Galfer, Trickstuff, MTX).
I explicitly said I want a ff helmet. I’m asking about the difference between enduro and dh full face ones

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
When shopping for a FF helmet, I try to find one with good enough coverage and the best ventilation possible. Hot days are hot.
so one of those enduro things or a well vented dh helmet? I was looking at poc coron and will try one on when I come back to the city

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
so one of those enduro things or a well vented dh helmet? I was looking at poc coron and will try one on when I come back to the city
A well vented DH helmet. I also have a TLD Stage and a convertible Leatt Enduro helmet and they are flimsy compared to a real DH FF helmet.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Fox Proframe is OK for in between stuff, but if I ride serious DH I use a real DH helmet. My decision is usually based on this: if only knee pads are OK, then the Proframe is fine, if I grab the spine/shoulder/ellbow protector vest, then DH helmet it is.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fit fit fit. That's what's important. That requires trying on helmets. Everyone's head is different.

This can be problematic if you don't have any shops that carry FF or parks nearby, but it's way better to find a helmet that fits well rather than a billion other things that are not nearly as important as this one overriding factor.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was under the impression things had moved on a bit and there were a few one piece full face helmets aimed at the enderpo market offering similar levels of protection to the lightest DH full face helmets blurring the lines somewhat. I'd genuinely be surprised if some of the latest ones don't offer MOAR protection than my rattly old D2's from 20 years back did. But if by "real helmets" Woo meant moto helmets. Yeah. they're still cycling full face helmets.

Never had (or even seen) an issue with genuine SRAM (sintered) pads.
Did yours delaminate or something?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Fox is trash
TLD, 6D, bell, giro, POC etc all still make real helmets
While I prefer the build quality of others...

Fit fit fit. That's what's important.
... is the reason I run a Fox Proframe helmet as well as TLD D2s and D3. They seem to be the only two brands my head fits for FF helmets and TLD didn't have the Stage out at the time I got the Proframe.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was under the impression things had moved on a bit and there were a few one piece full face helmets aimed at the enderpo market offering similar levels of protection to the lightest DH full face helmets blurring the lines somewhat.
I'm talking about anything that's not dumb styrofoam xc lids with spit catchers, which still seem to be very much a thing

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have been using a Smith Mainline MIPS for a few months now.

The fit is perfect for my head, the helmet is quite light and well ventilated, has D-clips, etc. Another thing worth mentionning, the wide front opening on the chin guard makes it possible to drink from a water bottle without having to take the helmet off.

So far, I highly recommend it for an Enduro helmet.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I'm really happy with the specialized gambit. Its DH rated, I wear it at the park. I'd probably feel a little vulnerable with it riding stuff the size of whistler A line because its very light, well vented, and has plastic clips instead of a D ring for the chin strap, but its still carrying a DH rating. If I every get to the point where I'm hitting stuff that big on the regular I'd buy a full on DH helmet.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm talking about anything that's not dumb styrofoam xc lids with spit catchers, which still seem to be very much a thing
Sure. Those are still a thing. and probably always will be. Lightweight one piece fullface helmets with good levels of protection but designed with enough ventilation not to be so horrendous when worn all day pedalling up multiple hills do seem to be an option now too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Fit fit fit. That's what's important. That requires trying on helmets. Everyone's head is different.

