Quantcast

Most over rated and underated frame.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
underrated bikes in general overrated the fact that people on here think they know what they are talking about :)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
frznnomad said:
yeh banshee rider they do have a liftime warrenty on there frames, but weather they actually take you up on the warrenty is a different story. they have a very scrutenous test of there warrenty related frames to make sure that they meet the criteria of warrenty. they also have the worst customer service i have every had to deal with. i mean when one of the shop employees (aka:me ) knows more about the bikes than the rep there is something wrong there. so that is my 2 cents about cannondale. ohh and on top of that i really dont like there linkage of there frames. they put your weight to far over the front end and on top of that the suspension isnt a very active suspension when you look at the fsr, vpp, dw link, and the new rail system from yeti.
I work at shop that deals cannondale. I'm not aware of a single case where they have not warenteed a frame.

Your a shop employee who knows more about the rep. Big deal. Its the same case here. What exactly does that have to do with their customer service? You have no legs to stand on right now.

I'm not exactly sure where your coming from with your suspension comment. Do you just not like single pivots, or do you not know how to set up suspension?

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Banshee Rider said:
I work at shop that deals cannondale. I'm not aware of a single case where they have not warenteed a frame.

Your a shop employee who knows more about the rep. Big deal. Its the same case here. What exactly does that have to do with their customer service? You have no legs to stand on right now.

I'm not exactly sure where your coming from with your suspension comment. Do you just not like single pivots, or do you not know how to set up suspension?
I agree, I also work at a c'dale dealer, and it sounds like that guy has no idea what he's talking about. When I wanted a frame, they didn't have it in stock, so what did they do? They welded it, painted it, and sent it to me in about 2 weeks. They're also spectacular about warranty issues and we work really hard with them to make sure our customers are happy.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Brian Peterson said:
Under rated, Mountain Cycle and Rotec. I loved my 9.5, and the new RL9 is one of the few bikes that I would consider to replace it. Both of these companies suffer from the stigma of what they use to be..

Brian

Good call Brian. The 9.5 just rocks the house. I have a Rotec on the way too, can't wait to see it. If it doesnt' work out, i'm just going back to the 9.5 and calling it a day.

Have you riddent he RL9? How do they compare?

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Changleen said:
Over-rated: Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher, Ellsworth, Cove, Avalanche, SRAM family, the Evil Imperial (although the DOC is a great bike as are most of their other products), Manitou, 29", most 'high end' aluminium frames, Mountain cycle, the Horst link, 4130 (compared to all the other grades of steel availible - it is good but is used as a default far too often), Mavic Deemax wheels, V8 + V10 pedals, Hayes brakes, rootbeer, expensive headsets, Brooklyn Park Bike (a good bike, but doesn't deserve it's cult status compared to it's competition),

Under-rated: Giant, Shimano, boutique innovation, keeping it simple, good tyres, regular maintainence, good gloves, practice, rigid bikes, V-brakes.

I'll say it again: Cannondale, Trek and Gary Fisher all fvcking suck. They're really the only bike companies who I actually would rather didn't exist. Most bikes I don't 'like' I have no problem with, no negative feelings toward. For some reason the fact that these companies persist in the marketplace is a reflection on human idiocy. The lefty fork is the gheyest thing ever.

"ah whine, whine, people who don't like CD never rode one, etc. etc." No, you're wrong. They just suck really hard. Their entire design philosophy is bent.
evil imperial over-rated?? mind explaining why you feel this way? Also quite amusing since you claim the doc is better...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Overrated?
Bikes that are overpriced. How in the world can Specialized sell the Demo 9 frame for the same price as a Foes Mono with curnutt shock, hub, floating brake, chainguide, and titanium spring? Taiwanese labor should keep the Demo 9 frame price well below made in the US limited-production run bikes.

Secondly, companies that fail to innovate, and I'm sure you all know who they are. Producing the same frame for 7 years in a row is simply inexcusable. There are always improvements that can be made.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
WheelieMan said:
Overrated?
Bikes that are overpriced. How in the world can Specialized sell the Demo 9 frame for the same price as a Foes Mono with curnutt shock, hub, floating brake, chainguide, and titanium spring? Taiwanese labor should keep the Demo 9 frame price well below made in the US limited-production run bikes.
Specialized MSRP's are over priced but what you actually pay is a different story. That is why there are more demo 9's, demo 8's and bighit's out there than a Foes mono. The smaller companies do not have the cushion room on their pricing. I'm not knocking the smaller companies in any way I would love an M3 or a Ventanna El Cuervo but the price of a frameset alone from those companies I can get a complete Demo. Also what smaller company offers a lifetime warranty?