This can be problematic if you don't have any shops that carry FF or parks nearby, but it's way better to find a helmet that fits well rather than a billion other things that are not nearly as important as this one overriding factor.
You are not getting my question though. I am not asking which specific helmet. For that I know fit is important. My question is are enduro full face helmets with dh cert good enough. This has nothing to do with fit. I just destroyed a full face DH helmet (though I was a bit unlucky with hitting my head on the one rock with no rocks for 20m. Small double drop, just landed on my head due to my code R not slowing me down properly) . I don't want my head turned into mush. Fit doesn't affect protection.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Fit absolutely affects protection. If the helmet isn’t properly fitting to your head it’s going to move and rotate independently from your head in the event of a crash and reduce its ability to protect.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You are not getting my question though. I am not asking which specific helmet. For that I know fit is important. My question is are enduro full face helmets with dh cert good enough. This has nothing to do with fit. I just destroyed a full face DH helmet (though I was a bit unlucky with hitting my head on the one rock with no rocks for 20m. Small double drop, just landed on my head due to my code R not slowing me down properly) . I don't want my head turned into mush. Fit doesn't affect protection.
If they are certified, so what is your question?
The fit question is an important one IMO, as a true DH helmet fits tight like a MX helmet. All these enduro lids, with detachable or build-in chin bars, are better ventilated, so that means less padding directly on your head. While this keeps them cooler, I can imagine this also makes the helmet move more under impact or even slip off your head, leaving less/no protection for the second impact.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If they are certified, so what is your question?
The fit question is an important one IMO, as a true DH helmet fits tight like a MX helmet. All these enduro lids, with detachable or build-in chin bars, are better ventilated, so that means less padding directly on your head. While this keeps them cooler, I can imagine this also makes the helmet move more under impact or even slip off your head, leaving less/no protection for the second impact.
But my question is about helmet safety. Are DH certified Enduro helmets as sturdy as full on DH helmets? Is it as durable just less padded? Fit doesn't affect this question. A helmet fitting well won't make it more durable. The problem I see here is many people are answering a generic "what helmet I should buy" question where "the one that fits best" is the most important answer. The thing is you know me. You know I know that fit is important. This is why I'm not going to go "hell me this specific helmet is best". I am asking about broad categories so I can later chose the best fitting helmet in said categories.

You are basically trying to leapfrog the most important question of "should I even consider enduro ff helmets" and jump to point #2 which FF helmets fit my head well. I'm not ignoring fit. it's just not what I'm asking about so please don't give me answers I have not asked for.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Fit absolutely affects protection. If the helmet isn’t properly fitting to your head it’s going to move and rotate independently from your head in the event of a crash and reduce its ability to protect.
But that's not my question. I know a better fitting helmet is safer. I will be looking for a better fitting helmet but that's totally not the point of this treat. The point of this thread is to ask if I should ignore or consider Enduro helmets and if maybe some enduro FF helmets are OK while others aren't.

Then from those I will look for ones that fit well. I mean It seems to me like some people had some ill fitting helmets here and some of the bumps affected their reading comprehension.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Sure. Those are still a thing. and probably always will be. Lightweight one piece fullface helmets with good levels of protection but designed with enough ventilation not to be so horrendous when worn all day pedalling up multiple hills do seem to be an option now too.
That's the ones I'm asking about. Not some weird detachable chinguard helmets for people who run pads on their knees. I've seen some POC models that look decent and I know POC helmets fit me well (hey it's the fit thing again) so I was curious.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
But my question is about helmet safety. Are DH certified Enduro helmets as sturdy as full on DH helmets? Is it as durable just less padded? Fit doesn't affect this question. A helmet fitting well won't make it more durable. The problem I see here is many people are answering a generic "what helmet I should buy" question where "the one that fits best" is the most important answer. The thing is you know me. You know I know that fit is important. This is why I'm not going to go "hell me this specific helmet is best". I am asking about broad categories so I can later chose the best fitting helmet in said categories.

You are basically trying to leapfrog the most important question of "should I even consider enduro ff helmets" and jump to point #2 which FF helmets fit my head well. I'm not ignoring fit. it's just not what I'm asking about so please don't give me answers I have not asked for.
i answered your question I thought in my post. If I was regularly hitting Whistler A line or bigger jumps/ features I’d want a fill on dh helmet and not a dh rated enduro helmet.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i answered your question I thought in my post. If I was regularly hitting Whistler A line or bigger jumps/ features I’d want a fill on dh helmet and not a dh rated enduro helmet.
And thank you for that. That's all I needed. I know fit is important. This is why I probably won't buy a Bell or a TLD since those tend to not fit me well. I will try newer models to be sure though. I will also avoid 100% since the one I just destroyed had the worst carbon weave I have even seen. I don't know how drunk everyone was at the factory that day but my expectation is very.

Generally I'm asking about burly Enduro Helmets since I know some enduro race tracks are not really easier than 3/4 of the world cup tracks. Some sections I rode over the years are not that different to what I could encounter in Maribor or Schladming. So I assumed Enduro helmets became more serious.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
This is sort of related. I was talking to a guy at Shoei about 6 years back. He said the main difference between an MTB and MX helmet at that time was the lower speed impacts their helmets were really not designed for more stuff above say 15+ mph. It had something to do with the density of the foam if I recall.....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's the ones I'm asking about. Not some weird detachable chinguard helmets for people who run pads on their knees. I've seen some POC models that look decent and I know POC helmets fit me well (hey it's the fit thing again) so I was curious.
Some friends who Enduro wear what I'd consider to come in that category. Sorry I can't help with brands and models as I tend not to pay too much attention.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
But my question is about helmet safety. Are DH certified Enduro helmets as sturdy as full on DH helmets? Is it as durable just less padded?
If it passes the SAME test and certification, just take a guess.... :rolleyes:
How much the test simulates the real world situation is on you to judge.

My point still stands although you don't want to hear it. Part of the safety of a helmet is how well it sits and stays on your head in a crash. I would not doubt the outer shell of an enduro helm to be as durable if it passed the same test standard. However, more ventilation holes open more possibilities for branches and pointy stones to go through one of the vents. This is not necessarily tested for.

For me, how snug a helmet sits on my head and therefore how unlikely it is that it rips off in the first impact is important. With some of the enduro helmets I am not sure that the chin bar would even have time to buffer the impact before the whole helmet rotates upward if you face plant. And that is because the helmets sit fairly lose on the head.
But you are of course right, fit doesn't matter. ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a DOT/Snell moto helmet for auto racing and holy crap, that thing is huge/solid/thick. It's a totally different level than anything bike related. It's made to bounce against a-pillars and shit. I'll die anyway because I can't fit my head through the window with the helmet on.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This is sort of related. I was talking to a guy at Shoei about 6 years back. He said the main difference between an MTB and MX helmet at that time was the lower speed impacts their helmets were really not designed for more stuff above say 15+ mph. It had something to do with the density of the foam if I recall.....
That's not really the case anymore. Plus 15mph is pathetic for a threshold in mtb.

That's one of the biggest improvements that's come from some of the double casing designs made to reduce rotational impacts (mips/6d/bell spherical etc) is that you can also design the helmet to deal with low speed impacts in moto, and higher speed impacts in mtb, both of which obviously happen. Mips is probably the worst at this since it's just a sliding sleeve but some of the beefier ones look pretty well done.

Part of that was shoei and arai knocking their athletes out when guys were crashing in moto helmets below 50mph.

These 'well it's the same certification' commenters on some of the pinner endurpo helmets obviously made for comfort over protection might want to look at what some of those certs are. A lot of them aren't that rigorous (like 15+mph)

I've cracked xc lids at about 10mph and some of those derderp helmets are constructed the same way. In that scenario, yeah works great, but I'm also buying a new helmet the next day. Burlier helmets are also more durable.

Seriously, fuck these things

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
These 'well it's the same certification' commenters on some of the pinner endurpo helmets obviously made for comfort over protection might want to look at what some of those certs are. A lot of them aren't that rigorous (like 15+mph)
This is why I put a disclaimer on it. In a lab test situation helmets with the same cert met the same standard. Real world is another story though. Yes, I am aware of that not all helmets are certified to the same level. This is why I use the Proframe as a slightly better XC helmet and not a full on DH one.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Damn, when I crashed otb and broke my elbow earlier this year wheel speed said I was doing 25mph and there’s only a little scuff in the chin bar on the gambit.