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Overrated: ODI Rogue grips, buying a part thinking it will improve your riding experience, having an uber-specialized quiver of bikes, owning a DH bike and no trail bike, expensive helmets, most multicolor paint jobs

Underrated: Simplicity, steel, DIY parts and modifications, BMX, anything from Surly, throwing your bike and helmet in the truck just in case, old road bikes converted to fixies, fenders, Oury grips, BMX pedals, halflinks, newer Kenda tires, water bottles and cages, SDG Belair seats, flames

Deserving of pretty much all praise: Evil/E13, Profile (awesome singlespeed hub), Mid-level Shimano parts (Deore, LX, and XT), Crank Brothers, most Marzocchi forks, Michelin tires

Depressing: getting completely schooled at the skatepark by teenagers on bmx bikes

Changleen said:
DMR? 24/7? Revell? Blackmarket? Tonic? Curtis?

It's Planet X who suck, not a whole genre of bikes. Actually Planet X don't even suck that badly, they're just sturdy cheap bikes that somehow have a better reputation in the US than they deserve. In the UK where they are from, they are regarded as the bottom end of the market.
Hey, alls I'm saying is that I think, if you're going to go w/this said to be stronger material, just because it's said to be stronger, don't wimp-out on the size of the tube. If you take a stronger material, but use it in smaller portions, it is only "as" strong. If you want it to be "stronger", you need to keep it atleast the same size.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
quickneonrt said:
Specialized MSRP's are over priced but what you actually pay is a different story. That is why there are more demo 9's, demo 8's and bighit's out there than a Foes mono. The smaller companies do not have the cushion room on their pricing. I'm not knocking the smaller companies in any way I would love an M3 or a Ventanna El Cuervo but the price of a frameset alone from those companies I can get a complete Demo. Also what smaller company offers a lifetime warranty?
Well, not entirely. The MSRP of the Demo 9 frame would have to be $800 less to be the same price as a Foes Mono. Certainly the MSRP is not $800 more than what a customer would actually pay. Obviously the ability to buy a complete bike from Specialized will cause them to be a better value than a boutique builder, but if you want to build a bike from scratch, a Specialized is not a good value at all.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Banshee Rider said:

ha..I just looked at the grammar and stopped reading about 2 sentences into his post. Sorry but if a person can't have somewhat readable grammar how can I value their opinion?...D

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Giant gets my vote for underrated. they make everything in house- that includes weaving their own carbon tubes and frames. Giant actually produces most cycling-related carbon stuff period. Giant also seems to be cheaper and of similar quality compared to other taiwanese companies.

made in USA does not mean what it used to... in our shop we carry gary fisher and giant as our main brands, and giant has consitently better builds and gets all the parts in the right boxes. gary fisher does not- we get bikes missing welds on cable tabs. also the cakes get loose pivots and gary fisher tells us to "locktite the bearings back into the frame". scary.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
BMXman said:
ha..I just looked at the grammar and stopped reading about 2 sentences into his post. Sorry but if a person can't have some what readable grammar how can I value their opinion?...D

:nopity:

Is that everyone's response on this forum? I'm sorry if you can't see past minor grammatical errors to see the content being presented in my post. B3s1d3z 1t'z n07 l1k3 1 w4z 7yp1ng l1k3 7h1s. Norba, T. Sage, spelling, you guys will find just about anything to whine about! :thumb:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
WheelieMan said:
Obviously the ability to buy a complete bike from Specialized will cause them to be a better value than a boutique builder, but if you want to build a bike from scratch, a Specialized is not a good value at all.
Actually you can buy a complete bike sell off what you dont like and put on the parts you want. You will still be ahead of the game.
But the way the new Demo8 II comes spec'd what more could you really want. It's perfect out of the box.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Banshee Rider said:
:nopity:

Is that everyone's response on this forum? I'm sorry if you can't see past minor grammatical errors to see the content being presented in my post. B3s1d3z 1t'z n07 l1k3 1 w4z 7yp1ng l1k3 7h1s. Norba, T. Sage, spelling, you guys will find just about anything to whine about! :thumb:
I'm not attacking you personally....I'm not saying you have to have perfect grammar. I know I don't but your errors are no where near minor. Seriously, that's the way the world works if you want to get your opinion across and have people value and respect it...D

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
klunky said:
You mean use Loc-tite bearing fit im guessing. I use that on all suspension frames :)

NO, The bearings basically fall out of the frame, and we are supposed to put locktite on the outside surface of the bearing and put them back in the frame. the locktite actually holds the bearings in the frame, instead of a proper press fit.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
dcamp29 said:
Giant gets my vote for underrated. they make everything in house- that includes weaving their own carbon tubes and frames. Giant actually produces most cycling-related carbon stuff period. Giant also seems to be cheaper and of similar quality compared to other taiwanese companies.

85% of bikes made overseas are made by Giant (the name really fits!). And considering that they do their own tubing, butting, hydro-forming, and painting in-house they get absolute control of the way everything comes out. And since they have HUGE component buying power they pass the savings on to the customer. Giant bikes are inexpensive and have a great parts spec. Not to mention they are pretty high quality.

I'm with you all the way. Giant deserves more respect.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
dhmtbj said:
evil imperial over-rated?? mind explaining why you feel this way? Also quite amusing since you claim the doc is better...
Oh, it's a good frame for sure, but it's very heavy and people worship it like it's the definitive word in Hardtail freeride. It's not. It's just another high end frame. I think there are more innovative frames out there which are more worthy of praise.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
klunky said:
In my experiance USA built frames are better quality.

If a company in USA send there designs to some factory in Taiwan to get there frames/bikes made there is a larger chance of things going wrong due to the assemble line being bigger.

Mr Joe Taiwan welds a frame incorrectly he might not care. He has welded 15 frames up already that day and so what if one of them is a little bit squint - like anyone will notice and like it will affect him anyway.

Mr Joe USA if he welds the frame incorrectly its probably going to end up back on his desk being asked why.
Dude, You think people in Taiwan don't have managers? You think Taiwan got to be so huge by being slack on quality control? Plus I'd personally say Joe USA is more likely to not care than Mr. Taiwan.
Also you think the horst link is over rated yet you love specialized?
People rave too much about the Horst link. It's a good design, but there are many good designs.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Haha I found a Leet conveerter online:
G1A/\/7 g3+$ |\/|y VO73 pHO|2 |_||\||)3R|2/-\7ED. ThEy |\/|@k3 E\/3|2y+h|/\/g 1N hO|_|53- +h4+ I/\/(|_\_/|)E$ WE@V1|\|g Th3!R O\/\/|\| (4|280/\/ 7|_|8E5 A|\||) pH|24ME5. G1A|\|7 /-\(+|_|ALLy pR0|)UC3$ |\/|O$7 CyCL1|\|g-RELA7ED C/-\R|3ON ST\_/pHF pE|2!0|). G|/-\N7 4L$O 533M5 70 B3 Ch3@pE|2 @/\/|) OF 51M![]_/-\R qUA|_ITy (OMp@|23|) 7O O7h3R T4|W4|\|3SE (0|\/|p4/\/|ES.

M@D3 |N USA D035 /\/OT M3@|\| WhA7 !7 \_/S3|) TO... I/\/ OU|2 ShOp WE (/-\|2Ry g/-\Ry FISh3|2 AN|) gI4N7 @$ OU|2 MA!|\| |3|24ND5, A|\||) g1/-\N+ h@5 (O|\|$I7E|\|T|_y |33T73|2 |3|_|1[]_D$ AND g375 AL[]_ Th3 pA|2+S I/\/ ThE |21ghT 80X35. g4|2y F!5hE|2 |)0E5 |\|0T- \/\/E g3+ |3|k35 M|$5||\|g \/\/3|_D5 0N C@8|_3 +AB5. /-\[]_S0 Th3 C/-\kE$ g3+ LO0$E p|\/0T$ AN|) g@|2y |=I$h3R T3LL5 U5 7O "|_0Ck+|73 +h3 BE@RI|\|gS |3@(k !|\|T0 7h3 pH|2@|\/|3". 5(4Ry.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
dropmachine.com said:
Good call Brian. The 9.5 just rocks the house. I have a Rotec on the way too, can't wait to see it. If it doesnt' work out, i'm just going back to the 9.5 and calling it a day.

Have you riddent he RL9? How do they compare?
I think Mountain Cycle is underrated. Sure, some of their stuff looks a little cheesy (who knows, though, maybe the San Andreas DNA rides well....) but I really like my 9.5. Bought it second hand, no problems yet. The first time I really rode it DH I won a race...won the next one on it as well... Has some well thought out features and a simple, solid design. IMO, it handles better than most other bikes I've tried.

Most of this thread is bogus, but here's a bit of my opinion.
Overrated- Avalanche (had one for a while, wasn't that impressed)
Under- Shimano (most all their stuff, especially crank/BB combos)

Cannondale is a good company. Makes solid bikes. I don't know why people hate. I worked for a dealer for a while and we had very few problems with Cannondale or Trek/GF/Bontrager in terms of warranties or stuff breaking all the time (except for those sugar/fuel seattubes that kept breaking...but they all got warrantied).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Changleen said:
Oh, it's a good frame for sure, but it's very heavy and people worship it like it's the definitive word in Hardtail freeride. It's not. It's just another high end frame. I think there are more innovative frames out there which are more worthy of praise.
Very heavy? It's 6lbs.

I'd be interested to know what other innovative frames you're referring to? A hardtail has only so much innovation built into it, and the unique Imperial geometry, 1.5" headtube, slack seattube (which is a love/hate thing, I know, but it serves its purpose well for me), and XXX dropouts are about as innovative as it comes. To have engineered that much strength into a 6lb frame is a feat in and of itself.

I don't care if ya' like it :), I'm just wondering what other hardtail frames you'd consider innovative if the Imperial isn't.

Oh, and I'd say that Kona is a highly overrated brand. Their build quality is mediocre at best, their innovation is zero, and their paint jobs get uglier every year.

Now that Giant is getting into some different suspension designs and has had their great DH bike on the market for several years, they fit less into the underrated category, but I've always thought Giant provided a really awesome bang-for-the-buck. Their AC lineup has provided kickass componentry and a solid frame for a great price, and their DH bike is just a good solid frame, but also affordable.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Enginerd A2 said:
Overrated: owning a DH bike and no trail bike,
Living in Ann Arbor I agree. However elsewhere in the world some of us ride shuttle DH 3-4 times a week.

Over Rated: VPP 4x bikes (Blur, Tazer VPP)

Under Rated: Yeti DJ

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Enginerd A2 said:
Overrated: ODI Rogue grips, buying a part thinking it will improve your riding experience, having an uber-specialized quiver of bikes, owning a DH bike and no trail bike, expensive helmets, most multicolor paint jobs

Underrated: Simplicity, steel, DIY parts and modifications, BMX, anything from Surly, throwing your bike and helmet in the truck just in case, old road bikes converted to fixies, fenders, Oury grips, BMX pedals, halflinks, newer Kenda tires, water bottles and cages, SDG Belair seats, flames

Deserving of pretty much all praise: Evil/E13, Profile (awesome singlespeed hub), Mid-level Shimano parts (Deore, LX, and XT), Crank Brothers, most Marzocchi forks, Michelin tires

Depressing: getting completely schooled at the skatepark by teenagers on bmx bikes

Enginerd, I think you had one of the best posts in this thread so far. :) I definitely agree with just about everything you said in over rated and underrated. And the depressing part, the sad thing is I am a teenager. ;) :p

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Overrated: acting cool and glamerous because you´re into mountain biking, especially racing; bikes that cost more than 2k; and the need to shuttle everything possible.

Underrated: the homegrown, soulfull status of mountain biking right now; technical climbing; spending all day riding with your pals; and back yard barbeques after a good day of riding.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
underated= haro bikes, the new ones are awsome yet i have heard somepeople call them wallmart bikes? i just don't understand

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
overrated? Expensive top of the line hubs and headsets

underrated? SRAM X.7, Azonic Outlaw wheelsets, Boxxers

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If anything I think Specialized complete bikes are under-rated due to the lifetime warranty. I ran a 99 FSR Elite that broke at the bb/st weld and I sent in the front triangle only because I had been running a different mountainspeed 6" rear end. They sent me an '05 Stumpjumper pro frame with a shock. That's a good deal!